Martin Gray signs new contract

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Manc
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Martin Gray signs new contract

Post by Darlo_Manc » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Great news, no worry about the 5 year deal. It's there to protect us more than anything if someone like Gateshead decide they want a new more manager from the local area.

DTID

Post by DTID » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:02 pm

Quakerz wrote:
DTID wrote:
TheFriendlyFan wrote:
Spyman wrote:
DTID wrote: I don't think his long term commitment to the club was ever in question. A 5 year contract is too excessive for our level. My concern is that it could kill our club again if we had to part company between now and 5 years time.

That said, he has built an exceptional squad in so little time he's spent as manager - a squad which I'd expect to be challenging for promotion again next season. Anything can happen between now and then though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
What is his wage?

I overheard some blokes at a game towards the end of last season quoting £40,000 and £60,000. I'm assuming they were either taking the piss or complete idiots.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I would have thought £30k was more accurate.

You're telling me that you think Gray is on 30k a year? Fuck off is he. That's
£600 a week!
I don't know exact figures. I've never asked him and never would because it is not the sort of question you ask someone. When you consider how much our highest earning players are on and the roles/responsibilities Martin has, £30k a year seems pretty accurate to me.

It isn't his wage which worries me anyway, it was simply the length of the contract.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:24 pm

DTID wrote:
I don't know exact figures. I've never asked him and never would because it is not the sort of question you ask someone. When you consider how much our highest earning players are on and the roles/responsibilities Martin has, £30k a year seems pretty accurate to me.

It isn't his wage which worries me anyway, it was simply the length of the contract.

Word of advice fella, if you don't know, don't speculate wildly on an open public forum. You admit you don't know, so why guess?

It just makes you look bad. And it only takes one pitchfork-wielding freak from NLZ to pick up on this and have a field day.

I can tell you for a fact, Martin Gray is not on £30k a year. Plain common sense can tell you that.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

DTID

Post by DTID » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
DTID wrote:

Word of advice fella, if you don't know, don't speculate wildly on an open public forum. You admit you don't know, so why guess?

It just makes you look bad. And it only takes one pitchfork-wielding freak from NLZ to pick up on this and have a field day.

I can tell you for a fact, Martin Gray is not on £30k a year. Plain common sense can tell you that.
Nobody knows what wage he is on but the club. Who cares what the tits on NLZ have got to say? I don't think there's anything wrong with speculating. That is what forums are for. There is speculation every day on here man!

DTID

Post by DTID » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:35 pm

Just out of interest, doesn't anyone know when the club accounts will be published?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Give over man DTID. £30k is accurate is it?

All it takes is one idiot to take that idiotic comment seriously and it'll spread, NLZ or no NLZ.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:06 pm

I admit, 5 years is a long time, when most managers in the professional seem to 2 or 3 years on average, but I look at it as an investment and true show of faith in him, he has pretty much done no wrong in the last year, and wont for next 2/3 years, he has laid a good foundation and his contract reflects that, he has done enough to earn it in my opinion.

Marxista Fozz
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

number_one

Post by number_one » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Darlo_Manc wrote:Great news, no worry about the 5 year deal. It's there to protect us more than anything if someone like Gateshead decide they want a new more manager from the local area.
Not really, the contract will almost certainly have clauses, still great mind.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:39 pm

Haha I think Jim Royle would have a pretty solid response to £30k! He might be looking at that if we went pro in his tenure that's bout it! My guess is £100-£150 per week.

Christophano

Post by Christophano » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:06 pm

PJPoolie wrote:
The_Natural wrote:5 years is ridiculous!
why are we tying ourselves into this??? and for assistant managers as well!
1 year rolling contract at the most makes sense, some of the 'business' decisions being made beggar belief!
I don't think it's ridiculous at all.

If he has ambition to get a job higher up the pyramid it means whoever wanted him would have to compensate you or find someone else. It offers you protection. Can you seriously see a point in the next five years when you're going to want to sack him? I don't.
See, the poolie gets it, I don't see why some of our own don't.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jimmyht

Post by jimmyht » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:48 am

Why speculate how much MG is on? However much he works for it, the mans never off duty, the hours he puts in are ridiculous - if he was paid by the hour we'd be back in the sh*t again :lol: . Commitment like his goes beyond money - the spotty kid in Maccy Ds probably makes more if you look at hourly rates. And as for the five year contract.......if we do as well in the coming season as we did last - and Im certain we will - its gonna look like a good bit of business to tie down a manager who would certainly be in demand

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:46 pm

PJPoolie wrote:
The_Natural wrote:5 years is ridiculous!
why are we tying ourselves into this??? and for assistant managers as well!
1 year rolling contract at the most makes sense, some of the 'business' decisions being made beggar belief!
I don't think it's ridiculous at all.

If he has ambition to get a job higher up the pyramid it means whoever wanted him would have to compensate you or find someone else. It offers you protection. Can you seriously see a point in the next five years when you're going to want to sack him? I don't.
Much as I hate to admit it, this hanger talks more sense than most on this board. I couldn't be more happy than top hear that we have MG tied down for the concievable future. :roll: