Kevin Gall

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

paulycfc
Team Supported: Darlington

Kevin Gall

Post by paulycfc » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:51 pm

Alright everybody, seeing signed an ex player of yours this week. Is Gall any good or is that a daft question? Personally i know nothing about him and intrigued to see if our Mr Foyle has made a pointless signing seeing we already have four strikers. Hope there are many more wins for you this season and manage to stay up. Enjoyed my trips to Darlo. Hope we are back in the league with you next season.

DL5

Re: Kevin Gall

Post by DL5 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:00 pm

paulycfc wrote:Alright everybody, seeing signed an ex player of yours this week. Is Gall any good or is that a daft question? Personally i know nothing about him and intrigued to see if our Mr Foyle has made a pointless signing seeing we already have four strikers. Hope there are many more wins for you this season and manage to stay up. Enjoyed my trips to Darlo. Hope we are back in the league with you next season.
Oh Christ we'd only just put this one to bed.

The truth is it's a split decision from Darlo fans. He'll run all day and maybe add something to the side but if it's goals you're after forget it. He wasn't good enough here as a striker, I assume we're probably worse than you at the moment so whether he'd add anything to your side is anyone's guess.

I hope we play you next season, in league 2 of course.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:04 pm

Gall is awesome. Tons of energy, great finishing BUT he needs support in the form of other players who can keep up with him - often finds himself cut off in open play because of this. He will chase lost causes and create half chances but above everything he will keep the play in the opponents' half. Also a good player to have when defending a lead.

He has mixed (but generally positive) support on here but there are a number of opinionated idiots (who know who they are) no longer regularly attending Darlo matches who have clouded judgement of him. During a previous less convincing spell with us KG was playing despite broken ribs.

You've only signed him till Jan when we'll be needing him back! :thumbup:

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:14 pm

DL5's comment is probably the best view to take on this paulycfc. He does have tons of energy and will run all day for you but his end product just isn't enough to be a prolific goalscorer. He's more of a winger, or someone who you might bring on for the second half if your 1 or 2-0 up who will keep the ball in the opponents half.
Good luck for the rest of the season, and I hope you keep up the good form you've been showing of late. It was great to see you put 3 past Crewe the other week, looks like you have your own gem in Brodie. It would be good to have the derbies back with York, albeit in League 2
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:26 pm

"Gall" and "Awesome"... now there's a two word combination you don't see everyday :)

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Gall can finish, his goal against Accy proved he does have his moments of quality in front of goal, but he doesn't have that strikers instinct to get into goal scoring positions or be in the right place at the right time. He's hard working for sure, I'd like to see him do well at York, but it depends on how you use him. He wont get you a hat full of goals but he'll never stop working.

reddy

Post by reddy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:32 pm

and do what breedon? score, what a load of bolloxs,hes a gateshead player,err maybe newton aycliffe at best.

DL5

Post by DL5 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:33 pm

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:00 pm

wylam_rangers wrote:Gall is awesome. Tons of energy, great finishing BUT he needs support in the form of other players who can keep up with him - often finds himself cut off in open play because of this. He will chase lost causes and create half chances but above everything he will keep the play in the opponents' half. Also a good player to have when defending a lead.

He has mixed (but generally positive) support on here but there are a number of opinionated idiots (who know who they are) no longer regularly attending Darlo matches who have clouded judgement of him. During a previous less convincing spell with us KG was playing despite broken ribs.

wylam_rangers in "Gall is amazing" shocker. He's not awesome. He's not rubbish either. He runs about alot. He works a lot. He sometimes does some very good things (i.e goal at Acrington). He doesn't score enough, but he may score more in the conference as that was when he had his best spell I do believe. Staunton, who has made a number of impressive decisions so far, decided against keeping him. Thats good enough for me.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:01 pm

wylam_rangers wrote:Gall is awesome. Tons of energy, great finishing BUT he needs support in the form of other players who can keep up with him - often finds himself cut off in open play because of this. He will chase lost causes and create half chances but above everything he will keep the play in the opponents' half. Also a good player to have when defending a lead.

Lol, lol, and lol!

"He has mixed (but generally positive) support on here but there are a number of opinionated idiots"

Let me rephrase that for you so that it is nearer the truth: "He has mixed (but generally negative) views on here but there are a number of clueless, Gall-bumming idiots who have clouded judgement of him because they rate effort higher than ability, or simply because they can't see a crap player even when he runs up to them, shouts "I'm crap, honest" whilst simultaneously holding a sign saying "I'm crap" and standing next to a big pile of crap. And by "a number of clueless idiots" I mean wylam_rangers."
Last edited by DarloOnTheUp on Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Santino

Post by Santino » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:13 pm

wylam is a grown man who has a weird, obsessive, stalker-like man crush on Kevin Gall. It's quite disturbing, but there you go. Anyway, I'd take his comments with a pinch of salt. Gall will run around all day but not really do much.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:26 pm

reddy wrote:and do what breedon? score, what a load of bolloxs,hes a gateshead player,err maybe newton aycliffe at best.
Spoken like a true part timer. As I said, his stunning goal against Accrington shows he has quality, he is a good 2nd striker but needs to be played with an out and out goalscorer who he could link up with.

The_Natural

Post by The_Natural » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:26 am

Christ Breedon every player has occasional flashes of brilliance above themselves it doesnt prov their 'quality'

I got 3 trebles twenities in darts once, in your eyes that probably 'proves' I have the quality to be a professional :roll:

poly12

Post by poly12 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:02 am

How you rate Gall depends on what you think makes a good footballer.

He runs around a hell of a lot and pressures defenders. At this level and below it's probably quite effective in making the defenders rush their next move but against better sides who have defenders who can pass the ball properly, it's useless.

Personally I rate forward players primarily on the thing they get paid for: scoring goals. I don't think he's very good in front of goal and his record backs that up. Whether he's been played on the wing or up top makes no difference - his goal to games record is poor, even for a winger.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:04 pm

Would he have been more effective second half on Saturday than those we played? Yes.

We didn't close their defenders down, we didn't run the channels - consequently the ball kept coming back at us. Whilst I think Thomas did quite well out wide, he doesn't pressurise defenders, and for someone who has his pace, didn't try to get in behind either. Neither did Diop. Main knows that if he did that, he wouldn't last 90 mins, so saves himself.

Gall is far from "awesome", however he gave us something we don't now have, which was the option to put it in the corners and have the opposition defence pressurised, facing their own goal.

Playing Devils Advocate, Thomas' goals ratio can't be any better than Gall's, if that's what you're judged on, and he doesn't have the same work ethic. How long before the knives are out for him?

divas

Post by divas » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:04 pm

christ i thought we'd seen the end of this when he left

no one was ever criticising his workrate - yes he would have been useful when we were winning and wanting to defend from the front - just like blundell was

trouble is when he was here we couldnt get in front as he could never score the goals - its no use having a striker that can only defend - you need to do both - which at the moment we dont really have, but i'd take a goalscorer who cant defend over a striker who cant score but can defend

he could have been 4th choice striker for me, to come and run the game down in the last 10/15 like blundell used to but obviously SS didnt fancy him, thats the long and short of it.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:21 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Would he have been more effective second half on Saturday than those we played? Yes.

We didn't close their defenders down, we didn't run the channels - consequently the ball kept coming back at us. Whilst I think Thomas did quite well out wide, he doesn't pressurise defenders, and for someone who has his pace, didn't try to get in behind either. Neither did Diop. Main knows that if he did that, he wouldn't last 90 mins, so saves himself.

Gall is far from "awesome", however he gave us something we don't now have, which was the option to put it in the corners and have the opposition defence pressurised, facing their own goal.

Playing Devils Advocate, Thomas' goals ratio can't be any better than Gall's, if that's what you're judged on, and he doesn't have the same work ethic. How long before the knives are out for him?
I promise myself this is the last time I post on the Gall debate.

What annoyed me was a lot of the criticism of Gall is based on the fact that he has struggled to make an impact in league two in the past 3-4 years and not on how he actually played for Darlo this time around.

With the exception of maybe the Rochdale game, I don't recall seeing or reading about Gall missing loads of good chances. For the most part we weren't creating any and could scarcely keep the ball in the final third at all. I accept he is not a great player at league two and the fact that we were not able to hurt teams is because we had no great attacking threat - however he was still our best striker in all the games I saw him play and doesn't deserve to have been singled out in the way he was. There were 8 or 9 players who were worse under Todd. He was not a great loss to the team but one of the few great workers in a team that was coasting toward disaster.

Stan_Darlo

Post by Stan_Darlo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:46 pm

Does the fact that he's playing in the confrance not show that gall is far from awesome! Or is it just that in 10 year playing career he has had no player who can keep up with him? He has no quality but an awsome work rate. He will not score goals or create goals as Wylam seems to think but he is a decent "defensive forward" who is a good player to throw on in the last 15 mins of a game whilst defending a lead. He's an honest pro who will give 100% but at the end of the day players like Kevin Gall come about ten to the penney.

wylam_rangers

Post by wylam_rangers » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:19 pm

I think my somewhat exaggerated support for KG might be getting rumbled as I am now starting to see a lot more balanced posts of what a useful utility player he is.

He would have been a perfect foil on Saturday when were having to defend a fragile lead.

My choice of descriptives for KG are deliberately designed to counter some of the hatred his return seemed to trigger. He did not deserve the "trial by absence" he received and put in a decent shift.

I will return to a tone of reality but in my humble opinion I do feel that there is still a role for him at the club ahead of several players who remain on the books. :angel: :clap: :angel:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:05 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:

Lol, lol, and lol!

"He has mixed (but generally positive) support on here but there are a number of opinionated idiots"

Let me rephrase that for you so that it is nearer the truth: "He has mixed (but generally negative) views on here but there are a number of clueless, Gall-bumming idiots who have clouded judgement of him because they rate effort higher than ability, or simply because they can't see a crap player even when he runs up to them, shouts "I'm crap, honest" whilst simultaneously holding a sign saying "I'm crap" and standing next to a big pile of crap. And by "a number of clueless idiots" I mean wylam_rangers."
Well said DOTU.

Gall is wank.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote: Playing Devils Advocate, Thomas' goals ratio can't be any better than Gall's, if that's what you're judged on, and he doesn't have the same work ethic. How long before the knives are out for him?
Not long - already sharpening the blade.

He is here to score goals and be better than the previous non goalscorers, otherwise he is pointless, yes?

Two things bother me here, 1) he has no track record of scoring goals, and 2) he isn't scoring goals here, or looking like it.

Those are the facts out of the way, they're in black and white, but to properly formulate an opinion I need to see him play as well.

I'm waiting to see him play before slicing and dicing him, but he needs to look useful.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:10 pm

wylam_rangers wrote:I think my somewhat exaggerated support for KG might be getting rumbled as I am now starting to see a lot more balanced posts of what a useful utility player he is.

He would have been a perfect foil on Saturday when were having to defend a fragile lead.

My choice of descriptives for KG are deliberately designed to counter some of the hatred his return seemed to trigger. He did not deserve the "trial by absence" he received and put in a decent shift.

I will return to a tone of reality but in my humble opinion I do feel that there is still a role for him at the club ahead of several players who remain on the books. :angel: :clap: :angel:
Only those players he should be ahead of shouldn't be here either.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Quakerz wrote: Not long - already sharpening the blade.

He is here to score goals and be better than the previous non goalscorers, otherwise he is pointless, yes?

Two things bother me here, 1) he has no track record of scoring goals, and 2) he isn't scoring goals here, or looking like it.

Those are the facts out of the way, they're in black and white, but to properly formulate an opinion I need to see him play as well.

I'm waiting to see him play before slicing and dicing him, but he needs to look useful.
But he scored on his debut, which always gets a player a little longer before the masses turn on them.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:29 pm

A half yard tap in but yeah...exactly.

But he can't live off that forever.

Fook me I've seen him play anyway, once, I'm losing my marbles.

RenoRaines

Post by RenoRaines » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:13 pm

As stated previously, for sheer determination and giving it all you cannot fault the lad so good luck to him but he was never going to score enough goals in a struggling team to keep us up. Hence why stan let him go.

If you look at his career he scored goals in a team that was obviously full of better players and had a winning mentality. Stick him in a poor team and he cannot be relied on to score goals. But he is a nuisance and I can see why some teams would benefit from him.
Reno Raines