What gets me is this

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

What gets me is this

Post by Quakerz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 am

How come all of the little semi pro rugby and cricket teams in Darlo all own land worth substantial money, and Darlington FC, the biggest sporting institution in town by miles has, and always has had (apart from the Arena until GH stole it), nowt?

It's just ridiculous really.

Imagine if we did go back to the Arena to groundshare with Mowden Park? We'd be the minor partner and nothing more than tenant to a tiny organisation (no disrespect to them, but compared to us they are)?

It'll be interesting to see what help the council give Mowden Park too, I see there's been a lot of discussions.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

divas

Re: What gets me is this

Post by divas » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:20 am

All stems back to the early 20th centuary when we didn't have the cash to buy the Feethams ground and the cricket club did.

The thing is, even if we did own Feethams it would have been stolen from us anyway. It probably would have made us more attractive to speculators and the Pedan/Brearly etc would have ended up flogging it for housing, building an out of town stadium that they'd have kept ownership of for themselves and pocketed any leftover profit. The only difference would be that they may have built a smaller ground which we could have rented.

The best option would have been if Feethams had been council owned.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:23 am

I suspose this is the legacy of constant Chairman massaging their ego's at our expense and not thinking of the actual club, nice thing is now this will not happen again and when we eventually get a ground it will be ours or a share of anyhow.

Dave_from_London

Post by Dave_from_London » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:12 am

Its all complete bollox im afraid! The greedy chairman wanna make even more money! Thank God our club is now owned by the fans. Onwards and upwards....................

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:03 am

divas wrote:All stems back to the early 20th centuary when we didn't have the cash to buy the Feethams ground and the cricket club did.

The thing is, even if we did own Feethams it would have been stolen from us anyway. It probably would have made us more attractive to speculators and the Pedan/Brearly etc would have ended up flogging it for housing, building an out of town stadium that they'd have kept ownership of for themselves and pocketed any leftover profit. The only difference would be that they may have built a smaller ground which we could have rented.

The best option would have been if Feethams had been council owned.
Probably the case that a lot of clubs survive because they can secure their debts against the land they own. Somebody mentioned that even MP were running a loss. It woudl be intersting to know whether the football club ever contemplated owning or buying a ground.

carver30

Post by carver30 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:13 am

Th big problem is that we dont own land or a stadium. The only way the club can move forward is more people joining the CIC which gives us more weight both politically and financially in driving the club forward.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:14 am

Yeah I mentioned it on another thread. A lot of clubs have had the cushion of prime town centre grounds which can be sold at a premium and the money be used to build a new out of town stadium and then pay off debts. The next step is that clubs will have to sell off stadiums and lease back. After that theyre in our position.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:46 am

I think that because, as you put it, we are the towns biggest sporting institution, we've clearly been a visible target for people who want to make a quick buck.

Your Pedan's, Singh's, Houghton's etc probably wouldn't be bothered about ripping off the cricket club or mowden park because they wouldn't see it being worthwhile.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

liddle_4_ever
Team Supported: Darlo

Post by liddle_4_ever » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:07 pm

This is why we must fight the cricket club and the “decision” that Feethams can be sold netting us nothing.
Now is not the time to cry
Now’s the time to find out why
I think you’re the same as me
We’ll see things they’ll never see
Darlo’s going to live forever!

divas

Post by divas » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:41 pm

It's legally theirs so we're entitled to nothing from the sale.

Whether or not they're allowed to sell for housing is another matter.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:06 pm

I don't believe that the cricket club have the total right to the feethams site. it has been stated on many ocassions that the whole of feethams was left to and for sporting activites in the town, that should be the beginning and end of it.how ever certain people in advantaged postions took it upon themselfs to render the original trust null and void,
thus allowing them to make a trust document to suit their needs only, names of who most of the people know that need to know.disgraceful and downright underhand.

dfc1883

What gets me is this

Post by dfc1883 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:56 am

Are the cricket club still struggling financially?
I wonder how much it would cost to buy the cricket club, thus inheriting their land?

divas

Post by divas » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:26 pm

They won't be once Esh start building. Word is entrance will past the cricket pitch - guess they're desperate