The 12th Men

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DFCMatty
Team Supported: Darlington

The 12th Men

Post by DFCMatty » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:57 pm

I thought I'd do this and hope for the public of Darlington and the surrounding area to understand it.
Let me take you back to Wembley, almost 10,000 of us, amazing day. Let me take you back go the semi finals for the FA Trophy, over 2,000 fans we took away and that amazing turn around of 0-2 down to 3-2 up, the atmospheres. Barrow away last season, Fleetwood at home last season, York at home last season. So many games with high attendances that had top atmospheres and many of which made the twelfth man and helped improve the performance on the pitch.
Ebac Northern League Premier has certainly gave this club something to be proud of, results wise, attendance wise, but most importantly showing we are a stable fan owned club slowly making our way back to the football league. Every player at this club, absolutely loves it, and the fans are a massive part as to why.
If we can sell out away to Bishop Auckland with a 2,004 attendance and we can sell out away at Spennymoor with a 2,400 attendance then what's to say this can't be done for other games, never mind the importance.
The atmospheres and the attendances actually do help, a lot more than some people see it. It's not like it's even expensive. Rather than turning up to the odd game, turn up to all. If you haven't been to any games this season, come along and experience how different it is, yet how amazing and passionate it still is. Heritage Park holds 2,004 people, over 700 season ticket holders, so why not have people rushing to get tickets before they all go? I know our fan base is big enough to do so.
All I'm saying is put it out there, to family, friends, even random people you see, tell them to get along to a game. There aren't many left and after beating Spennymoor, every single game is an essential win as if that happens and Spennymoor lose just 2 games, and we take advantage we will be promoted, and with the fans behind the lads making that twelfth man that extra bit special, I believe we can do it. I know we can do it.
GET YOURSELVES ALONG TO GAMES. Atmospheres, friendliness, togetherness, banter, competivity, passion, everything applies at Darlo games, and if you haven't of don't go, I suggest you at least try it out! Lets get them few more tickets selling!

I was asked to put this on here and I agree with everything said! Would be nice to get some near full capacity crowds in for the remaining home games!

Quakerz

Re: The 12th Men

Post by Quakerz » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:10 pm

All sounds a bit desperate to me...

We only budgeted for crowds of 800, and nobody seems to be in a rush to leave Bishop. Well then, they'd better get used to the fact that we are not going to get as high a percentage of our fan base attending, we're lucky to average nearly 1,300 this season anyhow. This WILL drop next season, when the novelty has worn off.

We need to get back home by the end of next season at the absolute latest.

We are possibly only 18 months, yes 18 months away, from kicking off a meaningless season in the Evostik Premier...

The Arena, it makes sense if the price is right.

But yeah, for the rest of the season we need to drag extra people along kicking and screaming. Well we don't need to do we, seeing as though crowds are already well above budget...but near full houses are just nice anyway.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Quakerz wrote: We are possibly only 18 months, yes 18 months away, from kicking off a meaningless season in the Evostik Premier...
This is the bit that worries me, I dont think Id bother with games if there was no chance of promotion.

Its one thing knowing your team isnt good enough, as a fan you kind of always hope they will over achieve, its a completely different proposition kicking off a season knowing that you'll not be promoted regardless of where you finish.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:23 pm

Same.

Kicking off a meaningless season would be the death of me, well not literally. It's all hunky dory when you are playing a meaningful season or two, winning loads, and on the up, as we are now, but me must look at the bigger picture.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:57 pm

Before worrying about what might happen in 18 months time, it is crucial that we
gain promotion this year.Another year in this league and attendances will fall off dramatically. As for a meaningless season where we would be unable to be promoted, I don't for one minute believe that will be allowed to happen.Whether that means a move
back to the Arena or another ground share ,I have every confidence that the progress made these last 12 months will continue .The open and professional way the club is now being run will not allow for stagnation.
18 months is a long time in football ,and don't we know.

dan newell
Team Supported: Spennymoor

Post by dan newell » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:23 pm

Now forgive me if i overstep the mark here but with you being fan owned, whilst things are going well on the pitch everything is hunky dory but what happens IF things change, results don't go your way and performances drop? Who will take responsibility for that and make any decisions regarding the management team? Would that be soley down to the board or would everyone who has contributed financially have a say? Honest question and not looking for an arguement.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:26 pm

dan newell wrote:Now forgive me if i overstep the mark here but with you being fan owned, whilst things are going well on the pitch everything is hunky dory but what happens IF things change, results don't go your way and performances drop? Who will take responsibility for that and make any decisions regarding the management team? Would that be soley down to the board or would everyone who has contributed financially have a say? Honest question and not looking for an arguement.
It would be down to the board. In future the board will be elected by those who have made the financial contribution.

number_one

Post by number_one » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:28 pm

As I chipped in for Phil Hadland's wages I believe I have a significant say in things.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:11 pm

We have had plenty of meaningless seasons with no hope of promotion, so another wouldn't bother me. The main thing for me is that we still have a team to support after all the s*** we've been through. And a fan owned one, not at the whims of a egomaniacal chairman with ulterior motives.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:42 am

DFCMatty wrote:I thought I'd do this and hope for the public of Darlington and the surrounding area to understand it.
Let me take you back to Wembley, almost 10,000 of us, amazing day. Let me take you back go the semi finals for the FA Trophy, over 2,000 fans we took away and that amazing turn around of 0-2 down to 3-2 up, the atmospheres. Barrow away last season, Fleetwood at home last season, York at home last season. So many games with high attendances that had top atmospheres and many of which made the twelfth man and helped improve the performance on the pitch.
Ebac Northern League Premier has certainly gave this club something to be proud of, results wise, attendance wise, but most importantly showing we are a stable fan owned club slowly making our way back to the football league. Every player at this club, absolutely loves it, and the fans are a massive part as to why.
If we can sell out away to Bishop Auckland with a 2,004 attendance and we can sell out away at Spennymoor with a 2,400 attendance then what's to say this can't be done for other games, never mind the importance.
The atmospheres and the attendances actually do help, a lot more than some people see it. It's not like it's even expensive. Rather than turning up to the odd game, turn up to all. If you haven't been to any games this season, come along and experience how different it is, yet how amazing and passionate it still is. Heritage Park holds 2,004 people, over 700 season ticket holders, so why not have people rushing to get tickets before they all go? I know our fan base is big enough to do so.
All I'm saying is put it out there, to family, friends, even random people you see, tell them to get along to a game. There aren't many left and after beating Spennymoor, every single game is an essential win as if that happens and Spennymoor lose just 2 games, and we take advantage we will be promoted, and with the fans behind the lads making that twelfth man that extra bit special, I believe we can do it. I know we can do it.
GET YOURSELVES ALONG TO GAMES. Atmospheres, friendliness, togetherness, banter, competivity, passion, everything applies at Darlo games, and if you haven't of don't go, I suggest you at least try it out! Lets get them few more tickets selling!

I was asked to put this on here and I agree with everything said! Would be nice to get some near full capacity crowds in for the remaining home games!
Easier said than done most of the time for me...Am constantly skint, and then I have a problem with public transport especially on night games, there are no buses to where i live from virtually everywhere apart from Sunderland on a night...that apart, I can only get to a few games
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:16 pm

Lawman3 wrote:We have had plenty of meaningless seasons with no hope of promotion, so another wouldn't bother me.
Yes but we've never had seasons where we've been good enough to go up but couldn't. You are not comparing like with like, and I hope we don't end up in a situation where you have to face up to the difference.
The main thing for me is that we still have a team to support after all the s*** we've been through. And a fan owned one, not at the whims of a egomaniacal chairman with ulterior motives.
I agree with that, but I don't want it to be a ever decreasing fan owned club, stuck a couple of levels below the conference.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Out of curiosity and since the notion of a meaningless season is being used as the primary reason to think about moving back to the Arena - what exactly would BAFC need to do to get Heritage Park up to BSN level? I know they have aspirations too but it's a genuine question - I have no idea what is needed.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:55 pm

m62exile wrote:Out of curiosity and since the notion of a meaningless season is being used as the primary reason to think about moving back to the Arena - what exactly would BAFC need to do to get Heritage Park up to BSN level? I know they have aspirations too but it's a genuine question - I have no idea what is needed.

The main thing would be to increase the capacity to a minimum of 3,000, with the potential for further expansion.

And they'd have to increase the number of turnstiles, toilets and improve the car parking situation.

These are the Conference North grading requirements: http://www.thefa.com/Leagues/NationalLe ... adeB09.pdf
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks for that. It looks like the biggest problem would be covered seating, would need more, and not in a temporary structure. Do-able, but expensive, particularly for a temporary stay!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:52 pm

We won't be upgrading Heritage Park.

We will be returning to Darlington, so upgrading Heritage Park would mean that it would benefit Bishop more. Why should we pay for Bishop to have a better ground? It's illogical.

I know Bishop themselves have promotion aspirations, but they can deal with that in a few years when they are ready.

I'd rather return to the Arena than see us pay money for Bishop to have a better ground.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:08 am

Darlogramps wrote:We won't be upgrading Heritage Park.

We will be returning to Darlington, so upgrading Heritage Park would mean that it would benefit Bishop more. Why should we pay for Bishop to have a better ground? It's illogical.

I know Bishop themselves have promotion aspirations, but they can deal with that in a few years when they are ready.

I'd rather return to the Arena than see us pay money for Bishop to have a better ground.
I agree mate, I would be well pissed off if we start spunking money on Heritage Park
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:54 am

We might have to if we can't get sorted in Darlington soon.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:03 am

Quakerz wrote:We might have to if we can't get sorted in Darlington soon.
Id rather we upgrade HP than play for nothing.

As soon as we start a season where we have nothing to play for then you have to question why we are paying the players, and essentially should just pay the bare minimum to keep us up, which obviously would hit the support too.

We absolutely need to avoid seasons where we cant get promoted, even if it means spending money upgrading HP.

JPearson97

Post by JPearson97 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:18 am

shawry wrote:

As soon as we start a season where we have nothing to play for then you have to question why we are paying the players, and essentially should just pay the bare minimum to keep us up, which obviously would hit the support too.

We absolutely need to avoid seasons where we cant get promoted, even if it means spending money upgrading HP.
Or we ground-share at the Arena.

shawry

Post by shawry » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:25 pm

JPearson97 wrote:
shawry wrote:

Or we ground-share at the Arena.
My response was to Qz, about not being able to get sorted in Darlo, playing at the Arena would fall into the catagory of getting sorted in Darlo.