Congratulations from California

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

PaulMJohnson
Team Supported: Darlington

Congratulations from California

Post by PaulMJohnson » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:39 pm

Can't believe it's been 20 odd years since something like this happened.

Well done to everyone involved in the club, the players, the manager, the organizers, and just as importantly, the fans.

If over 1000 people hadn't continued driving to a different town to watch a mickey mouse league week in week out, the club would be gone.

Now it's onwards to victory!

Ginge01

Re: Congratulations from California

Post by Ginge01 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Congrats from NoCal (San Jose in Northern California), and congrats from SoCal (Los Angeles in Southern California). I am not alone out here!!!

I've seen some phone videos of today, looks like it was a great atmosphere, I'm impatiently waiting for the official highlights to be uploaded, there must have been a roar heard in Darlington when Amar scored the third.

Congratulations, I want one of those T shirts.

PaulMJohnson

Post by PaulMJohnson » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:10 pm

It's not often when I'm out enjoying the California sun that I wish I was back in Darlo, but today I wish I was back there!

Ginge01

Post by Ginge01 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Agreed, a cold Midweek night, drinking bovril at halftime and cheering on the team for 45 more minutes while the ankle bones freeze and its impossible to walk normally back to the car, happy days. A pint of Tetley's Imperial at the Speedwell with a melted cheese sandwich to thaw me out!!! Made all the better if Carl Airey had scored the winner. That's when I wish I was there although the forum, YouTube has been wonderful for following what has happened. Twitter provides prompt updates, it is great to be able to get this much real time information compared to other Northern League teams. Onwards and upwards.

PaulMJohnson

Post by PaulMJohnson » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:15 pm

You're dead right. I didn't know what the point of Twitter was until this year.

To everyone who has provided us exiles with updates, a massive thank you!

Ginge01

Post by Ginge01 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:00 pm

LoL, agreed, I thought twitter was for airheads who spent their day following Miley Cyrus or Lindsay Lohan. Now I know it can be use for a purpose, it might not be advancing science but its all I need it for now. Up to date Darlington scores, it will be put to good use again on Wednesday night when we can hopefully beat Guisborough and complete 40 league wins out of 46 games for the season. Amazing!!!!

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:55 pm

PaulMJohnson wrote:You're dead right. I didn't know what the point of Twitter was until this year.

To everyone who has provided us exiles with updates, a massive thank you!
The guys who have done the social media have been immense.

Ginge01

Post by Ginge01 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:05 pm

So true, social media for Darlington fans who live out of the area has been tremendous

LAexpat

Post by LAexpat » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:01 am

Add me to the list of SoCal expats. Great way to kick off the weekend when your team are crowned champions before breakfast !!

Echo the comments of others, it's been a nerve wracking season following twitter from afar, but thanks to those who put in the effort to keep the rest of us in touch

Ginge01

Post by Ginge01 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:44 am

Where in SoCal are you, I'm Buena Park, when a normal Saturday is a cup of coffee at 7am and watching for Twitter updates, it keeps me happy, I do miss the Darlo radio commentaries off the BBC. If someone could videostream the games, to the Kings Head in Santa Monica or The Ship in Fullerton, I could be enjoying the game with a bacon butty!!!

Today is the teams day, they are the champions, I still await the extended highlights :clap:

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:20 am

Not as far removed as these surfer types, but still pretty remote down here & would like to add my thanks for those keeping us exiles in touch. :roll:

LAexpat

Post by LAexpat » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:50 pm

I'm in Redondo Beach, been out here a couple of years now. We go up to the Kings Head in Santa Monica from time to time, when we need to replenish supplies. Would be amazing if they carried our games :-)

Ginge01

Post by Ginge01 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:58 am

LAexpat wrote:I'm in Redondo Beach, been out here a couple of years now. We go up to the Kings Head in Santa Monica from time to time, when we need to replenish supplies. Would be amazing if they carried our games :-)
Yes it would be amazing to see Darlington broadcast in L.A., 23 years I've been here now, I do visit the Kings Head 1-2 times a year, you should also visit the Continental shop on 18th ish and Wilshire, only a couple of miles away from Santa Monica, not too far back to the 10 if you have your Thomas guide, I'm still old school, hate satellite navigation, I like to know where I'm going, not left turn in 100 yds!!!, the Continental shop also has a large selection, I found it a little cheaper, used to get my flights booked over there pre internet. The original owner who has since passed away was stationed (I think with the RAF) during World War II at Great Ayton, small world!!!. I also go to Pioneer Blvd in Artesia, up the 105 to 605 to 91 for you. Little India, I can get PG Tips, McVities bikkies, Cadbury's chocolate, all the essentials. Some Indian Spice mix, put chicken in a pan, a few veggies, 20 minutes later dinner is ready, rice cooked separately, better than the old meat and two boiled veg I had as a kid in Middlesbrough.

Still enjoying this weekend, haven't been so happy with Darlington for a league campaign since following Cyril Knowles 1984/85 boys, Halifax, Scunthorpe, Colchester, all cold away wins on a Friday night, those were some incredibly dilapidated football grounds, at that time Halifax still had the speedway track arounf it. They clinched promotion at Crewe with a 2-2 draw, I was there, I am sure David Platt later of Aston Villa and England was playing for Crewe. Without the internet in 1990 & 1991 I heard nothing about those promotion years, youtube, websites, forums and twitter make this season completely different. Listening to Ray Simpson when Chris Senior scored at Wembley on the BBC website at 9 in the morning, that was a special day also.