the march hare (pub near ground)on saturday

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

quakerray
Team Supported: Darlington

the march hare (pub near ground)on saturday

Post by quakerray » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:06 am

spoke to a friend who works there and i mentioned again that we will no doubt be bringing a few in and she said there is a wedding party booked a section of the pub from 12. so itll no doubt be busy with that,normal meal customers and us.

just thought i'd let people know in advance.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Re: the march hare (pub near ground)on saturday

Post by princes town » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:07 am

i don't think this is a suitable pub for a football crowd. If I was out for a nice meal with the missus after shopping the last thing In would want is a boisterous football crowd. That's not being disrespectful but unless the march Hare has a tap room it won't work. If the Bishop bar can't cope, surely there must be a workys bar nearby that would be grateful of the custom. I walked past a pub called the Aclet the other day.

willphil
Team Supported: Darlington FC, Cas Tigers RLFC

Post by willphil » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:37 am

its takes ages to get served for "just a pint" in there, they do concentrate on the meals, same goes for Tindale Crossing pub, Tindale Clubs not too far away and is a good option.... and princes if you were looking for a 'nice' meal you certainly wouldnt go there lol

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:45 am

willphil wrote:its takes ages to get served for "just a pint" in there, they do concentrate on the meals, same goes for Tindale Crossing pub, Tindale Clubs not too far away and is a good option.... and princes if you were looking for a 'nice' meal you certainly wouldnt go there lol
Thanks for the advice mate. Tindale club it is. i remember my Sunday morning team returning to one of these posh franchise places but they had a tap room so you could separate the customers. I hope people don't misunderstand me, this isn't a slight on football fans just a recognition that ambience is a delicate thing. Cordon Bleu comments noted.

BishopBorn
Team Supported: Bishop

Post by BishopBorn » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Heritage Park bar open to all on Saturday as usual.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:03 pm

But all will not get in!

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:14 pm

Tindale club used to be a nightmare to get in if you wernt a member or had someone to sign you in ...this was when i used to live at west Auckland 9/10 years back so things may have changed hopefully

quakerray

Post by quakerray » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:40 pm

i was just saying that part of it was booked up for a wedding, i wasnt saying everyone was gonna go in there. sorry i mentioned it.
as for the club,i reckon itll be all right as they will be desperate for people to go in these days.
the aclet will be big enough for a load to go in, carlsbergs £2.50 or so and beers cheaper as well.
our darts teams got a meeting in there as its where i play, i could ask if the can put an offer on.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Ive said it before and il say it again. If people want a drink prior to the match it would be a better idea to drink in town than settle for The March Hare / Tindale Crossing / Tindale WMC etc...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

willphil

Post by willphil » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:11 pm

The Station or Hogans then a taxi !

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:02 pm

willphil wrote:The Station or Hogans then a taxi !
I'd stay well clear of Hogans personally!

The Station, Merry Monk (£1.80 a pint ;) ), Wetherspoons would be my choice.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:08 pm

4 pack from tesco smuggled onto the terrace, you can sup on the terraces at this level right? ;)

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Hilly wrote:

The Station, Merry Monk (£1.80 a pint ;) ), Wetherspoons would be my choice.
I've tried many a time to avoid Hogans but normally ended up in there.... its actually one of the few plus points of leaving the town for football.

DL_Fourteen

Post by DL_Fourteen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Hogan's isn't half as bad as it used to be, but there are better pubs, and I'm told its not as cheap as it used to be either!

I will be drinking in the Green Tree or possibly The Grand (£2 a pint is VERY tempting!), and then the Aclet before the game to break the walk down. Or if the weather looks crap, might be a taxi and miss the Aclet out...

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:24 pm

You have more faith in Hogans than me, Ive heard some proper horror stories not just over the years but in the last 6 months.

Il be drinking in The Merry Monk personally, like I say £1.80 a pint in a nice, warm friendly atmosphere will do me nicely.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The Bishop
Team Supported: Bishop

Post by The Bishop » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:33 am

DL_Fourteen wrote:Hogan's isn't half as bad as it used to be, but there are better pubs, and I'm told its not as cheap as it used to be either!

I will be drinking in the Green Tree or possibly The Grand (£2 a pint is VERY tempting!), and then the Aclet before the game to break the walk down. Or if the weather looks crap, might be a taxi and miss the Aclet out...
I agree DL14, The Green Tree is a very good pub, I have posted on here before mentioning the landlord and landlady will welcome Darlo fans with open arms. Try it you may like it, is the best I can say. (Other pubs are available in Bishop)

PS I'm not on commission. Honest :shh:

QuakerRCS
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by QuakerRCS » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:26 am

Might give that a try then - if we're welcome and it is the first pub en-route from the station to the ground, The Green Tree it is ! :thumbup:

cjames

Post by cjames » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:42 am

I live in Bishop and tend to avoid 'Hogans' although it is much better now. If travelling by train I would recommend The Cumberland, The Station and the Green Tree (there is also the Kings head) all situated close to the station, south of the town centre. A slight detour and there is the Grand Hotel (real ale pub). On route from the station there is also th RAF club, Cockton Hill Workingmens Club, The Aclet (now under new management and much improved). Then at Tindale there are the two eating pubs already mentioned (not really suitable) and Tindale Club.
Recommended pubs in the town (taxi or bus needed) are Wetherspoons (real ale), The Bay Horse (real ale), The Merry Monk and Tut n Shive (real ale).
Anyway, really looking forward to this game, got good friends supporting both sides and think it will be a close affair.

dazzoo

Post by dazzoo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:15 pm

i live in bishop and would say that Cockton Hill club would be your best bet for nice relaxing few before kick off, only 10 mins from train station and the OK service bus stops right outside, £2.20 pint, also buses stop over the road that will drop you 5 mins walk from ground

willphil

Post by willphil » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:26 pm

Hilly wrote:

Nobody would be intimidated in Hogans, its the same type of crowd you get in Darlo's Hogans, The Station is probably the place to avoid for provocation on a Sat lunchtime............... Hilly ya cannot of been to many away games around the country if you think Hogans is bad lol.... try West Bromwich, Leeds,, Villa, Everton, Tranmere, Bolton in the good old days lol DTID

Delirius

Post by Delirius » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:22 am

Take it from someone with a little local knowledge and who witnessed the pathetic attempts of the staff to deal with three slightly inebriated FC United fans the other week, you're better off going elsewhere unless you want to see some staff, especially the assistant manager, clearly way out of their depth.

For those considering risking the food option, I'd find somewhere else for that too. My experience is that the food was poor and the service abysmal. The follow up attempt at customer service was pathetic.

The March Hare really doesn't have a lot going for it from my experience.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:33 am

willphil wrote:
Hilly wrote:

Nobody would be intimidated in Hogans, its the same type of crowd you get in Darlo's Hogans, The Station is probably the place to avoid for provocation on a Sat lunchtime............... Hilly ya cannot of been to many away games around the country if you think Hogans is bad lol.... try West Bromwich, Leeds,, Villa, Everton, Tranmere, Bolton in the good old days lol DTID
Given that I heard of a friends girlfriend being punched in the face (by a bloke nonetheless) outside of Hogans a month or two ago, I think you'll understand why I try to avoid the place if possible.