Were did it all start going wrong?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlofan96
Team Supported: Darlington

Were did it all start going wrong?

Post by darlofan96 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:22 pm

Well seeing as I was only a fan at the start or last season and about half way through started listening to games and looking on here. Were do you all think it start going wrong?
Also I don't understand anything about the stadium. Why it was built why is it so big? Why we dont own it? So if someone could explain I would be very greatfull. Sorry if I sound a bit stupid!!

Quakerz

Re: Were did it all start going wrong?

Post by Quakerz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Things started going wrong in 1883.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

darlofan96

Post by darlofan96 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Quakerz wrote:Things started going wrong in 1883.
Na seriously ?

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:34 pm

Every s*** thing that has happened was caused by the shite before it, so 1883 isn't a bad shout. Most will probably put Reynolds as the root cause, but he only came in because we were on our arses due to Peden / Brearley building a stand we couldn't afford and all the other stuff at that time.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

darlofan96

Post by darlofan96 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:Every s*** thing that has happened was caused by the shite before it, so 1883 isn't a bad shout. Most will probably put Reynolds as the root cause, but he only came in because we were on our arses due to Peden / Brearley building a stand we couldn't afford and all the other stuff at that time.
But why did we build that god damn stadium!?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:41 pm

darlofan96 wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:Every s*** thing that has happened was caused by the shite before it, so 1883 isn't a bad shout. Most will probably put Reynolds as the root cause, but he only came in because we were on our arses due to Peden / Brearley building a stand we couldn't afford and all the other stuff at that time.
Because Reynolds was on a huge ego trip.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:42 pm

Ironically it all began against Mansfield in September :crazy:
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

divas

Post by divas » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:43 pm

Let's not forget that GR had to come in because we were in dire financial trouble whilst still at Feethams. Mike Pedan building the new east stand was the real start IMO.

darlofan96

Post by darlofan96 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:44 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
darlofan96 wrote:
But surly he had advisers to tell him that it was pointless, and what did the fans think at the time?

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:46 pm

To play in the Premier League of course.

And Reynolds spat his dummy out at an increase in rent from the cricket club.

And probably the main factor, someone said he shouldn't / couldn't.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:53 pm

darlofan96 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
darlofan96 wrote:
But surly he had advisers to tell him that it was pointless, and what did the fans think at the time?
my father's company helped build the stadium and he has often told me how his 'advisor's' didn't have the guts to stand up to George.

darlofan96

Post by darlofan96 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:56 pm

Ash_Quaker wrote:
darlofan96 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
darlofan96 wrote:
my father's company helped build the stadium and he has often told me how his 'advisor's' didn't have the guts to stand up to George.
Well them there not very good advisers then haha! Why were they afraid incase they got fired for doing there jobs?

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:02 pm

spot on.

darlofan96

Post by darlofan96 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:05 pm

So if we stayed at feethams would this all be different?

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:08 pm

I wouldn't go that far,don't know if it was possible but surely would of been a more sensible option to add to the capacity of Feethams.

darlofan96

Post by darlofan96 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:12 pm

Ash_Quaker wrote:I wouldn't go that far,don't know if it was possible but surely would of been a more sensible option to add to the capacity of Feethams.
Recorn we would still be in the football league? Or just wouldn't be losing 80k per month

hoofingdisaster
Team Supported: ???

Post by hoofingdisaster » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Basically the clubs had too many owners whove ran up too many debts robbed the club or havent got the money to fund the club and now theres a massive empty stadium with a hardcore 1300 fans in it complimented by the occasional fair weather fan.

The club has been dying for years but death is now very close. The club is stuck in non league football with no money very few fans a council who dont want a football club and the players dont care neither.

Even if the club survives theres no money to improve the squad.non league freebee signings will only keep the club at a non league level.players are only usually free if they are either inexperienced and have no promise or aged and past it and im afraid darlo dont have players who would walk into many teams in the top 10 of the league let alone grace the football league.

Singhs heart is in the right place and hes superbly funded the club til now but lets face it there will never be anything more than funding losses.darlo could never be in a position to pay £20k+ on proper experienced players who do a proper job or have a decent wage budget.only abramovich or a rich asian would be able to change things.

darlofan96

Post by darlofan96 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:32 pm

So say raj threw in the towl 2moro What would happen to the club?

darlodavid117

Post by darlodavid117 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:32 pm

We need a foreign owner with bags of cash - thats what successful clubs do lol :lol:

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:33 pm

Not even sure staying at Feethams would have been more beneficial - it was crumbling, needed a lot of work and had a motherfucker of a drainage problem (downpours at 2-30/7-00 often lead to matches being postponed) caused by the East Stand. That would have cost a bit, but obviously not anywhere near as much as the Arena.

Equally, the Arena for a couple of years or so raised the profile of the club - crowds were up and the club got a bit more media coverage on the back of the GR bandwagon and subsequent collapse, difficult to see what GR would have done with Feethams, or even if he'd bothered with the club if he hadn't been able to build the arena. Either way he was a stubborn c*** who's fought fire with fire and only knew his way (that itself is worth a book being written).

But for me, the first real modern-day alarm bells were when we trotted out at Wembley in May 1996 in brand new shirts sponsored by a company that didn't actually exist (Soccerdome). The company we severed ties with.......

....was Orange!!!!!!

That's where we really s*** out as a football club, right there.
Last edited by Mullet69 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:34 pm

darlofan96 wrote:So say raj threw in the towl 2moro What would happen to the club?
We'd end up in administration and shortly after bust. There's no coming back from Raj knocking it on the head because there are no buyers.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

darlodavid117

Post by darlodavid117 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Ill miss u guys :cry:

hoofingdisaster
Team Supported: ???

Post by hoofingdisaster » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:38 pm

Tony blair must have a few quid maybe he could take over im sure he couldnt mess darlo up anymore than he ruined the uk economy lol

Tinshed83

Post by Tinshed83 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Tony Blair? What are you on?!? Is this a poolie on a wind up!?!?!

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:55 pm

Tinshed83 wrote:Tony Blair? What are you on?!? Is this a poolie on a wind up!?!?!
No - a Poolie would have suggested Mandellson. :lol:

Talc

Post by Talc » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:21 pm

We've always been ran like a Greek politician was in charge. My second year of supporting Darlo the buckets were out, Southampton and Keegan turned up to help us out. As Makka Pakka sez we were out of business if Reynolds hadn't took over. Can you remember our conversationn with Pete and Wayne then saying any fucker but him, but if he's the only one? A lot of Darlo folk hadn't heard of him, poor c**** do now.

Then there was the twat Houghton, Reynolds was a clueless fucker but I still reckon his heart was in the right place, just didn't have a brain to keep it company. Houghton was just a robbing crook who is the biggest b****** of them all.

Mullet's point about Orange and Soccerdome is very valid and probably been missed by many fans over the years, including myself.

I've always supported darlo expecting this day would come in my lifetime, doesn't make it any easier like, just not surprised. My only saving grace is I'm not there to see the end.

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Talc wrote:We've always been ran like a Greek politician was in charge. My second year of supporting Darlo the buckets were out, Southampton and Keegan turned up to help us out. As Makka Pakka sez we were out of business if Reynolds hadn't took over. Can you remember our conversationn with Pete and Wayne then saying any fucker but him, but if he's the only one? A lot of Darlo folk hadn't heard of him, poor c**** do now.

Then there was the twat Houghton, Reynolds was a clueless fucker but I still reckon his heart was in the right place, just didn't have a brain to keep it company. Houghton was just a robbing crook who is the biggest b****** of them all.

Mullet's point about Orange and Soccerdome is very valid and probably been missed by many fans over the years, including myself.

I've always supported darlo expecting this day would come in my lifetime, doesn't make it any easier like, just not surprised. My only saving grace is I'm not there to see the end.
Soccerdome and Mr Mike Peden, then building a stand for somewhat 4mil. Then the club goes into debt. Infact i still have my match program against Peterborough when we got beat two nil and we thought GR wasnt going to buy the club. Signed my match program aswell. £5 in the worthy stand back then. If only prices were still like that these days, we'd have more through the gates for sure

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:34 pm

Does anybody really know the story behind Soccerdome? Was it just created as part of some money laundering scam? Did we really kick Orange out, or did the deal just end?

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:41 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:Does anybody really know the story behind Soccerdome? Was it just created as part of some money laundering scam? Did we really kick Orange out, or did the deal just end?
From what i remember it was actually meant to be a few football and 5 a side pitches under one roof near cummins. It just never quite took off.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/archiv ... _reaction/

Found that with a little google work :P Same can be done for Mike Peden. Seems DFC has a knack of having shady businessmen somehow involved constantly. RS might be a crook but PS & SS that own our stadium and land are both crooks

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:59 pm

read and weep

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... darlington