Who is your team after Darlo?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Re: Who is your team after Darlo?

Post by princes town » Wed May 22, 2013 11:48 pm

Blackburn because of my father and grandfather and childhood roots. Harrogate Town my teenage roots

On the Man U/Darlo link, I recollect Gary Twynham who I rated quite highly.

Andrew Wilkinson

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Thu May 23, 2013 8:02 am

Mike Pollitt started his career at Man Utd, though didn't play for the first team, then later played for Darlo. He's at Wigan now as goalkeeping coach. It was good to see him celebrating with the FA Cup at Wembley.

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by divas » Thu May 23, 2013 8:05 am

Andrew Wilkinson wrote:Mike Pollitt started his career at Man Utd, though didn't play for the first team, then later played for Darlo. He's at Wigan now as goalkeeping coach. It was good to see him celebrating with the FA Cup at Wembley.
There was also quite a good little feature with him and Paul Scharner in the build up.

Andrew Wilkinson

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Thu May 23, 2013 8:21 am

I missed that. Pity. Big Poll is a smashing guy. He wasn't at Darlo long, but whenever I see him we have a chat. To be with a Premiership club into his 40s speaks volumes about his character and ability.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Thu May 23, 2013 9:42 am

[quote="Jazz Maverick"]Fulham.

I have a season ticket and they appear to be the top flight club that has been least cuntified by modern football[

Born in darlo, family still in darlo and I still call darlo home but have not lived there for for 15 years since I left for uni I have tried a couple of times to pick up a second team to support and just fail, simply can't turn my back on darlo as their my team.

Always had a soft spot for Liverpool as they were the team when I was a youngster and I still like to see them do well, prefer it if it were them than city / Chelsea challenging. over the years I have flirted with other clubs Leicester (under O'Neill) when I lived there but never any thing serious and tend to keep an eye on mates teams, Norwich, Swans the main two at the moment and go to the odd game a season with them, both really good honest clubs/supporters for them premier.

I quoted JM as I now live between fulham and Chelsea and the past 2 seasons have thought about a fulham season ticket just so I can watch some football regularly (darlo home and away was a long trek last season). However I never managed to bring myself to buy that season ticket as it just feels wrong, oh and I never seem able to get over that game at at feethams when fulham literally kicked us off the park.

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Thu May 23, 2013 10:03 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:
Jazz Maverick wrote:Fulham.

I have a season ticket and they appear to be the top flight club that has been least cuntified by modern football
Born in darlo, family still in darlo and I still call darlo home but have not lived there for for 15 years since I left for uni I have tried a couple of times to pick up a second team to support and just fail, simply can't turn my back on darlo as their my team.

Always had a soft spot for Liverpool as they were the team when I was a youngster and I still like to see them do well, prefer it if it were them than city / Chelsea challenging. over the years I have flirted with other clubs Leicester (under O'Neill) when I lived there but never any thing serious and tend to keep an eye on mates teams, Norwich, Swans the main two at the moment and go to the odd game a season with them, both really good honest clubs/supporters for them premier.

I quoted JM as I now live between fulham and Chelsea and the past 2 seasons have thought about a fulham season ticket just so I can watch some football regularly (darlo home and away was a long trek last season). However I never managed to bring myself to buy that season ticket as it just feels wrong, oh and I never seem able to get over that game at at feethams when fulham literally kicked us off the park.
I had a Fulham season ticket a few years ago for the same reason you're thinking and probably why Jazz has one too, and it does serve a purpose - regular Prem footy, reasonably cheap, great location (scenery, nearby pubs etc.) Still felt a bit soulless though. I was in the Hammersmith end, which is supposedly the main 'singing' bit, but came to the conclusion that most people around me were doing the same thing I was - e.g. fans of other teams or neutrals who just want to catch regular footy and don't really care whether Fulham win or not. The opposite end of the ground is even designated for 'neutral' fans.

Jamm

Post by Jamm » Thu May 23, 2013 11:47 am

West Ham, just liked them as a kid before I started watching Darlo. But with 8 West Ham games versus nearly 500 Darlo games, my footballing passion is virtually all with Darlo. Also keep an eye out for Motherwell due to being mates with a few Well fans, and I've been to a handful of games.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Thu May 23, 2013 4:01 pm

fat tony wrote:
BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:
Jazz Maverick wrote:Fulham.

I have a season ticket and they appear to be the top flight club that has been least cuntified by modern football

I had a Fulham season ticket a few years ago for the same reason you're thinking and probably why Jazz has one too, and it does serve a purpose - regular Prem footy, reasonably cheap, great location (scenery, nearby pubs etc.) Still felt a bit soulless though. I was in the Hammersmith end, which is supposedly the main 'singing' bit, but came to the conclusion that most people around me were doing the same thing I was - e.g. fans of other teams or neutrals who just want to catch regular footy and don't really care whether Fulham win or not. The opposite end of the ground is even designated for 'neutral' fans.
Have been a few times, always as an away fan in the "neuteral" end and it is a rather weird feeling.

Fulham reminds me of Wycombe away in the they just don't seem to be 'real' football areas, very friendly and nice but there is something about a beer in the Crabtree pub followed by football at the cottage that just feels, well a bit snooty.

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Thu May 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Yeah the away/neutral end is a fucking shite day out, you'd be best off saving your money and staying at home.

The hammersmith can be a good laugh though if you sit near the back and go with actual Fulham fans - otherwise, as you say, it's a bit day tripper-ish and bland.

I really like match days down there tbh - loads of good pubs nearby, nice old school little stadium, cheap good quality footy if you have the season ticket, and no scruffy oiks you usually associate with football fans!

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Thu May 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Boro

jimsobotowski

Post by jimsobotowski » Fri May 24, 2013 6:28 pm

Legia Warsaw as my Dad was born in Warsaw, then Zamalek because of the staff at the Barron Palms in Sharm

ron-harbertson-hero

Post by ron-harbertson-hero » Fri May 24, 2013 7:05 pm

Real saddo coming up.
1st team after the Quakers.St Johnston...why? I went to St.John's School in Yarm Road.
then 2nd team....Morton....why? Keith Morton was favourite Darlington player at the time.
and this is really sad. 3rd team....Third Lanark. Why? They were my third team.
I was about 10 years old at the time. I only watch for Darlington results now!

wellindarlo

Post by wellindarlo » Fri May 24, 2013 7:40 pm

ron-harbertson-hero wrote:Real saddo coming up.
1st team after the Quakers.St Johnston...why? I went to St.John's School in Yarm Road.
then 2nd team....Morton....why? Keith Morton was favourite Darlington player at the time.
and this is really sad. 3rd team....Third Lanark. Why? They were my third team.
I was about 10 years old at the time. I only watch for Darlington results now!

http://www.footballzone.co.uk/ron-green ... -2160.html

BigLankyGeordie

Post by BigLankyGeordie » Fri May 24, 2013 9:20 pm

That's easy, the Toon. It used to be the case at Feethams that when the half-time results came through and Newcastle were winning a big cheer went round. I think that says a lot about the average Darlo fan, certainly at that time.

fanforlife

Post by fanforlife » Sun May 26, 2013 6:40 pm

HurworthMan wrote:I have supported both Quakers and Manchester United since 1960 and as I now live in Leeds get to see both quite frequently. Obviously the fortunes of the two clubs have taken very different paths but I assure you it is possible to be passionate about both especially when one has childhood roots in both parts of the north.

As far as I know United have never played Darlo competitively in my lifetime i.e. since 1951. They will have met when both were in the old second division in the 1920s. However, I recall United beating Quakers at Feethams in an early round of the FA Youth Cup in about 1990. I believe United won 8 - 0 with a teenaged Ryan Giggs scoring 5.

Next I should mention 2 distinguished pros who played for both clubs. Ray Wood was a fine goalkeeper who moved from Quakers to United, won a full England cap, won the league with them in 1957, then was monstrously injured in the cup final of the same season by a foul challenge by McParland of Villa. Then killed at Munich the following year.
John Gidman moved the other way, via Everton was it, in more recent times. A cultured full back, he was a popular player at both clubs. the only other link that comes to mind is Gary Pallister who had a loan spell at Feethams while still at Boro. Any others??
paul bielby who played for both man utd and hartlepool in the 70's was born in darlington . close but no cigar i guess.

davidcorks 40yard OG

Post by davidcorks 40yard OG » Mon May 27, 2013 11:28 am

Everton :o
Cos when i was a young un and Everton were the best team in the country i was supporting them like half my junior school in Aycliffe was.
I was the only Darlo fan tho :shock:
Went to see Everton at Wembley in the charity shield vs Coventry
Still keep a look out for their results but wouldnt say I supported them anymore