Darlington FC: a series of articles

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Brodie_Mill
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington FC: a series of articles

Post by Brodie_Mill » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi

For my final project at University, I study Sports Journalism, I am going to do a series of articles, in-depth, looking at the fall of Darlington FC (I had planned this initially at the start of the season with the view that the last article would be up-lifting along the angle that the club is resurgent under Cooper and Singh and the football league is where Darlo are heading but I should have known better I guess) starting from when George Reynolds first took over.

The first article will be about when Reynolds first taking over and all the euphoria surrounding that, grand plans etc, big-name players.

The second article is the fall-out from the Peterborough play-off final loss, Hodgson leaving, players wages published, Mrs Reynolds, people being banned from the ground, home visits and ultimately administration.

The third article will be about how Hodgson and Davies went about revitalising Darlo despite the difficulties (chairman by accident etc) the galacticos Armstrong, Wijnhard, Hignett, Petta even Phil Stamp!

The fourth article will be George Houghton taking over, hiring Dave Penney - the big promotion push. Some fantastic games, goals, players but then the rug was well and truly pulled...

The fifth article will be Singh taking over, come out of admin, only 2 players though. Todd and Staunton mess up, ridiculous number of players and relegation. The Davey episode, not to mention Kidd. Then struggling in the conference... but we do win the FA Trophy.

The sixth article, well, we'll have to see about I guess...

The articles will include quotes from many journalists who have covered Darlo, hopefully Ray Simpson, hopefully Raj, hopefully Scott? And David Hodgson.

What I need to do though is show that people would be very interested in reading my pieces though: so if people could please let me know whether or not you would read the articles that would be great and why or anything else basically... faults, how I could improve it and so on. Cheers

Thank you

p.s We can get through this latest disaster, I don't know how but we can.
Twitter: @BrodieMill91

joejaques

Re: Darlington FC: a series of articles

Post by joejaques » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:42 pm

I'll certainly read whatever you produce. Looks like we won't have any match reports to read anyway. :roll:

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:43 pm

I would be interested to read this article aswell :ugeek:
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:56 pm

Be careful who you choose if you're looking for proof readers!

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:57 pm

I'd have a read. You may even be able to get some people involved at the time to give you their perspective on things now looking back as well. I remember when I did a piece for Daniel King's 'Where's the Money Gone' website, I sent Hodgy a letter and questionnaire about his time at Darlo (This was probably about 2002 time), and he was happy to send a reply back which was a welcome surprise

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:59 pm

I'd give it a read mate :)

Brodie_Mill

Post by Brodie_Mill » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:52 pm

Nimrod wrote:I'd have a read. You may even be able to get some people involved at the time to give you their perspective on things now looking back as well. I remember when I did a piece for Daniel King's 'Where's the Money Gone' website, I sent Hodgy a letter and questionnaire about his time at Darlo (This was probably about 2002 time), and he was happy to send a reply back which was a welcome surprise
Yeah that's the aim. I don't want it just to be my view, the aim is for me to just report the events objectively and then bring in people's comments. I've spoken with Hodgy and he was fantastic with me and is willing to help me as much as possible!

Thanks everyone to your replies so far as well. Really appreciate it.

Brodie_Mill

Post by Brodie_Mill » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:29 pm

Any more replies to this? Very much appreciated if so.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:39 pm

+1 here fella
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

wellingaway

Post by wellingaway » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:37 pm

I'll read them mate.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:39 pm

Happy to help.

I might be temted with an artcile setting out the posistion pre Reynolds to put the rest in some sort of context. A brief histor yof the club, how things became so bad that Reynolds looked like a good idea, Steve Morgon, Brierley et al!

Brodie_Mill

Post by Brodie_Mill » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:02 pm

MKDarlo wrote:Happy to help.

I might be temted with an artcile setting out the posistion pre Reynolds to put the rest in some sort of context. A brief histor yof the club, how things became so bad that Reynolds looked like a good idea, Steve Morgon, Brierley et al!
Thank you.

Because of my age, 20, I'm not too clued up with what was going on at the club pre-Reynolds bar what the 'official' history would say...

So, what was going on?

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:29 pm

I'd defo be interested in having a read through. There are a lot of people on the MB who are better authorities on Darlo than me, but I am a proofreader by trade (if you can call it a trade!), so let us know if you're after any general proofreading advice.