A great scheme by DFC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

D_F_C
Team Supported: Darlington

A great scheme by DFC

Post by D_F_C » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:00 pm

http://www.darlington1883.co.uk/?p=1492

Just shows that a small group of businessmen and just fans can come up with better and more meaningful projects than we've previously had.

I know we had bits of pieces but they are actively seeking the support of youngsters around the town

lo36789

Re: A great scheme by DFC

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:01 pm

Absolutely brilliant. First rate by all involved.

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:06 pm

Fantastic.
Do we know what schools have signed up?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Christophano wrote:Fantastic.
Do we know what schools have signed up?
Every home game is covered from what I heard and covering Darlington mainly by all accounts. Exactly what we should be doing, I like the fact that the education piece is in there as well.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:24 pm

I think it's superb. Exactly what football clubs should be about.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Hats off to the Echo for getting involved too.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Lot of this driven forward by David Mills who works with Martin's academy along with Ian Wilkinson. I was blown away when I met up with David some weeks ago and saw what was planned. It's what the club has been crying out for for years and it's the future of this club.

It's not just Darlington schools but also Bishop Auckland and other surrounding areas.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 pm

divas wrote:Lot of this driven forward by David Mills who works with Martin's academy along with Ian Wilkinson. I was blown away when I met up with David some weeks ago and saw what was planned. It's what the club has been crying out for for years and it's the future of this club.

It's not just Darlington schools but also Bishop Auckland and other surrounding areas.
Unsung heroes

littlecar

Post by littlecar » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:52 am

Hats off to everyone involved with this. The previous club faced criticism for not getting out there to schools and the community & it's fantastic to see that the new club are on the ball.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Neil_Heaneys_Pace

A great scheme by DFC

Post by Neil_Heaneys_Pace » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:20 am

Breathe of fresh air, finally

tezza

Post by tezza » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:12 am

Fantastic, who ever developed the idea of aligning it with schools, rather than booking by individuals needs applauding. This will engender interest amongst the kids and to the parents.
Needs to be monitored and developed, special packages, family, father and son, birthday etc.
What is the school schedule ? who first, what is the cost? anyone know where more info available

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:15 am

Great idea but if we are inviting along a school full of children, isn't it going to put a bit of a strain on the capacity?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:50 am

A good point mr q but those school kids are potential Darlo fans of the future and worth it in my book. I wouldnt think we will be talking the whole of the schools anyway.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:58 am

It's not a school full. A selection of children will be invited - don't have exact numbers to hand but don't think it's more than 20 or so.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:30 am

QuakerPete wrote:
divas wrote:It's not just Darlington schools but also Bishop Auckland and other surrounding areas.
Unsung heroes
I sense we should stick with Darlington schools as it extends the 'community concept' a little too far.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:38 am

princes town wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:
divas wrote:It's not just Darlington schools but also Bishop Auckland and other surrounding areas.
Unsung heroes
I sense we should stick with Darlington schools as it extends the 'community concept' a little too far.
Why? It's well known that a high proportion of fans come from the surrounding areas of Darlington e.g. Aycliffe, Bishop etc... so surely going into these areas can only help?

divas

Post by divas » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:39 am

Also given the fact we're actually playing in Bishop AND Martin's academy runs at King James in Bishop it would be a bit harsh to limit it to Darlington schools.

princes town

Post by princes town » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:02 am

I think it could be construed as trying to invade Bishop's turf. The problem is you are right there are many Darlington fans in the neighbouring towns but surely there is enough scope with Darlington schools. At any rate it needs to be handled sensitively. I know Bishop are pushing in the same direction with their St Mary's schools' links. Does this make sense?

Overall concept brilliant.

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:12 am

princes town wrote:I think it could be construed as trying to invade Bishop's turf. The problem is you are right there are many Darlington fans in the neighbouring towns but surely there is enough scope with Darlington schools. At any rate it needs to be handled sensitively. I know Bishop are pushing in the same direction with their St Mary's schools' links. Does this make sense?

I don't buy that. For many years the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland and Boro have all done similar schemes in and around Darlington. Us going into our surrounding areas is no different.

princes town

Post by princes town » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:30 am

Hilly wrote:
princes town wrote:I think it could be construed as trying to invade Bishop's turf. The problem is you are right there are many Darlington fans in the neighbouring towns but surely there is enough scope with Darlington schools. At any rate it needs to be handled sensitively. I know Bishop are pushing in the same direction with their St Mary's schools' links. Does this make sense?

I don't buy that. For many years the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland and Boro have all done similar schemes in and around Darlington. Us going into our surrounding areas is no different.
Good analogy and very true. Fair enough. I guess Bishop can always reciprocate with our schools. Main thing for me is that kids are engaging with their local clubs rather than travelling across the Pennines or up the A1.

JazzyM

Post by JazzyM » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:22 pm

Anyone have a list of which schools on which dates?

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:27 pm

Why not try to encroach into smoggie territory. Especially the yarm and eaglescliffe areas.

Would be sweet revenge when buses go past a certain house!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!