Lee Thorpe

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

weststanddave
Team Supported: Darlington

Lee Thorpe

Post by weststanddave » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:12 pm

Thought he did well last night. Held the ball up well and played others in. Didn't really know what to expect, was pleased with his contribution though
Always a Quaker!!

TeessideQuaker

Re: Lee Thorpe

Post by TeessideQuaker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:14 pm

He could score twenty goals this season, and you would still get some people picking up faults.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:15 pm

He won't score 20 this season, plus no doubt half of those that rate him will be the same people who hated Conlon.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Redcar_Quaker

Post by Redcar_Quaker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:16 pm

He held the ball up well and won a few headers but if he scores 20 goals this season I'll bare my arse in Binns window. That header he missed in the second half last night was a shocker.

weststanddave

Post by weststanddave » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:19 pm

also thought he looked quite quick for a big fella
Always a Quaker!!

TeessideQuaker

Post by TeessideQuaker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Quakerz wrote:He won't score 20 this season, plus no doubt half of those that rate him will be the same people who hated Conlon.
I'm not saying he will score twenty Q, I'm saying some Darlington supporters will never be satisfied, and think that they know best.

weststanddave

Post by weststanddave » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:23 pm

be nice if he did bang in 20 this season. It's been long overdue since anyone got 20 in a season for darlo
Always a Quaker!!

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:45 pm

Im quite happy with us getting Thorpe. Good honest pro, knows the division well and he'll cause problems when he plays. Im not expecting a glut of goals but we should get a good season out of him.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:53 pm

I think Thorpe will be ok but not a goal-getter.

Is anyone else starting to think Windass could rip the s*** out of league two defences this season or am I being deluded?

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:55 pm

Know what you mean but he is 41 next birthday, and co-incidentally he shares his birthday with me.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

weststanddave

Post by weststanddave » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:56 pm

The two goals Deano scored last night were sheer class, irrespective of the opposition. Both goals would have beaten any league 2 defence
Always a Quaker!!

GK1

Post by GK1 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:59 pm

good player, should do well for darlo

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:07 pm

Was chatting to two lads last night at the Billingham game and they said imagine how many defensive pairings this season will enjoy coming up against Windass and Thorpe, they'll get kicked to $#&% :lol:

Sam
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:45 pm

fat tony wrote:Im quite happy with us getting Thorpe. Good honest pro, knows the division well and he'll cause problems when he plays. Im not expecting a glut of goals but we should get a good season out of him.
Spot on Tony, a lot better than Big Bazza Q

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:15 pm

Conlon scored 17 last season from about 30 starts.

Thorpe does the same job as Conlon, about as effectively, but scores half the goals.

How is he better than Conlon FFS? The Conlon mould of striker is one that many Darlo fans wanted to see the back of, now we've just signed the poor mans Conlon.

Daft c***!

jqm18287

Post by jqm18287 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:17 pm

He has just played against Billingham Town in the first pre-season friendly. It is not the same as a league game. What is the point in surmising?

quintonthequaker

Post by quintonthequaker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:29 pm

Quakerz wrote:He won't score 20 this season, plus no doubt half of those that rate him will be the same people who hated Conlon.
To be fair, Conlon was shite.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:30 pm

Thorpe has a loooooong league career and track record to look at. Fuck what he did in the friendly, anybody who knows anything about L2 knows what we are getting, and some of us will have seen him play on more than a few occasions.

I have no problem with Thorpe actually, think he may do a job for us, he does what it says on the tin (the tin doesn't say "promotion" by the way), I just see a huge irony in Conlon haters saying Thorpe may do a job for us. Thorpe IS Conlon near enough, but not quite as prolific a scorer.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:31 pm

quintonthequaker wrote:
To be fair, Conlon was shite.
No, YOU are shite and should not be allowed an opinion, if that is it.

If you think Conlon was shite you are going to love Thorpe.

quintonthequaker

Post by quintonthequaker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:41 pm

I can't recall seeing Thorpe so I'll reserve judgement on that one. His stats aren't brilliant and whilst I appreciate he's not going to be prolific shall we say, going off what people have said on here he seems like the kind of player that'll get involved and put himself about a bit. Something which that lazy bald get never did. Not to mention the numerous pathetic attempts each match to win a free kick. You know the one's, hands in the air like a fairy. Possibly the most infuriating player i've ever seen.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:48 pm

Quinton, I'm amazed you can't recall seeing Thorpe, he has faced us every season for one team or another for over a decade.

quintonthequaker

Post by quintonthequaker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:58 pm

Not a cracking omen that then is it!!! If i'm being honest I can remember him playing us in more recent times but he's evidently never done anything outstanding or even worth noting if you know what I mean. Which as I said, isn't great. But i'll wait til i've seen him play a few times before I judge the boy.