Are we classed as an "Amateur" Team?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DTID
Team Supported: Darlington

Are we classed as an "Amateur" Team?

Post by DTID » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Since our demise from professional football, now we are a Northern League side as a "New Club" are we now classed as "Amateur"? This is relevant, I promise.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Bogratsteve

Re: Are we classed as an

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:51 pm

total guess here but if the players and Management receive wages as opposed to expenses then we are a part time pro team, sure someone in the "know" will be along to confirm or give the right answer

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:53 pm

DTID wrote:Since our demise from professional football, now we are a Northern League side as a "New Club" are we now classed as "Amateur"? This is relevant, I promise.

I would say Semi -Pro rather than Amateur

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:55 pm

A semi-professional athlete is one who is paid to play and thus is not an amateur, but for whom sport is not a full-time occupation, generally because the level of pay is too low to make a reasonable living based solely upon that source, thus making the athlete not a full professional athlete.

There are many semi-professional football teams at non-League level. The bottom division of The Football League (the fourth tier of the English football league system) has traditionally been the cut-off between professional ("full-time") and semi-professional ("part-time") in English football. However, many teams in the top non-League competition, the Conference National have become "full-time" in an effort to achieve League status.

taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-professional

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:18 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:A semi-professional athlete is one who is paid to play and thus is not an amateur, but for whom sport is not a full-time occupation, generally because the level of pay is too low to make a reasonable living based solely upon that source, thus making the athlete not a full professional athlete.

There are many semi-professional football teams at non-League level. The bottom division of The Football League (the fourth tier of the English football league system) has traditionally been the cut-off between professional ("full-time") and semi-professional ("part-time") in English football. However, many teams in the top non-League competition, the Conference National have become "full-time" in an effort to achieve League status.

taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-professional
Isn't the Conference nearly all professional these days, given the amount of League Clubs being relegated lately

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:26 pm

Reckon so, this is probs a bit out dated, can't think of any semi-pro teams

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:45 pm

We are semi-pro.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:52 pm

DTID wrote:Since our demise from professional football, now we are a Northern League side as a "New Club" are we now classed as "Amateur"? This is relevant, I promise.

Just for the record, we are not a "New Club", whatever people may say.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Dave_from_London

Post by Dave_from_London » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Really the Conference should be the cut off between full time and part time even though there maybe a few teams in the Conference that are part time that have just gone up. Maybe Hyde and Nuneaton???

Will Smith

Post by Will Smith » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:42 am

Southport, Hyde, Nuneaton, Dartford and Woking are all part time. Maybe Alfreton too?

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:19 pm

So what was the relevance of the original question?

Christophano

Re: Are we classed as an "Amateur" Team?

Post by Christophano » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:51 pm

joejaques wrote:So what was the relevance of the original question?
This.

Neil G Johnson

Post by Neil G Johnson » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Corinthian Casuals are probably the only amateur club, as contrary to Mike Amos, the clubs above the Wearside League are paying most players.

Case in Point : The recent twin promotions of the RA, was blighted by most players moving on for bigger match day "expense" fees.

Smaller clubs qualify for the FA Vase competion (ex Amateur Cup) and larger clubs the FA Trophy. I suppose there's some out-moded / self inflicted Durham FA criteria, that will prevent Darlo from competing in the Trophy next season. Maybe Durham FA like the glory of teams bringing back Vases, rather than being able to compete with the bigger boys.

Has there been any glimmer of congratulations from the FA about Darlo's performances so far, with what was a scratch team made up primarily of players from this level?