Short Term Future

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

m62exile
Posts: 2173
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:11 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by m62exile » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:59 pm

The key point I took away from the pitches is the reminder that the equity raised through the initial fundraising left us £88k short before we started. I am starting to feel confident about the way ahead but only if we can get rid if the millstone of debt around our necks.

This will not be easy, and success is by no means guaranteed, but it is possible if everyone is able to pull together and do what they can.

Call me an optimist, but we are looking strong again on the pitch with several juicy home games to come, so I'm hopeful we can attract some decent crowds in the months ahead.

notgnilrad
Posts: 744
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by notgnilrad » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:02 pm

The next few months is the most important ever in Darlington FC history, we can do this get over this massive hurdle and we can then finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

ted_do
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by ted_do » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:
Quakerz wrote:So if we don't raise the 50 grand...what happens?
We cease to exist. There are probably some options to explore before we get to that point though.

It's actually 100k we are aiming for but half of would see us ok for now.

What I think is really important is that all of us on Uncovered and other hardcore DFC fans focus on the positive things we can achieve if we work together. This is our club and over the next few months if we work together we can secure its long term future and be back playing in Darlo next season.

To me this is the final hurdle, after all we've been through the last few years it would be devastating to fail now.
If the club were to go bust then what would be the point of the CIC, lots of us have put £100 into the CIC, ££ into buckets, yet more is needed for the football club to survive.... will it ever end ? is this the future for all Darlo fans ?. I hope there is a plan B as I dont think the average fan will keep donating.
Don`t the CIC have some funds and shouldn't they be used for the football club.

BlackandwhiteBOB
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:11 pm

ted_do wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:
Quakerz wrote:So if we don't raise the 50 grand...what happens?
We cease to exist. There are probably some options to explore before we get to that point though.

It's actually 100k we are aiming for but half of would see us ok for now.

What I think is really important is that all of us on Uncovered and other hardcore DFC fans focus on the positive things we can achieve if we work together. This is our club and over the next few months if we work together we can secure its long term future and be back playing in Darlo next season.

To me this is the final hurdle, after all we've been through the last few years it would be devastating to fail now.
If the club were to go bust then what would be the point of the CIC, lots of us have put £100 into the CIC, ££ into buckets, yet more is needed for the football club to survive.... will it ever end ? is this the future for all Darlo fans ?. I hope there is a plan B as I dont think the average fan will keep donating.
Don`t the CIC have some funds and shouldn't they be used for the football club.
They already have been used. It's been common knowledge for a while that more would be needed. Let's just do it!

Dfc Dfc Dfc
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by Dfc Dfc Dfc » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:15 pm

darlodog wrote:Reading the Echo it seems that the 1883 square knot pitch is aimed at the more affluent fan and will go to paying off debt and keeping the club alive. The CICs Back2Darlo is simply to fund the redevelopment of Blackwell Meadows. Makes sense I suppose, if they get 10 business men to lob £5k a piece in job done and the everyday fan like me can put £20 a month into back2darlo as that's all I can afford.
The offers below
£500 - share, £50 club shop voucher, 2 hospitality packages for 4
£250 - share, £25 club shop voucher, 2 hospitality packages for 2
£100 - share, £15 club shop voucher

Aren't aimed at business men.

Everyday fans like me can invest £100 and receive their share in DFC with a voucher too...... Happy days!

darlodog
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by darlodog » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:17 pm

BlackandwhiteBOB wrote:
ted_do wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:
Quakerz wrote:So if we don't raise the 50 grand...what happens?
We cease to exist. There are probably some options to explore before we get to that point though.

It's actually 100k we are aiming for but half of would see us ok for now.

What I think is really important is that all of us on Uncovered and other hardcore DFC fans focus on the positive things we can achieve if we work together. This is our club and over the next few months if we work together we can secure its long term future and be back playing in Darlo next season.

To me this is the final hurdle, after all we've been through the last few years it would be devastating to fail now.
If the club were to go bust then what would be the point of the CIC, lots of us have put £100 into the CIC, ££ into buckets, yet more is needed for the football club to survive.... will it ever end ? is this the future for all Darlo fans ?. I hope there is a plan B as I dont think the average fan will keep donating.
Don`t the CIC have some funds and shouldn't they be used for the football club.
They already have been used. It's been common knowledge for a while that more would be needed. Let's just do it!
Isn't the supporters club sat on some money as well?

ted_do
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by ted_do » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:17 pm

Could Darlington FC 1883 take out a CVA and reform debt free as Darlington AFC, as I would rather see 100 grand going towards a new ground and not to pay for Arno`s new swimming pool.

al_quaker
Posts: 5530
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by al_quaker » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:18 pm

Interesting reading.

This is a big few months for the football club. If we can raise a decent amount of funds for debt repayment and Blackwell Meadows, then we will be very close to what we all want - a fan owned Darlington Football Club playing in it's home town, working its way back up the leagues in a sustainable manner. Once we get rid of the historic debt we will be flying.

The club has presented this squareknot pitch in a very professional manner - credit to whoever put it together. Hopefully it gets the support that the club needs.

User avatar
Robbie Painter
Posts: 2282
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:37 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:24 pm

Dfc Dfc Dfc wrote:
darlodog wrote:Reading the Echo it seems that the 1883 square knot pitch is aimed at the more affluent fan and will go to paying off debt and keeping the club alive. The CICs Back2Darlo is simply to fund the redevelopment of Blackwell Meadows. Makes sense I suppose, if they get 10 business men to lob £5k a piece in job done and the everyday fan like me can put £20 a month into back2darlo as that's all I can afford.
The offers below
£500 - share, £50 club shop voucher, 2 hospitality packages for 4
£250 - share, £25 club shop voucher, 2 hospitality packages for 2
£100 - share, £15 club shop voucher

Aren't aimed at business men.

Everyday fans like me can invest £100 and receive their share in DFC with a voucher too...... Happy days!
darlodog - there is also an option to make monthly payments (the copy and paste seems to have mucked the formatting up):

"Monthly Standing Order
Fans who would prefer to donate either one off or regular monthly amounts directly into Darlington 1883 Limited are now able to do so. The amount to be donated is at the discre4on of each individual.
In return for individuals dona4ng up to various financial milestones, over periods of 4me that suit their par4cular circumstances, the club will provide the following rewards in return
• On dona4ng a total of £100 through the Development Fund, the donor will receive a £15 voucher for the club shop
• On dona4ng a total of £250 through the Development Fund, the donor will receive a £25 voucher for the club shop,
together with 2 hospitality packages for 2 people
• On dona4ng a total of £500 through the Development Fund, the donor will receive a £50 voucher for the club shop, together with 2 hospitality packages for 2 people
Standing order forms are available at Quaker Retail, downloadable from the website and at all home matches. Amounts to be invested are at the discre4on of each individual.
Donors will be en4tled to claim their reward once the milestone has been reached. Once a reward has been reclaimed the running total of dona4ons will reset to nil. In this way, supporters can either claim their reward or con4nue with monthly dona4ons to achieve their longer term desired reward.
Please note that the DFC’s Development Fund inieaeve does NOT form part of Square Knot’s crowd funding or direct investment schemes

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by Quakerz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:27 pm

I like the way the document was worded. It was worded carefully and positively.

Just waiting for The Echo to ruin it with a "crisis club Darlo needs funds to survive" line.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

User avatar
Robbie Painter
Posts: 2282
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:37 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by Robbie Painter » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:33 pm

Quakerz wrote:I like the way the document was worded. It was worded carefully and positively.

Just waiting for The Echo to ruin it with a "crisis club Darlo needs funds to survive" line.
Fear not, a sensible article:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1 ... ?ref=var_0

AndyPark
Posts: 11519
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by AndyPark » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:40 pm

Bring a extra friend incentive for the festive fixtures?

I've got around an extra 6+7 coming to the game with me against Salford on the 28th.

princes town
Posts: 4127
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Re: Short Term Future

Post by princes town » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:51 pm

AndyPark wrote:Bring a extra friend incentive for the festive fixtures?

I've got around an extra 6+7 coming to the game with me against Salford on the 28th.
Sounds like a good idea that.

princes town
Posts: 4127
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Re: Short Term Future

Post by princes town » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:55 pm

ted_do wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:
Quakerz wrote:So if we don't raise the 50 grand...what happens?
We cease to exist. There are probably some options to explore before we get to that point though.

It's actually 100k we are aiming for but half of would see us ok for now.

What I think is really important is that all of us on Uncovered and other hardcore DFC fans focus on the positive things we can achieve if we work together. This is our club and over the next few months if we work together we can secure its long term future and be back playing in Darlo next season.

To me this is the final hurdle, after all we've been through the last few years it would be devastating to fail now.
If the club were to go bust then what would be the point of the CIC, lots of us have put £100 into the CIC, ££ into buckets, yet more is needed for the football club to survive.... will it ever end ? is this the future for all Darlo fans ?. I hope there is a plan B as I dont think the average fan will keep donating.
Don`t the CIC have some funds and shouldn't they be used for the football club.
I think the document showed we made a small profit despite all the baggage we are carrying and debt is gradually being paid off.

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by Quakerz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:10 pm

So the gift reward scheme has a target of 50k and the equity investment scheme has a target of 50k? That's 100k!

Anyway, £300 already in the gift reward scheme, and £1,012 in the equity investment scheme.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

princes town
Posts: 4127
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Re: Short Term Future

Post by princes town » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:13 am

The executive summary says it is 50k to be secured by funding from a combination of the 3 schemes. That is the initial target.

dfcdfcdfc
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:03 am

But like Q says each of the two initiatives on SquareKnot has a 50k target.

BlackandwhiteBOB
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:14 am

dfcdfcdfc wrote:But like Q says each of the two initiatives on SquareKnot has a 50k target.
Yes because obviously we would like to raise as much as possible. But.....the initial target is 50k combined from all three initiatives.

lo36789
Posts: 8426
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Short Term Future

Post by lo36789 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:04 am

BlackandwhiteBOB wrote:
dfcdfcdfc wrote:But like Q says each of the two initiatives on SquareKnot has a 50k target.
Yes because obviously we would like to raise as much as possible. But.....the initial target is 50k combined from all three initiatives.
Yeh but my concern is that the rules of these crowd funding sites. If you don't hit your target then all the money goes back and you start again.

Does anyone know what happens if we don't get £50k in each fund?

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by Quakerz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:22 am

£2,000 in the equity scheme now, and £550 in the gift reward scheme. Last time I looked at the stadium fund there was £2,320 in it. 5 grand in no time - the generosity of hardcore Darlo fans never fails to amaze me.
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

love it!
Posts: 946
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:06 am
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Re: Short Term Future

Post by love it! » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:38 am

Quakerz wrote:£2,000 in the equity scheme now, and £550 in the gift reward scheme. Last time I looked at the stadium fund there was £2,320 in it. 5 grand in no time - the generosity of hardcore Darlo fans never fails to amaze me.
Here here! The Darlo's on the up

spen666
Posts: 1711
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by spen666 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:57 am

ted_do wrote:Could Darlington FC 1883 take out a CVA and reform debt free as Darlington AFC, as I would rather see 100 grand going towards a new ground and not to pay for Arno`s new swimming pool.
You are confusing 2 different things.

If the club entered a cva they would not be reforming as AFC Carlo.

Darlo

banktopp
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Hereford

Re: Short Term Future

Post by banktopp » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:07 am

Back in the dark days I invested in Crowdcube . Got my money back when it failed and have been sat on most of it since. Did invest into CIC and 1883 but nothing like the amount that went into Crowdcube, as to be honest I was not sure how well we could succeed going forward with inherited debt.
This latest initiative is what I have been waiting for to re-invest. Having read the proposal and our accounts I'm confident this isn't a short term fix but a long term strategy securing Darlington F.C's future.
If I read it correctly the dead line for investment in the Squareknot scheme is Jan 17th, not long. Mind if I remember Crowdcube , the initial large rush to invest soon flatlined at around £300,000. If only.

feethams flyer
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:28 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by feethams flyer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:24 pm

so if we can't manage at this level with our crowds what is the point in trying to get to a higher level. we are all amazed at how clubs survive at this level on some of the crowds we have witnessed and we cant manage on our crowds. sorry for being negative i find it very depressing

BlackandwhiteBOB
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:31 pm

feethams flyer wrote:so if we can't manage at this level with our crowds what is the point in trying to get to a higher level. we are all amazed at how clubs survive at this level on some of the crowds we have witnessed and we cant manage on our crowds. sorry for being negative i find it very depressing
You are being immensely short sighted, and it would appear not understanding of the information put in front of you.

The issue is the debt that is still being paid back from the radged strings era. That is the mill stone around our necks. If you add into this the cost of ground sharing it as well you get a better idea as to why the finances are as they are.

As people have said this is the final hurdle, get the debt paid off and return to Darlo and in theory things should be rosy.

As a business we can actually turn an operating profit before debt liabilities are met.

MikeinBlack2
Posts: 1615
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Stockton-on-Tees

Re: Short Term Future

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:31 pm

feethams flyer wrote:so if we can't manage at this level with our crowds what is the point in trying to get to a higher level. we are all amazed at how clubs survive at this level on some of the crowds we have witnessed and we cant manage on our crowds. sorry for being negative i find it very depressing
I think our problem is the inherited debt really.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5655
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:32 pm

feethams flyer wrote:so if we can't manage at this level with our crowds what is the point in trying to get to a higher level. we are all amazed at how clubs survive at this level on some of the crowds we have witnessed and we cant manage on our crowds. sorry for being negative i find it very depressing
It's the debt that is causing the issue in theory though, hence the call for investment to clear the debt.

Since not clearing that debt in June 2012 we have been struggling with it ever since, this is the point to get rid finally.

Quakerz
Posts: 20959
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by Quakerz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Agree with others that it is the debt burden holding us back. We are an Evostik club charging Evostik prices trying to pay off a professional footballers wage bill as well as the cost to buy assets. If you look at it realistically, this was never going to be easy.

Add into that, that income is less than it would have been in Darlington (smaller gates, less sponsorship) and it all goes against us.

Getting back to Darlo with a) the debt gone or significantly reduced, and b) with a greater income for the club is what we all wanted, and what we all need to get behind. One final hurdle, one final push, and we've broken it's back, and can look forward to stability.

I will stop short of saying "everything will be rosy" though, because the club will still have to rake out on the ground in coming years, adding to and improving it all the time.

This is very lower league football, it's NEVER going to be "easy", though clearing this next hurdle will make things "easier" - if that makes any sense?
Image

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Maurice_Peddelty
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Short Term Future

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:18 pm

I've decided to make the sacrifice of not to routinely attend away matches for the next 12 months. I reckon on average I spend £40 on each away match covering transport, beer, food, entrance, programme and raffle. Instead I'm going to donate the savings to the Darlo cause. I'm still going to go to the odd special one, like Kendal away on New Year's Day.

If 99 others followed my lead and made a similar sacrifice and attended only 4 away matches instead of 21, the proceeds would be 100 x 17 x £40 = £68,000, a very tidy sum.

Think about it, if there was no Darlo FC you wouldn't have any away matches to go to. So make the sacrifice for 1 year and stick the savings into the fundraising scheme of your choice.

Fatty eats roadkill
Posts: 3633
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 7:31 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: On top of a 29 year old big chested woman

Re: Short Term Future

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Looks like superfan could be in a quandary here!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Post Reply