Shildon Football Club Press Release

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Lincolnshire_Quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Shildon Football Club Press Release

Post by Lincolnshire_Quaker » Mon May 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Just released and can be read on our Facebook Page:

http://www.facebook.com/savedarlingtonfc
If I were a stick of rock, no prizes for what would be written all the way through .....

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Re: Shildon Football Club Press Release

Post by love it! » Mon May 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Anything decent? Cant view as on work PC

Darlo.For.Life

Post by Darlo.For.Life » Mon May 14, 2012 4:20 pm

Shildon Football Club would like to allay the fears of residents and football fans regarding certain comments and inaccuracies about their proposed groundshare with Darlington FC.

The availability of car parking, the facilities at the Dean Street ground and the very inaccurate allegations of drug and alcohol abuse are all issues that the club is addressing.
Secretary Gareth Howe said: “We have a meeting this week with the local police to discuss the car parking concerns that have been raised since we announced the signing of our groundshare agreement with Darlington FC.

“We would like to state that we are working as hard as we can to minimise the potential disruption to residents near the Shildon ground in Dean Street.

“While the streets around the ground are public highways, we recognise that irresponsible and inconsiderate car parking can cause problems for residents, and we will be making every effort to work with the local police and Darlington FC to reduce the inconvenience by directing visitors to Shildon FC to the various car parks in the town.
“We believe that are at least 300 car parking spaces are available in six locations which will be confirmed later.
“We have also noted the comments about bus parking. Provision has been made for buses to park at Elm Road WMC, 400 yards away from the ground, where there is ample room for buses to park during games.

“It is our prime aim to prevent disruption to residents and fans as much as possible, and we are sure that the police will actively support our car parking suggestions.

“It is clear that when Darlington matches will be staged, that fans must give themselves plenty of time to find a suitable and legal parking space that doesn’t cause any inconvenience.

“There is also a public transport system, with regular bus services, and the train station is 15 minutes’ walk away from the football ground. Darlington FC is also considering the provision of buses and trains to bring their fans to matches, and also the introduction of a car sharing scheme.”
Howe says that the two clubs will also be upgrading some of Dean Street’s facilities. “The two clubs intend to add some extra toilet facilities and extra changing facilities for match officials. In due course, we will also be inviting Darlington fans to come along to Dean Street and help with the many jobs that a football club at our level must undertake during each summer.”

The club would also like to correct some misapprehensions that arose from the recent fans’ forum at the Blackwell Grange Hotel.

“It was stated by one gentleman, not from the board of 1883, that “drug addicts and alcoholics congregate at the ground.” This is blatantly untrue and completely inaccurate. The football club has a very good working relationship with the local police, and at no time in recent years have we, as a football club, have had to alert or call the police to address any sort of drug or alcohol abuse issue within the ground of Shildon FC.

“The club is run by a band of unpaid, hard-working people, who work long hours. We have a huge amount of sympathy for Darlington because we had severe financial problems ourselves nine years ago when a previous owner cast himself adrift from us, and there were question marks over the future of the club. We can therefore identify with Darlington’s predicament, and want to help the club as much as possible.

“We see the ground-sharing agreement as beneficial to everyone concerned – the clubs, both sets of fans, and to generate much-needed revenue for the local economy.

“We appreciate the concerns of everyone involved, and we thank them for their patience and understanding.”
Craig McKenna, the project manager of 1883 said: “DFC 1883 Ltd always knew that a groundshare wasn't going to be popular with all the fans and we were aware that whichever option we took would receive some criticism, so some of the feedback isn't a surprise. We have concerns no at all about Shildon being suitable for our needs and we are looking forward to a mutually beneficial relationship over the coming twelve months.”

Lincolnshire_Quaker

Post by Lincolnshire_Quaker » Mon May 14, 2012 4:22 pm

It's very long! That's why I didn't post the full text here. Also, Scott will have had a copy and would probably have been posting the full version on Uncovered News fairly soon.
If I were a stick of rock, no prizes for what would be written all the way through .....

second team

Post by second team » Mon May 14, 2012 4:38 pm

there are no more drug addicts in shildon than anywhere else in this green and plesant land its a normal town but parking is going to be a problem

micra3

Post by micra3 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:40 pm

The drug taking was mentioned by only 1 person in a room of 250 :roll:
M I C R A 3

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Mon May 14, 2012 4:45 pm

I wonder if he was suffering from withdrawal symptoms due to a lack of crisps?
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Mon May 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Fridays meeting the main reason given for shildon over bishop was better parking with lots of street parking, looking at that statement then I expect shildon council to put parking restrictions on. So thats no trains around kick off times, few busses and probs nowhere to park. Moving Darlington football club out of Darlington is not going to be a success...... One year, only one year hope we survive the move.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Mon May 14, 2012 4:53 pm

Pray Ted and he shall lead us to deliverance!

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Mon May 14, 2012 4:59 pm

I may take the Darlington faithful on a pilgrimage to the promist land... Ermmmm Shildon

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Mon May 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Could be worse, how does Hartlepool grab you. Plenty of greggs there and drug addled people.

You could set up a crisp stall for our man the crisp fetishist!

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Mon May 14, 2012 5:10 pm

ted_do wrote:Fridays meeting the main reason given for shildon over bishop was better parking with lots of street parking, looking at that statement then I expect shildon council to put parking restrictions on. So thats no trains around kick off times, few busses and probs nowhere to park. Moving Darlington football club out of Darlington is not going to be a success...... One year, only one year hope we survive the move.
Your better solution please!?!?!?!????

Lincolnshire_Quaker

Post by Lincolnshire_Quaker » Mon May 14, 2012 5:12 pm

Weird coincidence, but I just received this from our intrepid cyclist, Snowscape, who asked that it be shared on the forum (remember he was banned):

"Following the meeting on Friday night (Blackwell Grange) where much was said about Shildon’s ground, I decided to take a look myself on Sat. morning, when trials were held for their under 19’s.

As a Chartered Building Consultant, I have a more critical eye than most.

An older chap at the Friday meeting, stated that all viewing areas were flat/shale, not so!

There is a flat compacted gravel car-parking area just inside the entrance, and a concrete area behind the Dean Street goal.

There is a tin shed opposite the main stand, with a flat standing area, accessed via steps up a grassy bank, but all other viewing areas are grass terraces beyond the pitch-side path and with flat topped banking behind.

The main stand does have issues – some seats missing/broken and inconsistent steps on the access stairs. The missing seats are stored behind the hospitality portakabin, so broken seats can be easily mended/refixed.

Toilets are located in the clubhouse under the main stand – 2 urinals, 1 wc & 1 basin for men, and 3 wc’s and 1 basin for women, both being clean and tidy. Extra portable toilets will be required for DFC matchdays.

There are 2 turnstiles, with exit doorway headroom of less than 6’ (1.8m)

The pitch has a considerable slope down from the main stand side, with the goalmouths banked up level.

Regarding car-parking, I sought the manager of Morrisons, for his opinion on DFC matchday parking.
Currently there are no restrictions. However, if DFC parking impacts on trade, then restrictions may be implemented, although anyone shopping in store would not be penalised.
Besides all the other car parks previously mentioned (by others) there is ample roadside parking on Redworth Road near the junction with Main Street, which is a 2 minute walk to the ground.

All in all, Shildon’s ground is fine, but not sure about grading for any particular level of football.

Despite the foregoing, my desire for the future is to see DFC back playing at the Arena, fan owned through share subscription, to safeguard against future property speculators shafting the club again.
The Arena has lots of potential, which has never been fully utilised/exploited."

Andrew Foulds. MCIOB.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Mon May 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Lincolnshire Quaker, is snowscape your retarded alter-ego?

Kind of like a mentally impaired Batman?

Because I cant think of any other reason you'd keep giving that crackpot attention.

Lincolnshire_Quaker

Post by Lincolnshire_Quaker » Mon May 14, 2012 5:25 pm

Jazz Maverick wrote:Lincolnshire Quaker, is snowscape your retarded alter-ego?

Because I cant think of any other reason you'd keep giving that crackpot attention.
Aw come on, Jazz. Whatever he did to get kicked off here, he still got off his backside to go and see for himself what the score is in Shildon. Apart from the last paragraph seems a factual report and therefore worth sharing ...... ignoring the history of the source.

divas

Post by divas » Mon May 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Seems second team was right about the official changing rooms, good to see they are getting sorted.

Although at an additional £6K to the initial £25K rent according to the Echo

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Mon May 14, 2012 5:32 pm

They're two different people. Have met Chris and seen snowscape. Still at least the ground will be ok for dwarfs!

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Mon May 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Lincolnshire_Quaker wrote:
Jazz Maverick wrote:Lincolnshire Quaker, is snowscape your retarded alter-ego?

Aw come on, Jazz. Whatever he did to get kicked off here, he still got off his backside to go and see for himself what the score is in Shildon. Apart from the last paragraph seems a factual report and therefore worth sharing ...... ignoring the history of the source.

Bikerscape is a complete crank end of. What was the point of banning him if hes still gonna get other misguided posters to post his self loving ramblings?

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Mon May 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Lincolnshire_Quaker wrote:Weird coincidence, but I just received this from our intrepid cyclist, Snowscape, who asked that it be shared on the forum (remember he was banned):

"Following the meeting on Friday night (Blackwell Grange) where much was said about Shildon’s ground, I decided to take a look myself on Sat. morning, when trials were held for their under 19’s.

As a Chartered Building Consultant, I have a more critical eye than most.

An older chap at the Friday meeting, stated that all viewing areas were flat/shale, not so!

There is a flat compacted gravel car-parking area just inside the entrance, and a concrete area behind the Dean Street goal.

There is a tin shed opposite the main stand, with a flat standing area, accessed via steps up a grassy bank, but all other viewing areas are grass terraces beyond the pitch-side path and with flat topped banking behind.

The main stand does have issues – some seats missing/broken and inconsistent steps on the access stairs. The missing seats are stored behind the hospitality portakabin, so broken seats can be easily mended/refixed.

Toilets are located in the clubhouse under the main stand – 2 urinals, 1 wc & 1 basin for men, and 3 wc’s and 1 basin for women, both being clean and tidy. Extra portable toilets will be required for DFC matchdays.

There are 2 turnstiles, with exit doorway headroom of less than 6’ (1.8m)

The pitch has a considerable slope down from the main stand side, with the goalmouths banked up level.

Regarding car-parking, I sought the manager of Morrisons, for his opinion on DFC matchday parking.
Currently there are no restrictions. However, if DFC parking impacts on trade, then restrictions may be implemented, although anyone shopping in store would not be penalised.
Besides all the other car parks previously mentioned (by others) there is ample roadside parking on Redworth Road near the junction with Main Street, which is a 2 minute walk to the ground.

All in all, Shildon’s ground is fine, but not sure about grading for any particular level of football.

Despite the foregoing, my desire for the future is to see DFC back playing at the Arena, fan owned through share subscription, to safeguard against future property speculators shafting the club again.
The Arena has lots of potential, which has never been fully utilised/exploited."

Andrew Foulds. MCIOB.

Shildons ground is gonna be crap . :shh:
We all know that
But hopefully it will only be for a year and to be honest i would rather play anywhere other than that souless white elephant shambles of an arena.

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Mon May 14, 2012 6:17 pm

The_Ponderer wrote:
ted_do wrote:Fridays meeting the main reason given for shildon over bishop was better parking with lots of street parking, looking at that statement then I expect shildon council to put parking restrictions on. So thats no trains around kick off times, few busses and probs nowhere to park. Moving Darlington football club out of Darlington is not going to be a success...... One year, only one year hope we survive the move.
Your better solution please!?!?!?!????
Its one year at Shildon, for me through gritted teeth, but during that year people will need to see progress on our new ground or firm plans for a return to darlo.
After the initial euphoria and late summer pub crawls, Shildon will soon lose its appeal, its back to Darlo or DFC die as a proper football club that can attract thousands of fans.

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Mon May 14, 2012 6:53 pm

@Ted_do,

I started reading your reply and was nodding in agreement at the first sentence. :thumbup:
Then you started, again, predicting gloom and doom. :thumbdown:
Do we need this right now?
Seriously?

I am very much for a return to town in a year for all the obvious reasons but I remain firmly in the real world.
A move back - whether temporary or permanent - has to work, has to be financially viable and be attractive to fans.
We can't just move back into the big stadium regardless of the cost just because we haven't sorted out an alternative somewhere else.

The 1883 board are very busy now sorting out our immediate problems and I have fingers crossed that positive news comes from the FA next week and from the Trust meeting tonight.

We, the fans can start the debate on the return home.
But this MUST be a practical discussion.

You started another thread elsewhere and I was starting to be won over but your doom and gloom on here is not the way to go.

Say what you like to me or about me, but please start being a force for the good.

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Mon May 14, 2012 7:05 pm

DFC should never ever be playing outside Darlo, but we are. I dont blame 1883 for this as they are trying to salvage something from the sorry mess. My focus will be on helping my home town team return home, any investments I make or any fund raising I do will be for this sole aim.
I am still supporting Darlington Football Club but just for me building our future ground is paramount.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Mon May 14, 2012 7:13 pm

ted_do wrote:DFC should never ever be playing outside Darlo, but we are. I dont blame 1883 for this as they are trying to salvage something from the sorry mess. My focus will be on helping my home town team return home, any investments I make or any fund raising I do will be for this sole aim.
I am still supporting Darlington Football Club but just for me building our future ground is paramount.
We're victims of circumstance in that there is no other option other than playing outside of town. Not one person wants us to play in Shildon, but the fact is we can afford the Arena at the moment and there's no ground in town suitable for the level we want to start at.

Get this into your head, digest it, and stop fucking moaning over something that was impossible to avoid and cant be changed. All being well we will be back in Darlington ASAP.

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Mon May 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Jazz Maverick wrote:
ted_do wrote:DFC should never ever be playing outside Darlo, but we are. I dont blame 1883 for this as they are trying to salvage something from the sorry mess. My focus will be on helping my home town team return home, any investments I make or any fund raising I do will be for this sole aim.
We're victims of circumstance in that there is no other option other than playing outside of town. Not one person wants us to play in Shildon, but the fact is we can afford the Arena at the moment and there's no ground in town suitable for the level we want to start at.

Get this into your head, digest it, and stop fucking moaning over something that was impossible to avoid and cant be changed. All being well we will be back in Darlington ASAP.
Too right so what are you going to do to help get our team back into our town?

Come on lets start the ball rolling How are we to get back within 12 months?

What can we fans do to make it happen, what do 1883 need form us Money, Fund raising, lobbying probably all of these things.

No moaning lets do it, lets make this THE priority.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Mon May 14, 2012 7:28 pm

I'll donate financially via the money returned from my crowdcube shares plus a couple hundred more and a season ticket. Thats pretty much all I can do from where I am, but probably more than 99% of people up there.

I'll also help by not cluttering up the main source of information regarding the club with self pitying, woe is me, crybaby rants about how much of a shame it is we arent playing in town at the moment.

ted_do

Post by ted_do » Mon May 14, 2012 7:42 pm

After we get the FA response and sort out the league, we need to quickly look at the options for our move back home, anything more than playing at a cost reduced Arena, or the RA will need a massive effort which will take longer than 12 months to sort out.

It would be all to easy to stay in our comfort zone playing at Shildon and making ends meet, whilst pondering a return back to Darlington (oneday). I will always be trying to keep it real and keep a move home in 12 months high on our priority list.

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Mon May 14, 2012 7:51 pm

ted_do wrote:
Jazz Maverick wrote:

Too right so what are you going to do to help get our team back into our town?

Come on lets start the ball rolling How are we to get back within 12 months?

What can we fans do to make it happen, what do 1883 need form us Money, Fund raising, lobbying probably all of these things.

No moaning lets do it, lets make this THE priority.

Good man Ted_do - we're getting somewhere now!
Clearly you have the passion.
Think forwards and think positive.

Get that other thread you started to become a major point of attention.

Let us consider:

Where we are - where we need to be - how we get there.

The "Where we are" bit should be a bit clearer next week.
The 2 other points will take more time, more effort and good decisions - and that's before we start talking finances.

Do something everyday to help the club!
I don't mean financial , just one good idea might make a big difference.

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Everyone's missed the vital question here.....

Did snowscape take MERLIN to Shildon?
Mullet69uk on Twitter

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Tue May 15, 2012 8:10 am

There were some terrible things said about Shildon at the open meeting on Friday - some of the comments were ridiculous and frankly, offensive.

As I have said - when you are homeless you take what someone offers you or you sleep on the street.

I, for one, am, grateful that Shildon AFC have extended hospitality to us to help us in our hour of need.

yandarlobhoy

Post by yandarlobhoy » Tue May 15, 2012 11:00 am

First of all thanks to shildon F.C. . The only thing that worrys me slightly is the car parking.We dont want the good people of shildon getitng pissed of with us if they cant get parked in front of there house. I know its a public highway. But we dont want any ill feeling in the pubs. It only takes one local thats had to many sherbets . We need to be able to encourage as many fans as possible to be able to go to shildon and be welcomed and not resented.