Mike Amos Blog

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

davidcurrieclass
Team Supported: Darlington

Mike Amos Blog

Post by davidcurrieclass » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:37 pm

is anyone else like me having withdrawal symptoms it's not been updated since 15th april! i need to know the transport methods hes got to his latest game why doesnt he just learn to drive im sure it would save a fortune in bus fares and he'd get home much quicker

darlo reborn

Re: Mike Amos Blog

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:14 pm

thought he was on holiday

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:28 pm

darlo reborn wrote:thought he was on holiday
He was but he's back now. I expect he'll catch up with his blog soon enough.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

jimmytheseal

Post by jimmytheseal » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:23 pm

davidcurrieclass wrote:is anyone else like me having withdrawal symptoms it's not been updated since 15th april! i need to know the transport methods hes got to his latest game why doesnt he just learn to drive im sure it would save a fortune in bus fares and he'd get home much quicker
I may be wrong ..but I think Mike Amos (like many peoples) vision does not meet the DVLA required standard and therefore he is prohibited from driving.

I believe he mentioned this in his Echo column

If Mike reads this and if my information is incorrect then I apologise

Yackley_Quaker

Post by Yackley_Quaker » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:20 am

davidcurrieclass wrote:is anyone else like me having withdrawal symptoms it's not been updated since 15th april! i need to know the transport methods hes got to his latest game why doesnt he just learn to drive im sure it would save a fortune in bus fares and he'd get home much quicker

Mike Amos is a pensioner and has his free bus pass and OAP rail pass for reduced fares on the train. The old git !!

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:58 am

jimmytheseal wrote:
I may be wrong ..but I think Mike Amos (like many peoples) vision does not meet the DVLA required standard and therefore he is prohibited from driving.

I believe he mentioned this in his Echo column

If Mike reads this and if my information is incorrect then I apologise
I think Mike's got better things to do with his time than worry about what a few people on here think. If people actually read his blog they might learn something.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:23 am

The Blog is up and running again, and we do get a mention regarding the fixture extension etc, Mike doesn't seem to give anything away though. He does say he thinks that the Darlo fans are generally good guys like.

19th April Blog - he says he has good news that he can't reveal yet, news he's been waiting for, maybe 2 to go up? We can speculate.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:30 am

He does give something away. He seems to think its okay for Spenny to have the extension the name of "fairness". Neglecting not just ourselves but potentially other feeder clubs and Tonbridge who are fitting their games in ahead of the final. I didn't have a high regard for the man anyway (he intentionally misquoted me in the echo) but to go against the FA (can't believe I've just typed that) and make things unequal is just wrong. Even if Darlo weren't potentially affected I would still feel the same.

Darlodfc

Post by Darlodfc » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:33 am

Amos - "Would they rather win a two horse race against a half fit opponent or against opposition almost literally on their knees?"

No we would rather win a race where EVERY member had the same rules, made at the beginning of the season and stuck to!

northernlad73
Team Supported: Spennymoor Town FC

Post by northernlad73 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:05 am

Darlodfc wrote:Amos - "Would they rather win a two horse race against a half fit opponent or against opposition almost literally on their knees?"

No we would rather win a race where EVERY member had the same rules, made at the beginning of the season and stuck to!
But every member hasn't had the same rules this season as 1883 couldn't take part in the FA Cup or Vase meaning less games to play. I'm not saying that's your fault but it wasn't a level playing field from the off.
1883 will play a maximum of 48 games this season, while Spennymoor (should they win in the League Cup Semi) will play 70!
Unbelievable Jeff!!

crapname

Post by crapname » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 am

Fair enough but we have had to cram our games in to finish by 6 May.
4 games in a week etc.
These could have been spaced out but we weren't allowed.

(Apologies if any of this is wrong)

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:09 am

I totally understand that point Northernlad however, every other step 5 league has been singing off the same hymn sheet in regards to the deadline. Look at Guernsey and Tunbridge Wells who have to play matches in consecutive days. Why should the Northern League be any different and why should some be granted an extension and others not?
Last edited by Darlofan97 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:11 am

crapname wrote:Fair enough but we have had to cram our games in to finish by 6 May.
4 games in a week etc.
These could have been spaced out but we weren't allowed.

(Apologies if any of this is wrong)
Spot on. We asked the NL if we could play the Bishop Auckland (I think) game on May 6th and they rejected yet Spennymoor get an extra 2 weeks to complete their fixtures. Hmmmm.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:11 am

Darlofan97 wrote:I totally understand that point Northernlad however, every other step 5 league has been singing off the same hymn sheet in regards to the deadline. Look at Guernsey and Tunbridge Wells who have to play matches in consecutive days. Why should the Northern League be any different?
This. This is where my gripe is. It's unfair on every other club in the country who have ambitions on promotion, or are trying to avoid relegation

Darlo-Richie

Post by Darlo-Richie » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:12 am

They seem to want to give Spennymoor every chance but they know the deadline, its the 7th May and other teams in the pyramid are hurrying to get their games played for it, NL are not an exception to the rule nor should they be!

Also noticed Spenny are only playing ONE league game this midweek, does the league Cup (playing Dunston on Tuesday I think) really have to be a priority right now?!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:13 am

northernlad73 wrote:
Darlodfc wrote:Amos - "Would they rather win a two horse race against a half fit opponent or against opposition almost literally on their knees?"

But every member hasn't had the same rules this season as 1883 couldn't take part in the FA Cup or Vase meaning less games to play. I'm not saying that's your fault but it wasn't a level playing field from the off.
1883 will play a maximum of 48 games this season, while Spennymoor (should they win in the League Cup Semi) will play 70!
But that's your problem, not ours. We could have played more than 48 if we'd taken the cups seriously, but we didn't. Such is life.

We beat you at a stage of the season where you were only 23 league matches in and we were 31 - even including your cup games you hadn't played piles more than us at that point.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:14 am

Darlo-Richie wrote:They seem to want to give Spennymoor every chance but they know the deadline, its the 7th May and other teams in the pyramid are hurrying to get their games played for it, NL are not an exception to the rule nor should they be!

Also noticed Spenny are only playing ONE league game this midweek, does the league Cup (playing Dunston on Tuesday I think) really have to be a priority right now?!
The funny thing is, they postponed Shildon v Spennymoor, both teams with the WORST fixture backlog in the league, in favour of this game.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:18 am

I agree with you Darlodfc,every member of the league should have the same rules. Amos is quite clearly wrong. In any competition the rules should apply equally to everyone. Imagine this situation in the Premier League, or any other league come to that.

I reckon that Mr Amos will be hoping like mad that all this gets sorted out on the pitch (by us getting the points we need not to be caught) otherwise there will be a lot of questions for him to answer.

The Northern League's policy of helping their teams do well in The Vase has been the problem here. I think Spennymoor should ask the F.A to put the Cup final back by two weeks - so that they can finish the league on time. Tunbridge Wells (?) won't mind because as M.A says ---
:thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo-Richie

Post by Darlo-Richie » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:19 am

northernlad73 wrote:

And who's fault is that? The FA refused to let us into the Vase. Which is also, effectively, a 2 year ban from the FA Cup. The rules were imposed strictly on us last year, we damn well want consistency in this case!
Last edited by Darlo-Richie on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:22 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I agree with you Darlodfc,every member of the league should have the same rules. Amos is quite clearly wrong. In any competition the rules should apply equally to everyone. Imagine this situation in the Premier League, or any other league come to that.

I reckon that Mr Amos will be hoping like mad that all this gets sorted out on the pitch (by us getting the points we need not to be caught) otherwise there will be a lot of questions for him to answer.

The Northern League's policy of helping their teams do well in The Vase has been the problem here. I think Spennymoor should ask the F.A to put the Cup final back by two weeks - so that they can finish the league on time. Tunbridge Wells (?) won't mind because as M.A says ---
Another good point, it's also not fair that Tunbridge Wells have had to cram in all but one fixture (May 6th deadline) before the Vase final whereas Spennymoor get away with 4.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:23 am

Darlo-Richie wrote:
northernlad73 wrote:

And who's fault is that? The FA refused to let to let us into the Vase. Which is also, effectively, a 2 year ban from the FA Cup. The rules were imposed strictly on us last year, we damn well want consistency in this case!
That's a good point.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

northernlad73

Post by northernlad73 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:24 am

Cup competitions take precedence over league games. Always have and always will.

The availability of Wembley dictates the date of the final. The League 2 play off final is the week after the Vase, followed by the FA Cup followed by the Champions League final on the 25th May. I can really see the FA moving the CL final for the Vase.
Unbelievable Jeff!!

northernlad73

Post by northernlad73 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:25 am

Darlo-Richie wrote:
northernlad73 wrote:

And who's fault is that? The FA refused to let to let us into the Vase. Which is also, effectively, a 2 year ban from the FA Cup. The rules were imposed strictly on us last year, we damn well want consistency in this case!
Get off your high horse. I said it wasn't the fault of 1883.
Unbelievable Jeff!!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:30 am

Look mate, it's "Darlo"

If you're going to nickname us, then show the respect of using the right one. Only cunts call us "1883", are you a cunt?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:31 am

I have nothing against Mr Amos but this ---

[quote="Darlodfc"]Amos - "Would they rather win a two horse race against a half fit opponent or against opposition almost literally on their knees?"

---- is utter bollocks! Apply it to any other sporting competition, boxing,golf, running, in fact anything - in sport You train, you prepare, you play to win, you abide by the rules which apply to everyone else. HA HA.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:33 am

Quakerz wrote:Look mate, it's "Darlo"

If you're going to nickname us, then show the respect of using the right one. Only cunts call us "1883", are you a cunt?
To be honest I think it should be a banning offence, but that's just me.

northernlad73

Post by northernlad73 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:35 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:I agree with you Darlodfc,every member of the league should have the same rules. Amos is quite clearly wrong. In any competition the rules should apply equally to everyone. Imagine this situation in the Premier League, or any other league come to that.

Another good point, it's also not fair that Tunbridge Wells have had to cram in all but one fixture (May 6th deadline) before the Vase final whereas Spennymoor get away with 4.
They only play 34 league games due only 17 teams in the league they play in.
Unbelievable Jeff!!

northernlad73

Post by northernlad73 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:37 am

Quakerz wrote:Look mate, it's "Darlo"

It's easier to type on the iPad.
Unbelievable Jeff!!

Darlo-Richie

Post by Darlo-Richie » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:37 am

northernlad73 wrote:
Darlo-Richie wrote:
northernlad73 wrote:

Get off your high horse. I said it wasn't the fault of 1883.
Nor did I say you did, personally I think both clubs should go up, as Spennymoor has the highest PPG of all 2nd placed clubs at step 5 but the FA is only taking Southern based teams for spare promotion places, which is where the true unfairness is.

Also our nickname is "Darlo", that is something that can't be changed! 8-)
Last edited by Darlo-Richie on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:38 am

northernlad73 wrote:

Are the FA Cup and FA Vase the Northern League's responsibility? I don't believe they are. So the NL committee should ensure the fair running of those competitions it is responsible for, namely the League and the League Cup. We entered both of those, as did yourselves. It is not our fault that "Town" (see what I did there) had a stronger squad at the start of the season.

The Northern League should not be prioritising the Vase over the League in my opinion. And frankly, you aren't going to get much sympathy from us by being in 2 extra competitions we weren't allowed in, and we would have liked to have been in.