Non-league north-east sides in the FA Cup

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Non-league north-east sides in the FA Cup

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:52 pm

I believe that the only survivor from the north-east after the second qualifying round this weekend is Blyth Spartans. Every Northern League side have already been illiminated after this weekends round. I used to remember when you'd always have two or three Northern League sides in the first round proper of the FA Cup in November. Has the Northern League standard dropped at the expense of other leagues in the country? I don't know as I don't very often watch non-league football. Of course I do realise that Gateshead & York haven't played yet in the qualifying rounds.

quakersam

Re: Non-league north-east sides in the FA Cup

Post by quakersam » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:06 pm

I've been following our north-east teams in the FA Cup this year to see how they did. I even went to see Norton play FC Halifax Town a fortnight ago when we didn't have a game. Jarrow Roofing, Horden and Spennymoor were the only NL clubs left in yesterday, but all were knocked out to higher league sides. They have done well to get through 3 rounds and add a bit of money to their kitty.
Blyth won 7-1 yesterday so they are through to the 3rd Qualifying round. Gateshead and York come in at the 4th Qual, one stage before we enter and hopefully get through this year :) At least we won't be playing Droylsden as they were on the end of a 2-0 defeat by Halifax who are 2 divisions below them yesterday
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:18 pm

So Sam why are Northern League clubs not making the first round proper like they used too? I may be wrong but I don't think any NL clubs made it last season either. Obviously there is the potential to make a lot of money the further a team progresses.

PJPoolie
Team Supported: Pools

Post by PJPoolie » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:23 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:So Sam why are Northern League clubs not making the first round proper like they used too? I may be wrong but I don't think any NL clubs made it last season either. Obviously there is the potential to make a lot of money the further a team progresses.
Blyth knocked out two league clubs and played Blackburn in the third round only last season.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:05 pm

PJPoolie wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:So Sam why are Northern League clubs not making the first round proper like they used too? I may be wrong but I don't think any NL clubs made it last season either. Obviously there is the potential to make a lot of money the further a team progresses.
Blyth knocked out two league clubs and played Blackburn in the third round only last season.
Blyth aren't in the northern league. The last NL team i remember getting to the first round proper was shildon about 5 years ago who got a good thrashing off notts county. I don't think the leagues as good as it used to be. I've watched Aycliffe a few times this season and quite a few NL teams are utter gash, including aycliffe of late but they've suffered alot of injuries/suspensions so ill let them off, not that i'm biased or anything. :)

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:01 pm

quakersam wrote:I've been following our north-east teams in the FA Cup this year to see how they did. I even went to see Norton play FC Halifax Town a fortnight ago when we didn't have a game. Jarrow Roofing, Horden and Spennymoor were the only NL clubs left in yesterday, but all were knocked out to higher league sides. They have done well to get through 3 rounds and add a bit of money to their kitty.
Blyth won 7-1 yesterday so they are through to the 3rd Qualifying round. Gateshead and York come in at the 4th Qual, one stage before we enter and hopefully get through this year :) At least we won't be playing Droylsden as they were on the end of a 2-0 defeat by Halifax who are 2 divisions below them yesterday
So Droylsden have already decided that the FA Cup will distract from their attempts to get into the Conference. Scary stuff.

Penney did the same for us last year and look what happened when we lost the cup money and the chance of a big tie.

willphil
Team Supported: Darlington FC, Cas Tigers RLFC

Post by willphil » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:12 pm

I think Shildon were the last Northern league side to make the 1st round proper, away to Notts Co, about 7 years ago ?

Redcar_Quaker

Post by Redcar_Quaker » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:10 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I used to remember when you'd always have two or three Northern League sides in the first round proper of the FA Cup in November.
Not sure when you're thinking of Pete, but like WillPhil says a Northern League team hasn't got through to the first round proper for quite a few years. Don't forget that the two divisions are the 5th and 6th steps of the non league ladder so for a Northern League team to make it to the first round proper would be a massive achievement. Often they have to get through 5 or 6 rounds of football to get to the first round.

Juan_kosoff

Post by Juan_kosoff » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:01 pm

The above two poster are pretty much correct. Me and a fellow Darlo idiot/supporter racked our brains in the bar tonight to think of the last NL team to get to the first round,and we couldnt think of anyone after Shildon(and we are both more than regular NL attenders)
And you saying why dont Northern League teams progress in the FA Cup because theres money to be made? Ridiculous,thats like saying why dont Darlo win the FA Cup because they get some money.Ooh that will be easy wont it !
As an aside,i thought i recognized a fellow Darlo fan at Norton at the Halifax game,was that you quakersam to the very left at the back of the stand as you look at the pitch ?

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:11 pm

I don't think so bud, I was near the cafe hut just as you walk in, but on the dugout side of the pitch. I was with 2 other lads I no who came along, they were both wearing Darlo tops but I wasn't :)
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

ShrewsX

Post by ShrewsX » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:44 pm

willphil wrote:I think Shildon were the last Northern league side to make the 1st round proper, away to Notts Co, about 7 years ago ?
Shildon were the last Northern League side to be shown live on television I think, and you are right it was Notts County. though since then I think theres been a few. Billingham Synthonia rings a bell for some reason
Season 2009/10 - They think its all over.... It is now. Darlo FC, Blue Square Premier 2010/11

The Tees Mouth

Post by The Tees Mouth » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:47 am

Harrogate Railway were on BBC a couple of years ago against Mansfield in the second round. They beat harrogate town in the first round so surely they must be the last northern league side.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:17 am

My knowledge of non-league football in the north east is a bit sketchy these days. Time was I could rant on and on about it.

Anyway, during one of the many pyramid shake ups some years back, the Northern League powers that be, chose to not be a part of the pyramid system, and run as equals along side the unibond...but with no automatic promotion at the time to the conference. This was done at the time to save money as away days to Birmingham and Staffordshire was not sustainable. Unfortunately this meant that most clubs could not attract the players as there was greater incentive to play in the unibond. Therefore the league got weaker and the member clubs stiffled themself of progression. This is why you see clubs like Whitby and Whitley Bay playing in the unibond because they have chosen to attempt to better themselves. Durham have been the most recent to try. But have been hampered and look like the only way they can survive is to go back to the Northern league.

This is why you don't see Northern League clubs in the FA Cup proper rounds. They just aren't good enough any more.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:29 am

Harrogate Railway were on BBC a couple of years ago against Mansfield in the second round. They beat harrogate town in the first round so surely they must be the last northern league side.

Neither Harrogate Town or Railway play in the Northern League
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:30 pm

Alot less Northern League teams are in this years competiton as the FA wanted to reduce the number of teams in it.

Only the teams in NL 1 and the top 8 teams from last seasons div2 were entered this year.

Crook Town made the 4th Qualifying round a few years ago before going out against Doncaster.

West Auckland made the 1st rd proper when Paul Adamson was playing for them.

Also alot of Northern league clubs were drawn against each other in the earlier qualifers therefore knocking each other out.
Think before posting

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Have Darlington RA ever been entered into the FA Cup?

Redcar_Quaker

Post by Redcar_Quaker » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:12 pm

BUSHEAD wrote:Only the teams in NL 1 and the top 8 teams from last seasons div2 were entered this year.
Don't think that's right, Bushead. I think only the bottom 4 of NL2 weren't allowed entry this year (sadly, this included RA). You're right about the FA wanting to reduce the number of entrants - they had too many this year and the lowest ranked from the previous season from Step 6 weren't allowed entry.

I've checked and Shildon were the last NL team to reach the 1st round in 2003 - they got beat 7-2 by Notts County. Before that it was 1998/9 when both West Auckland and Bedlington got to the 1st round and I think Bedlington beat Colchester to reach the 2nd round.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:03 am

Yes, 3 or 4 times.

Onthe subject of the Northern Leagues strength , i'd like to point out that they do have quite a good record in the FA Vase.
Think before posting

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:57 am

But surely the FA Vase is a poor man's FA Cup isn't it? And there's nowhere near as much potential cash for having a good run.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:33 pm

First Round Qualifying winners (116) £800
Second Round Qualifying winners (168) £900
First Round Proper winners (103) £1,000
Second Round Proper winners (64) £1,200
Third Round Proper winners (32) £1,300
Fourth Round Proper winners (16) £1,500
Fifth Round Proper winners (8) £2,000
Sixth Round Proper winners (4) £5,000
Semi Final winners (2) £7,000
Final runners-up (1) £10,000
Final winners (1) £20,000

And its culminates , so if you wont 1st and 2nd round qualifying you'd get £1700

The Northern League is said to be of a high standard (at step 6) as not many clubs move up the football leagues ladder , unlike teams of similar standing, NECL teams etc.
Think before posting

Redcar_Quaker

Post by Redcar_Quaker » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:01 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:But surely the FA Vase is a poor man's FA Cup isn't it? And there's nowhere near as much potential cash for having a good run.
But surely the FA Vase is a poor man's FA Cup isn't it? And there's nowhere near as much potential cash for having a good run.
Pete, your missing the point totally. The FA Vase IS the FA Cup for lower ranked non-league teams - Step 5 and lower. The vast majority of teams that enter it will fancy their chances of a decent run and Northern League teams have an excellent record in the competition. Like Bushead shows, there is excellent money to be made from a decent run in the Vase. For example, Marske United, who are in the same league as RA got the Quarters last year and earned nearly 10k for that.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:43 am

No its you that is missing my point. Years ago there were NL teams in the FA Cup first round proper on a regular basis, now there hasn't been one in it for 10 years. The standard of the NL in comparison with other non-league divisions has clearly slipped.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:15 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:No its you that is missing my point. Years ago there were NL teams in the FA Cup first round proper on a regular basis, now there hasn't been one in it for 10 years. The standard of the NL in comparison with other non-league divisions has clearly slipped.
Isn't it that the Northern League, Unibond, etc have been pushed down the pyramid with the Conference North/South squeezing in.

I remember Northwich Vics coming out of the Cheshire League to be founder members of the (then) Northern Premier League (now Unibond) which used to directly feed the FA Conference.

Northern League teams are now starting from lower down and that's why they get knocked out sooner.

Redcar_Quaker

Post by Redcar_Quaker » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:16 pm

[quote="Darlo_Pete"]No its you that is missing my point. Years ago there were NL teams in the FA Cup first round proper on a regular basis, now there hasn't been one in it for 10 years. The standard of the NL in comparison with other non-league divisions has clearly slipped.

Pete, try reading the posts rather than just counting them. To start off with, the last Northern League team to reach the first round was 6 years ago, not 10.

Secondly, I want actual proof that "years ago" NL teams got to the first round on a regular basis.

The Northern League has always been a fair way down the pyramid so it's not a case of the standards slipping at all - there's just a lot of teams who are rated higher in pyramid terms.

RA1919
Team Supported: Darlington RA

Post by RA1919 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:48 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Have Darlington RA ever been entered into the FA Cup?
The furthest we've been is the Preliminary Round.
Darlo_Pete wrote:No its you that is missing my point. Years ago there were NL teams in the FA Cup first round proper on a regular basis, now there hasn't been one in it for 10 years. The standard of the NL in comparison with other non-league divisions has clearly slipped.
The NL is now further down the pyramid than it used to be. Add to this the fact that not all of the Division 2 clubs were allowed in this year it is no suprise that none of them have got close the the First Round this season.
Darlington RA keeping the faith