Tori's Tweets

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tori's Tweets

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:31 pm

liddle_4_ever wrote:People need to remember that DRFC are NOT even in the top 15 rugby clubs in the North East (in order: Falcons, Tynedale, Blaydon, Westoe, Darlington Mowden Park, West Hartlepool, Billingham, Percy Park, Middlesbrough, Northern, Durham, Morpeth, Gateshead and the Poly) and their location and facilities are not up to scratch why are we looking here?
Oh I didn't realise we were looking to ground share with the biggest rugby club in the region.

I was just thinking we were looking for a facility that would potentially have council backing (council strategy specifically states sports hub @ blackwell meadows), would have plenty of room for development (like surrounding the main pitch at Blackwell Meadows) and would be well placed from the centre of town (oh just sticking it into google darlington rugby club is 1.2miles to walk from tubwell row).

But I suppose Darlington Rugby Club are not in the top 15 rugby clubs in the region so it doesn't matter how good a facility it would provide for the football club.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu May 03, 2012 1:14 pm

lo36789 wrote:
liddle_4_ever wrote:People need to remember that DRFC are NOT even in the top 15 rugby clubs in the North East (in order: Falcons, Tynedale, Blaydon, Westoe, Darlington Mowden Park, West Hartlepool, Billingham, Percy Park, Middlesbrough, Northern, Durham, Morpeth, Gateshead and the Poly) and their location and facilities are not up to scratch why are we looking here?
Oh I didn't realise we were looking to ground share with the biggest rugby club in the region.

I was just thinking we were looking for a facility that would potentially have council backing (council strategy specifically states sports hub @ blackwell meadows), would have plenty of room for development (like surrounding the main pitch at Blackwell Meadows) and would be well placed from the centre of town (oh just sticking it into google darlington rugby club is 1.2miles to walk from tubwell row).

But I suppose Darlington Rugby Club are not in the top 15 rugby clubs in the region so it doesn't matter how good a facility it would provide for the football club.
If you are looking at a prototype for darlington I wold definitely thinking about an extended version of the Bishop ground. One thing I did notice at bishop was a sign by the football foundation?? i think they must have funded some of it.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Thu May 03, 2012 1:37 pm

princes town wrote:If you are looking at a prototype for darlington I wold definitely thinking about an extended version of the Bishop ground. One thing I did notice at bishop was a sign by the football foundation?? i think they must have funded some of it.
You can apply for different grants from the Football Foundation for example the Football Stadia improvement fund

http://www.footballfoundation.org.uk/apply/
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Thu May 03, 2012 1:39 pm

quakersam wrote:
princes town wrote:If you are looking at a prototype for darlington I wold definitely thinking about an extended version of the Bishop ground. One thing I did notice at bishop was a sign by the football foundation?? i think they must have funded some of it.
You can apply for different grants from the Football Foundation for example the Football Stadia improvement fund

http://www.footballfoundation.org.uk/apply/
Will we qualify for any grants so soon after building the arena?
Some perhaps, but probably not as much as Bishop (for example) got.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 03, 2012 6:12 pm

I think parking at Blackwell Meadows would be a bit of a mare, unless things are radically changed. The current entrance is not much wider than a single track and parking is limited. I've been to a few social events run by the rugby team and the parking rapidlly gets gridlocked. So access would definately be an issue.

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Thu May 03, 2012 7:03 pm

Have 1883 even looked into feethams? The rugby club is just another ground out of town. We need to be in the town centre simple as that.

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Thu May 03, 2012 7:28 pm

And at feethams we could have rugby, cricket and football all in one place how economical is that!

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Thu May 03, 2012 7:32 pm

I've never understood this 'need' for it to be in the town centre... Why? It was easier for me to get to The Arena than it ever was to get to Feethams. Similarly if Blackwell Meadows is a suggested venue, it will be just as easy for me to get there.

divas

Post by divas » Thu May 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Town centre land is too expensive which is my almost all new stadiums are located on the edge of town.

I understand people like to drink in town centre pubs then go to the match but we should be drinking at the ground if poss to increase revenue.

wishmaster3211

Post by wishmaster3211 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Well, the thing is it may be easier for some but for most people a central location is better, as its nearer to more people in the Town, and also much better for getting "walk up" fans on the day.

That said the Rugby Club idea sounds good to me as there are probably more important issues now than location.

Whilst Id like to see them back at Feethams, there were always issues with being tenants of the Cricket Club and now it is likely to be more complicated. Having a ground anywhere in Darlington, Council backing and the ability to buy into ownership of the ground (ie: have our own bar etc or even own it outright long term) is absolutely key to any future ground plans I think so whatever delivers these is whats needed.

As an aside I was recently in Shrewsbury and spoke to fans who were bemoaning the out of town location of the new ground. Apparently a lot of people dont drink there before the game as guess what? They have to drive to it. The away fans do of course, but Gay Meadow was a great venue for locals.