When would you have stopped supporting Darlo?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

grytters
Team Supported: Darlington

When would you have stopped supporting Darlo?

Post by grytters » Thu May 30, 2013 7:09 pm

http://thesunshineroom.com/2013/05/30/bullshit-rodeo/

For me, the appointment of Steve Evans would have done it.
Bring Back the Quarters

theoriginalfatcat

Re: When would you have stopped supporting Darlo?

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 30, 2013 7:50 pm

Nearly stopped when Reynolds started bullying and banning fans.
Nearly stopped when Sotnick forced Hodgie out.
Nearly stopped when Singh dropped the "A" bomb then walked away, only stopping to look round when he thought he could shaft us that little bit more.

Nearly stopped but didn't, and I'm glad I didn't.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu May 30, 2013 7:54 pm

grytters wrote:http://thesunshineroom.com/2013/05/30/bullshit-rodeo/

Ditto

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:01 pm

When we are unable to take promotion because we don't have access to a good enough ground
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Thu May 30, 2013 8:04 pm

grytters wrote:http://thesunshineroom.com/2013/05/30/bullshit-rodeo/

Dont know much about him, but from what I have heard of him, the man is a complete end of a bell...

I wasnt a supporter back in the days of Reynolds, then Sotnick, but this was the same time I sat up and took notice of Darlo...

Dont know if I ever would stop supporting us, for me, if I was ever to denounce my support, I would compare it to an amicable divorce and still be on friendly terms
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 30, 2013 8:07 pm

MikeinBlack2 wrote:When we are unable to take promotion because we don't have access to a good enough ground

Good point.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Thu May 30, 2013 8:37 pm

It has never ever entered my head .... and it never ever will ... I'm Darlo til I die .... quite literally .... it's the nature of the beast that is .... "me" ....

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu May 30, 2013 8:48 pm

AIDO wrote:It has never ever entered my head .... and it never ever will ... I'm Darlo til I die .... quite literally .... it's the nature of the beast that is .... "me" ....
Seconded.

fanforlife

Post by fanforlife » Thu May 30, 2013 9:15 pm

in a word , NEVER.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Thu May 30, 2013 9:22 pm

You can't stop supporting a club!! If you do then you weren't committed enuf in the first place
:shock:

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Thu May 30, 2013 9:33 pm

Stopped going to games after 30 yrs when we left feethams. Now completely enjoying it again

Santino

Post by Santino » Thu May 30, 2013 9:58 pm

MikeinBlack2 wrote:When we are unable to take promotion because we don't have access to a good enough ground

I think this is the only thing that could make me lose interest. I've survived administrations and four-division relegations alright but kicking off a season in the Evostik Premier with no chance of going up would probably do it for me.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 30, 2013 10:29 pm

I support Darlington FC, not George Reynolds, David Hodgson, Feethams, or anything else.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

mensamoo

Post by mensamoo » Thu May 30, 2013 11:39 pm

I've been watching my team since 1968. Im born and bred DFC. Even a bunch of foul mouthed xenophobe discriminators on a website can't put me off my team.
let's get a new FA. This one's broken.

broadsexile

Post by broadsexile » Thu May 30, 2013 11:46 pm

Give us a human rights-abusing oligarch owner or a Nazi-saluting manager and I'd not set foot near the ground until they were gone. The Arena and the constant mismanagement didn't do me a lot of good either, and I'd find it pretty difficult to follow any more if they went back there. For my money, the point the cartoon is making is that fans would have far more control over their clubs if they were prepared to boycott over important political and financial issues, rather than just moaning about bad results. As supporters, the only real power we have is to vote with our feet, but it's all too often the case that people who are unscrupulous either as football club owners or, more generally, as human beings take advantage of unquestioning loyalty.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri May 31, 2013 12:00 am

broadsexile wrote:people who are unscrupulous either as football club owners or, more generally, as human beings take advantage of unquestioning loyalty.

This (above) is the point. Any Darlo fan who has been around for a while has seen not much thick and plenty of thin. We are loyal fans who stick with it and support our club, and in our case - keep it alive. But there has to be a point when enough is enough. Extreme I know but would we except a £50 entrance fee? Singh coming back? All our players being replaced by 16 year olds? Being moved to Cumbria?

broadsexile puts it better than me, and it's one in the morning, but there must be a cut off point.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 31, 2013 10:14 am

broadsexile wrote:Give us a human rights-abusing oligarch owner or a Nazi-saluting manager and I'd not set foot near the ground until they were gone. The Arena and the constant mismanagement didn't do me a lot of good either, and I'd find it pretty difficult to follow any more if they went back there. For my money, the point the cartoon is making is that fans would have far more control over their clubs if they were prepared to boycott over important political and financial issues, rather than just moaning about bad results. As supporters, the only real power we have is to vote with our feet, but it's all too often the case that people who are unscrupulous either as football club owners or, more generally, as human beings take advantage of unquestioning loyalty.
There's a difference between not supporting a club anymore, and boycotting matches because you disagree with the morals of the owner/manager.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Stu_1

Post by Stu_1 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:38 am

In a word, never!

After all the administrations, the dictators, the lows following the Plymouth/Peterboro/Rochdale play off defeats, the high of the Trophy win and watching the good, the bad and the downright awful wear the shirt I will always support Darlo!

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Fri May 31, 2013 11:45 am

Spyman wrote:I support Darlington FC, not George Reynolds, David Hodgson, Feethams, or anything else.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ this

I COULD see how you might stop going to the match as a protrest about something but i dont think you can ever give up supporting your club. I mean that makes you as bad as all the premiershit plastics!

Jazz Maverick

Post by Jazz Maverick » Fri May 31, 2013 11:53 am

I think I would have stopped if Charlie-Darlo's takeover bid was successful :lol:

In all seriousness though, I probably wouldnt ever stop, as in i'd keep renewing the season tickets and checking on here for the results/news. If things kept getting worse than they did I probably would have started paying less and less interest though.

aveda

Post by aveda » Fri May 31, 2013 12:04 pm

I stopped going while Staunton was in charge. In over 30 years of watching the team I've seen some pretty poor managers but Staunton managed to suck out the spirit of the club like no one I've ever seen; it just became too painful to watch. Demotivated, demoralised young players played out of position and being bellowed at from the touchlines. Awful manager.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri May 31, 2013 12:18 pm

The prospect of us becoming a Phoenix club certainly tested my metal but as it happened it never got to crunch time, if I had walked away I don't think it would have been for long, born in the town so that's my club to follow for life.

Darlobp

Post by Darlobp » Fri May 31, 2013 12:37 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Nearly stopped when Reynolds started bullying and banning fans.Nearly stopped when Sotnick forced Hodgie out.
Nearly stopped when Singh dropped the "A" bomb then walked away, only stopping to look round when he thought he could shaft us that little bit more.

Nearly stopped but didn't, and I'm glad I didn't.
:) Even when I was banned :( and ejected by that nice Mr Reynolds I still went back for more, Why cos as I knew Darlo are MY team, represent my home town and the likes of Reynolds are just passing through, we are just a play things for these people they now none of our history (well not like those of us that have lived through it)and they come out telling us how its going to be, well I don’t know if he had listened then we may have still been playing at Feethams, but that’s history now.

Must admit I was right up there and up for it when we were saving the club, looking back I don’t know why as the ending was obvious but at the time I did not quite think we were saving a phoenix club playing at Bishop in the northern league, this has and still is the biggest threat to my support, but I am still here (just about) :thumbup:
Ding,ding home time...somehow DFC have to get back to Darlo.

DJS

Post by DJS » Fri May 31, 2013 5:32 pm

Never, ever. 29 years man and beast. There is only one team and there will only ever be one team. I'm three hundred miles from home but still a Quaker and proud.

broadsexile

Post by broadsexile » Fri May 31, 2013 6:38 pm

I think the point I was trying to make is that, as AFCW and to an extent FCUM have demonstrated, there's a difference between the club as a legal/ business entity and the club as an, ahem, 'spiritual' proposition. If we'd formed a breakaway club when Reynolds was screwing us over and most fans had come over, *that* would be the club, not the remnants of the business entity.

oldskool han69

Post by oldskool han69 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:19 pm

When we moved to the arena was s*** for me never the same killed us but we re born roll on