Bus service to Bishop Auckland

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

uncovered
Site Admin

Bus service to Bishop Auckland

Post by uncovered » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 pm

just trying to gauge demand for this service. obviously there will be a charge, not sure how much as yet.

How many do we think would be interested in using it on a matchday? this is so we can give interested parties an idea of demand and work from there.

cheers

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Bus service to Bishop Auckland

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:03 pm

Surely you'd just fill the buses on demand, and book as many as you need?

Or is this more like a standard bus service with a certain amount of buses, and people just turn up and pay like a normal service?

I'd be interested in one from Aycliffe.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:08 pm

My dad was asking about this yesterday. Will they be non stop from Darlington to Bish? Or will there be pick ups (e.g. Cockerton Village - Heighington perhaps). Also, will they be arriving in one go for kick off, or will there be a timetable of sorts for those who wish to get a drink up there first. To early to predict i suppose.

I think this is a very good idea which will really help keep some of our older fans as they'll be able to get from a to b very easily.

My old man said he'd probably use his bus pass (for when he can't come with me). But if there was an A-B especially on a weeknight, i'm certain it would be popular as you will be guaranteed to get on the bus on the way back.

TwoSaints

Post by TwoSaints » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:09 pm

I'd use it if it stopped in Cockerton.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:16 pm

I'll be using the train weekends. Gonna get wet in the ground so won't make a difference walking to the ground.

Might get rid of my gut as well
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Trike1

Post by Trike1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:34 pm

id be interested along with my son

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:38 pm

I'd definitely use it.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Quakerz wrote:Surely you'd just fill the buses on demand, and book as many as you need?

Or is this more like a standard bus service with a certain amount of buses, and people just turn up and pay like a normal service?

I'd be interested in one from Aycliffe.
That is the answer. It is now a bit like going to an away match, the Supporters Club take as many buses as is needed. Simple system but it works.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:I'll be using the train weekends. Gonna get wet in the ground so won't make a difference walking to the ground.

Might get rid of my gut as well
Credit to you, that's one hell of a walk.

Trike1

Post by Trike1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:46 pm

but how do you know how many is needed and if you overbook will it cost the club?
these need to be factored in
in advance would be the prefered option i guess as it saves on knowing what to book
another option could be a travel ST maybe?

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:59 pm

This will be fine, but what I am asking in what do you think the uptake would be, so we can give the bus companies an idea of demand. Do we reckon 100 fans would use the bus service? or more than that? I am unsure of demand to be honest so that is why I am asking.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:05 pm

From Darlington the following services are available,

1, 1A, X1, OK1, 5

The 1, 1A run every 15 minutes combined the X1 being half hourly, giving a 10 minute combined service from Darlo, the X1 is quick, about 25 minutes, the 1/1B goes round the doors.

5 is another longer run, it goes through the places around Aycliffe before going onto Bishop, not sure of it's frequency.

OK1 is Go North East, it is half hourly, but 3 minutes apart from X1...

I was thinking a bus company could set up new commercial services for matchdays, I dont know, register new Services for a matchday only, a couple of examples being

Arriva/Garnetts/GNE could create a new link between Darlington and Bishop(lets call it D1 for now), D1 would be a quick service, stopping at Cockerton, West Park and Shildon then straight to Bishop on a 10/15 Minute Frequency, with a service running from say 12-2, then afterwards from 5-7(including Sundays and Bank Holidays) 4:45-6.45 and 9:30-11:30 for a midweek*

Another Service from Darlo(D2) that goes through Harrowgate Hill, Heighinton and Aycliffe and straight to Bishop every 15-20 minutes

A couple of other services from Durham and Ferryhill going through Spennymoor would be a canny idea...

I uploaded a timetable links page a few weeks ago, but it seems to have vanished...

Services for Aways could also be considered and most are fairly local

That way it would be keeping regular services not too packed
Last edited by fozzovmurton on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Im just waiting for people to realise that if its a private hire bus they wont be able to use there bus passes....

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:15 pm

It does not necessarily have to be a Private Service, it could be worked in to a companies present timetables...

Northern Rail have a deal whereby Concessionary Passes travel for half the adult fare, and can be used between Newcastle and Middlesbrough, Newcastle to Darlington and most importantly 'Boro/Darlo to Bishop

As for passes, surely a deal could be done whereby a pass holder can travel for 50p or £1 on a matchday bus
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Northern rail are aware of us being at bishop.

Tori has a direct contact to the regional director.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:46 pm

fozzovmurton wrote:From Darlington the following services are available,

1, 1A, X1, OK1, 5

The 1, 1A run every 15 minutes combined the X1 being half hourly, giving a 10 minute combined service from Darlo, the X1 is quick, about 25 minutes, the 1/1B goes round the doors.

5 is another longer run, it goes through the places around Aycliffe before going onto Bishop, not sure of it's frequency.

OK1 is Go North East, it is half hourly, but 3 minutes apart from X1...

I was thinking a bus company could set up new commercial services for matchdays, I dont know, register new Services for a matchday only, a couple of examples being

Arriva/Garnetts/GNE could create a new link between Darlington and Bishop(lets call it D1 for now), D1 would be a quick service, stopping at Cockerton, West Park and Shildon then straight to Bishop on a 10/15 Minute Frequency, with a service running from say 12-2, then afterwards from 5-7(including Sundays and Bank Holidays) 4:45-6.45 and 9:30-11:30 for a midweek*

Another Service from Darlo(D2) that goes through Harrowgate Hill, Heighinton and Aycliffe and straight to Bishop every 15-20 minutes

A couple of other services from Durham and Ferryhill going through Spennymoor would be a canny idea...

I uploaded a timetable links page a few weeks ago, but it seems to have vanished...

Services for Aways could also be considered and most are fairly local

That way it would be keeping regular services not too packed
I think the idea is to have an "in house" system. In this way we can build a community travel service to and from matches, parallel to the Supporters Club but not the Supporters Club (who do a great job incidently but aren't everyones cup of tea). I know a lot of people who would be interested but it's the type of thing where people need to book in advance (at a pub for example or somewhere equally handy and not exclusively on-line)

It would create a habit that some would find hard to resist ... in my opinion of course ... ;) Initially I can't see more than two coaches but who knows?) One thing is for sure, it would encourage more people to go if they knew they didn't have to drive, get a train, walk long distances and err oh yes ... park up .... :thumbup:

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:32 pm

i would use it along with a couple of mates.

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:34 pm

I'd definetly use it and i'm sure a lot more people would to.

charlie

Post by charlie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:35 pm

Count me in

Fans Lottery Admin

Post by Fans Lottery Admin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:06 pm

Me and my brother would be interested

Darlo_Rob