How big is this Spenny game now....

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ash_Quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: How big is this Spenny game now....

Post by Ash_Quaker » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:57 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:Right. Last post from me on this as trying to sort out a 15 month old boy whilst posting on an iPhone = posts which don't make sense.

Meant new media - as in Internet, twitter etc - people simply come over far more different than they did 15 yrs ago on the web. I think it's more to the point, cutting, direct etc.

My only worry with some of it is that we lose 100 posters on here leading to 1 fan not supporting Darlo any more. In the current situation we're in we need all the fans and finance we can get
So now, on top of assumptions about why there weren't many responses to this thread (based on nothing but your own opinion), you're also assuming that people might stop supporting us because of erm... what were you complaining about again? Bickering? Seriously, I'm not even sure what it is you're moaning about.

If anyone stops supporting Darlington because of a bit of "bickering" on here then they were never a proper supporter in the first place.

What next? Bickering on here is the cause of AIDS? World hunger? Jimmy Saville?
I find this very offensive, first the bad jokes thread now this. Please delete this Charlie, it's what you do best.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Back on topic, I think this game will be the defining moment of our season. We'll either shatter the spendy myth or be playing catch up.

I think we'll shatter the myth.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:Back on topic, I think this game will be the defining moment of our season. We'll either shatter the spendy myth or be playing catch up.

You going for 13-0?

charlie

Post by charlie » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Ash_Quaker wrote:
DarloOnTheUp wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:Right. Last post from me on this as trying to sort out a 15 month old boy whilst posting on an iPhone = posts which don't make sense.

Meant new media - as in Internet, twitter etc - people simply come over far more different than they did 15 yrs ago on the web. I think it's more to the point, cutting, direct etc.

My only worry with some of it is that we lose 100 posters on here leading to 1 fan not supporting Darlo any more. In the current situation we're in we need all the fans and finance we can get
So now, on top of assumptions about why there weren't many responses to this thread (based on nothing but your own opinion), you're also assuming that people might stop supporting us because of erm... what were you complaining about again? Bickering? Seriously, I'm not even sure what it is you're moaning about.

If anyone stops supporting Darlington because of a bit of "bickering" on here then they were never a proper supporter in the first place.

What next? Bickering on here is the cause of AIDS? World hunger? Jimmy Saville?
I find this very offensive, first the bad jokes thread now this. Please delete this Charlie, it's what you do best.

If you have a problem with a post on the board, use the report button where one of the moderators will take a look!

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
Fatty eats roadkill wrote:Back on topic, I think this game will be the defining moment of our season. We'll either shatter the spendy myth or be playing catch up.

You going for 13-0?

Too right I am!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

sada8022

Post by sada8022 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:56 am

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Quakerz wrote:So anyway, do we not have any supporters left these days? Took a maximum of 580 to Durham today for an easy away trip, the board is dead as a dead thing - this thread would already be 3 pages long a couple of years ago, and now...

Fatty's subsequent post pretty much answers your question Quakerz. Anyone offering an opinion which differs from a certain few is subject to general abuse. Suspect most can take the abuse but choose to ignore it and move on. Some sadly move on from the club altogether.

I so much agree with this, the other reason is that people dont have the money any more to go to away games specialy as we are the most expensive home games.
If we get beat by spenny the crowd will drop to less than a 1000.

Personally i think the board have the pricing all wrong , but thats my opinion and yes i will be slated for that

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:00 am

LOL.

That is all.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:01 am

Not slating you but

lower prices = less competitive team and no chance of promotion and also longer to get back to Darlo

I think the pricing decision was a very difficult one to pitch, they rightly looked at what level of wages etc we needed and worked it back, a year ago I was watching a shower of shite for a tenner more and we were getting beat week in week out, for £8 i can watch attacking winning football, perfectly happy with the pricing

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:09 am

If a person wants to pay £5/6 to watch Darlo, then they must want to watch Northern League football for ever? Yes? No?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Orvil
Team Supported: Spennymoor

Post by Orvil » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:50 am

Quakerz wrote:If a person wants to pay £5/6 to watch Darlo, then they must want to watch Northern League football for ever? Yes? No?
Not really, no. Now i know you need to get back to Darlington, hence the little bit extra but look at us. We pay £6 and have a cracking set up. I think you could have set the price at that this season, still competed and then put the price up for when you got promoted. Each to their own though really.

Twintowers

Post by Twintowers » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:54 am

Its £8 Sada.£8 to watch an attack minded team that have scored over 70 goals this season,won 20 games and are a joy to watch(most weeks)!.You get to watch it in a nice little ground,not the biggest fridge North of Antarctica and as Q said,we have a future to fund.Get a grip man.

Twintowers

Post by Twintowers » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:58 am

We dont have the luxury of a supporter with deep pockets Orvill mate,we have to do this ourselves.

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Orvil wrote:
Quakerz wrote:If a person wants to pay £5/6 to watch Darlo, then they must want to watch Northern League football for ever? Yes? No?
Not really, no. Now i know you need to get back to Darlington, hence the little bit extra but look at us. We pay £6 and have a cracking set up. I think you could have set the price at that this season, still competed and then put the price up for when you got promoted. Each to their own though really.
If you didn't have a benefactor could you sustain your current squad? Basically are Spenny self sufficient?

Orvil

Post by Orvil » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Twintowers wrote:We dont have the luxury of a supporter with deep pockets Orvill mate,we have to do this ourselves.
Mikedfc wrote:
Orvil wrote:
If you didn't have a benefactor could you sustain your current squad? Basically are Spenny self sufficient?
We are now, however I'm the first to admit that had Brad Groves not stepped in when he did, we would have no club at all. Brad and the team have done a fantastic amount of work in clearing the debt of the previous regimes making us debt free, rebuilding shattered relationships with local businesses and the council and now creating a strong sponsorship base.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Orvil wrote:
Not really, no. Now i know you need to get back to Darlington, hence the little bit extra but look at us. We pay £6 and have a cracking set up.
You do have a cracking set up and 25 contracted players. You also have a Brad Groves, one of which we do not possess.

We have no benefactor, if we want to compete with the several sides that do, then we need our gates of 1,300 paying £8
I think you could have set the price at that this season, still competed and then put the price up for when you got promoted. Each to their own though really.
I don't think we would have competed, or made enough to set much aside at those prices.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Orvil wrote:
Twintowers wrote:We dont have the luxury of a supporter with deep pockets Orvill mate,we have to do this ourselves.
Mikedfc wrote:
Orvil wrote:
We are now, however I'm the first to admit that had Brad Groves not stepped in when he did, we would have no club at all. Brad and the team have done a fantastic amount of work in clearing the debt of the previous regimes making us debt free, rebuilding shattered relationships with local businesses and the council and now creating a strong sponsorship base.
Orvil I'm not being funny but do you have in your possession accounts showing that income matches expenditure and where that income comes from.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Mikedfc wrote:
Orvil wrote:
They like to think they are, I strongly doubt it.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Orvil wrote:
Mikedfc wrote:
Orvil wrote:
Not convinced that your Chairman isn't putting a reasonable volume of cash/sponsorship that without him you wouldn't have. We also started the season with about 200k of debt and no stadium, £8 was a fair price. If we dropped to £6 yes the odd person extra would come along now and again but we would not get the extra volume of people each game to make up for the reduction in revenue.

The hardcore who want to support Darlo most weeks would not stop going for the sake of £2.

sada8022

Post by sada8022 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:19 pm

If £8 is needed for competative team in the lowest leauge you can get what is the pricing going to be when we go up the leagues. And its £10.00 if you want to sit and not stand on the muddy bank

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:24 pm

sada8022 wrote:If £8 is needed for competative team in the lowest leauge you can get what is the pricing going to be when we go up the leagues. And its £10.00 if you want to sit and not stand on the muddy bank
Did you not see the bit where the extra money is going towards taking us home?

In addition we had no money to buy all the kit we needed, the money had to come from somewhere.

If your moaning over £8 or £10 then best stop going to matches as it will only get more money as we climb the leagues, for the few fans it has put off the benefits far out weigh it, christ we paid £18 last season to watch us lose.

BTW no need to stand on the muddy bank at all

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:27 pm

sada8022 wrote:If £8 is needed for competative team in the lowest leauge you can get what is the pricing going to be when we go up the leagues. And its £10.00 if you want to sit and not stand on the muddy bank
It is when you want a competitive team, pay back 200k and start saving some money towards a move back to Darlo.

Muddy Bank is not classed as standing area, plenty of space in the Tin Shed each game.

Orvil

Post by Orvil » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:27 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Orvil wrote:
Mikedfc wrote:
Orvil wrote:
Orvil I'm not being funny but do you have in your possession accounts showing that income matches expenditure and where that income comes from.
No, but I do trust our chairman who says we are now self sufficient. As I said, theres no doubt that without him we would not be in the situation we are in now but after the things we have been through, not too dissimilar to yourselves (only on a smaller scale) we are enjoying every moment of our success whilst it lasts!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Orvil wrote:No, but I do trust our chairman who says we are now self sufficient. As I said, theres no doubt that without him we would not be in the situation we are in now but after the things we have been through, not too dissimilar to yourselves (only on a smaller scale) we are enjoying every moment of our success whilst it lasts!
By the sounds of it you have a great Chairman and good luck to you but to have the squad and Building developments you have then I would suggest the Chairman is putting in money or your sponsors are paying well over the odds for some reason.

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:33 pm

If were winning people will come aslong as the pricing structure is reasonable. I think £8 is acceptable. Maybe a bit too cheap the goals were banging in!

Orvil

Post by Orvil » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:35 pm

IF you weren't doing as well as you are though, do you think people would be complaining about the price?

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Orvil wrote:IF you weren't doing as well as you are though, do you think people would be complaining about the price?
No, we payed a lot more over the last few years to lose so the hardcore will still come regardless

Mikedfc

Post by Mikedfc » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Orvil wrote:IF you weren't doing as well as you are though, do you think people would be complaining about the price?
Probably not no. We sold 780 season tickets before a ball was kicked.

Orvil

Post by Orvil » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:41 pm

Fair point mate.

Twintowers

Post by Twintowers » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:42 pm

You do seem to have the ideal scenario,a fan with money who actually cares about the club,not tossers with an eye for a quick quid.I really hope you do sustain it and do well(after this season)!!!.It would be nice to have a local derby as we climb the leagues.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Twintowers wrote:You do seem to have the ideal scenario,a fan with money who actually cares about the club,not tossers with an eye for a quick quid.I really hope you do sustain it and do well(after this season)!!!.It would be nice to have a local derby as we climb the leagues.
Can't argue with that. I would say I am envious of what Spenny have but not jealous. I would be nervous of having one man in charge of our club but this is due to the last few years and no reflection on Spenny's chairman who seems to be in it for the right reasons not just the land.