Liddle willing to stand down

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Liddle is god
Team Supported: Darlington

Liddle willing to stand down

Post by Liddle is god » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:37 pm

charlie

Re: Liddle willing to stand down

Post by charlie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:39 pm

NO its not Lidds fault his hands are tied

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Heard this in his post match interview. Have to say, I've never heard anyone think he's anything other than god, so not sure where the criticism has come from?

micra3

Post by micra3 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Didn't help when he was told about comments made by certain keyboard warriors on a 'football website' :thumbdown:
M I C R A 3

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:42 pm

Is he that sensitive?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

charlie

Post by charlie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:42 pm

:thumbdown:

micra3

Post by micra3 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:43 pm

m62exile wrote:Heard this in his post match interview. Have to say, I've never heard anyone think he's anything other than god, so not sure where the criticism has come from?

You obviously didn't look here on Saturday night
M I C R A 3

LoidPhil

Post by LoidPhil » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:45 pm

Smells like someone tipped him off about the Alfreton match thread. Apparently there's no column in the league table for legends.

charlie

Post by charlie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:46 pm

Quakerz wrote:Is he that sensitive?

Probably not under normal circumstances, but I dont think any of us have given much thought to hard this job is for the man, he said in the echo hes up at 7 making phone calls and still doing it at 11pm. He keeps coming up against brick walls, the pressure on the man must be unreal, so yea he prob has been a bit hurt and a bit more sensitive than in normal circumstances. Personally I think the man deserves a bloody medal for not walking weeks ago. I dont want him to go

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:47 pm

Storm in a teacup.

We lost a game that the players agree we shouldn't have lost, that the management agree we shouldn't have lost - so a fan points out that even a weakened Darlo side should have got something from 10 man Alfreton (the players and management agree!!) it is somehow hurtful or unacceptable to say?

Massive storm in a teacup.

Fuck this s***.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:52 pm

Well if the likes of you and whoever else was suggestively questioning his ability the other day would get some perspective then there wouldn't be such a problem.

It'd piss me right off if someone did that after I'd put more into this club than anyone else has for the last few months, somehow managed to keep some sort of first team together in the face of total adversity, single handedly kept however many youth teams going simultaneously, all the time while no doubt getting pennies to support the family who should be the one's who come first above anything else. He could have so easily walked away from it all.

Anyone with half a brain cell will appreciate the magnificent work he is doing just to field a team at the moment. I hope he doesn't take notice of these utter pipe ends that think otherwise.

charlie

Post by charlie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:54 pm

:clap:
Wijnhard's_Schlong wrote:
Well if the likes of you and whoever else was suggestively questioning his ability the other day would get some perspective then there wouldn't be such a problem.

It'd piss me right off if someone did that after I'd put more into this club than anyone else has for the last few months, somehow managed to keep some sort of first team together in the face of total adversity, single handedly kept however many youth teams going simultaneously, all the time while no doubt getting pennies to support the family who should be the one's who come first above anything else. He could have so easily walked away from it all.

Anyone with half a brain cell will appreciate the magnificent work he is doing just to field a team at the moment. I hope he doesn't take notice of these utter pipe ends that think otherwise.

SuperQuaker

Post by SuperQuaker » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:55 pm

Criticising Craig Liddle would be like criticising an orgasm... I mean how could you?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:57 pm

I was looking at the facts on Saturday and nothing else. Liddle himself even said tonight we've got to stop making excuses and to stop feeling sorry for ourselves. Now he hears a fan said the same it's different and he's offering to step down? It makes no sense.

charlie

Post by charlie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:58 pm

I think its time for all of us to remember that what goes on on this board is getting noticed, eg the Northen Echo picking up on the fact the guys with the cameras paying a visit to the stadium, the fact that the guys who run the board have had discussions with solicitors over stuff thats been posted on the board and now Liddle. Its not just a fan board anymore, its a voice that is being heard

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:00 am

Quakerz wrote:Storm in a teacup.

We lost a game that the players agree we shouldn't have lost, that the management agree we shouldn't have lost - so a fan points out that even a weakened Darlo side should have got something from 10 man Alfreton (the players and management agree!!) it is somehow hurtful or unacceptable to say?

Massive storm in a teacup.

Fuck this s***.
you questioned his managerial ability on saturday, look at what he has done with the youth team, of course he can manage.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:05 am

I know he can manage off the field and the players all like him etc. I also know the great work he did with the youth team, but we should have got something on Saturday (nobody expected anything tonight), at some point people ask questions.

At the end of the day we have 10 days to get the players rested, hopefully get a couple of bodies in, have a home game and see if that helps.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:06 am

charlie wrote:

Probably not under normal circumstances, but I dont think any of us have given much thought to hard this job is for the man, he said in the echo hes up at 7 making phone calls and still doing it at 11pm. He keeps coming up against brick walls, the pressure on the man must be unreal, so yea he prob has been a bit hurt and a bit more sensitive than in normal circumstances. Personally I think the man deserves a bloody medal for not walking weeks ago. I dont want him to go
I agree with everything you say. On and of the pitch we are facing extreme odds. For my part, I have become more and more impressed with Lidds as a manager as I was one of the early doubters but I wouldn't swap him for anybody in the present circumstances.

More importantly, Lidds said that he is spending little time with the family and that concerns me greatly. He has worked without an effective football director and I implore the promising new board to come up with a way of lightening the workload as a duty of human care. Can we not delegate some administrative tasks such as dealing with the conference board. That would normally be the task of a general manager.

I'm also not going to criticise anybody on this board as the nature of forums is that they are meant to stimulate debate although in the end we are only ever armchair managers. Lidds has to deal with the daily realities and I applaud him for that.

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:09 am

No, no, no. This is so fucking wrong. Lidds is absolutely the man for the job, you only have to see the style of pay he promotes to know you want to be part of it. Ok, so he doesn't have the tools to do his job at the moment, but I tell you this bloke couldn't half produce a dangerous team if he was cut some slack.

I've always worried that his comments about seeing his future in youth would one day rob us of a potential star manager, just hopefully not this soon.

The fall out from some on here on Saturday was nothing short of disgraceful, BUT regardless of that it's a messageboard full of differing opinions and I'd be staggered if Lidds made a decision based on what an extreme minority said after losing to a relegation rival.

I think he's just reaching the end of his tether - a harder job in football there cannot be at this moment, and he's trying to do two at the same time.

Lidds IN!
Mullet69uk on Twitter

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:10 am

IN LIDDS WE TRUST!!
Craig Liddle is God!!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:16 am

Nobody said he should stand down? Only that we should have got something at Alfreton.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:18 am

Quakerz wrote:Nobody said he should stand down? Only that we should have got something at Alfreton.
Fair comment.

Sanctimonius

Post by Sanctimonius » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:04 am

FFS. Some people on ehre really cannot admit that they might have been in the wrong. I cannot thank Lidds enough for what he has done for Darlington in this time. He has, without any guarantee of a decent wage, tried to keep the club limping along while players are likewise told they may not be paid, are training a couple of days a week, or in the case of youth players, being forced to play games they simply aren't ready for, and more times than they should.

He is quite rightly saying fuck it. Why should people be criticising his honest efforts? Is this not good enough for you? Perhaps you're expecting Darlington, who weren't exactly storming away with the title before all this happened, to be thrashing teams week in week out? And before you start, no I'm not saying poor performances should be encouraged. But perhaps they can be understood. These players (the ones who are left, remember, who stayed even after they were offered the chances to simply leave) are not in the right frame of mind to be concentrating on the league, or their match preparations. And let's not forget Lidds has never said he even fucking wanted to be manager. He's simply the only man left who is willing to step forward and take responsibility when others have been let go or buggered off elsewhere.

I cannot thank Lidds enough for what he has done with no resources and very little support from any kind of staff. Obviously we need to get more players in the team. Can we? No, not right now. Obviously he is simply trying to keep us above water, without a real team, trying to keep us going until he can get reinforcements. Can he? The odds are against him. But he's fucking trying, and we need to cut the man a break. You couldn't pay me enough to take his place, and he's not exactly rolling in it right now.

Some people on here need to get a grip and think about where our team is right now, and where it could have been without the sterling efforts of our fans. We don't need to be sniping at the manager (save that for next year...) - that's a luxury for fans with teams that are safe. Let's not piss off basically the only staff Darlo has right now, eh?

DTID

Post by DTID » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:09 am

No manager in the world could motivate players who are being paid pennies and have done for months. These players have mortgages, bills and families. If those things aren't right then neither will be the results.

Some of you are also forgetting he's inherited a squad and using youth players who just aren't ready.

In future people should just sit back and think about the bigger picture before people start talking/typing shite or stuff they don't really mean.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:15 am

It's sad that we have now come to we can't comment on the actual football match. I read the players tweets and they were saying the same stuff as posters on here were the thought they could have played better. Let's not beat ourselves up none of this is our fault in fact this website is a force for good we have paid the players and been a force in getting the 250k, but at the end of the day dfc is a football club and we should be allowed an opinion without a storm which in this case is in a tea cup

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:20 am

Quakerz, I understand you having a bit of a rant and you're entitled to but why on earth do you think we are entitled to beat Alfreton? Little teams beat bigger teams all the time, that's what makes football interesting.

We were losing to teams like that earlier in the season with a bigger squad and morale on a high after the cup win (or what was left of the morale after Cooper's steady efforts at destroying it), we haven't improved the squad since then - in fact we've lost the best players from the squad we had so with what we've been through we can have no expectations of beating anyone in this league any more.

Criticism is fine (though I still think unwarranted at this time) but some of the comments after Alfreton were ridiculous and showed that some of those criticising have no understanding of the position we're in right now

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:27 am

I'm very disturbed by anybody who would even utter of word of discontent towards the manager at this moment in time, in fact I feel that strongly that I've emailed him this morning to say the following, hopefully what I say is the feeling of everybody:

Morning Craig,

Not sure if you will read this but I wanted to send it anyway having heard your interview last night. You my friend are the only reason that this football club is still able to turn out a team in the most difficult of circumstances. What you are doing for the people of Darlington is nothing short of a miracle, the workload and schedule I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy, yet you do it with an unassuming sense of pride, of passion and of genuine love for the football club.

Phase 1 is now complete and the first 250k is raised, phase 2 is now underway and with a bit of luck and a lot of negotiation you should soon be able to operate as a football manager needs to. The fact that you are still here and doing so much to preserve this club and it’s traditions is testament to the man that you are Craig.

Please don’t let some poolie on a wind up keyboard warrior disparage you and the efforts that you continue to give for us the fans. This club will survive, this club will be back, and I will be in the Liddle Stand for every single moment of it.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:34 am

I had a feeling something like this may come out from Lidds pretty soon. I don't think it's one or two comments that are totally responsible but it's probably something that has tipped him over the edge. I know he's been massively frustrated by not being able to bring anyone into the club despite working 14 hour days, you can tell the pressure is getting to him and who can blame him. For the last 2 months he's single-handedly tried to keep the on the pitch side of the club together.

I think for the future of DFC it's imperative that we keep him at the club, but let's face it there's no way we can expect him to keep running the youth and senior setup at the same time, it's just not a workload he should have to handle and he'll end up having a breakdown sooner or later. I think it's time the club looked at getting him a helping hand in, he's clearly shown the skills he has with the youth team and given the financial rewards it can bring I think that's where his energies will be best focussed. That's not to say I want him sacked from the first team but I'd like to see maybe a kind of director of football brought in who can take some pressure off him, allow him to coach the first team on occasion still but just allow him to take a bit of a step back and allow him to enjoy things a bit more.

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:50 am

Quakerz wrote:Nobody said he should stand down? Only that we should have got something at Alfreton.
Saying we should have got something at Alfreton is a fair enough challenge to make. But you said...
[i]Quakerz wrote: I know I'm going to get shot down here, because the manager is a club legend and hero, but can he actually manage?

Todays shambles says no.[/i]
I'd be pissed off if some bloke sat on his computer at home judged that I couldn't manage on the strength of one game that he didn't attend. Especially after everything I'd put into the club over the past few months.

It's also wrong. My view is that Lidds is going to be a fantastic manager. If you're going to judge him then look at the four wins on the bounce in November before things got really messy - great passing football, a quality young player being introduced to the team in Hopson (rather 8-9 being thrown in at once because there's nobody else), players full of confidence, solid at the back, wins on the board. That's what Liddle can do for this club.

There is also nobody better to see us through to the end of the season. Like it or not we're pretty much stuck with this ridiculously young squad from here on in, barring a few changes if the conference ever sympathise. Liddle is the man who knows these kids and how to get the best out of them, the senior players trust him, and he's somebody that they'd all fight for. Swapping the manager now would do nothing for us.

bedaledarlo

Post by bedaledarlo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:53 am

Q put the Alfreton game to one side. You are completely wrong to have questioned his managerial ability.

He managed the youth team successfully. He didn't 'do great work with the youths' he MANAGED the team successfully.

Just pointing out that your defence is feeble, you were simply wrong on that point.

You are going a bit mental - wanting to dismantle the youth team and undermine Liddle. Refusing to get involved with the new set up and trust. Why not try to help the club?

Why not apologise on here. What I can't fathom is you are the tool that refused to accept a word of criticism of Cooper but you'll undermine everyones zeitgeist whose family doesn't need this.

A big man would apologise in this instance, whether his comments were intent on damage or not, they have been.