V Ramsbottom Predictions?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

ThePickhil's
Team Supported: Darlington

V Ramsbottom Predictions?

Post by ThePickhil's » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:45 pm

So its the one.
My prediction: 1-1 darlo (thommo for darlo) win 4-1 on penalties.
Lineup
Bell
Tez
Tait
Hunter
Walker
J Robinson
Scott
Thommo
Purewal
Dowson
As you may have noticed that's only 10 players. I'm not sure who will we play in the right side of midfield with Davis, Hopson out. Maybe Mitchell and Thommo but i think we need to be a bit more defensive minded. Thoughts?

Sidarlo

Re: V Ramsbottom Predictions?

Post by Sidarlo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:50 pm

I think we will win 1-0, if it goes to penalties im not watching, Rochdale was too painful.

I think Gray will start with your team + Brown in midfield, Id go for Mitchell but convinced he will start 4-3-1-2

ThePickhil's

Post by ThePickhil's » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:53 pm

I was at Rochdale too. Still haven't really got over that one :cry:

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Sidarlo wrote:I think we will win 1-0, if it goes to penalties im not watching, Rochdale was too painful.

I think Gray will start with your team + Brown in midfield, Id go for Mitchell but convinced he will start 4-3-1-2
Yep Agree I reckon 4-3-1-2

Bell
Walker, Tait, Hunter, Galbraith
Scott, Robinson, Brown
Thompson
Purewal, Dowson

Although the only thing that makes me think Gray may do something different, is that Ramsbottom on both occasions this season have been very good in the wide areas.

Other option (Maybe Robinson might slot into middle.)

Bell
Mitchell, Scott, Brown, Thompson
Purewal, Dowson

Not even guessing on the score and don't favour us in any penalty shoot out.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Bell
Walker Tait Hunter Galbraith
Robinson Brown Scott
Thompson
Dowson Purewal

I'd give Leon the task of man marking Dean.

2-1
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:11 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sidarlo wrote:I think we will win 1-0, if it goes to penalties im not watching, Rochdale was too painful.

Yep Agree I reckon 4-3-1-2

Bell
Scott, Robinson, Brown
Thompson
Purewal, Dowson

Although the only thing that makes me think Gray may do something different, is that Ramsbottom on both occasions this season have been very good in the wide areas.

Other option (Maybe Robinson might slot into middle.)

Bell
Mitchell, Scott, Brown, Thompson
Purewal, Dowson

Not even guessing on the score and don't favour us in any penalty shoot out.

100% with you think they are two options formation wise, think he will start with 4-3-1-2 then if we are struggling switch to 4-4-2 bringing Mitchell on, as he like Tommo has that bit of a skill which could unlock a defence

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:27 pm

I predict than unless the weather improves the game will be off. The pitch was a mess at 5.15 on saturday after that downpour and even when the rain stopped, the puddles just kept getting bigger!!

With regard to the team, play the best 11, make them worry about our formation rather than worry about theirs. I would do 442 and make Dean track back and help their full back!

mensamoo

Post by mensamoo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:39 pm

where has ian ward gone?
let's get a new FA. This one's broken.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:04 pm

No where, on the bench I would think

Dunaldo

Post by Dunaldo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:10 pm

As said before the bench. Very poor performance on Saturday, not what we are used to on previous performances. H

ope he raises his game on Wednesday.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:10 pm

If it goes to penalties, I'll not be watching us. Seen us blow too many games with penalties.

Rochdale still seems like yesterday.

TDS

Post by TDS » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:16 pm

This is the worry though, with no wingers ourselves we may be leaving Walker and Galbraith open to the very issue that cost us points against them this season - their wingers.

We've looked average playing with no width even against poor teams, although it's great utilising Thommo at attacking mid, he'll be fine on the wing.

I'd go for tried and tested 4-4-2:

Bell
Walker
Hunter
Tait
Galbraith
Mitchell
Leon
Robinson
Thommo
Ward
Dowson

It's going to be one of those nervy affairs no matter what! :shock:

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:13 am

Key players have been well rested, 2-0 Darlo.

Couldn't bare Pens! Too painful last time against Rochdale.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:34 am

Purewal will start I think and Dowson up front with Ward & Fisher to sub 2nd half

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:29 am

3-2 to Darlington.

Feels like a game where we are going to simply have to out score them - I know what I mean!

If we score and think we can defend it will be a mistake. We have to be relentless and capitalise on any chances we get.

Pretty sure I called a 0-0 draw in the Bamber v Rammy game. Wonder it was as much of a stroll as I expected!

HairyJ
Team Supported: Darlington FC and now DRUFC

Post by HairyJ » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:41 am

Based on last Saturday's performance, the best we can hope for - Match postponed due to waterlogged pitch! :-)

Would have been a mercy to have had last Saturday cancelled as well......

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:47 am

HairyJ wrote:Based on last Saturday's performance, the best we can hope for - Match postponed due to waterlogged pitch! :-)
You mean our 3-0 win against Farsley a playoff contender?

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:13 am

The Rammy game in my opinion will either be a close win for us (2-1) or a massacre to them (0-3), I can't see them just nicking it.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:23 am

01.Mark Bell
02.Jack Walker
05.Chris Hunter
06.Joe Tait
03.Terry Galbraith
07.Adam Mitchell
04.Jordan Robinson
08.Leon Scott
11.Stephen Thompson
10.David Dowson
11.Amar Purewal

12.Fisher 13.Jameson 14.Ward 15.White 16.Brown

4-4-2 for me. Two stoppers in the middle of the park doing the dirty work on a difficult pitch. Two wingers to help the full-backs against their quick wingers but who can both also break with pace. Hard to leave Brown out but I feel Robinson can play more. We should perhaps look at bringing Ward on later on in the game for another option, especially so if the pitch cuts up.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:50 am

Darlofan97 wrote:01.Mark Bell
02.Jack Walker
05.Chris Hunter
06.Joe Tait
03.Terry Galbraith
07.Adam Mitchell
04.Jordan Robinson
08.Leon Scott
11.Stephen Thompson
10.David Dowson
11.Amar Purewal

12.Fisher 13.Jameson 14.Ward 15.White 16.Brown

4-4-2 for me. Two stoppers in the middle of the park doing the dirty work on a difficult pitch. Two wingers to help the full-backs against their quick wingers but who can both also break with pace. Hard to leave Brown out but I feel Robinson can play more. We should perhaps look at bringing Ward on later on in the game for another option, especially so if the pitch cuts up.
I cannot see MG leaving out Gary Brown, would not be surprised to see him play this team but Brown in for Adam Mitchell. Not a lot of creativity in midfield but very strong in defence, much stronger than when we played them before.They score for fun but also leak goals, on this basis I would go with this team as we are well capable of scoring, but with the option of bringing on Adam Mitchell or Nathan Fisher and going 4-4-2.The winners of this game will go up IMO, 2-0 Darlo for me with that support behind us.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:58 am

I can't see Brown been left out either, TBH the right move, Mitchell is an impact player who should be brought on 2nd half when legs are getting tired and he can run at them, keep it solid at the back and sneak a goal instead of all out attack and getting caught on the counter.

Jack Walker is impressing me with his passing and feeding the forwards on the right, he should be able to feed some good balls into Purewal although his link up play with Mitchell is also good, hope fully Thommo can break free but i suspect he will me man marked by 2 guys but again that frees up the others

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:03 am

We never got to grips with the midfield area in either of the two games against Ramsbottom and I think he'll for Scott, Brown and Robinson to knock them out of their stride and get control. We had a more "creative" type of midfielder (Edwards) in those two games and he never got a look in and was bypassed. That was where we really lost those games. I think the above partnership stands a better chance of a successful outcome with Thommo creating mayhem in a roving role alongside Purewal and Dowson.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:11 am

Ramsbottom, in my opinion, got a lot of their joy out wide. We cannot expose our full backs which I fear we may do. Aside from Mitchell's obvious talent going forward he also puts a great shift in tracking back when needed. Personally I want him to start.
Craig Liddle is God!!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:31 am

LoidLucan wrote:We never got to grips with the midfield area in either of the two games against Ramsbottom and I think he'll for Scott, Brown and Robinson to knock them out of their stride and get control. We had a more "creative" type of midfielder (Edwards) in those two games and he never got a look in and was bypassed. That was where we really lost those games. I think the above partnership stands a better chance of a successful outcome with Thommo creating mayhem in a roving role alongside Purewal and Dowson.

Yes, I agree but wonder if we could go one stage further and use tactics similar to those employed by Cooper (edit!) at Gateshead for the 2nd leg, Trophy Semi in 2011. We never gave their wingers a sniff of the ball - blocked throw ins - cut out trouble before it started, and kept as tight as tight can be. It needs discipline and cool heads but can be done.

Then, as LoidLucan says, get the ball to Thompson...............
Last edited by theoriginalfatcat on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:14 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:use tactics similar to those employed by Penney at Gateshead for the 2nd leg, Trophy Semi in 2011.
??

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:42 pm

One player I feel for is Alan White. He's barely put a foot wrong since coming back to the club, was in the league's team of the season and has played a big part in us finishing second top. BUT it's hard to think beyond Tait and Hunter at the back. Still, I'll miss someone telling the ref he's a !#%*ing ##%!hole.

Safc777
Team Supported: Sunderland

Post by Safc777 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Sunderland supporter here.

Been following your lads progress over the season and I for one hope you smash Ramsbottom and win in the final too!

I spoke to Purewal a few months back through work and he seemed a canny lad! From watching the highlights of some of your games it seems Thompson is the star of the show and should be capable of playing at a higher level than this!

To be honest I'd love to see the game but i'd hate to think i'd be taking a ticket away from a genuine supporter so im staying away for that reason.

Best of luck!

Oh! and a 4-2 Darlo win!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:03 pm

lo36789 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:use tactics similar to those employed by Penney at Gateshead for the 2nd leg, Trophy Semi in 2011.
??

Yes lo, well spotted :thumbup: it was of course a deliberate mistake designed to see who (if anyone) was paying attention.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:52 pm

Just seen latest infographic. J Robinson has only scored 9 goals he bagged 3 of them in the defeat at Ramsbottom! I am taking the positive that it shows what a bad night we were having rather than that we let a mediocre player do that to us, what can the others do!

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:54 pm

2-1 darlo. 90th minute winner from Nathan Fisher
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business