Teams with money

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

Teams with money

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Peterborough - splashed the cash, crowds went up and town backed the millionaire. Massive buzz about the place. Look where they are now.

Notts County - you can bet their crowds go up and they go places. This will happen. Massive buzz about the place.

Darlington - spend loads of money on a good squad, couple of £100,000 signings to capture the publics imagination - fuck all, nothing, nada, nobody interested. Where was the buzz? Instead a few people moan about the ground not being in their back garden and the fact they have to pay average L2 rates to get in.

Peterborough went from strength to strength, Notts County WILL go from strength to strength, Darlo didn't.

People say Houghton is the c*** which may be true, but personally I'd say there are 95,000 c**** in Darlington alone.

The chance of being something was handed to us on a platter like the other 2 clubs mentioned, but the ungrateful tossers of this town did not want to know.

Lets face it, we (when I say we I don't mean US the ones who actually support the club, I mean we the town in general) have now got the club that we deserve, a club just coming out of turmoil, a club with a tiny budget and not much hope of doing anything. We failed to grasp our opportunity, I am so bitter that hardly anybody gave a fuck.

I feel like walking down high row and randomly abusing everybody I see.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Ned_Flanders

Re: Teams with money

Post by Ned_Flanders » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:54 pm

Make sure you stop by the George.

isitouryear

Post by isitouryear » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:57 pm

my heart is telling me i agree with everything quakerz has just said

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:58 pm

i hear ya mate and i know where you're coming from, notts will no doubt make a success of it if they people behind the club are genuine as they have a history of good crowds and a big city to get behind them - id imagine they could realistically emulate what hull have done in the next 5/6 years.

the people of darlington arent interested in the football club and we just have to accept that barring games vs big name teams we'll never see more than the 3k average.

they are too happy to peddle out excuses that even if addressed make no difference.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:01 pm

Ned_Flanders wrote:Make sure you stop by the George.
Are you saying you do not agree with me?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:02 pm

Quakerz wrote:Peterborough - splashed the cash, crowds went up and town backed the millionaire. Massive buzz about the place. Look where they are now.

Notts County - you can bet their crowds go up and they go places. This will happen. Massive buzz about the place.

Darlington - spend loads of money on a good squad, couple of £100,000 signings to capture the publics imagination - fuck all, nothing, nada, nobody interested. Where was the buzz? Instead a few people moan about the ground not being in their back garden and the fact they have to pay average L2 rates to get in.

Peterborough went from strength to strength, Notts County WILL go from strength to strength, Darlo didn't.

People say Houghton is the c*** which may be true, but personally I'd say there are 95,000 c**** in Darlington alone.

The chance of being something was handed to us on a platter like the other 2 clubs mentioned, but the ungrateful tossers of this town did not want to know.

Lets face it, we (when I say we I don't mean US the ones who actually support the club, I mean we the town in general) have now got the club that we deserve, a club just coming out of turmoil, a club with a tiny budget and not much hope of doing anything. We failed to grasp our opportunity, I am so bitter that hardly anybody gave a fuck.

Qz - I don't always agree with you but on this occasion you are dead right.

Unlike you I would only randomly abuse idiots in Premiershite shirts. In fact I already do.

The only flaw in your argument that I can see is the clubs in question - Peterborough and Notts Co have seen their closest "higher league" rivals like Norwich, Ipswich, Forest and Derby slipping down the leagues. On the other hand we had (until recently) 3 Prem teams on the doorstep.

If we get off to a good start and things go wrong for Boro and Barcodes we just might get some of the fickle fans back.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:05 pm

divas wrote:i hear ya mate and i know where you're coming from, notts will no doubt make a success of it if they people behind the club are genuine as they have a history of good crowds and a big city to get behind them - id imagine they could realistically emulate what hull have done in the next 5/6 years.

the people of darlington arent interested in the football club and we just have to accept that barring games vs big name teams we'll never see more than the 3k average.

they are too happy to peddle out excuses that even if addressed make no difference.
Notts County don't have a history of good crowds, certainly not in the last 30 years anyway, as they are in the shadow of Forest. But you can bet a lot of people jump on the bandwagon. Darlington people instead complained that the bandwagon did not stop at their front door and knock them out of bed, or that they weren't told about any bandwagon and didn't know where it was.

piggy

Post by piggy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:10 pm

Quakerz wrote:Peterborough - splashed the cash, crowds went up and town backed the millionaire. Massive buzz about the place. Look where they are now.

Everything you say is true mate, although I do think we have another george to thank for some of the apathy that is shown by the town towards the club.

Be particularly interested as to how notts get on this season a team with a fan base and a ground not too dissimilar to ours although they have been in the top flight!

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:13 pm

they were in the second tier around 15 years ago, not getting massive crowds but still a sustained 7-10k, something which we've never done, looking at the gates for their big cup games it also seems as tho the floaters are there, the likes of which will probably turn out again should the club start to do well

i wonder if they'd have seen a massive increase in crowds this season without sven's name being mentioned?

Ned_Flanders

Post by Ned_Flanders » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:27 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Ned_Flanders wrote:Make sure you stop by the George.
Are you saying you do not agree with me?
I agree to a point Quakerz, i dont agree with this " 95000 c**** " bit. Have you ever thought about the people that cant even afford to take the £18 ticket price away from the families pocket ? Never mind the food etc, and these people are not " c**** " because they are skint.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:14 pm

Yes there are lots of people who cannot afford to go but that is the same in every town in the country. Most other towns still get more attending who can afford it, than what we do.

princebishop

Post by princebishop » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:04 pm

I agree with you, a large majority of Darlington Football Club fans are fickle. How many did we take to Wembley on each occasion? how many roll up for a big match? but how many turn up week in week out?

I know of fans that used to watch us, but the main reason they no longer go is the cost of entry. £18 is too much to pay on a long term basis for the standard of football we are prone to witness, unless you are a real supporter.

We are probably one of the smallest clubs in our division, nevermind the Football League and are now saddled with a big white feckin elephant of a stadium that a fat clown built. That stadium will be the death of us. We will never have the fanbase that Notts County or Peterborough have.

Magical Quakers

Post by Magical Quakers » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:08 pm

Just to point out that Notts County do get (and always have done) higher attendances that we do.

Nottingham is a bigger city so potential for attracting support is much higher, despite Forest being there too.

Despite them being dire for the past few seasons.

Last 5 season:
  • Darlo 2931 3818 3819 4198 4807
    Notts 4445 4732 4973 5466 6432
Taken from http://www.emfootball.co.uk/attend.html

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:18 pm

Agreed, spot on.

Fair enough there are people who simply can't afford it, and some that genuinely don't have any interest in football. But a huge proportion of the people of Darlington are apathetic twats who have continually turned their backs on the town's club.

I can't stand the smug roll of the eyes or 'typical darlo' remarks you get whenever the topic of DFC comes up. And I've yet to hear a valid excuse from someone living in Darlington who follows a top-4 club despite having no links to them as to why they won't support the club.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:22 pm

The town made it's feelings known shortly after the club went into administration, to me the attendances in the remaining league games at home last season and at the fundraiser spoke volumes.

I got comments such as; "Darlo are the s*** of the north east", "is anyone bothered?", "Darlo, what's the point in them?". At the end of the day following a football club is a choice, not a duty the people of the town don't have to support the club.

Had the club folded the earth wouldn't have moved in Darlington, it'd have been "oh that's a shame", "I'm a (insert premiershit team name here) fan myself but it's a shame they folded....", "they were shite anyway" etc.

That is something that lower league clubs in general are facing not just Darlo, the interest isn't there and it never really was GH found this out the hard way and although the last 4/5 months were unforgiveable, he wasn't to blame for the lack of support.

The fact is lower league clubs are fighting a losing battle with top level football being so freely available on TV these days, people can go into a pub to watch watch a match on TV and get a few pints for the cost of getting in at a club like Darlo.

And I agree with piggy that the other George helped create the apathy in the town towards the club. He is the reason the club now finds itself in the farcical situation it's now in, yes he gave the town a great facility but as GH found out with the team and manager he brought in they never asked for it and never wanted it.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Midfield maestro

Post by Midfield maestro » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:07 pm

Having visited the stadium for the first time for the recent friendly games, I have to say I'm really impressed and looking forward to being able to attend home games this year. However, with gates of around 3,000, it must be hard to generate any kind of atmosphere in there. Why don't they let school kids in for free at specific games or reduce prices all round for some fixtures like other clubs do. Players have plenty of free time in the season, get them in to local schools to do a bit of coaching and create some interest rather than just letting local kids become Man U fans.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:18 pm

Bang on Q We (the general Darlington public) looked the gift horse in the mouth and punched its carrot down its fucking throat. :roll:

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:31 pm

Not this old chestnut again!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:35 pm

Sorry but seeing Notts County getting all excited has made me all bitter and twisted. We maybe were never going to be in that sort of league where we would talk to Ericsson but we threw away what we did have.

And your old chestnut of "we never had big crowds historically" does not make the towns apathy alright either.

fcdarlo

Post by fcdarlo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:56 pm

I am not particularly disagreeing with the thread, but the club does not have the god given right to have the towns folk turn up.

I am on the whole form a pretty typical Darlo family, mam dad, brother and me all born and bread in Darlington.

I went week in week out for years but then went to Uni, then after Uni never moved back to Darlo, so know when I am looking at a visit to the folks I try to tie it in with a football game but I make it perhaps 5 times a season at home games, I live down south and probably do 10 away games.

My dad, lives in Darlo but has occasional interest in football and the club, if I am home we will go along together apart from that he is not too concerned but likes to keep in touch with the club, but in all honesty is not a massive football fan and probably does that out of my interest, he does not have sky and does not visit pubs to watch games.

My mother and brother both live in Darlo no interest in football at all never have.

Now as I say I think this is a pretty fair reflection of a family from the Town, I would call myself a fan of Darlo and am very proud of it, but do not make it to many homes games cos of the geography.

I think the Forum is a good facility the town has, but have been once and if it closed down would I be bother, no not really. The Arts Centre, never been since school and if you saw it going bust would you care, and perhaps a better Example would be the cinema, my guess once a thriving business, but over the years as tees-side park has opened and other options (dvd’s & sky movies) have come available I fancy it is on it’s last legs and how much would you care.

What I am trying to say is too say that the town should always be there for the club is a little over the top, I would love them to be, but some people just are not interested a shame but a fact.

Darlo Cockney

Post by Darlo Cockney » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:57 pm

This is a good thread - Quakerz makes some good points, but as others have said, the world has changed and since the advent of wall to wall Premiership at the local, many have chosen to stay away from lower league football.

As most of you know, I was born and bred a Spurs fan and will always follow them, however, having now lived in Darlo for 25 years I am equally devoted to DFC and have always tried to do my bit to ensure their survival.

When I first went to White Hart Lane, it was with my old man and I was 5 years old. I was passed over the heads of the crowd, to sit in front of the terrace wall, about 5 yards from the pitch. The noise was incredible - everyone sang, cheered - we rang bells and swung rattles ( both would now be banned !!). - it was so exciting and I was hooked, as were all of my mates.

As we got older, we didn't go with our Dads - when Spurs won the double, we went to every home game (only went to away games in London), but incredibly, got tickets for the Cup Final in '61 and '62, by queing all night!! - No corporate in those days - just "Proper" fans - but players also signed autographs, talked to you and went into the pub for a beer.

And all that time we stood on the terraces - lots of pushing and shoving - especially when Greavsie, or my favourite, John White scored - but people looked out for each other.

Sorry to ramble, but Quakerz is wrong, it isn't just the DARLO fans that are apathetic, it is that the game has changed and unfortunately for the worse.

Moaning and complaining - It doesn't matter who you support - football fans are never satisfied - have a look at some of the Yids boards if you don't believe me.

So, anyone who is not just happy to still have Darlo to support, give your head a shake and do all you can to get behind the Club.

DC
Started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:12 pm

Why is it though that when other clubs get taken over by rich owners it spells investment and success whereas for us it means a brief flirtation with promotion via the play offs followed by financial meltdown!!

However I think we shouldn't cast jealous looks at the likes of Notts County though. Perhaps a club run within its means like Exeter should be our source of inspiration . . I stand to be corrected but I bet their playing budget last season wasn't astronomical and yet they competed and won promotion. To a lesser extent Dagenham & Redbridge were also play-off contenders for a spell and I can't imagine they were rolling in cash.

I would also argue that Houghton's style, the way Hodgson left the club and the general feeling that we were living beyond our means did nothing to inspire the lapsed Darlo fans to return or the town in general. Perhaps a club living within its means, building links with the community and looking to nurture home grown North East talent might get the crowds back above the 3,500 mark??? . . . . or not.

jqm18287

Post by jqm18287 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:47 pm

The players and Dave Penney ultimately failed to get us promotion. Last season when it looked as though we might be promoted George Houghton put us into administration and ruined our chances.

I have yet to see a fan score a goal. A crowd of 1 or 25,000 does not give you more goals and hence points.

The demographics of Darlington suggest we have a population of about 100,000.
However, 65,000 of these are unlikely to attend due to age and sex. Add to that figure people who do not like football or cannot afford to go and the number reduces again. Add more "c****" like my mum and dad who spent around a decade supporting Darlington until they became bored with lowest tier football and instead chose Premier League football from the comfort of their armchairs and we're in the region of 70% of Darlingtonians are c**** and don't even realise it.

I think Goerge Houghton amounted debts of £7,800,000 in 3 years. 7,800,000 divided by 69 home league games equals a loss of £113,043. Divide this by the most expensive ticket price and it is 6,280. Please correct my maths if incorrect but that is an extra 6280 full price paying adults just to break even.

I know which c*** I blame.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:45 pm

The club was never going to break even, it wouldn't have taken an extra 6280 to prevent the shite that went on. Sub-3000 crowds were a piss-take, I firmly believe that crowds over 5000 (total) should have turned up and I'm still scratching my head as to why they didn't. Even at this level, it would have given some hope that the club could progress and the losses may have been acceptable.

Everyone on here predicted that Houghton would get pissed off at the lack of support and pull the plug, and then they called him a c*** when he did.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:17 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:The club was never going to break even, it wouldn't have taken an extra 6280 to prevent the shite that went on. Sub-3000 crowds were a piss-take, I firmly believe that crowds over 5000 (total) should have turned up and I'm still scratching my head as to why they didn't. Even at this level, it would have given some hope that the club could progress and the losses may have been acceptable.

Everyone on here predicted that Houghton would get pissed off at the lack of support and pull the plug, and then they called him a c*** when he did.
I expected Houghton to pull the plug at the end of last season if we hadn't got promoted.

The alarm bells were ringing for me in October/November time when we were flying in the league, but myself and no doubt a lot of others realised things weren't as rosy off the pitch.

The reason why many people myself included turned on Houghton was the timing of administration, the 10 point deduction effectively ended the season in February. The fact the administrators have said he's kept the club afloat has got people scratching their heads, why couldn't he have waited? I know it's all water under the bridge now but the fact that he effectively ended any chance of promotion last season so close to the end was just too much to take, and IMO unforgiveable. I'm glad that he seems to have realised it can no longer work with him at the helm as that ill feeling and resentment would still be there.

Now Raj Singh has a very difficult job of rebuilding the confidence of supporters and business alike. Since moving to the new stadium the club has faced extinction twice in six years which really does make people question it's viability .
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:12 am

This is a classical message board style over-simplification of a complex subject.

Amongst many, many, other factors there was Reynolds, who would probably have broken the hearts of any Club's support base had they been unfortunate enough to have him in charge.

Still, the thread is inching towards 95,000 supportive replies so perhaps Quakerz has a point...

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:18 am

I expect you're right about the Reynolds factor but I don't understand it. People should hold Reynolds responsible for all that s*** rather than the football club. How is staying away from DFC long after Reynolds has gone going to get at him?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:09 am

Reynolds did play a part as he alienated people from the club and disconnected it from the town when he shipped it out to the new stadium. How many other club's chairman visited people's homes at 2am? And who could forget the documentary shortly after the stadium opened and all they got from people was "no comment"?.

But he's long gone now, to me this is not a complex subject it's just a case of the town having no interest in the football club. Reading some of the other posts about this some people to seem think that the town has a duty to support the club which it doesn't.

As I said above it is the state of lower league football in general there is little interest.

darlomilo

Post by darlomilo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:24 am

fcdarlo wrote:perhaps a better Example would be the cinema, my guess once a thriving business, but over the years as tees-side park has opened and other options (dvd’s & sky movies) have come available I fancy it is on it’s last legs and how much would you care.
as an employee of odeon i can assure you the cinema makes plenty of money with them owning the building the majority of the money that places takes if pure profit as they dont have rent to pay unlike the new multiplex's, also in times when money is tight the cinema generally does better than most other business as people will treat them each other to trips there rather than hoidays or weekends aways as its cheaper, maybe woolworths would have been a better example.

fcdarlo

Post by fcdarlo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Wow, a thread of discussion that has hit page two without any swearing at each other.

darlomilo - regards the Cinema example I think you know what I was getting at, just it seems a bad example.

It's a shame but football in the lower leagues is really struggling, I said it when then admin started, I simply can not see the bottom two leagues being sustained as it is over the next 10 years. I hope I am wrong but it needs help.