Stevie Johnson Article

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Bogratsteve
Team Supported: Darlington

Stevie Johnson Article

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:03 pm

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... um=twitter
By way of thanks, Gray has said Johnson will receive the proceeds from tomorrow’s game at Heritage Park. Although he appreciates the gesture, Johnson says he would rather the club keeps the money.

Once a fan, always a fan.
Brilliant by the lad, great article and read, hope he gets a big turnout tomorrow night

StevieMardenboro

Re: Stevie Johnson Article

Post by StevieMardenboro » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Agreed really good read.

Being a Darlo fan he has been the player who has best captured the feeling that we are now a fan-led club. Also he was bloody good last season. Nearly always had an impact - including setting up Dowson's crucial goal that put us in the lead at Spenymoor in the match that gave us the momentum for the title.

Interesting to read about his trial too. I went to the friendly against Glasshoughton Welfare where he scored a second half hat trick. At the time it felt like a low key friendly against a team who were nowhere near as good as us and I remember noticing how SJ really celebrated his goals, punching the air and looking absolutely made up when he got the hat-trick

I didn't know anything about him at this stage and didn't realise I was watching a Darlo fan grasping his chance to play for his team. Bloody brilliant.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:59 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote:Being a Darlo fan he has been the player who has best captured the feeling that we are now a fan-led club.
This. 15 goals from 29 appearances (mainly from the bench) also indicates that he was much much more than 'have a go' local hero.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:46 pm

The comment in the article about him saying he'd rather the club kept the gate proceeds that have been offered to him sums him up as a great person. (Note please RAJ!)

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:37 pm

Absolute credit to the club, cannot help but compare Stevies commitment and loyalty to our club compared to those so called premiership money grabbing superstars, lads like SJ are such a rare breed nowadays, so satisfying to have this lad as a major part of our long climb back to where we belong. Scored some great goals last season, remembered one at HP where he hit a volley into the roof of the net, great strike. Always has time for a chat and a photo, hope he makes some money from Wednesday night, sadly I cannot make it but would like to give a tenner into the match receipts which is what I would have spent.
Cracking lad, Darlo legend.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:19 pm

bga wrote:The comment in the article about him saying he'd rather the club kept the gate proceeds that have been offered to him sums him up as a great person. (Note please RAJ!)

If S.J. bounces the proceeds back to the club then he is indeed a top man. I'm sure Raj Singh would do likewise :roll: :roll:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:52 pm

bga wrote:The comment in the article about him saying he'd rather the club kept the gate proceeds that have been offered to him sums him up as a great person. (Note please RAJ!)
Why would we host a testimonial match for Raj?

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:56 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Why would we host a testimonial match for Raj?
For being our greatest chairman of all times obviously, where have you been the last 4-5 years? ;)
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:47 pm

If he does refuse the money from the game, then the club should at the very least, give him a free season ticket for the rest of this season and next. Well done Stevie. I owe you a couple of pints next time I'm up. :roll:

charlie

Post by charlie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:44 pm

I'm gonna miss Stevie, as part of the fundraising group Stevie has always been one of the players we could call on to attend fundraising events, work allowing of course and always happy to pose for pictures with supporters in fact happy to do just about anything we asked, from drawing the raffle tickets etc . Going to be a big miss but he'll always be part of the Darlo family to me x

Ælla

Post by Ælla » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:02 pm

All the best of wishes to Stevie and his family. A great player and supporter of the club. Football needs more people like him. It is also good of him to refuse the takings from tomorrows game in favour of the club. While it is a nice gesture from Martin to offer it I have to wonder if it is completely wise when the club is struggling financially and we the fans are giving what we can to keep the club afloat. It looks like I'm having it both ways as I support giving Stevie a good send off but I would be more careful than to be throwing too much club money around when there isn't much. I'd rather a bucket collection or something for him.