Alf Ramsey Knew My Grandfather

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

QuakerPete
Team Supported: Darlington

Alf Ramsey Knew My Grandfather

Post by QuakerPete » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:15 pm

Don't forget your tickets for this comedy drama (no, it's not us this time) - how West Auckland won the World Cup in 1909. It's on at the Civic Theatre and all profits are going to Darlington FC.

There are four evening performances and one matinee - from July 24 to July 27 - tickets are £10 up to £20. Martin Gray and his players will be at the July 27 performance and introduced to the audience.

Contact the Civic Theatre on 01325 486555

http://www.darlofc.co.uk/news.php?NewsID=946

charlie

Re: Alf Ramsey Knew My Grandfather

Post by charlie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:23 pm

Rota changed at worked and 2 tickets booked for Fridays performance

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:22 pm

Still time to get your tickets for this production - starts tonight and runs until Friday night

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:26 pm

How much do DFC receive for each ticket?
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Tori_Gill
Team Supported: DFC

Post by Tori_Gill » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:18 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:How much do DFC receive for each ticket?
Honest answer?

Ticket sale split is 25/75 with the Civic, DFC'S share obviously being the 75%. Their share covers the theatre's running costs, theatre staff, stagehands, lighting, marketing etc which is a pretty fair split. DFC have paid the whole production costs and we have recouped our money back on those but to make a decent enough profit, we need more ticket sales.

We will also be selling merchandise tonight including season tickets, CIC memberships and car park passes.

I have been down to the civic today to watch the rehearsals, very, very funny the play is so please go and see it.
Let's be proud of what we have achieved, Darlington Football Club needs to survive so let's all be in this together because this is your club now and your club needs you.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Have tickets been reduced? I'm sure they were around £40 at one stage? At that price i'm tempted.

Tori_Gill

Post by Tori_Gill » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:51 pm

divas wrote:Have tickets been reduced? I'm sure they were around £40 at one stage? At that price i'm tempted.
No, never been £40! It's £20 for an evening performance (concessions different) and I think its £10 for the Thursday matinee one.
Let's be proud of what we have achieved, Darlington Football Club needs to survive so let's all be in this together because this is your club now and your club needs you.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Tori_Gill wrote:
divas wrote:Have tickets been reduced? I'm sure they were around £40 at one stage? At that price i'm tempted.
No, never been £40! It's £20 for an evening performance (concessions different) and I think its £10 for the Thursday matinee one.
Dunno where i dreamt that one up from?! Think i'll head down on Thurs night then.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:17 pm

Me plus 3 others going tomorrow night.

Should be good.

DFCSC1

Post by DFCSC1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:30 pm

divas wrote:
Tori_Gill wrote:
Dunno where i dreamt that one up from?! Think i'll head down on Thurs night then.
The cheap session is Thursay afternoon, not evening.

loobyloo

Post by loobyloo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:59 pm

2 tickets booked for thursday night looking forward to it.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:27 pm

Good promotion on ITV NE news tonight, Hopefully make a few more go to the shows.

darlotoon

Post by darlotoon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Went to see this tonight with my almost 80yr old mum .It is brilliant , funny , heartwarming , moving , shows how IMPORTANT a football club is to the community. Nice speech at the end by Dave Nellist and a collection for the club. At £20 a pop it was great entertainment !

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:48 pm

Just been tonight.
Excellent stuff!!!

Very Funny and very interesting.

Well worth a visit

I am always interested in this story as my great great uncle was Charlie Hogg.

darlotoon

Post by darlotoon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:50 pm

Darlo Since 68 wrote:Just been tonight.
Excellent stuff!!!

Well worth a visit

Was he really ?Quite a guy ! thought the side stories were fascinating

piggy

Post by piggy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:16 pm

Excellent stuff!!

credit to Doug and Shaun for organising it, well worth a look people.

Tori_Gill

Post by Tori_Gill » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:32 pm

piggy wrote:Excellent stuff!!

To be fair, they were asked to come to Darlington by doug and Shaun but the organising has been down to 1883 and the volunteers. Credits go to ray Simpson for sourcing the programme printers and aiding in the design, the civic staff who marketed this as much as they could, the various printing companies who provided us with posters and flyers, the volunteers who distributed flyers throughtout the town, the volunteers who went to the miners gala and held banners for three hours, 1883 and the endless phone calls with the production crew, the people who work but spent hours going backwards and forwards arranging things, Colin at DFC who assisted win the provision of props, the people who actually bought tickets (thank you) and the people who invested in the club as without the investments, 1883 would not have had the money to pay for the production costs.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:36 pm

If you live in travelling distance of the Civic, make the effort to go. You'll not regret it. Great show. If you can get of 9 mates to go with you, the group discount reduces tickets to £15 each - bargain. In fact if there's 8 of you, buy 10 tickets and you save a tenner!

Tori_Gill

Post by Tori_Gill » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:40 pm

The play gets rave reviews wherever it is and Ed Waugh is trilled to be bringing it to darlington. I'm there Friday and can't wait! Press night tonight too and I'm sure the reviews were fan do fingers crossed they generate more ticket sales.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:23 am

Went last night and all I can say is that it was a fantastic production, so please make the effort to go and see it, you wont regret it.
Just like we are trying to keep football in the town we need the civic forum etc to survive.

BrianGento

Post by BrianGento » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:56 pm

Tori_Gill wrote:

To be fair, they were asked to come to Darlington by doug and Shaun but the organising has been down to 1883 and the volunteers. Credits go to ray Simpson for sourcing the programme printers and aiding in the design, the civic staff who marketed this as much as they could, the various printing companies who provided us with posters and flyers, the volunteers who distributed flyers throughtout the town, the volunteers who went to the miners gala and held banners for three hours, 1883 and the endless phone calls with the production crew, the people who work but spent hours going backwards and forwards arranging things, Colin at DFC who assisted win the provision of props, the people who actually bought tickets (thank you) and the people who invested in the club as without the investments, 1883 would not have had the money to pay for the production costs.
The first half sentence of this comment is misleading and incorrect.

jacka1960

Post by jacka1960 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:16 pm

BrianGento wrote:
Tori_Gill wrote:

Oh here we go again........ :roll:
where we play in the short term isn't an issue....the fact we are playing at all is important!!
Founder Member 1883CIC
Come on Darlo :)

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:18 pm

BrianGento wrote:
Tori_Gill wrote:

Perhaps you could set the record straight then Doug?

I was going to ask what your's and Shaun's involvement had been since the initial press call as I'd expected that you & Shaun would have been more involved in publicising/organising it - then again perhaps you have been & I've missed it.

BrianGento

Post by BrianGento » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:14 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:
BrianGento wrote:
Tori_Gill wrote:

Perhaps you could set the record straight then Doug?

I was going to ask what your's and Shaun's involvement had been since the initial press call as I'd expected that you & Shaun would have been more involved in publicising/organising it - then again perhaps you have been & I've missed it.
Ok,Robbie. I don't especially like the culture and atmosphere of Uncovered-due apols , Scott- ( e.g. the comment above of " here we go again" or the awful ,long thread from yesterday re " volunteers"..where I totally agree with AIDO...i.e. there's no wonder the club is not connecting with as many people as it needs to ).

I've maintained a dignified silence for a long time and, most recently, have been closely involved with the Trust. I need to stress that the points below are MY OWN. Nothing to do with the Trust.

The key message is: SUPPORT THE PLAY AT THE CIVIC!! But, for the anally retentive, the following message may be rather - but inavoidably- long.

Putting the record straight? Wow, mate. That, in total, would take a whole book. Hmmm... now there's a thought. However, when I read Tori's comments above, I felt the need to comment on this one specific issue: the play.

The playwrites, Ed & Trevor ( terrific guys) first approached me & Shaun in January when media coverage was at its peak. We then had several meetings with them and other meetings with many other parties; we liaised with Lidds, the club, Echo, Civic, and were originally planning a Sports Celebrity night at the Civic on the Monday of this week, a special limited edition beer, etc.

In the midst of this, 2 days after 1883 was formed, we were both ( to quote a post from many months ago) binned from media duties by 1883. This put us in a difficult position but, after consultation with Lidds and others -and since it was by then known that League funding for the Youth Team would end in July - vwe decided to " keep the play on the road" and devote all proceeds to the Youth Team. Remember, this was the point ( in March) when over half of our 1st team WAS the Youth Team. We kept the pot boiling and, e.g., went to West Auckland home games and handed out 1000s of flyers for the play ( so, a big thank you to ProntaPrint); wrote articles for e.g. DFC matchday programme, kept in touch with the media ( at one point we had "The One Show" keenly interested), etc.

It then became, partly in dialogues with Lidds, very unclear whether even the Youth Team would survive and we had a difficult decision to make. It looked as if, without an identifiable "cause", the play would have to be cancelled.Personally, I did not want to let down: a) DFC, b) the playwrites or the actors, so I then carefully planned and facilitated a series of meetings which enabled us to offer the play to 1883.

Shaun & I offered our services to help promote the play but this offer has never been responded to. So, I'm simply "putting the record straight" in explaining that the situation wasn't remotely as simple as Tori had depicted in her post. In truth, one helluva lot of work; one helluva lot of faith had already been invested by the time we managed to hand the play over to 1883.

Yes, I was disappointed to be binned from media work by 1883.

Yes, I am hugely disappointed to have no ongoing involvement with the play-especially since the inspiration for the whole concept was triggered by the events of 18 January...

But, hey, I still had the cojones to pick myself up, dress myself down and step up to the plate and try to steer the Trust towards a new, very positive future.

WHY? Because ,above all, I love DFC ( damn it, I've watched the ups & downs for 58 years) . Equally, I detest squabbling and petty politics.

MY MESSAGE? Well.....it's the same as on 18 January....

* Never say die
...and.....
* Support the NEW Trust ( great bunch of guys)
* SUPPORT THE PLAY! Get yourself down to The Civic. Remember: Ed & Trevor didn't HAVE to offer the play last January. They did so because they share your...and my...passion as football fans. COME ON DOWN!

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Darlo Since 68 wrote:Just been tonight.
Excellent stuff!!!

Well worth a visit

Is it similar to the classic tv movie A captains Tale at all?
Loved that flick as a young un growing up with me being from West Auckland.

AnthonyP

Post by AnthonyP » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:50 pm

BrianGento wrote:
Tori_Gill wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying you didn't put an awful lot of effort into setting everything up, doug. You should read he full sentence as a sentence, rather than paraphrasing it.

BrianGento

Post by BrianGento » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm

AnthonyP wrote:
BrianGento wrote:
Tori_Gill wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying you didn't put an awful lot of effort into setting everything up, doug. You should read he full sentence as a sentence, rather than paraphrasing it.
If you read my full reply, that's not my point. And, you know that.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Just back from the civic.

This play is brilliant!

The message is clear, just go and see it. Simple.

Oh, I can't see what the argument is about! There's only one club that could turn an evening at the theatre into a tissy fit.

And my dad was bigger than your dad. (Probably).

charlie

Post by charlie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Guys come on, this is getting pathetic, we have a club, and this is fantastic news. Were not where we wanted to be but they tried to killl us but were still here.
Lets celebrate this fact, lets celebrate all we have achieved so far. Stop the bickering pull our socks up and lets get on with rebuilding OUR CLUB!

jacka1960

Post by jacka1960 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:Just back from the civic.

This play is brilliant!

The message is clear, just go and see it. Simple.

Oh, I can't see what the argument is about! There's only one club that could turn an evening at the theatre into a tissy fit.

And my dad was bigger than your dad. (Probably).
Precisely why I said "here we go again" how many sensible threads have to turn into a slanging match...
...and before you start this is not a dig at anybody, I don't know you, you don't know me. I judge people on their actions not statements.
My views on trolls have been well aired :)
I have encouraged ALL my friends and family in Darlo to see the play, I still have "the captains tale" on BETAMAX when I first recorded it from tyne-tees all those years ago....
..." a kick aboot?????" " You nar my theory on that!!!!"
wish I could see this play.... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
where we play in the short term isn't an issue....the fact we are playing at all is important!!
Founder Member 1883CIC
Come on Darlo :)