Name change..

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Name change..

Post by Quakerz » Wed May 08, 2013 6:27 pm

I don't mind the name Darlington 1883 for the company that runs the club, but as has been said, the whole "1883" thing has been used by NL fans and some NL clubs against us, to irritate us. And it worked. It irks the fuck out of me to be honest.

We need to be officially accepted as Darlington FC asap, in my opinion.

For those that think this can't happen, allow me to point out that Newport County actually went bust, reformed under another similar name similar to the likes of FC Halifax, AFC Telford and Chester, but were eventually allowed to revert back to Newport County.

Same with Maidstone United.

Even Spennymoor Town held a vote on whether to revert back to "Spennymoor United" - the name of the old, bust, club - but they voted in favour of staying as "Town".

So this can be done, given a length of time elapsed that I do not know, and we didn't even go bloody bust either.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed May 08, 2013 7:32 pm

Quakerz wrote:I don't mind the name Darlington 1883 for the company that runs the club, but as has been said, the whole "1883" thing has been used by NL fans and some NL clubs against us, to irritate us. And it worked. It irks the fuck out of me to be honest.

We need to be officially accepted as Darlington FC asap, in my opinion.

For those that think this can't happen, allow me to point out that Newport County actually went bust, reformed under another similar name similar to the likes of FC Halifax, AFC Telford and Chester, but were eventually allowed to revert back to Newport County.

Same with Maidstone United.

Even Spennymoor Town held a vote on whether to revert back to "Spennymoor United" - the name of the old, bust, club - but they voted in favour of staying as "Town".

So this can be done, given a length of time elapsed that I do not know, and we didn't even go bloody bust either.
Well said mate...

About Spennymoor, what is there status, are they treated as a direct continuation of Spennymoor United, or seen as a continuation of Spenny United, Evenwood Town or both
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Wed May 08, 2013 7:36 pm

As I have said before, the 1883 does not bother me too much, a lot of my mates have asked me what it is all about, I just simply tell them it is the year Darlington was founded...

I use the line

4 numbers
1 Year
1 Club
Darlington F.C.
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed May 08, 2013 8:18 pm

Seeing as the FA don't seem to do anything when other clubs disregard the rules (spendy extending their season) I don't see why we don't just do the same and publicly 'forget' to add the 1883 bit.

Going by the spendy farce the FA will do rock all.

(Assuming they've finished twisting the knife into us)

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Wed May 08, 2013 9:53 pm

I guess it won't be popular but I'm not that unhappy with it and can see some advantages;
1. As said it can be pretty cool like Munchen 1860
2. Its different - makes us stand out
3. We just ignore it when we feel like it
4. As someone stated it sort of stands out against the FA and what they have done to us because we have been here since 1883 - its a badge of defiance
5. When our results get to be read out I am looking forward to the announcers trying to get their tongues around Darlington 1883 3 Hartlepool 0 and the deeply bloody minded in me would like to insist we were always given our full name in the results. What the FA wants the FA gets - with interest!
6. Certainly don't want AFC - that's just naff and does make us look like a new club.

MattClarkesLeftPeg

Post by MattClarkesLeftPeg » Thu May 09, 2013 6:23 am

dfcdfcdfc wrote:I guess it won't be popular but I'm not that unhappy with it and can see some advantages;
1. As said it can be pretty cool like Munchen 1860
2. Its different - makes us stand out
3. We just ignore it when we feel like it
4. As someone stated it sort of stands out against the FA and what they have done to us because we have been here since 1883 - its a badge of defiance
5. When our results get to be read out I am looking forward to the announcers trying to get their tongues around Darlington 1883 3 Hartlepool 0 and the deeply bloody minded in me would like to insist we were always given our full name in the results. What the FA wants the FA gets - with interest!
6. Certainly don't want AFC - that's just naff and does make us look like a new club.
This for me :thumbup:

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu May 09, 2013 7:01 am

Darlo-Richie wrote:
andi_darlo wrote:I thought i remember seeing something at the time about the name change only being temporary ?

I thought because R*j had kidnapped the share we had to play as Darlington 1883 because 2 teams with the same name couldnt hold a share ?

now surely the share he owned has been written off (presumably ?) could we not just apply to change the name back ?

i thought i saw this was how it would work anyway ? but i may have been dreaming it ?
That is why we should push the FA on this, as I said even adding an A to the suffix should be enough of a change, we were rushed last year by the FA. It would also alleviate some of the resentment a lot of us have towards them.
It will never alleviate the resentment I feel towards them after what bthey did to us. I sincerely hope England never win another competitive game in my lifetime, and if the cricket team didn't wear the three lions as well, I would have sold my three lions ring long before now. :roll:

carver30

Post by carver30 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:02 am

I noticed on Tees recently Ali Brownlee had dropped the 1883 when talking about Darlo. I'm sure over time the 1883 can be dropped from any literature etc and just be the legal entity.

sasha44

Post by sasha44 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:38 pm

I think the club`s money can be used in better ways, than to be used to change the name. It can cost a lot to change all the paperwork etc.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Thu May 09, 2013 2:43 pm

sasha44 wrote:I think the club`s money can be used in better ways, than to be used to change the name. It can cost a lot to change all the paperwork etc.
How much?
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu May 09, 2013 8:59 pm

Ingleby wrote:
sasha44 wrote:I think the club`s money can be used in better ways, than to be used to change the name. It can cost a lot to change all the paperwork etc.
How much?
About a hundred quid including VAT if they just wanted to register Darlington FC as a trading name of Darlington 1883 Ltd.

There's no need to change the company name. We already use Darlington FC on the website so spending a hundred quid to secure that name as ours might be worth it. We still couldn't use that as our playing name though, but enough of us writing to website editors and politely asking them to just refer to us as Darlington might help that name to "stick", rather than the 1883 version.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Tori_Gill
Team Supported: DFC

Post by Tori_Gill » Thu May 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Officially, the club has charged its name.

When I was a director, the company was called Darlington FC 1883 then in February 2013, it changed to Darlington 1883.

The CIC started out as 'enabling sport' (no idea why) then the name changed again to 1883 CIC in February 2013 then it changed its name again on 1st may to Darlington Football Club CIC.

All on companies house, no idea of costs involved mind.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Thu May 09, 2013 9:34 pm

Tori_Gill wrote:Officially, the club has charged its name.

When I was a director, the company was called Darlington FC 1883 then in February 2013, it changed to Darlington 1883.

The CIC started out as 'enabling sport' (no idea why) then the name changed again to 1883 CIC in February 2013 then it changed its name again on 1st may to Darlington Football Club CIC.

All on companies house, no idea of costs involved mind.
Heads gone. :wtf:
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

divas

Post by divas » Fri May 10, 2013 6:26 am

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
Ingleby wrote:
How much?
About a hundred quid including VAT if they just wanted to register Darlington FC as a trading name of Darlington 1883 Ltd.

There's no need to change the company name. We already use Darlington FC on the website so spending a hundred quid to secure that name as ours might be worth it. We still couldn't use that as our playing name though, but enough of us writing to website editors and politely asking them to just refer to us as Darlington might help that name to "stick", rather than the 1883 version.
Not sure if we can use Darlington FC as a trading name given that we have used that in the past and that particular company has been liquidated. The trading/company name doesn't really matter.

As has been mentioned in time 1883 will be dropped and even moreso should we get back to a respectable level. Once we're at levels we've played at before I'm sure we'll be regarded as the Darlington that used to inhabit those leagues.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Fri May 10, 2013 10:11 am

divas wrote:Not sure if we can use Darlington FC as a trading name given that we have used that in the past and that particular company has been liquidated. The trading/company name doesn't really matter.

As has been mentioned in time 1883 will be dropped and even moreso should we get back to a respectable level. Once we're at levels we've played at before I'm sure we'll be regarded as the Darlington that used to inhabit those leagues.
Agreed, we can't use it as our "Playing Name" but there's nothing the FA or anyone else can do to stop us simply registering it as a trading name (merely to nab and protect it as our own), seeing as we already use it on the website.

It's not taken by anyone...

http://www.start.biz/business_names/mul ... lington+FC
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Ash_Quaker

Post by Ash_Quaker » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:29 pm

Airdrie United to revert to old Airdrieonians name.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22762457