Favourite Darlo performance

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

BaronsCourtQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:42 am

The Best 11 thread has got me thinking.

Currie was before my time, but Gabbas is the best I have seen for Darlo, and in terms of impact on a team perhaps the best I have seen live at all. Its a shame how it all ended, not that I blame him for leaving but it does kind of clouds the memories.

I recall him scoring two belters v Exeter Away one midweek game from nothing and also the day him an Jesper tore Northampton apart, perhaps my favourite ever Darlo performance..... and on that what’s your favourite Darlo performance, Welling Away, Burnley at the Riverside, Hartlepool v Prudhoe?

Robbie Painter

Re: Favourite Darlo performance

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:56 am

Darlo 4 - 0 Bury. Apr 20. 1996.

A brilliant performance against fellow promotion contenders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl6p6t_i7t8

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:05 am

The 3-3 draw at Scunthorpe in 95/6 was a great 2nd half, ok we went there to win and we didn't but I really wanted to go to Wembley.

League cup games - Sheffield Utd at home, 2-0 after 90 minutes with 10 men, Barnsley away 0-0 94/5 but a fantastic performance and obviously Leeds away in 96/7.

An odd one, Barnet home, 1st game of 1998/9. 0-2 defeat but one of the best performances I've ever seen.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:05 am

Robbie Painter wrote:Darlo 4 - 0 Bury. Apr 20. 1996.

Painter. What a beast!
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:06 am

Just thinking of last year. Darlington 4-0 Fleetwood. That was a great team performance!
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:15 am

A few that spring to mind:

Burnley in the FA Cup at the Riverside (well, the last 20 minutes anyway).

Late in the 98/99 season I think it was Exeter who had travelled up about 3 times due to the game being rained off, and when they finally made it we trounced them - I think 4-0?

More recently there was the 2-1 win at Luton in Penney's last season, and also both Lincoln and Brentford away the season before that.

Also a 2-1 away win at the Bus-shelter stadium in the 2000/01 season.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:17 am

Spyman wrote: Late in the 98/99 season I think it was Exeter who had travelled up about 3 times due to the game being rained off, and when they finally made it we trounced them - I think 4-0?
Did Gabba get a hat-trick that night or am i mistaken?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:28 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:
Spyman wrote: Late in the 98/99 season I think it was Exeter who had travelled up about 3 times due to the game being rained off, and when they finally made it we trounced them - I think 4-0?
I can't remember all that clearly to be honest but he may well have.

I think Carl Shutt might have scored one?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:45 am

This is an unusual one, but our season in the conference under Brian Little we played away at Boston who were red hot favourites for the league and we were awesome and played them off the park winning 3-1.Not many there from Darlo, about 200 I think, lovely surface and our football that night was superb.

More recently the Burnley game at the Riverside,the 4-2 win at Pools in the cup and the first leg play-off game at Pools where we won 2-0, very professional that day.The feeling last season at Gateshead at the final whistle taking us to Wembley was pure heaven.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:05 pm

You are right and Gary Bennett got the other.

This is an unusual one, but our season in the conference under Brian Little we played away at Boston who were red hot favourites for the league and we were awesome and played them off the park winning 3-1.Not many there from Darlo, about 200 I think, lovely surface and our football that night was superb.
I'm revelling in my role as Darlo historian for the day, Corner, Borthwick and Hine the scorers.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:04 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:Darlo 4 - 0 Bury. Apr 20. 1996.

Fantastic game! Luton at home when we went 4 up inside 30 minutes stands out as the best half of football I've seen.

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:07 pm

Got a few faves...

vs Rochdale 90/91 won 2-0 to win the div 4 title ... with about 15 mins left the big div4 champs advertising board they bring on the pitch appeared near the old east stand and you knew we had done it :D

vs Doncaster 97/98 won 5-1 every time we had the ball we looked like scoring could have had 10 easy.

vs Colchester 93/94 won 7-3 hadnt won all season but colchester were so crap even Lee Ellison scored twice.

vs The hangers 98/99 won 2-0 Super daz roberts scored 1 never known such a good atmosphere in the tin shed that night.

VS Mansfield Wembley 2011 won 1-0 ....crap game :lol: who cares we won at wembley with a last minute winner.

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:10 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:The 3-3 draw at Scunthorpe in 95/6 was a great 2nd half, ok we went there to win and we didn't but I really wanted to go to Wembley.

League cup games - Sheffield Utd at home, 2-0 after 90 minutes with 10 men, Barnsley away 0-0 94/5 but a fantastic performance and obviously Leeds away in 96/7.

An odd one, Barnet home, 1st game of 1998/9. 0-2 defeat but one of the best performances I've ever seen.

Remember that one ...Dean Saunders scored in extra time and started taking the piss in front of the tin shed . :x
Wanker

Darlo4eva2012

Post by Darlo4eva2012 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:27 pm

getting to the third round of the FA cup at the expence of Manchester United in 1999

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:33 pm

Darlo4eva2012 wrote:getting to the third round of the FA cup at the expence of Manchester United in 1999
ha ha - i take it you didn't go to Gillingham for the 2nd round game, one i knew we weren’t going to win from getting in the car.

The pleasure of joining the Gill's fans on the train in Brum as they were heading to Walsall whilst we were off to Villa, a game I still think we could have won if we had a full team that day.

Just remembered the day at Bolton in the cup as well, did it end 5-2 / 5-3 ?

Darlo4eva2012

Post by Darlo4eva2012 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:43 pm

no unfortunetly I wasnt at the Gillingham game, I didnt start attending away games until I was 18 in 2005

joking aside, the best individual performance I have ever seen is Billy Clarkes four goal haul against Macclesfield in 2008

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:50 pm

Just remembered the day at Bolton in the cup as well, did it end 5-2 / 5-3 ?
5-3, I was at that game. Remember the Bolton fans chanting "we want 10" after they scored 2 in the first few minutes, then giving the same back when we got back to 2-2 before half time. They dicked us in the 2nd half though before Gabbiadini scored a great solo goal as a 3rd consolation.

Team: Collett, Reed, Heckingbottom, Liddle, Bennett, Himsworth, Gray, Atkinson, Heaney, Nogan, Gabbiadini.
Subs used: Oliver, Carruthers, Duffield.

Some good players there

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:38 pm

Anyone remember this one 91/92 season I think. The year Brian Little left us with Frank Gray as manager and we were doing terribly in the old Division 3 before Premier existed. Hartlepool came to Feethams and were doing quite well, we had just signed a lad called Dougald McCarrison (At least it was something like that) on loan from Celtic. We wiped the floor with them 4-0, it was great. Sadly as we come out of Feethams all the Hartlepool fans were waiting on the roundabout I remember it kicking off a little.

I was about 15 and it sticks in my memory as a great day, sadly we still got relegated and they knocked us out the FA Cup that year!!!

DL_Fourteen

Post by DL_Fourteen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Last few games at Feethams stick in my mind. The Hull one in particular, as that was probably the defining moment I realised that I was going to be a Darlington fan, rather than the armchair Leeds fan I was before. Everything on that day seemed so exciting and optimistic! How times have changed.

Also recall an evening kickoff against Luton. I could be wrong but I think if they won, they were promoted. They were 2-1 up with 5 minutes to go, we scored twice in quick succession to win 3-2. Unusually I was in the Tinshed as I didnt have the lad with me, and to this day I have never celebrated like I did then, even though it wasn't a particualrly big game for us!

oldboyaughton
Team Supported: Darlington/DCC

Post by oldboyaughton » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:03 pm

08 Jan 1985 Darlington v Middlesbrough W 2-1 FA Cup
"Just Who Is The 5 O'clock Hero?"

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:06 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Anyone remember this one 91/92 season I think. The year Brian Little left us with Frank Gray as manager and we were doing terribly in the old Division 3 before Premier existed. Hartlepool came to Feethams and were doing quite well, we had just signed a lad called Dougald McCarrison (At least it was something like that) on loan from Celtic. We wiped the floor with them 4-0, it was great. Sadly as we come out of Feethams all the Hartlepool fans were waiting on the roundabout I remember it kicking off a little.

I was about 15 and it sticks in my memory as a great day, sadly we still got relegated and they knocked us out the FA Cup that year!!!
i remember the hangers waiting on the roundabout as well Me n a couple of mates ended up legging it towards Boyes back door n the fucktard staff locked the doors to keep everyone out :oops: cue a mad dash for the town centre.

Happier note.... was a corker of an own goal by John Mcphail to put us 2 nil up :clap:

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:03 pm

davidcorks 40yard OG wrote:vs Colchester 93/94 won 7-3 hadnt won all season but colchester were so crap even Lee Ellison scored twice.
Ah, the Peter Kirkham show! What a night that was.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:05 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Anyone remember this one 91/92 season I think. The year Brian Little left us with Frank Gray as manager and we were doing terribly in the old Division 3 before Premier existed. Hartlepool came to Feethams and were doing quite well, we had just signed a lad called Dougald McCarrison (At least it was something like that) on loan from Celtic.
Dugald McCarrison (you were very close!) has often been discussed on here. A talent pissed against the wall, sadly. He was on fire that day, though.

He liked a drink or six, I believe, and that was his downfall up in Scotland. Great little loan spell with us, mind.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:52 pm

Darlo 5 Hartlepool 2 in 1981 or 2 I think. Sure we were 2 down and came back to win, think Alan Walsh may have got a couple. Memory fades with time I'm afraid lol.

Saw us beat Lincoln 3-2 with Ooh Aah Mardenborough bagging a couple.
COME ON DARLO!

darlo rabbit

Post by darlo rabbit » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:55 pm

A few such as Welling and a late 2-1 win at Scarboro in the 90s when Bannister was brilliant but the best has to be the 1-1 draw at promotion chasing Boro on a Sunday morning in 87.Alan Roberts late equaliser was pure heaven
to put it into context at the time as unexpected as if we were to go to Fleetwood now and win

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:59 pm

Top corner as well.

There was a pathetic following from Darlo too, about 300 it seemed.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

wellingaway

Post by wellingaway » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Welling away for obvious reasons and a hard fought 1-1 v Boro at Ayresome Park in the cup - I think Alan Roberts scored.

Quakerade

Post by Quakerade » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:12 pm

God, there has been many over the years but the two that stick out (apart from winning at Wembley) have to be the f.a. cup games against Boro in 85. We drew 0-0 at Ayresome Park and i remember Dave Mclean having a shot from outside the area which went just over the bar, which would have won it for us and the replay, well, for those who were around in them days will i am sure never forget a night like that, us winning, the battles during the game and on the cricket pitch at the end of the game and all over town. I must admit over the years of following Darlington i have witnessed some crowd trouble but that night scared the s**t out of me.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:13 pm

Darren Roberts scoring the winner against Kidderminster in the FA Cup 2nd Round on December 6th 1997 - I didn't see it but I heard the goal flash as I was watching my daughter being born in the RAF Hospital in Cyprus.
COME ON DARLO!

DarloJoe

Post by DarloJoe » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:20 pm

The night we beat a promotion chasing Southend side 4-0 I think it was. Alun Armstrong scored a hattrick that night and the whole team was superb. From goalkeeper to striker everyone gave it there all and we tonked them. Showed them up!