Shildon today

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlotoon
Team Supported: Darlington

Shildon today

Post by darlotoon » Sat May 12, 2012 6:50 pm

loan_star

Re: Shildon today

Post by loan_star » Sat May 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Cant have Darlo playing there!! The nearest airport is about 16 miles away!! Thats just too far!! :wave:

darlotoon

Post by darlotoon » Sat May 12, 2012 6:54 pm

lol . Seats don't look rotten to me , just glad to have a home somewhere

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat May 12, 2012 7:35 pm

A disposition opposite Clems? How bizarre.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

second team

Post by second team » Sat May 12, 2012 8:22 pm

great pics did you go into dressing rooms,refs rooms, and lady official rooms oo yes and toilets

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Sat May 12, 2012 8:39 pm

What were the pubs like near the ground?

Also, did you go by train? If so, what is the walk like?

darlotoon

Post by darlotoon » Sat May 12, 2012 8:43 pm

It wasn't me , was some Darlo fans , judging from Twitter they have had a good day out , decent pubs 2 serving real ale , haven't complained about the walk and whilst not OAPs they aren't spring chickens

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Sat May 12, 2012 8:50 pm

rooster wrote:
The_Ponderer wrote:What were the pubs like near the ground?

Also, did you go by train? If so, what is the walk like?
are you deaf , the red lion , the king willy , and the rest

Are you deaf too? :lol:

What were the pubs like near the ground? The names I got, but what are they like to have a drink in? Only thing I know about any of these is King Willy - do not enter

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Sat May 12, 2012 9:01 pm

rooster wrote:its a cracking pint in there real ale coming on
Crackin' stuff! :clap:

quakerray

Post by quakerray » Sat May 12, 2012 9:02 pm

been 2 or 3 years since we played a darts friendly in the king willy but there was a strong wiff of something more than normal cigarettes. felt a bit high when we came out :)

looks like my cousin john in the pic,anyone confirm this

Yackley_Quaker

Post by Yackley_Quaker » Sun May 13, 2012 7:11 am

I was part of the group that visited Shildon. We went by train. A duo ticket for two adults is £5.20 return rather than £3.50 each if you buy seperate tickets so a bit of a saving made.
The train is a 2 carriage job and I was surprised at how busy it was. We caught the 2.54 from Bank Top and it was about 1/2 full so I would imagine the 12.54 is similar. Journey time is 25 minutes. Once at Shildon you can either go left and head towards Byerley Road which has several pubs en route or head up towards the town centre which brings you out opposite the King Willy which is about 5 minutes from the ground.
As to the ground. It may be a bit of a culture shock to those only used to the Arena and could certainly benefit from some TLC but is IMHO a tidy little ground
The main stand holds about 500 and had 3 broken seats with none missing. There is no numbering on seats so could cause a problem for season ticket sales. Be warned though some seats have a restricted view because of the posts at the front of the stand.
There is a concrete standing area behind the goal as you come in with what amounts to little more than a tarmac path behind the other goal. The toilets are under the main stand and as this was locked up I'm unable to report on them or the bar.
Opposite the main stand is a small covered stand. This covers a level concreted area with a small grassy slope ( about 2 ft) down to the path that runs round the pitch. It runs about 1/2 the lenth of the pitch with standing room either side. The lack of steps could cause problems for those at the back being unable to see over those in front. On the positive side a couple of hundred singing in there could create an atmosphere to equal anything the Tin Shed ever produced.
There are only two turnstiles so getting into the ground could be a problem. Might be an idea to use the gate access for season ticket holders to reduce queueing.
The pitch itself has some interesting slopes particularly in front of the far goalmouth but didnt look in bad nick for the end of the season.
As to Shildon itself we took the Byerley Road option which takes you past the Rail Museum and Flag and Whistle pub (closed - so a bad start!).
Paddy O Shea's is the first pub you come to and as a look through the window showed it to be more like a creche than a pub we didnt bother.
Next up is the Locomotive a nice traditional pub with a selection of bottled real ales( Abbott, Deuchars, London Pride) as well as hand pulled Bass.
From here it's about ten minutes to the Grey Horse and Timothy Hackworth. No real ale here but the Grey Horse has a large beer garden if we ever get some sun while the Hackworth has a pool table. Both are a two minute walk to the ground.
Heading up the bank towards Bishop is the top house (Queen's Head). Probably the busiest pub we visited and serving a reasonable pint of Bombadier. A five minute walk to the ground from here.
Opposite the road to the ground is Old Shildon Workmens Club which we missed out due to lack of time. Closest pub to the ground will be the Royal George. Another traditional bar serving Tetleys and John Smith's smooth but no real ale.
From here a short walk into the high street brings you to the Three Tuns and Red Lion again traditional bars with no real ale.
Walk to the far end of the high street (3 minutes) and you come to the King William IV (known to all as the King Willy) and the Fox and Hounds which was closed.
No real ale in the King Willy but a great juke box including Cock Sparrer, SLF and many other punk classics.
From here it was an 11 minute walk to the train station, and as has been pointed out, whilst not pensioners we aint no spring chickens!
On the food side there is a chippy right outside the ground where the girl serving had no idea that they might have around 1000 Darlo fans visiting the town every other week. Hopefully they'll lay in extra supplies!
There is another chippy and a selection of takeaways in the high street and a refreshment hut in the ground offering the usual fare.
Hope people find this useful. Having visited I have to say I'm now excited at the prospect of watching games here, should be a cracking atmosphere. Onwards and upwards!!

second team

Post by second team » Sun May 13, 2012 7:26 am

great report lots of good information did you get a look at the dressing rooms/ref rooms/toilets

Yackley_Quaker

Post by Yackley_Quaker » Sun May 13, 2012 7:38 am

Unable to check facilities as there was noone there so it was all locked up.

Penrith Quaker

Post by Penrith Quaker » Sun May 13, 2012 7:41 am

Great report thanks Yackley Q -gives me a good idea what to expect!
It's not important for you to know my name -Nor I to know yours,
If we communicate for two minutes only It will be enough! - The Jam

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Sun May 13, 2012 8:41 am

Excellent report - thank you! :thumbup:

SteveSC

Post by SteveSC » Sun May 13, 2012 9:06 am

Great report - could make a living doing (rough) travel guides.

Whatever else Shildon may or may not offer to the discerning sophisticated Darlo supporter there seems to be no shortage of pubs.

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Post by KCChiefs » Sun May 13, 2012 9:28 am

Certainly think all the singers, should get under that shed along one side of the pitch - will create an atmosphere better than most times at the Arena..

divas

Post by divas » Sun May 13, 2012 10:29 am

Yackley Quaker wrote:There are only two turnstiles so getting into the ground could be a problem. Might be an idea to use the gate access for season ticket holders to reduce queueing.
Are you sure there were only two? Only the pics i've seen it looks like 3. That's something that will need addressing urgently as i believe you need 3 to play in the NPL

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Sun May 13, 2012 10:32 am

divas wrote:
Yackley Quaker wrote:There are only two turnstiles so getting into the ground could be a problem. Might be an idea to use the gate access for season ticket holders to reduce queueing.
Are you sure there were only two? Only the pics i've seen it looks like 3. That's something that will need addressing urgently as i believe you need 3 to play in the NPL
How many to play in the Evostik Premier / Div 1?

Yackley_Quaker

Post by Yackley_Quaker » Sun May 13, 2012 10:57 am

Only two doors on the inside of the ground though its possible that two turnstiles use the same door. To be honest I never noticed as we entered by the gate which is before the turnstiles.

divas

Post by divas » Sun May 13, 2012 11:01 am

Hilly wrote:
divas wrote:
NPL is the Evostick Prem, just without the sponsor name, not sure on Div 1

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sun May 13, 2012 12:55 pm

divas wrote:

We will not be denied a league place because of little things like toilets, gates and refs changing rooms. Rule changes last July allow time for work to be done.

The FA will be more concerned about number of seats, covered areas, hard standing areas and the quality of the floodlights etc.....The important stuff.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun May 13, 2012 1:06 pm

Correct fib! I think there is 3 turnstiles, I'm sure darlofan97 will confirm
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun May 13, 2012 1:13 pm

second team wrote:great report lots of good information did you get a look at the dressing rooms/ref rooms/toilets
This fucker is obsessed, can we just ban him?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun May 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Hilly wrote:
divas wrote:
You need 3, and there is 3, so that particular thing is not a problem.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun May 13, 2012 2:59 pm

From pictures people have shown they is 3 doors in and 2 doors out of the turnstyles. Not quite sure how that works.

I won't worry and leave this to 1883, as these things have been mentioned a number of times so they are well aware.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun May 13, 2012 3:23 pm

OK gobshite - if you knew this in the first instance, why did you not put all of this information in your first post?

Because you're a troll that's why. Now FUCK OFF!

footie fan

Post by footie fan » Sun May 13, 2012 3:32 pm

second team give it a rest , the decision is made and all will come out in the wash on mon/wed, you are just sounding bitter, yes there is not one valid point to move to shildon over bishop and every supporter of all the other northern league teams were shocked but what is done is done . let destiny folow its path ...

charlie

Post by charlie » Sun May 13, 2012 3:37 pm

second team, you`ve been asked to steer clear of this subject, do not give me a reason to ban you for good

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Sun May 13, 2012 4:09 pm

I just pray that Shildons ground is up to scratch for the league The FA put us in initially.

If its not, and The FA give us no time to make modifications then it is a massive balls up.

Lets just hope it doesnt come to that.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2