Andrew Johnson signs for Spenny

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ingleby
Team Supported: Darlington

Andrew Johnson signs for Spenny

Post by Ingleby » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:47 pm

^ This. Terrible decision.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

kingswaykid
Team Supported: Bishop Auckland

Re: Andrew Johnson signs for Spenny

Post by kingswaykid » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Told you so guys! AJ would of been the man to convert your many missed chances and in tight games pop up with a winner to get you a 1-0 win, even if he hasn't done much for the other 89mins. Not a forward at Darlo a patch on AJ when it comes to goal scoring, including Fisher.

Enjoy Evostik Division 1 North next year.........

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Fuck me have the schools finished early today

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Liked Andy Johnson but clearly didn't fit in with how Gray wants his forwards to play.

Gray has to make the tough decisions whether some think he is right or not will be irrelevant as it's his responsibility to get results. Johnson is a better finisher than some others but let's not pretend he would score every chance as he wouldn't watched him miss some chances this season.

I wish the lad luck in the future.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:20 pm

kingswaykid wrote:Enjoy Evostik Division 1 North next year.........
Enjoy Northern League :wave: Idiot.

kingswaykid
Team Supported: Bishop Auckland

Post by kingswaykid » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:29 pm

AndyPark wrote:
No I don't think I will mate, hate the league. Mickey Mouse at it's finest. Just my honest assessment, could be wrong, who knows?
Hearing AJ isn't the last out the door either, possibly 1 or 2 more to go. I'll wait for the "it's all a rumour" "total bollocks" posts to flood in then come back on and once again say I told you so.

hoppers

Post by hoppers » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:35 pm

Its just like last season. Remember that till November we were signing players, moving on guys brought in over the summer, till we got a settled side. This is a bit like that. You can't wait and pass on players if the ones you really want aren't available. You take the best at the time and the most informed decisions. Then if things change you move on.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:35 pm

Christ is that 36 strikers Spenny have now?!

Massive decision by Gray

I'd feel a lot better if we'd seen some of Fisher.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:36 pm

kingswaykid wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
No I don't think I will mate, hate the league. Mickey Mouse at it's finest. Just my honest assessment, could be wrong, who knows?
Hearing AJ isn't the last out the door either, possibly 1 or 2 more to go. I'll wait for the "it's all a rumour" "total bollocks" posts to flood in then come back on and once again say I told you so.
I totally agree Kingsway that yes they will be at least one more out the door.

Not sure we will be in the Evostick 1 next year but thats for a much longer discussion in which personally for me it's not win the league or bust so more than comfortable that we will finish where we deserve to at the end of the season.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:42 pm

kingswaykid wrote:Hearing AJ isn't the last out the door either, possibly 1 or 2 more to go. I'll wait for the "it's all a rumour" "total bollocks" posts to flood in then come back on and once again say I told you so.
If players have to go they have to go, we all know there are some players not playing at the moment. Other than those that couldn't commit to the step up or got professional contracts we havn't sold/let go any regular first team players.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:42 pm

Paul Robinson next.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darlospike

Post by Darlospike » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:50 pm

I agree Makka, wont be the last either....

lewis1k89

Post by lewis1k89 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:34 pm

How much he go for? Terrible decision to let him go.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Terrible decision? No, not really....a decision made by MG/Those in Power taking into consideration many factors be they financial, personal or simply in the end he didn't fit into MG's scheme of things? I remember a lot of us were a bit worried when Raey left last season, wasn't he our top goal scorer at the time? In the end that worked out OK for us didn't it? We will have to trust in MG and the Board and hope that the teams he fields are strong enough to achieve our aims this season.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:27 pm

Agree we must let them manage the club and support their decision, I am sure the whole thing will have been properly thought out

mensamoo

Post by mensamoo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:13 pm

Chances are AJ was not happy being on the bench. We desperately need dosh for new defender/s anyway.
let's get a new FA. This one's broken.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:25 pm

mensamoo wrote:Chances are AJ was not happy being on the bench. We desperately need dosh for new defender/s anyway.
AJ was never on the bench?! Even when Fisher can eventually play there's plenty of room as there's a number of players who can play multiple positions and a few that will be glad of a rest now and again.

Defence is pretty much sorted now.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Yeah and lets hope Fisher doesn't get any long term lay offs as he has in the past.

AJ didn't want to leave as some people are alluding too, not at all.

I'll always look back at this, must probably the next time I see Purewal one on one with the keeper.

mensamoo

Post by mensamoo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:02 pm

divas wrote:
mensamoo wrote:Chances are AJ was not happy being on the bench. We desperately need dosh for new defender/s anyway.
AJ was never on the bench?! Even when Fisher can eventually play there's plenty of room as there's a number of players who can play multiple positions and a few that will be glad of a rest now and again.

Defence is pretty much sorted now.
So where was it when Prescot scored their second? I think it needs to be up to last year's standard at least, and it would be nice if Mr White was available for all games. Im glad if AJ wasn't pushed. I admired him.
let's get a new FA. This one's broken.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:04 pm

You may not think the defence is up to scratch but I can't see Gray doing much else now he has White and Pilatos.

Watching Monday's game it looked relatively fine to me, the centre of midfield and lack of options to change the forward line were more of a worry for me

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:09 pm

kingswaykid wrote:Told you so guys! AJ would of been the man to convert your many missed chances and in tight games pop up with a winner to get you a 1-0 win, even if he hasn't done much for the other 89mins. Not a forward at Darlo a patch on AJ when it comes to goal scoring, including Fisher.

We wouldn't have created our many missed chances with him in the team over others though....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Spyman wrote:
kingswaykid wrote:Told you so guys! AJ would of been the man to convert your many missed chances and in tight games pop up with a winner to get you a 1-0 win, even if he hasn't done much for the other 89mins. Not a forward at Darlo a patch on AJ when it comes to goal scoring, including Fisher.

We wouldn't have created our many missed chances with him in the team over others though....

I've heard this from a few people and don't believe it for one minute. You'd think AJ didn't move! How's he scored the goals he has in previous seasons if nothing is created when he plays up front? We may create a few chances less but we'd be more likely to take one.

What's better, 4 chances and 1 goal or 7 chances and none as happened on Monday? Goals win games, not chances.

Let's just hope Fisher does both - there's a lot riding on his shoulders.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:36 pm

AJ on Twitter

Q Why did you really leave?

@AndyJohnson_86: I don't know myself, wasn't my choice. you best ask MG I was quite happy

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Last edited by Ingleby on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:42 pm

Ingleby wrote:AJ on Twitter

@AndyJohnson_86: I don't know myself, wasn't my choice. you best ask MG I was quite happy
No surprise but what ever the reason it won't change anything Johnson will be playing for Spenny, MG will be Darlo manager and we will all want to win on Saturday.

For the rest of the season are we going to say if AJ was playing we would of won. Time to move on and support the Club and players who play for it.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Do you think this is going to change something somehow.

Would it not have been worse if it had been his decision to force a move in some way and we'd actually wanted/needed him?

I trust that MG knows what he is doing and that he has seen something in Fisher that means he thinks we don't need Johnson.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:08 pm

lo36789 wrote:

Would it not have been worse if it had been his decision to force a move in some way and we'd actually wanted/needed him?

I trust that MG knows what he is doing and that he has seen something in Fisher that means he thinks we don't need Johnson.
Change nothing. But it might stop people on here saying it might have been his decision.

AJ is streets ahead of Dowson and SJ, regardless of what Fisher does.

Done now.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Ingleby wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Change nothing. But it might stop people on here saying it might have been his decision.

Done now.
Streets ahead in your opinion but not MG or everyone else but that's football game of opinions.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:11 pm

Ingleby wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Done now.
In your opinion. In my opinion Dowson is a far more complete footballer, although Johnson is a better finisher. Dowson also fits into our current style of play better.

Among certain sections of our fanbase Johnson has turned into a sort of demigod who never missed chances. He is a good finisher, and I'm disappointed he has gone, but we have scored plenty of goals without him, he has missed chances, Gray hasn't got many decisions wrong so far, and there was a club willing to pay money for a player who, once Fisher gets clearance, may not get much game time. I'm sorry to see Johnson go, but overall I think the club has done OK.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:59 pm

divas wrote:
Spyman wrote:

I've heard this from a few people and don't believe it for one minute. You'd think AJ didn't move! How's he scored the goals he has in previous seasons if nothing is created when he plays up front? We may create a few chances less but we'd be more likely to take one.

What's better, 4 chances and 1 goal or 7 chances and none as happened on Monday? Goals win games, not chances.

Let's just hope Fisher does both - there's a lot riding on his shoulders.
Both arguments are just speculation though.

I'm just trying to balance out the 'Johnson would've scored every chance created' theory.

It seems Johnson's goals per games ratio is similar to Dowson and Purewal (not sure on the stats, but that's how it looks from afar). So by that logic, if he's so much more clinical he must be presented with far fewer chances to score.

You could say he'd score 1 in 4, but who is to say we'd have created 4, and is there any guarantee he'd score?

All ifs and buts, but I'll trust Martin Gray for now.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC