Camera for Highlights - A begging thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TFDM
Team Supported: Darlington

Camera for Highlights - A begging thread

Post by TFDM » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi everyone,

I've come with the hope of possibly nagging / bribing / coaxing some money from you all. As you know we've been filming as many games as we can during the course of the current season. Its something we want to continue for our home games and as many away games as is practical.

As many of you will already know I've been borrowing a camera from work. However due to a pending reshuffle in the department its debatable how much longer this can continue for. So, rather than be caught out in the coming weeks and months, we are attempting to raise funds to purchase our own camera. Earlier in the season the club secured the tripod so its now a case of getting the final piece of the puzzle - the camera.

We've currently been using a Sony Handycam HDR-XR155E which has been a very decent performer despite its size. Its currently about £360 on amazon so we are looking to raise £400 to secure the camera and a couple of extra batteries.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-HDR-XR155E ... 958&sr=8-1

If anyone would like to contribute to the fund towards it please let me know. Details on how to donate are below:

Paypal: If you want to send money via paypal you can drop the cash to kevin_luff_uk@yahoo.co.uk.
Bank Transfer: If you prefer to send some cash via bank transfer then drop me a PM here or an email at website@dfc1883.co.uk and I'll send you my details.

I'll keep this thread up to date with a running total of our progress.

Thanks

Kev

Running Total (as of 6.30pm 19/1/13):

£413.38
Last edited by TFDM on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 11 times in total.

divas

Re: Camera for Highlights - A begging thread

Post by divas » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:09 pm

As a recent exile the highlights are the only way i really get to see us on a regular basis these days, plus they are better than anything we've ever had, even when we had a paid service.

A massive well done and thank you for the time you've dedicated so far and there's a tenner here for you - i'll send it to your bank to cut out any paypal fees

Tori_Gill
Team Supported: DFC

Post by Tori_Gill » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:26 pm

A tenner form me on it's way too! - oh, will send to bank, can you email me them?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:34 pm

Put me down for a tenner too. The highlights have been a great service to everyone.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Yep £10 for me also Kev, if i paypal it as a gift there is no charge is there? either way pm the payment details you need mate

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:43 pm

PMs sent to

Loan_Star
Bogratsteve
darlotoon

and emails to

Tori_Gill
Divas

Cheers everyone.

liamsears

Post by liamsears » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:46 pm

And me please Kev. As a long-distance lurker it's the only way I see the action.

DTID

Post by DTID » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:46 pm

This is the exact reason you need you knock this "stadium fund" on the head. This is the reason why. The club need the funds NOW, not in 5 years time.

Can I suggest we enter everyone into a raffle type thing again where people have contributed £10? We could go for £480 and then it should pay for a signed shirt, signed ball and a mug or scarf for 3 prizes. Would the club be up for this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Last edited by DTID on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:47 pm

£20 from me when you email your bank details.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:51 pm

Put me down for a tenner.
Craig Liddle is God!!

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:00 pm

Ron and Darlo_Baron should have PMs now.

Sorry for the replies from me. Helps me know where I'm up to. Thanks to everyone who has donated so far.

JABWootton

Post by JABWootton » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:00 pm

Just sent you £10
Keep up the Good Work

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Cheers mate. Gratefully received.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:08 pm

DTID wrote:This is the exact reason you need you knock this "stadium fund" on the head. This is the reason why. The club need the funds NOW, not in 5 years time.

Can I suggest we enter everyone into a raffle type thing again where people have contributed £10? We could go for £480 and then it should pay for a signed shirt, signed ball and a mug or scarf for 3 prizes. Would the club be up for this?

Don't think there's a need to offer any prizes - free highlights should be enough for all those contributing.

pgowling

Post by pgowling » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:15 pm

Tenner from me - with living in the USA I do very much appreciate watching the highlights :)
Flying the flag for Darlo across the pond.

DTID

Post by DTID » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:17 pm

divas wrote:
DTID wrote:This is the exact reason you need you knock this "stadium fund" on the head. This is the reason why. The club need the funds NOW, not in 5 years time.

Don't think there's a need to offer any prizes - free highlights should be enough for all those contributing.
May bring in more donations that way. Any additional funds raised could go towards a DVD containing all highlights at the end of the season which could then be sold at the club shop.

If there are prizes up for grabs, it will entice more people to contribute. Particularly if promoted via the club's Facebook and Twitter accounts.

A DVD of the seasons highlights / ups and downs is another potential source of revenue for the club.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:21 pm

pgowling should have a PM now :)

DTID - Can assure you there won't be a season highlights DVD. I haven't been able to keep the footage this season after its been uploaded to youtube. Should I get my get my new mac sorted out in the summer I'll be setting it up so I can keep the goal clips for archiving purposes. Its kind of been a steep learning curve this season.

DTID

Post by DTID » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:22 pm

TFDM wrote:pgowling should have a PM now :)

DTID - Can assure you there won't be a season highlights DVD. I haven't been able to keep the footage this season after its been uploaded to youtube. Should I get my get my new mac sorted out in the summer I'll be setting it up so I can keep the goal clips for archiving purposes. Its kind of been a steep learning curve this season.
Its a shame that really. Unless there's a way to pull it off YouTube and keep the high resolution? How come the footage has been deleted after uploading it? Due to lack of memory? If so. Another thing the money raised could go towards is an external hard drive?

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:28 pm

DTID wrote:
TFDM wrote:pgowling should have a PM now :)

Its a shame that really. Unless there's a way to pull it off YouTube and keep the high resolution? How come the footage has been deleted after uploading it?

You can get it off youtube after uploading it but its not HD. I've had to delete it because I just don't have the hard drive space on my old macbook. The un-editted footage from the camera takes over half my hard drive space and I haven't got the capacity to store old footage and work with new stuff. I've promised myself a long overdue new computer in the summer and I'll have a proper workflow and extra drives in place to keep at least the goals / major incidents in proper HD for future use. Like I say this season, like a lot of things the club has done, we've had to kind of do things in a rush / learn as we go. The camera is the most important thing right now. Next season I'll have a better setup for myself - I need one anyway for other stuff I do.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:29 pm

DTID wrote:
divas wrote:

May bring in more donations that way. Any additional funds raised could go towards a DVD containing all highlights at the end of the season which could then be sold at the club shop.

If there are prizes up for grabs, it will entice more people to contribute. Particularly if promoted via the club's Facebook and Twitter accounts.

A DVD of the seasons highlights / ups and downs is another potential source of revenue for the club.

My take is if we can't raise £400 from the thousands who watch these highlights we may as well pack in if they are going to be that stingy. It would be less than a quid each.

The other option is to charge a subscription fee but I'd like to think those watching are charitable enough not to go down that route.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:44 pm

Go on then, why not
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

DTID

Post by DTID » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:08 pm

divas wrote:
DTID wrote:
divas wrote:

My take is if we can't raise £400 from the thousands who watch these highlights we may as well pack in if they are going to be that stingy. It would be less than a quid each.

The other option is to charge a subscription fee but I'd like to think those watching are charitable enough not to go down that route.
We could probably raise £400 without any issues. BUT like I say we would raise even more if there were prizes. By the looks of things, Kev also needs an external hard drive to do some highlights.

The prize thing too, although you clearly aren't keen on the idea would be giving something back to the same fans that dip into their pockets every tine the club need something. Its not like the club would be left out of pocket either as we would be buying the prizes direct from the club.....

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:51 pm

Is this too far/possible on YouTube but could official match day highlights be sponsored? Basically at the start have a sponsor edited in and then overlaid like the score?

Even if its not to get funds it's another revenue stream!

divas

Post by divas » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:01 pm

I've spoken to a few companies regarding that couple who were interested but nothing firm signed.

PaulMJohnson

Post by PaulMJohnson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:02 pm

TFDM wrote:You can get it off youtube after uploading it but its not HD. I've had to delete it because I just don't have the hard drive space on my old macbook. The un-editted footage from the camera takes over half my hard drive space and I haven't got the capacity to store old footage and work with new stuff. I've promised myself a long overdue new computer in the summer and I'll have a proper workflow and extra drives in place to keep at least the goals / major incidents in proper HD for future use. Like I say this season, like a lot of things the club has done, we've had to kind of do things in a rush / learn as we go. The camera is the most important thing right now. Next season I'll have a better setup for myself - I need one anyway for other stuff I do.
Just sent you some money. Just a thought, but if you work with the club and get them to buy you the camera, I would assume you'd be able to avoid paying VAT.

In other news, if you need an external hard drive, I've got a spare 1Tb drive kicking about that you can have, if you PM me an address to ship it to. You'll have to wait for it to come from the US, which normally takes a couple of weeks.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:04 pm

I'll donate my winnings from the race night (I don't mean net profit, I mean anything I pick-up after each race).

darlotoon

Post by darlotoon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Hope you win the tricast then :)

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks for everyone who has chipped in so far. Up to £120 so far. Hopefully everyone who has PM'd me should have a reply.

TDS

Post by TDS » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:37 pm

My point was not for a stadium fund, it was for a fund for anything the club may need. This is the exact reason we could do with a pile of cash sat waiting for issues to come up, as they inevitably will!

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Done.