Darlington Memories Book

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

mikkyx
Site Admin

Darlington Memories Book

Post by mikkyx » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:10 am

Ray Simpson writes:
On behalf of the club, I'm currently working on another book of Darlington memories that starts from the Wembley Trophy final up to the present day.
I've been working on this book for almost four months, and spoken to many people (with quite a few more to come). I've already received contributions -- with much gratitude -- from Chris Senior, Paul Arnison, Sam Russell, Jamie Chandler, Craig Liddle, Denis Pinnegar, plus many fans whom I know personally of their experiences and memories. I am already up to the 50,000 word mark.
In similar style to the successful and popular Farewell to Feethams book in 2002, I would like contributions from fans on your memories from the last two years.
In particular, I want to know about your memories from;
The Trophy final -- the anticipation of the day itself, where you were in the stadium, how you felt before the game, when penalties were looming, when Chris Senior scored the goal that Darlo fans will always remember.
The game at Barrow -- did you really feel that the club would be playing its last game? How did you feel before and after the game? How did you feel when you saw that famous banner?
Bewildering Wednesday -- a unforgettable day when the club was dead and buried, only to be revived. How did you feel when you read or heard that the club "had gone" at midday? And then how did you feel when you heard that the club was saved.? How did you follow the news? Did you get much work done?
Surviving the season -- did you help with fundraising eg the Fleetwood and York games, how did you feel when the season finally ended, how did you feel towards the players and management team?
Leaving the Arena -- over the decade the club played there, what were your best and worst memories of the Arena? What was the best performance there? The best goal? The daftest moment (step forward Chris Brass)? The worst moment? How did you feel about leaving the Arena?
Relegation to the Northern League -- how did you feel when the club was relegated from Step 1 to Step 5? How did you feel towards the FA? Did you think the club would survive.
Just let the memories flow (keep them legal) as you did for Farewell to Feethams, let me do the editing.

Please e mail your contributions to raysimpson1uk@yahoo.co.uk

Some of you have already been kind enough to give me some memories, so please feel free to pass this mail on to somebody who might like to contribute. Or even add to the memories you've already given me!
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

mikkyx
Site Admin

Re: Darlington Memories Book

Post by mikkyx » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:38 am

Had an e-mail from Ray to say he's had a few good responses to this but he's looking for more Arena memories (the handful of good ones we have from there, anyway!) if possible. If you can help, get in touch.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Tue May 07, 2013 9:42 am

Update from Ray:
Dear all;
As one of the final chapters in the proposed book, I would like to know your best and worst memories of the Northern League season.

What were your feelings when the Darlo team walked out at Heritage Park on the first day of the season?

In your opinion, what was the best goal? For you, what was the best match?
Who was the best player and why? What was so special about the day Darlo clinched promotion, and then four days later what was special about lifting the Trophy after the Guisborough game?

What did you enjoy most about the Northern League, and what did you enjoy least?

What impressed you most about the team this season?

(Keep it legal!)
Please contact Ray at raysimpson1uk@yahoo.co.uk with your answers.

Ray Simpson
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Ray Simpson » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Dear all;
I've had some fantastic contributions for the book, I'm now very close to finishing the production part of it. If anyone wants to send a contribution, you have until the June 15th. It can be anything you like along the lines of the Trophy final, Barrow, Bewildering Wednesday, the Northern League season or Arena memories.

victor meldrew

Post by victor meldrew » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Any news on when the books out?

Ray Simpson

Post by Ray Simpson » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Hopefully, late September/early October. Going through the proof reading corrections at the moment.

princebishop

Post by princebishop » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Out of interest, anybody have a copy of Farewell to Feethams that they wish to sell?

victor meldrew

Post by victor meldrew » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Cheers Ray look forward to reading it

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:53 pm

princebishop wrote:Out of interest, anybody have a copy of Farewell to Feethams that they wish to sell?
I'd like one too.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Ray Simpson

Post by Ray Simpson » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:05 pm

an update -- putting the finishing touches to the book over the next few days. The launch date is probably going to be in the week before the Trophy tie at Ossett Town on October 5th. More details later, hopefully a few of the ex players will be able to come, depending on their commitments.

ron-harbertson-hero

Post by ron-harbertson-hero » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:20 pm

Another copy wanted here in the midlands. Hopefully postal sales will be possible.

Also I have a spare copy of the "Farewell to Feethams" book which I thoroughly enjoyed. The spare copy needs a good home. Offers!!

Whispering Assassin

Post by Whispering Assassin » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:26 pm

Looking forward to the memories book. Apparently my articles are in it! I will definitely be wanting a copy so I hope it's available by post!
You only choose once so choose wisely..................