Ryan Valentine

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Ryan Valentine

Post by divas » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:50 pm

For those who posted on the valentine thread whether he was gash or not - who would now take him back?

i said he was average at the time, and i wasnt too fussed about him leaving....

what id do for him at the club now, head and shoulders above anything ive seen in the full back positions

im sure one or two others who slagged the lad off would also like to see him here now.

DarloOnTheUp

Re: Ryan Valentine

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:52 pm

He's better than James but about the same as Starosta.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:53 pm

no fucking way, valentine couldnt pass but at least he could do the basics and defend, ive yet to see that from starosta.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:54 pm

divas wrote:no fucking way, valentine couldnt pass but at least he could do the basics and defend, ive yet to see that from starosta.
"valentine couldnt pass but at least he could do the basics and defend"

Er, no he couldn't.

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Valentine is better than Starosta.

d5rlo

Post by d5rlo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:01 pm

I was sad to see Valentine go and let's not forget that he was somebody who Todd did try and keep... maybe because he knew we'd struggle to find better full-backs to replace him.

Having said that I think Starosta will do alright, he doesn't seem the best defensively but he looks quite good on the ball (howler v Sunderland aside) and fans of his previous clubs were positive enough about him. And the left-back from Hull today was decent.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:03 pm

Where is Valentine now?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:05 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
divas wrote:no fucking way, valentine couldnt pass but at least he could do the basics and defend, ive yet to see that from starosta.
"valentine couldnt pass but at least he could do the basics and defend"

Er, no he couldn't.
Er, yes he could. With a cherry on top.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:05 pm

Hilly wrote:Where is Valentine now?
Hereford

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:08 pm

d5rlo wrote:I was sad to see Valentine go and let's not forget that he was somebody who Todd did try and keep... maybe because he knew we'd struggle to find better full-backs to replace him.

Having said that I think Starosta will do alright, he doesn't seem the best defensively but he looks quite good on the ball (howler v Sunderland aside) and fans of his previous clubs were positive enough about him. And the left-back from Hull today was decent.
If as you say that Starosta is "not the best defensively", then he won't do "alright" because it is impossible for a defender that cannot defender to do alright, just as a striker that cannot score cannot be alright.

We've been down this well trodden road before with defenders that look good on the ball and decent going forward but cannot defend, and it NEVER turns out alright in the end.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:09 pm

Heskey never scores. Yet he is good.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:14 pm

He isn't.

I talked to a Liverpool scout once who HATED Heskey. He was right, and also, knows what he is talking about.

d5rlo

Post by d5rlo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:16 pm

Modern day full-backs do more than just defend. For all we know, he might be fine defending against League Two wingers but he did get skinned a couple of times by Premier League wingers. What was obvious though was that he can pass the ball out of defence and overlap, which gives him an advantage over a lot of lower league full-backs who're content to hoof it into touch and invite more pressure on the defence.

Anyway in 95-96 we had Simon Shaw AND Mark Bernard, neither of whom could defend for s***, but we did alright that season! I hope Starosta can defend a little bit better than those two though.

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:10 am

How can anyone say Valentine is better than Starosta ? keep the bloke a chance FFS, looked solid 2nd half yesterday - rate him after 10-15 games...