Ashington vs Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

afc1883
Team Supported: Ashington

Ashington vs Darlington

Post by afc1883 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:50 am

Hello Darlo Fans,

Just a quick message to say we look forward to welcoming you to Woodhorn Lane on Saturday as it is now our turn for a 'cup final' 8-)

Our club will be open from midday and will have the Premiership Football on for anyone that is making the trip up extra early.

Admission is the usual £6.00 for Adults and £1.50 for Concessions.

Unfortunately there is no parking at the ground due to our very restricted car park which on the day will be for players and officials only. There is parking in the nearby hospital (parking fees) or like most NL grounds people find places in the local streets.

The beer at our club is reasonably priced and we will have a Burger Van on site for food. Programmes are priced at £1.00.

Anyone making their way via public transport the nearest stop is Wansbeck Hospital or if you fancy the walk from the Town Centre that takes around 15 minutes.

Looking forward to the game itself although the way you are steamrollering teams at the moment I cant see anyone taking any points off you.

Cheers,
Brian Shotton, Ashington FC

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ashington vs Darlington

Post by poppyfield » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:56 am

Me + 1 are going up for this one, its quite near Scotland isnt it?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Well done Ashington. Good touch.

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:10 pm

Excellent PR Ashington. Step son, Friend from Rothbury (not a Colliers supporter) and I really looking forward to attending. Hope the weather plays no tricks

Will be staying overnight at Amble, still someway off Scotland

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:30 pm

I was hoping to go to the aquarium while I was up there but unfortunately it is closed for training porpoises.

But seriously, It's a great day out, I went with Aycliffe a season or two ago, it's a smart ground, large bar and very reasonably priced food. The only sour point of the day was when i went into the local hairdressers. I asked for a perm and the barber said: "I wandered lonely as a cloud."

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:34 pm

TKOA wrote:I was hoping to go to the aquarium while I was up there but unfortunately it is closed for training porpoises.

But seriously, It's a great day out, I went with Aycliffe a season or two ago, it's a smart ground, large bar and very reasonably priced food. The only sour point of the day was when i went into the local hairdressers. I asked for a perm and the barber said: "I wandered lonely as a cloud."
Very good!

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Post by Quakers1883 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:37 pm

TKOA wrote:I was hoping to go to the aquarium while I was up there but unfortunately it is closed for training porpoises.

:lol:
FORZA DARLO

jarramel

Post by jarramel » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:49 pm

For gods sake don't tell anyone from Ashington your hornier or they rush you to hospital with a ruptured stomach.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:51 pm

Funnily enough I went to the same hairdresser asking for my hair to be curled. He put me in the fridge for half an hour.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

tonyspain

Post by tonyspain » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:48 am

thats odd, i went to the same hairdresser, and asked him if he could make me look like peter beardsley, and the twat smashed me in the face with a hair dryer.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:03 am

tonyspain wrote:thats odd, i went to the same hairdresser, and asked him if he could make me look like peter beardsley, and the twat smashed me in the face with a hair dryer.
:grin:

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:21 am

Ashington Community Football Club,
Woodhorn Lane,
Ashington,
Northumberland,
NE63 9FW

http://www.ashingtonafc.com/home.html

Just to save anyone searching

afc1883
Team Supported: Ashington

Post by afc1883 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:32 am

Just incase the postcode is not recognised (some satnavs dont pick it up) you can also use NE63 9JJ. This will get you near enough the ground.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:20 pm

afc1883 wrote:Just incase the postcode is not recognised (some satnavs dont pick it up) you can also use NE63 9JJ. This will get you to the hairdressers.
;)

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:32 pm

Anyone know how close Gott is to been match fit? saw him doing a bit of training before the Shildon game.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Anyone need a lift from Teesside area? Looking to drive up tomorrow
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:51 pm

Post over on Ashington forum. Posted as its a fair read.
Author
scottrobson
Post subject: It would be just typical of us wouldnt it?Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:08 pm

God they've had us pulling our hair out with frustration at home this year at times, but whisper it quietly, wouldn't it just be typical Ashington if we could pull something off on Saturday as we play the most anticipated game of our season against runaway leaders DARLINGTON 1883.
The hyperbole about this game probably far outweighs what it will be, a bog standard Northern League match probably, but you can understand why a little bit as we face a big club who will bring 500 plus supporters and who two years ago were winning at Wembley and playing in the Conference. But they aint anymore and though there hasn't been any of the arrogance which you secretly thought there might be , it would be fantastic to get a result, more to banish the embarrassment of a performance down there in October when we lost 6 going on 15-1 despite leading, of course.
Despite protests about pricing at West and Norton, which they were quite rightly condemned, Darlington have been a breath of fresh air for the league and will be welcome today. One gripe though about tickets, how come you pay 3 quid more for darlo games than bishops at the same ground, just an idle thought!
Anyways back to the main players on Saturday- us. At last we seem to be getting some kind of momentum and with this and the senior cup coming up, some would say its the right time. Hebburn on Tuesday was a great result, i know they are on a hell of a bad run , but with a ref and a pitch like they were and on a night more like South Osettia rather than South Tyneside, to score 5 goals was great for our confidence. We made some balls ups of course, but some of our second half football will threaten Darlington if it is repeated Saturday, with MR Walton looking warm again.
The problem is, of course is that Darlington are no Hebburn and its going to have to be our best of a hit and miss season to get anything. i'm doing this while the Shildon game is being played, but its currently 2-0 and unless there something drastically strange happens, its 21 points clear with Spennymoor to play Thursday. 30 WINS FROM 35 GAMES, whichever league you find yourself in is amazing and though past masters moors cannot be ruled out- they win all games they win the title- Darlington are odds on because of that cushion and the fact momentum is so with them after the 3-1 win at Brewery Field last month. 43 players have been used in the current season including our own Matty Grieve, but they seem to have a settled team now. The inspired signing of Terry Galbraith from Dunston and the equally shrewd joinings of Jon Davis and MarK Bell, the keeper from West have given that extra quality needed and with big money being spent on Thompson in the autumn, these were added to the likes of Purewal, Dowson, Emms, Reay and Scott among others to make a formidable team. The man who makes them tick whenever ive seen them is Stephen Harrison, who looks a very good player. Despite scoring well over a hundred goals Darlington fans still want a finisher-god! some folks are never happy !
Of course we have such an indian sign over Darlington that we must expect something. They haven't beat us up here since the late 1920s in a competitive game! and our home record reads 5 wins and 1 defeat out of 6 played. Thats some hoodoo lads and lasses it stretches back almost as long as the queues will be for bait on Saturday!
For us and our players this is a game we have to go out and enjoy, hope we tuyrn on our undoubted talent and get something. You never know- that would be us all over!
ENJOY IT!
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:03 pm

Haha, I actually enjoyed that read even without space between paragraphs.

Looking forward to tomorrow, Ashington had some top fans in the home game and the sing off with handshakes all round at the end, is one of those things I just remember from this season.

Anyone know about Gott, Davis and Amar in terms of fitness. Davis and Amar were at Physio tonight and Gott was warming up on Wednesday so hopefully they are all close to being back.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Interesting that we're Calder Darlington 1883 and then for the rest of the article it's simply Darlington.

I sincerely hope once we progress through the leagues we get referred to as 'Darlington'

I refer to Halifax, Chester, Rangers, Wimbledon etc as exactly that because that's who they are. I find it wierd the NL teams call us 1883 when it's blindingly obvious who we are.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Looking forward to it, though I think he's optimistic when he says we'll bring 500+ fans. Anywhere north of Durham and we don't take as many and with Ashington 60 odd miles I can see it being more like 2/300. I hope of course that I'm proven wrong.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:50 pm

I don't know what he's talking about - the weather's lovely in South Ossetia at the moment!

Come on Darlo, got to break that hoodoo he mentioned.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:45 pm

TKOA wrote:Looking forward to it, though I think he's optimistic when he says we'll bring 500+ fans. Anywhere north of Durham and we don't take as many and with Ashington 60 odd miles I can see it being more like 2/300. I hope of course that I'm proven wrong.
Sat Mar 2nd, 2013 Newcastle Benfield A 642

Sat Jan 5th, 2013 South Shields A 858

Sat Sep 22nd, 2012 Dunston UTS A 758

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:02 am

Newcastle Benfield 36 miles

South Shields 38 miles

Dunston UTS 35 miles

Ashington 53 miles

It's also not as easy to get to on public transport, the metro definitely does not go there. Though I'll admit it is short of my 60 mile guess.

DarloBear
Team Supported: Darlington / Rangers

Post by DarloBear » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:19 am

Comfortably_numb wrote:Interesting that we're Calder Darlington 1883 and then for the rest of the article it's simply Darlington.

I sincerely hope once we progress through the leagues we get referred to as 'Darlington'

I refer to Halifax, Chester, Rangers, Wimbledon etc as exactly that because that's who they are. I find it wierd the NL teams call us 1883 when it's blindingly obvious who we are.
Don't single out NL clubs for doing this - the directors of the Darlington CIC kept referring to us as 1883 all through the fans forum on Tuesday night. The education needs to start closer to home.

As for Rangers, they are still referred to as Rangers because the football club never changed - it was the holding company that got liquidated. The football side simply has a new owner.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:07 am

Fair point DB

Chris darlo1883

Post by Chris darlo1883 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:49 am

Spoke to Gott Wednesday night and asked how long he said not this weekend maybe next

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:42 pm

TKOA wrote:Looking forward to it, though I think he's optimistic when he says we'll bring 500+ fans. Anywhere north of Durham and we don't take as many and with Ashington 60 odd miles I can see it being more like 2/300. I hope of course that I'm proven wrong.
Attendance : 906.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:30 pm

That was a tough game that. Ashington certainly didn't want to roll over and certainly had a decent amount of possession. Our defence though was superb, and their prolific forwards never got a sniff.

It did seem for a long time that we were never going to score either, it just wasn't happening with us being wasteful with the final ball, so it was a massive relief when one of our own Johnson scored the rebound after one of our own Hedley had hit the post.

On balance, we deserved the 1-0 win, but it was definitely a close match where we had to constantly work hard.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:11 pm

Good stuff a game we could of easily drew but we managed all 3 wasn't the best I've seen us play this season we gave the ball away an a lot a didn't create much but we defended well they never had a chance just unlucky spenny won

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:58 pm

MOD EDIT: Completely unnecessary :roll: