Teams with money

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlo2001uk
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Teams with money

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:20 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:The club was never going to break even, it wouldn't have taken an extra 6280 to prevent the shite that went on. Sub-3000 crowds were a piss-take, I firmly believe that crowds over 5000 (total) should have turned up and I'm still scratching my head as to why they didn't. Even at this level, it would have given some hope that the club could progress and the losses may have been acceptable.

Everyone on here predicted that Houghton would get pissed off at the lack of support and pull the plug, and then they called him a c*** when he did.
I expected Houghton to pull the plug at the end of last season if we hadn't got promoted.

The alarm bells were ringing for me in October/November time when we were flying in the league, but myself and no doubt a lot of others realised things weren't as rosy off the pitch.

The reason why many people myself included turned on Houghton was the timing of administration, the 10 point deduction effectively ended the season in February. The fact the administrators have said he's kept the club afloat has got people scratching their heads, why couldn't he have waited? I know it's all water under the bridge now but the fact that he effectively ended any chance of promotion last season so close to the end was just too much to take, and IMO unforgiveable. I'm glad that he seems to have realised it can no longer work with him at the helm as that ill feeling and resentment would still be there.

Now Raj Singh has a very difficult job of rebuilding the confidence of supporters and business alike. Since moving to the new stadium the club has faced extinction twice in six years which really does make people question it's viability .
I have no desire to stand up for Houghton in any way, but what difference did it make when he put us into admin?

The argument that if he had waited we would have won promotion is nonsensical. What would have happened then? Promotion bonuses to be paid, more money to be spent the following season to give us a chance of staying in division one and therefore bigger debts.

The increased crowds - until we dropped into the bottom three anyway - and prize money gained from going up would not have made a dent in the £54,000 a week loss as our outgoings would have been higher than our increased income.

Sorry, but I have never understood the 'promotion would have solved all the problems' argument.