"Floodlight Frenzy"

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

grytters
Team Supported: Darlington

"Floodlight Frenzy"

Post by grytters » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:01 pm

On my trawls of the internets, I found this one.

http://floodlightfancy.tumblr.com/

My question then, is, were the lights along the roof of the "old" East Stand ever used?
Bring Back the Quarters

footifan

Re: "Floodlight Frenzy"

Post by footifan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:53 pm

The only time I can recall their use was midweek night training sessions...Part time reserves & youth players. They were not that powerful but useful for those sessions.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:39 am

footifan wrote:The only time I can recall their use was midweek night training sessions...Part time reserves & youth players. They were not that powerful but useful for those sessions.
Were they gas or electric? :lol:

I remember there was a gas streetlight on the corner of Henderson Street and Geneva Terrace when I was very young. A man used to come and light it.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:50 pm

grytters wrote:On my trawls of the internets, I found this one.

My question then, is, were the lights along the roof of the "old" East Stand ever used?
I know when they were first fitted they overheated and set the stand alight!!! so even that old east stand wasnt as old as appeared. It was in the history section of the old website. I don't recall ever seeing them in use much apart from when we had tv cameras there like the leeds and man city games. They even put more floodlight lower down on the towers as ours weren't that good. GR upgraded them to new ones when he first came in

footifan

Post by footifan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:24 pm

I know when they were first fitted they overheated and set the stand alight!!! so even that old east stand wasnt as old as appeared. It was in the history section of the old website. I don't recall ever seeing them in use much apart from when we had tv cameras there like the leeds and man city games. They even put more floodlight lower down on the towers as ours weren't that good. GR upgraded them to new ones when he first came in[/quote]

I think the old east stand was built just after the 1st World War, when the Forge team took over the running of the club.

Mr Tibbs ... They were whale oil fired... electricity was a thing of the future when I was a child lol ...... Gas !!! You were lucky, when I was a child ...

grytters

Post by grytters » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:19 am

knoxy5000 wrote:
grytters wrote:On my trawls of the internets, I found this one.

I know when they were first fitted they overheated and set the stand alight!!! so even that old east stand wasnt as old as appeared. It was in the history section of the old website. I don't recall ever seeing them in use much apart from when we had tv cameras there like the leeds and man city games. They even put more floodlight lower down on the towers as ours weren't that good. GR upgraded them to new ones when he first came in
Impressive, seeing as it was the West Stand that burnt down and was rebuilt to the same design as the 1920's box stand, rather than the East.
Bring Back the Quarters

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:57 am

Ahh well, i thought it was the east stand. I stand corrected

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:41 pm

How the east stand never burnt down is still one of life's mysteries.
The wooden tiers had a gap at the back, down which decades of rubbish, fags and matches accumulated. Bradford City 1985 when 56 sadly died, could have been us.

Darlospike

Post by Darlospike » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:14 pm

banktopp wrote:How the east stand never burnt down is still one of life's mysteries.
The wooden tiers had a gap at the back, down which decades of rubbish, fags and matches accumulated. Bradford City 1985 when 56 sadly died, could have been us.
It was a fire waiting to happen like, thing is we would have got out no bother, those poor Bradford fans had a 5 foot "moat" around the pitch to contend with! I think thats the reason so many perished as i recall.

Earl_Lee_Dawes

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:00 pm

Is there a photo of Feethams among these? I couldn't be bothered to scroll down to the end.

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Post by Quakers1883 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:37 pm

Earl_Lee_Dawes wrote:Is there a photo of Feethams among these? I couldn't be bothered to scroll down to the end.
I couldn't see any.
FORZA DARLO

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:00 pm

Me neither but it was quite interesting and brought back many memories here and there. I remember journeying into various alien towns, long before SATNAV's, www dot's, mobile phones and the like ..... Trying to peer above the chimney stacks of some anonymous terrace street or the tin sheeting roof of a stark, remote and deserted factory, to get a first view of the ramshackle floodlights that would tell us where "the ground" was ..... Happy days them .... Sometimes it took half an hour or so. It's all too easy these days lol ......