Ray Simpson Tweet - Prominent NL say DFC in NL

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ray Simpson Tweet - Prominent NL say DFC in NL

Post by Quakerz » Sat May 19, 2012 2:38 pm

No, it isn't.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Sat May 19, 2012 3:24 pm

obviously not for you - as you fully understand the word sarcasm don't you....

I'll answer that for you in case you're struggling

NO

I kept it to two letters for you

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat May 19, 2012 3:27 pm

I think it's you that fails to understand sarcasm...

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Secretspy

Post by Secretspy » Sat May 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Enigma wrote:Don't you just hate it when someone makes a statement with an obvious undertone yet then deny that this is how they intended it to be interpreted

I am still hopeful that the FA may give us a start above Northern League. After all they have given 1883 "advice" all the way through Administration

tricky language English isn't it?
Have read the line again .... but no still can't get "I blame the FA" from it.

Must have a different meaning in Hartlepool.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Sat May 19, 2012 5:19 pm

so please explain the relevance of the comment ....After all they have given 1883 "advice" all the way through Administration .... if not suggesting that as they have advised us what to do then they should be lenient even though we didn't heed that advice ie come out of admin with a cva in place

when I'm back at work on Monday I'll ask someone

Secretspy

Post by Secretspy » Sat May 19, 2012 6:16 pm

Enigma wrote:so please explain the relevance of the comment ....After all they have given 1883 "advice" all the way through Administration .... if not suggesting that as they have advised us what to do then they should be lenient even though we didn't heed that advice ie come out of admin with a cva in place

The FA did not need to advise us that it would be better to come out of administration with a CVA. That's in their rules. So is the penalty for not having a CVA that is acceptable to the FA.

1883 sought FA opinion on the Raj clauses in the CVA.

By talking to the FA and getting their view 1883 could presumably have deduced what would be the best course to take and will have kept the FA in the loop on developments.

What stumps me is that is that anyone can see this as putting the blame on the FA.

Good luck with the people at work.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Sat May 19, 2012 6:48 pm

I think we'll find that all the FA have actually done is to advise us of what their preferred outcome was (exit admin with a CVA in place) and if that wasn't achievable what the possible penalties could be. They have given us the chance to put forward mitigating circumstances which I am sure they would have also advised could fall on deaf ears and that the rules could be enforced to the letter come the day.

We are in their hands certainly, but our fate was effectively put there by the last in a line of Chairman who were unable to accept that a small, poorly supported (in term of numbers) regional lower league team was going to turn them a profit be it through the team value it'self or the seemingly greater prize of the land we play on!

I know I have said I won't watch Northern League football, but in the end I will if I have to. I can't not do so. Darlo is like a sibling, however bad they've been you have to carry on loving them.
COME ON DARLO!

Charlie_Darlo

Post by Charlie_Darlo » Sat May 19, 2012 7:17 pm

If 1883's Darlington FC end up in the Northern League, prepare for a hell of a shock. It is the strongest league at its level. It is no coincidence that the FA Vase has remained in Northern League hands for 4 seasons and this season saw an all NL final.

If the club is placed in NL 1, providing it can put together a reasonable budget, it will realistically do well to finish in the top 4 or 5. A club has to finish in the top 2 to be eligible to go up and that is assuming that the champions don't want promotion.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat May 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Charlie_Darlo wrote:If 1883's Darlington FC end up in the Northern League, prepare for a hell of a shock. It is the strongest league at its level. It is no coincidence that the FA Vase has remained in Northern League hands for 4 seasons and this season saw an all NL final.

If the club is placed in NL 1, providing it can put together a reasonable budget, it will realistically do well to finish in the top 4 or 5. A club has to finish in the top 2 to be eligible to go up and that is assuming that the champions don't want promotion.
OK it wouldn't be easy but whatever division we are in we should generally have one of the largest budgets, which not necessarily a guarantee but gives us an advantage. At that point it’s what the manager does from there onwards.
We need to be positive without thinking we are easily going to wipe the floor with everyone. Let’s just get a league, get a manager, get some players and bloody get going without any tosspot chairman to pull the plug.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat May 19, 2012 7:30 pm

MikeinBlack wrote: I know I have said I won't watch Northern League football, but in the end I will if I have to.
When you say "watch" you surely mean "not watch, but would watch if I could"?

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Sat May 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Quakerz wrote:
MikeinBlack wrote: I know I have said I won't watch Northern League football, but in the end I will if I have to.
When you say "watch" you surely mean "not watch, but would watch if I could"?
Er...I think so lol. What I meant was that I, like many, say things in haste and although I indicated I wouldn't attend Northern League matches, I surely would go and watch Darlo play in any given league should the opportunity arise.
COME ON DARLO!

quakerlady

Post by quakerlady » Sat May 19, 2012 8:39 pm

The problem of being a big fish in a small pond is that for a lot of teams we will be their team to beat and so they will give 110% to beat us. Making it doubly hard for us to win a game.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sat May 19, 2012 8:45 pm

.... with all due respect our budget and ambition should get us a decent squad and it shouldn't matter if they put in 200% .... Our revival is inevitable ... and the likes of Penrith and Durham will be swept aside whatever!

quakerlady

Post by quakerlady » Sat May 19, 2012 8:51 pm

I truly hope you are right Aido but didnt we think that when we went down to BSP - I know Houghton didnt help there but we werent exactly flying

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Sat May 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Whatever league we're in we will have to be good to get out of it. Luckily we will have a twelfth player in the superb following we'll surely have!
COME ON DARLO!

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sat May 19, 2012 9:38 pm

quakerlady wrote:I truly hope you are right Aido but didnt we think that when we went down to BSP - I know Houghton didnt help there but we werent exactly flying
No we ceretainly did not think that. But I certaily do now ... ;)

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Charlie_Darlo wrote:If 1883's Darlington FC end up in the Northern League, prepare for a hell of a shock. It is the strongest league at its level. It is no coincidence that the FA Vase has remained in Northern League hands for 4 seasons and this season saw an all NL final.

Next season you can actually finish in the top 3 and go up. The rules have changed from last seasons top 2. (As long as the top 2 dont want to go up that is)

broadsexile

Post by broadsexile » Sat May 19, 2012 10:08 pm

Yes, it is the strongest league at its level, but that isn't saying very much. Look at the other Step 5/6 leagues and you'll find a whole bunch of village teams: the NL's strength is entirely down to well-established teams not taking promotion. It was offered the chance to become a feeder to the Conference when that league was formed; its board rejected that opportunity and instead chose an isolationist policy which has basically screwed the north east by not putting its teams in the mix to challenge on a national scale. That meant that teams who did make the jump - Bishops, Whitley Bay, Spennymoor and North Shields - were out on a limb when they did go up, and ended up paying huge travelling costs which hamstrung them in comparison to teams from the Manchester area and Yorkshire. The 'reward' has, ultimately, been dominance in the Vase, which seems to be the big focus for NL teams.

If we go into the NL, we'll win probably win it. We should be able to offer slightly better remuneration than the other contenders, plus we offer players the opportunity to play in front of a big crowd for an established team. We'll just have to lump it for a season: there's no point in giving up just because we're a division down. AFC Wimbledon and FCUM played their way through steps 5 and 6; one of those clubs is now a league team, and the other is one of the strongest sides in the NPL Premier. I can't see the point in giving up following a club because they're playing in a bad league. Personally, the only thing that will stop me getting to games is the fact I live in London: even then I'll try and get up whenever I can.

For what it's worth, Fleetwood have also gone from Step 5 to League 2 in about 9 seasons. It can be done.

MikeinBlack

Post by MikeinBlack » Sat May 19, 2012 10:13 pm

Just a stupid question now - assuming we are put into the NL and don't manage a successful appeal, do we actually have to declare an interest in promotion by a certain date in the season or before the season starts? How does that actually work? Just that knowing Darlo's luck we'll forget or miss the date and not be promoted lol
COME ON DARLO!

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat May 19, 2012 10:50 pm

Top 3 is from 2013/14 season so it would be top 2 next year to be promoted from the NL. However only 2 clubs get promoted from Step 5 to the Evo1. You have the Northern League, Northern Counties East and Counties West, potentially 6 teams going for 2 places. Therefore you have to have the best or 2nd best points average.

Mike - you have to apply for promotion by 31st December I think it is
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

broadsexile

Post by broadsexile » Sat May 19, 2012 11:14 pm

quakersam wrote:Top 3 is from 2013/14 season so it would be top 2 next year to be promoted from the NL. However only 2 clubs get promoted from Step 5 to the Evo1. You have the Northern League, Northern Counties East and Counties West, potentially 6 teams going for 2 places. Therefore you have to have the best or 2nd best points average.

Mike - you have to apply for promotion by 31st December I think it is
Not entirely true, Sam. There are two promotion places for each NPL1 division, meaning that - in theory - the winners of the NL, NWC, and NCE all get a place. The fourth spot is taken by a Midland team coming up; if they're from too far south, they go into the Southern League and a team gets transferred over. If a Northern League team takes promotion, either the winner of the NWC or of the NCE goes into the NPL1S, along with the team from the Midlands or the transferee. If the NL winners (or second-placed side) want promotion, they'll get it - it's in the NPL's interest to take teams from the north east.

srun
Team Supported: Shildon

Post by srun » Sun May 20, 2012 8:38 am

broadsexile wrote:
If we go into the NL, we'll win probably win it. We should be able to offer slightly better remuneration than the other contenders, plus we offer players the opportunity to play in front of a big crowd for an established team. We'll just have to lump it for a season: there's no point in giving up just because we're a division down. AFC Wimbledon and FCUM played their way through steps 5 and 6; one of those clubs is now a league team, and the other is one of the strongest sides in the NPL Premier. I can't see the point in giving up following a club because they're playing in a bad league. Personally, the only thing that will stop me getting to games is the fact I live in London: even then I'll try and get up whenever I can.

For what it's worth, Fleetwood have also gone from Step 5 to League 2 in about 9 seasons. It can be done.
Big assumption. Many of the better players at this level are now on contracts so cherry picking will not be as easy as you think, and the weekly payments may surprise you. As for it being a bad league - I hope it was just a poor choice of words - you may be there longer than you think.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sun May 20, 2012 8:53 am

..... I don't think so .... even at your level, crowds of 1000 plus and potential all ticket affairs week in week out will have some attraction. Notwithstanding, we are ambitious to move onwards and errr upwards; something most clubs (if not all) in your league sadly lack.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun May 20, 2012 11:36 am

quakerlady wrote:I truly hope you are right Aido but didnt we think that when we went down to BSP
No. We hoped to be a challenger but didn't expect it.

If we're in the NL or Evo 1N - I expect to win it. If we can't win it then we're wasting our time.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun May 20, 2012 11:38 am

srun wrote:
broadsexile wrote:

Big assumption. Many of the better players at this level are now on contracts so cherry picking will not be as easy as you think, and the weekly payments may surprise you. As for it being a bad league - I hope it was just a poor choice of words - you may be there longer than you think.
If we are placed in the Northern League then we'll expect to win it, and Spennymoor might have to put the champers on ice for a season.

I hope you don't think that's arrogance, because it's not - obviously Darlington is a club from a higher level and will expect to start climbing back up. Expect, not hope.

son of shinner

Post by son of shinner » Sun May 20, 2012 3:34 pm

if its the evo-stik north for darlo wouldnt it be a good idea to get the best lads from the north west area,save on the travelling as well,north east lads seem to like the comfort of the northern league.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:42 pm

son of shinner wrote:if its the evo-stik north for darlo wouldnt it be a good idea to get the best lads from the north west area,save on the travelling as well,north east lads seem to like the comfort of the northern league.

Yes, but they'll still require to travel to Shildon for home games!

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Sun May 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Secretspy wrote:
Enigma wrote:so please explain the relevance of the comment ....After all they have given 1883 "advice" all the way through Administration .... if not suggesting that as they have advised us what to do then they should be lenient even though we didn't heed that advice ie come out of admin with a cva in place

The FA did not need to advise us that it would be better to come out of administration with a CVA. That's in their rules. So is the penalty for not having a CVA that is acceptable to the FA.

1883 sought FA opinion on the Raj clauses in the CVA.

By talking to the FA and getting their view 1883 could presumably have deduced what would be the best course to take and will have kept the FA in the loop on developments.

What stumps me is that is that anyone can see this as putting the blame on the FA.

Good luck with the people at work.
No the FA didn't have to advise us and no you didn't use the word blame but really how do you expect your original post to be interpreted when you phase it

hopeful fa will give us a start above NL........after all then proceed to put advise us in quotes

so to use the words after all means that as they gave advice then you want some clemency ie a start above NL as if suggesting that because they were advising us then and we did all in our power to follow it (though we didn't get RJ to sign or the CVA) then we are entitled to less harsh punishment ie not NL

or in other words

if we hadn't followed their advice then they could demote us to NL without question but as we tried to but failed then they shouldn't do that - so to do so is their fault

if thats not what you were meaning then pray tell why you are hopeful they wont demote us to NL as after all they gave us they advice

The_Ponderer

Post by The_Ponderer » Sun May 20, 2012 4:49 pm

@Enema,
Could you actually say something in your posts?
You just re-cycle either the words of other people or your earlier posts.

we_8_poolie

Post by we_8_poolie » Sun May 20, 2012 4:51 pm

or just fuck off ?