no bottle

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

cuppabovril
Team Supported: Darlington

no bottle

Post by cuppabovril » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:08 pm

Didn't show up yet again very disappointed! Didnt help with the shite ref but long ball punts from the off and no heart! Says it all when we played better with 10 men! Was it a dibe by thommo didnt look like one from where I was? Still raw and bloody sick were stuck in this league, need to move back to town now because attendances are only going to drop more

Makka Pakka

Re: no bottle

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:13 pm

That's harsh, sometimes you're 2nd best, doesn't mean you bottle it. Officials were sh1te though.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Whilst I agree the officials were s***, we weren't good ourselves, the long ball stuff has to stop.

We NEED a centre mid who can play the ball. Not Hopson, not Davis, an actual attacking CM. Like teams that beat us have, proper central attacking midfielders.

For me Purewal offered nothing and it's okay saying this week in week out but he is below the standard we need.

cuppabovril

Post by cuppabovril » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Well its happened in all the the big games, it bloody frustrates the hell out of me, it was a playoff semi for god sake and bar a few tait brown and mitchell who worked there socks off the rest were simply shite

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:21 pm

What about spenny last year? We need a couple of outstanding players, not more bottle.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:21 pm

TDS wrote:Whilst I agree the officials were s***, we weren't good ourselves, the long ball stuff has to stop.

We NEED a centre mid who can play the ball. Not Hopson, not Davis, an actual attacking CM. Like teams that beat us have, proper central attacking midfielders.

For me Purewal offered nothing and it's okay saying this week in week out but he is below the standard we need.
Someone like Paul Robinson?

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:23 pm

divas wrote:
TDS wrote:Whilst I agree the officials were s***, we weren't good ourselves, the long ball stuff has to stop.

Someone like Paul Robinson?
Yep, that cried out for some creativity tonight, that name was mentioned a lot. Referee was fooking horrendous, quite probably the worst I've ever seen

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:25 pm

I've seen some s*** refs in my time, but my god, why the actual fuck did we receive this failed aborted arsehole of a ref.

I just cannot, in anyway get past the logic of Him giving their player within 30 secs of the game, a BOOKING for breaking Leon Scott's foot, but a RED card for Thommo, who, never looks for a foul, and has never made a dive in his career with us.

Then, when we're clean through, one of theirs handball's it, not even a yellow. I just cannot believe it, I fucking hope ITV caught all his decisions, because i hope to fucking god his career goes down the swanny. Hope his fucking life goes with it too, b******.

I'm gonna try and move onto the performance

Before he was sent off, Thommo was just a dead stick, wasn't even really shouting for the ball either.

We continued our pattern of lofted air balls, please MG, get that style out for next season, it even began at the 2nd half when browny just gave it to them.

On browny, he needs to look around and give the pass, he was giving the ball away abit too much in that game, and they just keep running with it.

Purewal wasn't so effective in the air tonight.

And strangely Walker, seeing as cool as he's been, just faded tonight.

Overall performance just seemed that one of those games we didn't have a tactic to, and it showed and Ramsbottom exploited it.

1st goal, free header right in front of Bell was not on

2nd goal, for fuck sake, we knew the wings were a danger, why on Earth was he allowed to skip past and score? WE KNEW THIS!!

That aside, I'm more pissed off with the ref that our performance, his decisions didn't add up, he wasn't fair what so ever, they didn't make any sense, even the Ramsbottom management knew it taking to our fans.

I'm not surprised there was fights after - usually i blame the players, but how can you? The ref brought it all upon himself, like said, i will be very surprised if he keeps his career.

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:33 pm

divas wrote: Someone like Paul Robinson?
No, look at their two lads tonight, small, fast and mobile. They get about you and break fast. We've had nothing like that and it's about time we stopped playing with two blockers.

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:36 pm

Gutted.

Maybe next season.

Darlo Till I Die

Post by Darlo Till I Die » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:36 pm

We are falling back in to the trap of blaming officials. Why? At the end of the day we had no desire, heart or commitment going in to the match.
Let's be honest we were poor. Move on. People are looking for excuses. There is no ifs or buts about it
Vs ramsbottom
Played 3
Lost 3
Our Football Clubs Are For Life Not Just For Business

divas

Post by divas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:40 pm

TDS wrote:
divas wrote: Someone like Paul Robinson?
No, look at their two lads tonight, small, fast and mobile. They get about you and break fast. We've had nothing like that and it's about time we stopped playing with two blockers.
We only play with 2 "blockers" because that's all we've had for the last month or so Looking back losing Ramshaw was a huge blow and meant Gray resorted to bypassing midfield and playing the 2 target men. Even though he's made claims that this is the strongest squad we've had we've been weak in the centre of midfield all season.

Very surprised Galbraith wasn't tried in there again once he regained form and Scott back to LB

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:44 pm

We were poor.

The officials were poor.

We might have got through without one of those, combined, no chance.

I'm bitter.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Yes, so the blame lies at Gray's fault for not bringing in another attacking mid. I wouldn't have Ramshaw down as attacking either?! I mean a Hignett type!!

njb

Post by njb » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Really depressing. The thing was Ramsbottom did exactly the same to us in the league so we really should have had a plan to counter their style of play. As has been said already we obviously have a gaping hole in central midfield, which certainly wasn't helped with Scott being scythed down in the first minute. Terrible sending off of Thommo, but Robinson was idiotic flying in right at the end. Brown was only saved from being sent off at the end by Tony Norman rugby tackling him before he got to the ref.

Some big decisions needed in the summer, as we need to come out of the blocks flying and not taking 3 months before we find an established team / shape like this year.

Still a good season, just a killer when it comes down to one game and we play like that.
Last edited by njb on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:47 pm

TDS wrote:Yes, so the blame lies at Gray's fault for not bringing in another attacking mid. I wouldn't have Ramshaw down as attacking either?! I mean a Hignett type!!
That's Thommo surely?!

darlodog

Post by darlodog » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:49 pm

We were very poor tonight, also I reckon we will be hit with a fine for the small minority of idiotic fans who need to grow up. Rams players should have gone straight off and come for applause later.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:50 pm

We made a bad start, but we were getting back into the game and had found a way back into the game. It was unfairly taken away from us when the referee instead of awarding the certain penalty chose instead to send our best player off. Also lets not forget the two clear straight reds they should have had in the first half. We were in a position where we should have been at least 1 man up and had a penalty. Even at 2-0 down that's a very clear way back into the game. Instead we go a man down, don't get our penalty and the game is dead. Absolutely unbelievable. Ramsbottom are a decent side and may have beaten us straight up tonight, but we were badly robbed by an incompetent referee. Surely an official complaint has to be made about a performance like that? Letting a team get away with being rough and spoiling is one thing, but punishing our players for them doing it is unlike anything I've ever seen. Even at this level I can't accept that sort of refereeing.

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:51 pm

We need better attacking players, we can't rely on Tommo all the time. For me season's biggest blunder was getting rid of AJ for fisher. AJ goals to game ratio was immense, fishers on the other hand is woeful. MG has to stand up and be counted. He needs to make better signings for the next season or its more of the same

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:51 pm

Ah here come the usual no bottle, no effort comments. Rubbish. Same goes for saying that Amar isn't up to standard. Our defeat tonight wasn't down to a lack of effort but due to poor tactics and personnel.

The ref was terrible but a large portion of the blame for tonight's defeat is down to Martin Gray.

He failed all season to resolve our central midfield problem plus created one at right back by binning Harrison prematurely. Our sub standard central midfield in part explains our woeful long ball tactics.

We ended up with Brown and Robinson in central midfield whilst our best midfielder after Gott from last season played at LB, the game today was crying out for Galbraith to be switched in central midfield. Neither of Brown or Robinson are good enough in a 2 man midfield. (Paul Robinson isn't the answer either, he was slow and crap for us, not mobile enough to play in a central 2).

Meanwhile Walker at RB was predictably caught out of position too often, you can get away with it against average sides but not the top teams in this league. Walker is a decent prospect but Harrison should never have been let go.

MG also got sent off again, 3rd or 4th time this season. This is simply not acceptable, sets a bad example and reflects badly on DFC.

I hope he learns from his mistakes this season because if he does we really can steamroller this division next season.

darlodog

Post by darlodog » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:55 pm

This result will effect so many things, crowds next season, playing budget, season ticket sales, never mind funding to get us back in Darlo - really pissed off tonight.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:56 pm

knoxy5000 wrote:We need better attacking players, we can't rely on Tommo all the time. For me season's biggest blunder was getting rid of AJ for fisher. AJ goals to game ratio was immense, fishers on the other hand is woeful. MG has to stand up and be counted. He needs to make better signings for the next season or its more of the same
We scored 102 goals. The second highest total in the league. We also conceded second fewest. Ultimately we were undone by a poor run at the beginning of the season when we hadn't adjusted to the league.

Play-offs are a lottery, even moreso when it's only 1 leg.

We'll be stronger just by virtue of having this season under our belt.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:Ah here come the usual no bottle, no effort comments. Rubbish. Same goes for saying that Amar isn't up to standard. Our defeat tonight wasn't down to a lack of effort but due to poor tactics and personnel.

The ref was terrible but a large portion of the blame for tonight's defeat is down to Martin Gray.

He failed all season to resolve our central midfield problem plus created one at right back by binning Harrison prematurely. Our sub standard central midfield in part explains our woeful long ball tactics.

We ended up with Brown and Robinson in central midfield whilst our best midfielder after Gott from last season played at LB, the game today was crying out for Galbraith to be switched in central midfield. Neither of Brown or Robinson are good enough in a 2 man midfield. (Paul Robinson isn't the answer either, he was slow and crap for us, not mobile enough to play in a central 2).

Meanwhile Walker at RB was predictably caught out of position too often, you can get away with it against average sides but not the top teams in this league. Walker is a decent prospect but Harrison should never have been let go.

MG also got sent off again, 3rd or 4th time this season. This is simply not acceptable, sets a bad example and reflects badly on DFC.

I hope he learns from his mistakes this season because if he does we really can steamroller this division next season.

100% agree with this post

cuppabovril

Post by cuppabovril » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:58 pm

Well I'm going to be brutally honest I am not looking forward to next year, theres no excitment there for me, whether I'm just pissed off with tonight or not we need to improve massively next year with the likes of spenny and salford, its only going to be harder.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:58 pm

darlodog wrote:This result will effect so many things, crowds next season, playing budget, season ticket sales, never mind funding to get us back in Darlo - really pissed off tonight.
It won't, it seems like that now but come the beginning of next season we'll be in a good position.

I was much more worried after the league play off defeats where it really was s*** or bust

knoxy5000

Post by knoxy5000 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:00 pm

divas wrote:
knoxy5000 wrote:We need better attacking players, we can't rely on Tommo all the time. For me season's biggest blunder was getting rid of AJ for fisher. AJ goals to game ratio was immense, fishers on the other hand is woeful. MG has to stand up and be counted. He needs to make better signings for the next season or its more of the same
We scored 102 goals. The second highest total in the league. We also conceded second fewest. Ultimately we were undone by a poor run at the beginning of the season when we hadn't adjusted to the league.

Play-offs are a lottery, even moreso when it's only 1 leg.

We'll be stronger just by virtue of having this season under our belt.
You said it yourself, second. AJ's goals with that would be first. Our other forwards are no where near his ratio. Dawson Purewal et al

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:03 pm

Wondered how long before someone mentioned AJ.

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:05 pm

Its midfield we've struggled... not goals.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:08 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:MG also got sent off again, 3rd or 4th time this season. This is simply not acceptable, sets a bad example and reflects badly on DFC.
To be fair, when a player is taken to hospital with a suspected broken leg and the ref only punishes the culprit with a yellow, I'd be more concerned if he didn't approach the ref over it!

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:11 pm

Sidarlo wrote:
Robbie Painter wrote:Ah here come the usual no bottle, no effort comments. Rubbish. Same goes for saying that Amar isn't up to standard. Our defeat tonight wasn't down to a lack of effort but due to poor tactics and personnel.

100% agree with this post
A perfect summary.