Advertising Hoarding For Uncovered

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

dfcdfcdfc
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Advertising Hoarding For Uncovered

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:42 pm

The barrow slogan is OK but perhaps we need a bit of defiance

Down but not dead

Alive and kicking despite the FA

Kicked by the FA when down but kicking back now

On our way home

We're still standing

You'll never kill the Darlo

No submission

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 pm

uncovered wrote: I am wanting you to make the sign by the way! Will forward you details when they are ready. Is that ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeh no problem.
Hilly wrote: Never thought about that.

Perhaps Robbo can help with the signage in the new market shop that the club is trying to set up? Sure he'll be able to do a good deal for the club.
Apparently a sign company in Bishop have muscled in on things with 1883.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:46 am

Darlo Uncovered.
Bought by the fans, for the fans!

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:59 am

loan_star wrote:
uncovered wrote: I am wanting you to make the sign by the way! Will forward you details when they are ready. Is that ok?

Yeh no problem.

Perhaps Robbo can help with the signage in the new market shop that the club is trying to set up? Sure he'll be able to do a good deal for the club.
That's a bit worrying. I assume 1883 compared these new costs to the reasonable ones you always charged (then gave back to the club in sponsorship anyway!).

Were you asked to quote for this business?

It's a real missed opportunity by 1883 if your expertise is not being used. Do they know what you have to offer?
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:25 am

Allan Quatermain wrote:
loan_star wrote:

Yeh no problem.

That's a bit worrying. I assume 1883 compared these new costs to the reasonable ones you always charged (then gave back to the club in sponsorship anyway!).

It's a real missed opportunity by 1883 if your expertise is not being used. Do they know what you have to offer?
As much as I'm a Bishop lad, it certainly seems strange if we're not putting work a Darlington companies way - especially a company with a Darlo fan running it who is likely to reinvest that money!

LS - Given you know a Bishop company has been chosen, I'm guessing you were asked. Was price an issue?

The Bishop
Team Supported: Bishop

Post by The Bishop » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:54 am

Allan Quatermain wrote:
loan_star wrote:

Yeh no problem.

I think 1883 hands may have been tied. IMHO to company from Bishop probaly has a contract to supply all signage at Heritage Park.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:43 am

The Bishop wrote:I think 1883 hands may have been tied. IMHO to company from Bishop probaly has a contract to supply all signage at Heritage Park.
Surely any contract (if there is one) would just tie Bishop Auckland in?
Hilly wrote:LS - Given you know a Bishop company has been chosen, I'm guessing you were asked. Was price an issue?
I messaged Tori when I saw that they were after signs for the market stall so I mentioned ground boards too. To be fair she was given a good price (but still dearer than me) but I think she had virtually promised the business there and then when approached at the open day. It was felt it would be more economical to get a Bishop company to do the work apparently. However she did know prior to the open day what I do so it would have been nice to have been asked prior to any agreement. Something for 1883 to work on I guess!
As for the market stall sign, I have no idea who is making that.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:47 pm

dfcdfcdfc wrote:The barrow slogan is OK but perhaps we need a bit of defiance

Down but not dead

Alive and kicking despite the FA

Kicked by the FA when down but kicking back now

On our way home

We're still standing

You'll never kill the Darlo

No submission
We are NOT Darlington FC
according to the FA

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:56 pm

loan_star wrote:
The Bishop wrote:I think 1883 hands may have been tied. IMHO to company from Bishop probaly has a contract to supply all signage at Heritage Park.
Surely any contract (if there is one) would just tie Bishop Auckland in?
Hilly wrote:LS - Given you know a Bishop company has been chosen, I'm guessing you were asked. Was price an issue?
I messaged Tori when I saw that they were after signs for the market stall so I mentioned ground boards too. To be fair she was given a good price (but still dearer than me) but I think she had virtually promised the business there and then when approached at the open day. It was felt it would be more economical to get a Bishop company to do the work apparently. However she did know prior to the open day what I do so it would have been nice to have been asked prior to any agreement. Something for 1883 to work on I guess!
As for the market stall sign, I have no idea who is making that.
Edit:

My views on this should not be made public, it's the wrong platform.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:23 pm

To be honest I am a tad miffed at certain things that have happened but hey, I don't have time to invest as much as others so can't complain.

It appears that we are sometimes forgetting our history, our links with the community, our previous suppliers, contacts, people who know the correct people who will sort a problem out. It looks like we are effectively starting as a new club with no history which is exactly what we are not.

It galls me that we are playing outside the town and are amazingly giving our money to Bishop Auckland companies. The purpose of the club is to be the heart of the community but we are playing outside of town and are spending money outside of town.

It is quite easy to ask questions to the correct people. We have had several incidents of late where decisions have been made or things have been launched where nobody has been asked to help out, yet the experience and knowledge is there.

Examples of this have been the polo shirts and merchandise. Why the rush and why did we not give previous suppliers of the club the opportunity to tender. Time will be given as one of the reasons, well at least give previous suppliers the chance.

Online club shop, even though Hilly had been heavily involved in previous sites, including the CIC, DFC1883 websites, we went live with a site which was far from finished without even asking Hilly to help out.

Help is out there, seriously you have seen the reactions and offers of help on here in the past. I just don't get the decision making at times and the need to rush things. A couple of days is not going to hurt anybody. I just feel we are alienating people unnecessarily at times. I have seen many people come and go at this football club and make the same mistakes. We should not carry on that part of the legacy. The signing company at bishop must be laughing his backside off. Turn up, give a sales pitch and gets the contract there and then. Easiest contract he has earned.

As said before, Uncovered will be purchasing an advertising hoarding and will be using a Darlington company to produce it.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:45 pm

Scott, the polo shirts were provided by a long time darlo fan who has put time and money into helping the club over the last 2 months, if that's not giving back then I don't know what is?! I know Robbo has puta lot into the club too over the years but I can't see the issue of Alex producing them on this occasion. No-one is saying he'll produce stuff forever.

Take your point re advertising boards I guess it was probably a case of that many things having to be sorted that it was easier to just say yes to an offer from a company that have experience of supplying boards at the ground and would be zero hassle. I know Tori had a massive workload and by ticking that box it allowed her to move on to something else and forget about it rather than have to ask people to tender, chase it up etc. in hindsight maybe not the best decision but like it or not decisions have had to be made quickly due to the sheer volume of stuff to do, this should not happen again hopefully and we'll have a lot more time and hopefully resource to shop around once things settle down.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:56 pm

divas wrote:Scott, the polo shirts were provided by a long time darlo fan who has put time and money into helping the club over the last 2 months, if that's not giving back then I don't know what is?! I know Robbo has puta lot into the club too over the years but I can't see the issue of Alex producing them on this occasion. No-one is saying he'll produce stuff forever.
Alex has plenty experience in supplying corporate wear and I dont have an issue with him doing it and it does keep it "in the club". Peoples issue was mainly the badge on the first batch which is easily sorted on future batches.

As for the signs, I doubt they will get what they thought was such a good deal from the same company when the club moves back to Darlo. Theyll be hoping that firms ignored previously will be falling over themselves to get involved. A bad snap decision can affect long term gains.

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:58 pm

I have no problems with alex providing the merchandise, he has offered me advice previously and I also understand his company is the new sponsor of the official site. But there was such a rush to release the first "prototype" of the polo shirt and I didn't see the need for the rush.

anyway I could start going on and I am starting to pee myself off so best leave it there.

Tori_Gill
Team Supported: DFC

Post by Tori_Gill » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Can I just butt in here. Loan_star, I had absolutely no idea who you were until a about two weeks ago and was absolutely not aware of what you had provided in the past etc. to cut a very long story short I went to bishop, went through who provided what etc (they also have their own caterers which we are using) and we went onto signage. A lady who has done the signage at bishop is doing them purely because it was simple, easier and no need to do separate orders and she reduced the cost. Plus bishop staff will only need to go up and meet one person and some dont live that near to the ground. We simply do not have time to contact companies for tendering, quotes when we are ready to start the signage to bring the much needed revenue in.

For the past two months we have been sourcing programme printers and have contacted most print firms in Darlington but have ended up at Newton aycliffe where we were originally advised to go. As so much time has even spent on that, ray who is doing our programmes is now on leave and these could have been sorted before he left but we is the dutiful thing and tried to source a darlo company but to no avail.

I also invited you to the corporate event we held this morning to which you declined.

Apologies for spelling mistakes, I am on my iPhone.
Last edited by Tori_Gill on Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's be proud of what we have achieved, Darlington Football Club needs to survive so let's all be in this together because this is your club now and your club needs you.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:31 pm

Everything should be tendered. Put a strict deadline on the tender, and if the supplier wants it enough, they'll get something back in time.

Without putting everything out to tender, unless someone involved in the decision making has the experience and knowledge re: how much things cost, you really do run the risk of being taken for a ride. Obviously this won't have been the case with the clothing, as we've got a Darlo fan supplying it, but just because it 'seemed daft' not to use the same supplier as Bishop, doesn't necessarily mean it is daft.

We have 11 players for the first day of the season, and I would think enough money now behind the club to see us through the day to day. Everything else can surely be done at a slightly slower pace. I'm sure everyone who has put their money in would rather we started the season without a programme, or without kits in the club shop, as long as long term it is done right, rather than rushing out substandard or more expensive options just to get everything ready for day one.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Spyman wrote:We have 11 players for the first day of the season, and I would think enough money now behind the club to see us through the day to day. Everything else can surely be done at a slightly slower pace. I'm sure everyone who has put their money in would rather we started the season without a programme, or without kits in the club shop, as long as long term it is done right, rather than rushing out substandard or more expensive options just to get everything ready for day one.
Really?!

I can only imagine the meltdown if that happened. Given some of the flack that's been thrown by some who seem to be waiting reasons to have a go and for the board to fail - this would just give them ammunition.

Look at the hell on there is when replica kits aren't out in time.

Sponsors who have paid good money for stuff and have listened to our please that things will be different and this is a new start. What first impression would it give if their advert wasn't ready til we'd played 2-3 games?

divas

Post by divas » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:47 pm

In terms of pricing i believe Robbo's prices are very marginly cheaper, not that that should be the reason we should be using him, that should be more than a pricing thing which is why going out to tender for the best price isn't always the best thing to do either.

Like I've said, the last 2 months should never have to be like they've been again, suppliers can be changed, as I believe no contracts have been signed, let's learn from it and move on.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:52 pm

divas wrote:
Spyman wrote:We have 11 players for the first day of the season, and I would think enough money now behind the club to see us through the day to day. Everything else can surely be done at a slightly slower pace. I'm sure everyone who has put their money in would rather we started the season without a programme, or without kits in the club shop, as long as long term it is done right, rather than rushing out substandard or more expensive options just to get everything ready for day one.
Really?!

I can only imagine the meltdown if that happened. Given some of the flack that's been thrown by some who seem to be waiting reasons to have a go and for the board to fail - this would just give them ammunition.

Look at the hell on there is when replica kits aren't out in time.

Sponsors who have paid good money for stuff and have listened to our please that things will be different and this is a new start. What first impression would it give if their advert wasn't ready til we'd played 2-3 games?
Yes, really. This time, I think the majority want to see things done properly and would forgive certain things, like replica kits, being late.

Obviously there should be priorities, things like sponsorship that has been paid for. I'd see that as more important than getting a clothing range, or a match day programme ready.

There will be some who find fault in whatever those on the board do. The board need to make sure they've got their priorities right and aren't rushing out the'quick wins' just for the sake of it, when maybe some of those things can wait a little longer. Maybe the way things are being done is the best way - none of us have ever run a football club. But maybe they're not and some lessons could be learnt as we move along.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:25 pm

divas wrote:In terms of pricing i believe Robbo's prices are very marginly cheaper, not that that should be the reason we should be using him, that should be more than a pricing thing which is why going out to tender for the best price isn't always the best thing to do either.

Like I've said, the last 2 months should never have to be like they've been again, suppliers can be changed, as I believe no contracts have been signed, let's learn from it and move on.
Marginally cheaper, with the added bonus that what little profit is seen on the work would have ended up being used in sponsorship etc or freebies done, like I have done for 15 of the last 16 years.
But never mind, maybe bishops supplier might do the same for DFC.

By the way Tori, you said you would email an invite, it never came. To be fair I did say that I was unsure whether it was worthwhile me even going and as it happens I had an urgent job to get out so that had to take priority over giving money away I'm afraid!

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:27 pm

The one thing I've noticed since helping out in the small part that I've been involved in is the danger of people spreading themselves too thinly. For all the will in the world you can only do a certain amount before things start being neglected slightly - not intentional of course, far from it... it's just the way things go.

All I can say is that if people are getting frustrated with various things - jump on board. That's what I did with the online shop and I'd like to think I've helped (some may argue not!). I know the volunteers I've spoken to are putting a hell of a lot of effort in, and it's very much a massive learning curve for all - but sometimes we need to take a step back from it all (something we've not been able to do over the last couple of months) and take our time and make sure we make the right decisions and more bodies helping can only help.

P.S. I've already had some angry emails asking why certain things aren't on the online shop yet, and why this hasn't been done etc.. You've just got to have a thick skin. With every criticism there is a thread of truth, so don't take it to heart, but certainly learn from it.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:31 pm

I'll butt in here too. I'm no sycophant but have to say I've the utmost respect for the board in trying to essentially start up a complex business under huge scrutiny in an unbelievably trying timeline. Not only must that have demanded huge effort and commitment, but it's technically a hugely difficult challenge.

When you start something like that you just don't know what you don't know as they say and you have to just crack on with it and do the best you can. Seems to me that all the decisions that have been taken have had the best interests of DFC at heart and if that stays the way then we'll be alright.

Utterly impossible to tender for everything or ensure that everyone has the chance to be involved. When you've got a thousand jobs to do on your list you just need to get through them as best as you can.

More important than the details of who produces the sponsorship boards is the very real and present danger that the current interim board will be suitably fed up by the time the AGM comes and we'll be stuffed. Have done a great job to get this far and even managed to get a real feel good factor going so get my vote and support. If one or two of our most loyal fans have to rise above some personal frustrations to help get us to the big picture then I'm sure that's what they'll do.

We need to stick together.

dfc1883

Advertising Hoarding For Uncovered

Post by dfc1883 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:08 am

If someone on the board has a thousand jobs to do and is struggling to get through a massive work load it is definitely work asking on here for help on all counts.

How hard is it to start a thread for example - "We're looking for a sign maker for our sponsor boards, does anyone know any?" and I bet you it is answered within 10 minutes with discussion and multiple suggestions within an hour or so.

We have a whole community here with lots of talented people covering many, many trades. Just ask.

It's all very well saying people should put forward the things they're good at but if we knew what was on the agenda we could step up to help.

Mikky didn't have a lot of time to design banners for the new site, and I think he said its not his strong point, so he did exactly that, posted "can someone make some banners for me?" and they were done the same day.

The help is here, we just need to know what you'd like help with? and then we can step up, no job is too big or too small not to even enquire.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:38 am

loan_star wrote:
divas wrote:In terms of pricing i believe Robbo's prices are very marginly cheaper, not that that should be the reason we should be using him, that should be more than a pricing thing which is why going out to tender for the best price isn't always the best thing to do either.

Marginally cheaper, with the added bonus that what little profit is seen on the work would have ended up being used in sponsorship etc or freebies done, like I have done for 15 of the last 16 years.
But never mind, maybe bishops supplier might do the same for DFC.

By the way Tori, you said you would email an invite, it never came. To be fair I did say that I was unsure whether it was worthwhile me even going and as it happens I had an urgent job to get out so that had to take priority over giving money away I'm afraid!
If you'd taken the time to read the post properly rather than jumping straight in when you saw the words "marginally cheaper" you'd have realised I was making the exact point that you've just made, being that price shouldn't have been the primary reason for using you (unless of course it was massively higher) but the reason is it probably would have been re-invested one way or another and because of the in the past in troubled times for the club you've helped out in uncertain circumstances when other companies wouldn't have touched us.

In reference to dfc1883's point, if no-one at Bishop had offered to do on the day when the board visited the ground just after the lease was signed then I'm surely that's exactly what would have happened, as it was there was someone with the skills who was also used to installing them at the ground. I've got to admit when Tori mentioned it to me I thought, great, that's easily sorted and one less thing to worry about. At no point did I even contemplate the fuss it may cause - it wasn't as if the club were trying to deliberately cut Robbo out as I believe they enquirer about getting shirts de-sponsored and I enquired about getting footballs printed which for a valid reason couldn't be done (the footballs that is).

Perhaps going forward the board should have a charter which is followed that outlines how requests for business should be handled but it's something that should be done when things calm down a little.

Like I've said previously it's not as if anything has been signed saying X person is to produce whatever for the rest of the history of the club. The only board that has been ordered so far will be produced by Robbo so can we move on?!

jacka1960

Post by jacka1960 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:04 am

CHUMS!!!!
Can we all please take a big deep breath.....
...I have read through all these posts and there's two messages coming through
1/ mistakes have been made
2/ We are all supporting Darlo

Nobody can fault the aspiration to put opportunities and employment in the way of loyal darlo supporters.....
Yes, this board is a great place to put a quick call for help (look at the player sponsorship/mikkyX ticket) but sometimes going direct (PM/email) may actually be best or god forbid a phone call!!!!
So let's draw a line under the mistakes, learn from them...
...I know I don't know any of you personally, I'm an exile but i've been a darlo supporter for 40 years and am VERY proud of the way we are pulling together....this little diatribe is not aimed at any individual....
...off me soapbox now....
where we play in the short term isn't an issue....the fact we are playing at all is important!!
Founder Member 1883CIC
Come on Darlo :)

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:00 pm

m62exile wrote:have to say I've the utmost respect for the board in trying to essentially start up a complex business under huge scrutiny in an unbelievably trying timeline.

We need to stick together.
Couldnt agree more!
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

toffeewhite

Post by toffeewhite » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:21 pm

I don't understand that the above business decisions are being described as "mistakes"?

My company answered a call for help on this board earlier in the year to produce shirts, and the decision to use me was criticised on here! It ended strangely, with me posting a justification of my company and my DFC supporting history!

Anyway to allay any fears...

We briefly presented early, initial ideas to form a DFC Business Club at the Rockliffe Hall event which will, hopefully, enable companies supporting the club to be able to inter-trade with each other, go on a business register for fans to use (generating more work for these supporting companies) and quite simply rewarding supporting businesses with a growth in their business because of DFC. This should be great for companies who support the club. Screentech and others clearly fit in this ideal, as DFC supporting business. More details will follow.

All the businesses who attended and supported the Rockliffe function yesterday, were very supportive of this and could see a "win/win" for both DFC and businesses, when asked.

Additionally, I've also seen pricing being discussed between numerous working party and board members before decisions are made, so I don't see any evidence of us being overcharged or one person making a rash decision on costs.

To put all the club's purchases out to tender would be a huge administrative job and after seeing how much board and working party members are devoting unpaid time every day of a 7 day week, there isn't a chance of that happening at present, until all the basic bricks have been laid in the foundation of DFC 1883. After that, there should be no reason not to tender work out.

Hope the above helps?