My club

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Sleethy
Team Supported: Darlington

My club

Post by Sleethy » Wed May 01, 2013 10:27 pm

What a year.ive seen a few promotions ,a couple of championships and to many relegations and re elections in my time.ive seen a lot of good players,a lot of tryers and a few mercenarys too.although Darlington has always been the team I've supported I've never had the feeling that I was as much a part of it as the players, the management and every other fan in the ground as I did tonight and Saturday.cant wait for next season.

The Singing Man

Re: My club

Post by The Singing Man » Thu May 02, 2013 9:17 am

You know, when I read posts like this I have to say I never realised that there were as many who have been going as long as I have. With so many going back into the 50's as fans, it makes me wonder why there are in truth, so few Darlo fans kicking about.
I know we had something of a bad spell in the 70's in particular, but with people using players names from the 66 promotion team etc as names on here, any thoughts on the reason for there being so many oldies and seemingly so few since?

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:50 am

The Singing Man wrote:You know, when I read posts like this I have to say I never realised that there were as many who have been going as long as I have. With so many going back into the 50's as fans, it makes me wonder why there are in truth, so few Darlo fans kicking about.
I know we had something of a bad spell in the 70's in particular, but with people using players names from the 66 promotion team etc as names on here, any thoughts on the reason for there being so many oldies and seemingly so few since?

The ever increasing live TV transmission of games.

It is easier for some to support Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool etc, from the comfort of their own home. Or the pub.

You don't have to travel far these days to watch teams from Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland, USA, Argentina etc on a regular basis.

The Singing Man

Post by The Singing Man » Thu May 02, 2013 12:15 pm

I get your point Fib, but even that seems to fall short. There seem to be more about kicking back to the 50's-60's than the 80's-90's, when there was not the coverage there is today. Maybe just that the oldie's mention the past more ! Lat's face it, we have a lot more "past" than "future" !!

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:57 pm

The Singing Man wrote:I get your point Fib, but even that seems to fall short. There seem to be more about kicking back to the 50's-60's than the 80's-90's, when there was not the coverage there is today. Maybe just that the oldie's mention the past more ! Lat's face it, we have a lot more "past" than "future" !!

Yes it's not the only reason.

Another could be transport. How many people had access to a car in the 50's etc? Or could afford the bus/train fare to Newcastle, Sunderland?

More people relied on their local club for live football.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu May 02, 2013 1:19 pm

A lot of us oldies who followed the club throughout the sixties were kids back
then, and as we grew up moved away from the town.
Got more time now to re-connect with the club again. There are more Darlo fans than you think but an awful lot of us are exiles.
Crowds in the sixties were much bigger than the seventies and eighties and therefore you would expect more supporters now from that era, until we all start to slip off the dish.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu May 02, 2013 1:35 pm

It was the late eighties when I first started going to games.

One thing mind is good to see the youngsters getting involved with the club this season, we have some great supporters in their teenage years and the interaction between them and the players is fantastic to see.

The closeness in terms of the players and fans is something that needs to continue to be built on and will set the club up for years to come.

The Singing Man

Post by The Singing Man » Thu May 02, 2013 3:11 pm

Banktopp, I hear you and agree. At the moment I am living the closest I have for about 30 years.
Re' exiles and Dafts, I used to do an 800+ mile round trip home and away for a few years on my own. I only found out a few weeks before I moved on that a family who lived just about 8 miles from me did the same, and always had an empty seat in the car !!!
When you see things like the pub in Birmingham full of Darlo stuff, and those in London commenting on here, let alone America, Canada, Australia and all points between it really makes one blink and wonder how such a small, unpopular club have such a worldwide following.(We are all such glory hunters!!!).
Anyone remember the guy who saw us on Frost and started coming over from Canada to see the club play? Wonder if he is still around !!