Giddings, Mulligan and Diop

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakerz
Team Supported: Darlington

Giddings, Mulligan and Diop

Post by Quakerz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:18 pm

What's the verdict then?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

loan_star

Re: Giddings, Mulligan and Diop

Post by loan_star » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:23 pm

Diop was a disappointment but did get clattered by Branston (I think) in the first half. Mulligan & Gididngs both were steady away. All 3 need more time to settle into the team.

SuperQuaker

Post by SuperQuaker » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:32 pm

I think Diop could be OK once he realises how physical league 2 is. He was muscled out of a few challenges today, maybe needs to put himself about a bit more. Judging by his size he shouldn't lack strength, but needs to use it. Plenty of skill and a decent first touch it seemed to me.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!

Shieldsy

Post by Shieldsy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:34 pm

Giddings was excellent imo. Great communication and defensively sound as well. Not far off being MotM, didn't give their winger a sniff all game, and had to do extra on some occasions when Thomas didn't track back.

Diop seems to have a decent touch and does have a better work ethic than Ndumbu, but he needs to put a bit of time in at the gym as he was muscled off the ball a fair few times.

princebishop

Post by princebishop » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Giddings looked solid, as did the back four. Mulligan has a decent first touch and awareness. Used the ball well, but lacked fitness and doesn't have much pace. Diop has a great touch, but was shocked by how physical it was and took too much time on the ball.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:22 pm

I also thought Giddings could easily have been MOM. Their winger never beat him once, and he also won a few headers at corners. Didn't support the front men much, but definately made the left side look stronger.

Mulligan is going to be a very good signing. Excellent touch on the ball, makes some great runs, uses the ball well, and did his share doubling up on their winger, Phillips, who was easily the best player on the pitch. He and Corey Barnes did really well, as he could have been a real threat.

Disappointed with Diop. Personally, I didn't think his touch was that great. I think Branston realised early on if he crunched him he would be no real threat, and that's what happened. He was looking for the tackle rather than the ball. Consequently, whenever the ball went up front, it didn't stick.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:40 pm

well if giddings and mulligan are non league standard, then that bunch of turnips that turd brought in are sunday league, think that about sums it up really, still very early days but they both improve the team imo

diop is one of those who will split opinion, i can see him as the type who'll do nowt for 89 mins but pull something out of the bag. it depends whether we can carry someone like that in our current plight, but as part of 4 strikers i think he can do a job

biggest positive today was that 9 out of our 11 players were our own.

ambiente

Post by ambiente » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:57 pm

Agree with the comments about needing to be a bit more physical but I thought Diop did ok, some of his passing was fine and the through ball early in the first half was class. Giddings was solid and very composed and looks a real find. Mulligan did well and will get better when fitter.

Redcar_Quaker

Post by Redcar_Quaker » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:15 pm

Pretty much agree with much of what has been said above. Giddings played very well and looks like a "proper" full back to me. Not a lot going forward but very solid defensively. A contender for MOTM along with Barnes, who was excellent. Thought Mulligan played very well. Good touch and will definitely improve with games.

Diop was clearly not fit and, as said above, he will split opinion as he has a bit of a lazy gait about him. Some good touches and will improve with games.

Thought Thomas did pretty well today, especially being asked to play wide left which didn't really suit him.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:20 pm

Thought Diop had a mare, touch was poor first half but he did get clattered several times. Surprised to see him out second half in which he was a spectator as we rarely had the ball. Giddings did look very good, lots of pace.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

hodgie1

Post by hodgie1 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:07 pm

i thought mulligan/giddings were excellent, just to show they are gems in non league footie, diop needs time to adjust, but i think he'll be a good signing

moodymonica

Post by moodymonica » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:40 pm

Q,

Get your arse there and find out!!!!!!!!!!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:54 am

Quakerz wrote:What's the verdict then?
Get to the game and find out.

Santino

Post by Santino » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:49 am

Giddings was excellent, Mulligan was good before running out of steam, and Diop seemed pretty lazy. Didn't use his strength enough and slowed down the play every time he received the ball, instead of playing it quickly.

RenoRaines

Post by RenoRaines » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:37 am

Diop - looked unfit as the game went on but will give us a presence up front when fit

Mulligan - showed some nice touchs and ran into space when we were in posession - looks good

Giddings - solid game never went awol did what SS told him to

However praise should go to the young lad at left back foster miller + smith who all gave 110%

More games like this with a settled 11 and we may just do it!
Reno Raines

hodgie1

Post by hodgie1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:28 am

spot on reno

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:34 am

I was impressed with Giddings and Mulligan. It will take them a while to get up to League fitness and used to the speed I'd imagine, but Giddings hardly put a foot wrong, and Mulligan showed some nice touches and awareness. Diop is going to frustrate us! He has something about him, but he looked unfit and was knocked off the ball too easily. Hopefully this will get better as he gets used to L2. I can see him scoring some stunning goals, and then missing some absolute sitters :lol:

Darlo_Weststand19

Post by Darlo_Weststand19 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:17 pm

Mulligan class real good player. Diop looks classy, very quick and in my view could be a diamond in a few weeks time when match fit! He got meaty treatment and you have to ask why. Giddings was brave as a lion. Played an hour with broken nose good tackler and kept up with the task. All good additions.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:27 pm

I was impressed with them all, it seems that Stan has found some real gems. I've been banging on about finding players from non-league and Stan has been the man to do that.

Giddings - I thought he was excellent at left back, plenty of communication and organising at the back and unlike other full backs, he didn't just stand off the winger, he made sure he got a foot in the way of every cross and was solid.

Mulligan - Didn't look like he'd been playing in the Northern League, very pleased with his home debut, showed why he was once in Boro's Academy. His vision and execution from his crosses were excellent and showed some neat touches on the ball. Great addition

Diop - In a few weeks I think Diop could be the main man Darlo have been missing for years. We've never had a big target man - Calvin Zola-esque up front. I hope once he gets fit, he will start to show us what he is really all about.
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Thanks for the ratings everybody, even Reno.

MoodyMonica - ha ha!

Andy Park - fook off

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Quakerz wrote:Thanks for the ratings everybody, even Reno.

MoodyMonica - ha ha!

Andy Park - fook off
Fucking armchair fan, get your arse there & give them your verdict.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:04 pm

I chose not to go to the game yesterday, not because we are bottom of the league but because I needed to spend my disposable income on something more important.

Although being bottom of the league made it easier to buy Christmas presents rather than watch Darlo.

But, I do not use credit cards or anything like that, so it was not like I could pay to watch Darlo (and you're talking c£50 in my case) and bang the pressies on the plastic. It was one or the other, know what I mean?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:18 pm

Damn right I will, it's a frickin bargain.

I take 3 kids with me and it's only £5 for each of them for the whole 3 games!

I implore everybody else to bring kids with them. Make the most of the offer.

Duffelcoatman

Post by Duffelcoatman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:08 pm

Giddings - Did what you want a 4th Div full back to do. Was solid, kept it simple and helped ease pressure away from the centre backs

Mulligan - Good touch, inventive and looks like he could be a find. Clearly happy to be involved and played with a smile. Staunton and Richardson kept barking out instructions and he mostly did what they wanted.

Diop - Think he is recovering from ankle injury? Given he only has a couple of sub appearances under his belt and clearly not match fit thought he did very well. Got clattered throughout first half by Branston (who could have gone for the elbow in first half injury time) and he won't come up against centre halves that size week in week out.
@hobartpaving76 on twitter

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:41 pm

Giddings - had a solid debut and crucially didn't look out of depth in L2. Only 1 game but looks like SS may of found one of those gems from non-league he was going on about.

Mulligan - didn't do too much wrong. Again like Giddings, looked comfortable at L2 standard but fitness is obviously something that needs working on.

Diop - looked off the pace and not up to speed with L2 yet, obvious that he lacks fitness and match practice. However, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt yesterday, as I don't think he would have started but for James Collins last minute call up for the ROI U-21s.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:43 pm

Everyone appears to be of the same opinion, shock

It all sounds very positive

DrDarloSA

Post by DrDarloSA » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:35 pm

Good to see Mr Main get on the scoresheet. fitness and confidence is allthat is lacking. keep the faith!