Money Saving Idea

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Markodarlo
Team Supported: Darlington

Money Saving Idea

Post by Markodarlo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:51 pm

I recall someone telling me that there is a company who are installing solar panels free, the way they then make there money is any excess electricity generated that the electric company would normally pay you for they take.
So basically they hiring your roof in return for no electricity bill.

We could get quite a few solar panels on the roof of the stadium, maybe we could generate enough to actually cover the actual electric bill, pay the company and do a deal to get a bite of the money from the grid?

shadwellman

Re: Money Saving Idea

Post by shadwellman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Certainly worth exploring.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Problem is we only rent the stadium so S&S would probably see more benefit than the club.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:38 pm

loan_star wrote:Problem is we only rent the stadium so S&S would probably see more benefit than the club.

Except, we don't rent it!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:52 pm

Well we dont own it!

snowscape

Post by snowscape » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:58 pm

F112358: If we are paying £10k/year in rent, how are we not renting the stadium?

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:59 pm

dont we lease the stadium? theres a difference I think between a lease and rental?

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:33 pm

http://www.barnsley.vitalfootball.co.uk ... p?a=237100

This is an incredibly interesting idea. PM Divas about this. If nothing else there may be the opportunity of stadium sponsorship.

DL_Fourteen

Post by DL_Fourteen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:54 pm

I've got investigated this before in a professional capacity and to 'qualify' for the free solar panels is quite tight.

- You have to have a roof of a certain angle, facing due south (IIRC its 25-35 degrees - The Arena is nowhere near that)
- You have to have a roof without any shading at all (I'd imagine the roof cantilevers would rule us out as they'd cast shadow on the panels)
- You have to own the roof, as essentially the agreement is that you then lease the roof to the solar company. We don't own the roof.
- You sign a strict contract to lease out the roof for a minimum of 15 years (IIRC). I think with the unpredictable nature of DFC any advisors will be concerned about the arena as a site.

Theres a strict limit on how many 'free' panels you can have. which (after the arena has used its share) would mean there was little left to sell back to the national grid. Probably not financially viable after the cost of installing them on the high unconventional roof of the arena.

Even if we comply, S&S would get the cash, though we would get the benefit of the free electricity... Worth investigating I agree, but probably not feasible.

Barnsley aren't getting their panels under the free scheme, as the article says, they are paying 'More than £1million'
Last edited by DL_Fourteen on Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:58 pm

DL_Fourteen wrote:I've got investigated this before in a professional capacity and to 'qualify' for the free solar panels is quite tight.

You have to have a roof of a certain angle, facing due south
You have to have a roof without any shading at all (I'd imagine the roof cantilevers would rule us out as they'd cast shadow on the panels)
You have to own the roof, as essentially the agreement is that you then lease the roof to the solar company.
You sign a strict contract to lease out the roof for a minimum of 15 years (IIRC). I think with the unpredictable nature of DFC any advisors will be concerned about the arena as a site.

Theres a strict limit on how many panels you can have. which (after the arena has used its share) would mean there was little left to sell back to the national grid. Probably not financially viable after the cost of installing them on the high unconventional roof of the arena.

Even if we comply, S&S would get the cash, though we would get the benefit of the free electricity... Worth investigating I agree, but probably not feasible.
Ok. Thanks for this technical explanation.

bedaledarlo

Post by bedaledarlo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:57 am

Clevedon were the first club to buy a system. 50kW of my company's panels.

They get full tariff and the savings to boot. Doing a press release on it this morning.

You could also near as damn it guarantee Barnsley FC aren't paying that million, the project cost is a million.

Clevedon cost £100k but the club had to pay an extra 5k in substation works.

Don't be too hung up on roof angles DL. It's only certain firms that stipulate, at the end of the day we calculate each project to see what the returns will be.

The shading isn't too much of an issue either. Arena has a really nice north stand suited to the arena.

The lease matters little. The benefit to the club would be the free leccy. Doesn't matter if Scott and Sizer have it or 1883.

The key problem for me is our existence, if that was insurable for 25 years I'd arrange the whole thing.... sadly I don't know who would insure that!

I cant put everything I've built up against the arena being knocked down in the next 25 years

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:04 am

You bought your share yet?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

bedaledarlo

Post by bedaledarlo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:41 am

Quakerz wrote:You bought your share yet?
Not yet. Will do, just got the nod on a house so need the deposit which is a big outlay for us (meant I missed Saturday which is rare for me).

Ill be in in a month or 2 when we have cleared all that out.

I could throw the assets of my company in with someone I know to do the arena roof but it's too risky Q. Doing it on the land might be more attractive cos that wont get demolished, but would need planning ( arena roof would easily get the planning nod for that job ). But then the land profit issues come in.

As Robbo said a few months back you'd be crazy to be a creditor of this club!

I'd rather just buy a share and I will

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:56 am

bedaledarlo wrote:
Course you will.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:00 am

bedaledarlo wrote:
Quakerz wrote:You bought your share yet?
Not yet. Will do, just got the nod on a house so need the deposit which is a big outlay for us (meant I missed Saturday which is rare for me).

You only actually have a month. Forget the "or two"

Looks like the solar panel business maybe isn't the best business to be in considering you are always wanting £10 entry and haven't even bought a share yet.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

bedaledarlo

Post by bedaledarlo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:35 pm

On the contrary it is a very, very good business.

Can I afford a share now? No. Has it got anything to do with the strengths of the solar business? No.

Is this relevant to the OP? No.

Do I expect the 2 of you to reply with more utterly irrelevant and perhaps offensive rubbish? Yes.

Do you have better things to do with your lives? Unsure

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:39 pm

Could you PM me bedale about solar panels. Ive always been intriuged by them and wonder what outlay and if I could get them on my house. Ive got a 2 bed semi and a 2 bed terrace, could I do it on both?

Thanks in advance

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:45 pm

bedaledarlo wrote:The shading isn't too much of an issue either. Arena has a really nice north stand suited to the arena.

The key problem for me is our existence, if that was insurable for 25 years I'd arrange the whole thing.... sadly I don't know who would insure that!
I doubt if you, I, or Richard Branson could afford the premiums. :roll:

bedaledarlo

Post by bedaledarlo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:00 pm

love it! wrote:Could you PM me bedale about solar panels. Ive always been intriuged by them and wonder what outlay and if I could get them on my house. Ive got a 2 bed semi and a 2 bed terrace, could I do it on both?

Thanks in advance
You have been PM'd young man

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:49 pm

snowscape wrote:F112358: If we are paying £10k/year in rent, how are we not renting the stadium?

Again. We're not paying rent as such.
Last edited by Fibonacci0112358 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:59 pm

shawry wrote:dont we lease the stadium? theres a difference I think between a lease and rental?

Well spotted Shawry.

A lease being a long term agreement in which the terms can't be altered by the landlord during the lifetime of the agreement.

A rental agreement can be altered by the landlord by giving an agreed period of notice.