Darlington vs South Shields ~ Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington vs South Shields ~ Match Thread

Post by Quakerz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:53 pm

northernlad73 wrote:You might want to read that again Hilly.

You want to hope Spenny don't apply for promotion again

As in continue to NOT apply for promotion.

:silent:
We'll have to deal with whatever happens.

Obviously, it's much better for us if you don't apply for promotion.

If you do apply for promotion, then we're just going to have to win the league aren't we?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

mensamoo

Post by mensamoo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:53 pm

That was an woeful performance by Darlington. We have to rely on another lucky gift at the end and the rose coloured specs are back on. We were second best in the second half. Nobody to get possession in midfield, a hole the size of the channel tunnel in our wall. They must have thought it was Christmas. Tacticly inept. Gray has to get a new strategy that relies on overpowering teams without relying on fate. This league is Spennymoor's for the taking.
let's get a new FA. This one's broken.

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:55 pm

northernlad73 wrote:I wasn't looking for any bites Ash. Normally I would be the match, however I'm currently recovering from a pulmonary embolism and have been advised not to travel.

All I did was update the score, then the comments started from your own fans.
In that case I wish you a speedy recovery, so we don't have to put up with any more Spenny updates on Uncovered. That shites for NLZ ;)

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Fuck off you moany c***. No team plays every game well. Over a course of a season wins will be ground out. So stop fucking flapping.
Craig Liddle is God!!

northernlad73
Team Supported: Spennymoor Town FC

Post by northernlad73 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks Ash. I don't go on NLZ because its full of idiots :mrgreen:
Unbelievable Jeff!!

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:00 pm

northernlad73 wrote:Thanks Ash. I don't go on NLZ because its full of idiots :mrgreen:
What the hell are you doing on here then :o

Most of our idiots were thrown out of the village for being overly inbred

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Northern Lad, why did Spenny not apply for promotion the last few years?

And is this season likely to be any different I.e. what will have to have changed since last year for them to want to go up?

northernlad73

Post by northernlad73 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:03 pm

I joined this site back in 2010 before you were in the NL. I'm just here as a vidi printer (for the Spenny score) ;)
Unbelievable Jeff!!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:05 pm

mensamoo wrote:That was an woeful performance by Darlington. We have to rely on another lucky gift at the end and the rose coloured specs are back on. We were second best in the second half. Nobody to get possession in midfield, a hole the size of the channel tunnel in our wall. They must have thought it was Christmas. Tacticly inept. Gray has to get a new strategy that relies on overpowering teams without relying on fate. This league is Spennymoor's for the taking.
W13 D0 L1 F47 A 13 PTS 39 GD+34

Yeah we're pish aren't we, you fucking faggot.

Jog on man.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

mensamoo

Post by mensamoo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:09 pm

nice specs.
let's get a new FA. This one's broken.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:09 pm

1st half I thought we played some very good football, without really creating anything. 2nd half was like watching a completely different team. Poor passing, poor closing down, poor mistake by Norton (who made a stunning save not long after.....kind of sums him up), and we were lucky not to go 2-1 down (couldn't see anything wrong with their disallowed goal personally). Good finish by Johnson though got us the three points. Hopefully we will play a bit better on Saturday. Thought South Shields made a good game of it-they will be disappointed not have got something. Was a competitive game-either team could've won it at the end.

Surprised by the Spennymoor score. Thought it would be a close game. Shame, as it would've been nice to see them drop points! We will be doing very very well to finish ahead of Spennymoor, but 2nd might be good enough anyway.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:12 pm

On the Norton incident, it was a mistake. He ran to the edge of the box and was going to roll it out but lost control of the ball just before releasing it and hung on to it rather than drop it at the feet of an attacker. And it was definately outside the box.
Now the incident in the first half however, was a spectator as the ball went soaring goalwards over his head, what if Brown's clearance had come back into play? Norton certainly wasn't going to be first to it.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

northernlad73

Post by northernlad73 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:13 pm

Vodka, When Brad Groves took over Spenny he came with a 5 year plan. We are in year 4 of that plan. He want's to get the foundations and infastructure right within the club before we move up the leagues (hopefully). Plans have been submitted for a new club house, new floodlights, and two new covered stands to be built thus giving us 4 covered sides and conference level lights. He wouldn't be doing this if we were going to stay in the NL forever. We are also developing our academy with various youth sides to try and make us more of a community club.
As a club we have only been going for 7 years since the demise of Spennymoor United and Evenwood Town.
On a personal note, I'm not fussed about promotion up the pyramid. Been there, done that went bust! I like the idea of being able to go to midweek away games in the NL. Move up to EVO and above, no chance due to the time I get in from work.

Sorry for the long winded post but you did ask ;)
Unbelievable Jeff!!

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:13 pm

mensamoo wrote:That was an woeful performance by Darlington. We have to rely on another lucky gift at the end and the rose coloured specs are back on. We were second best in the second half. Nobody to get possession in midfield, a hole the size of the channel tunnel in our wall. They must have thought it was Christmas. Tacticly inept. Gray has to get a new strategy that relies on overpowering teams without relying on fate. This league is Spennymoor's for the taking.
4 days after we win 7-1 away from home and you deem this an acceptable reaction to a game we didn't win well enough!? I'd recommend examining the difference between Barcelona and La Liga in Spain (which seems to be the sort of football you turned up expecting to see us play) and Northern League Division 1, and have another go at analysing the team and how we're likely to fare in the league overall.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:16 pm

Northernlad - yes or no, will Spenny apply for promotion?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

northernlad73

Post by northernlad73 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:20 pm

My opinion, I don't think we will apply this season. I would also like to add that I don't run or own the club so who knows? 8-)
Unbelievable Jeff!!

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:23 pm

This is a mad season. We have 13 wins from 14 league games and I am disappointed and feeling that we are not the best team in the league because of f**king Spennymoor. Nothing personal you understand but you lot are really annoying me know.

northernlad73

Post by northernlad73 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:27 pm

I'm surprised at our start to be honest. Long may it continue!!
Unbelievable Jeff!!

divas

Post by divas » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:29 pm

And Spenny will have been annoyed by our last gasp winner we probably didn't deserve. Let us worry about ourselves and Spenny will slip up eventually even though at the moment it may not seem like it

Neil_Heaneys_Pace

Post by Neil_Heaneys_Pace » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:30 pm

Sounds like positive momentum carried us over the line to night. Playing badly and still winning........much better then losing.

northernlad73

Post by northernlad73 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:33 pm

Not really annoyed Divas. If we win our 3 games in hand then we are top. If we both then win all our games until the end of the season then we win the league. We only need to not get beat by Darlo in the two games. Long way to go....... :crazy:
Unbelievable Jeff!!

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:47 pm

First 20 minutes I thought we were bang on. Loads of possession, good few chances, only a matter of time. I thought the mistake that led to Brown's acrobatic clearance gave shields a big lift. Almost as if they thought that since they'd hung on sofas and still nearly went ahead then there might be something in it for them. Rest of the first half was fine. At half time I thought we were well worth the lead and could really have been more.

Second half was a bit of a nothing really. I thought we really struggled with any long ball in to the corners but wasn't unduly concerned until the gift of a goal. Again, our heads went down after the mistake and after that South Shields turned the screws and should really have gone on to win it.

But - up pops Stevie J to get on the end of a short nudge back to the keeper to win us the game. I can't imagine how nervous the back four must be.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:58 pm

divas wrote:And Spenny will have been annoyed by our last gasp winner we probably didn't deserve. Let us worry about ourselves and Spenny will slip up eventually even though at the moment it may not seem like it
Exactly, I don't think too many Spenny fans had us down as credible challengers to them this season. All the talk was of your West Aucklands, your Dunstons, your Sunderland RCAs, or maybe they were just trolling us.

Anyway, put yourself in the shoes of a Spenny supporter - you've had 3 great seasons, you've signed 6/7 big players in pre season to improve you even more, you've won 11 straight matches including two 6-0 away wins and conceded just two goals...

And you're six points off top. That'd irritate me a little bit.

longlivedarlo

Post by longlivedarlo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:20 pm

what where the subs tonight, who come off and replaced by who
I think half the managers in the northern league could have done what gray has done with the budget he has had, don't think anyone should get carried away, the next 3 years will prove him as a manager not this northern league season. I'm as happy as anyone that darlo are heading in the right direction.

Quakerz Post subject: Re: MARTIN GRAYPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:36 pm
You absolute testicle.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:04 am

Excellent, another 3 points. Just what I wanted to see :) Well done lads :thumbup:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:08 am

I just read about Leon Scott's goal, when did the boy learn to shoot from outside the area!?

The Darlo Goose was more at risk than anyone when I saw him shooting from distance earlier in the season - he always looked like he had power in his left peg but sounds like he has found some direction in recent weeks!

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:13 am

lo36789 wrote:I just read about Leon Scott's goal, when did the boy learn to shoot from outside the area!?

The Darlo Goose was more at risk than anyone when I saw him shooting from distance earlier in the season - he always looked like he had power in his left peg but sounds like he has found some direction in recent weeks!
Wouldn't worry about the pace on this one - it took a deflection and limped into the net.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:15 am

longlivedarlo wrote:what where the subs tonight, who come off and replaced by who
Emms, Nicholls (it might of been Thompson) and Amar came off I think
And Reay, Johnson and Clough replaced them.
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

wellindarlo

Post by wellindarlo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:50 am

it was Nichollls who came off, Thomson dropped into his role.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:26 am

For me Purewal needs a rest. I'd start Reay or SJ on Saturday.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.