Martin Gray - No Tactics

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

davidcurrieclass
Team Supported: Darlington

Martin Gray - No Tactics

Post by davidcurrieclass » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:34 pm

Looking at the game tonight it appeared we had no tactics. It looked like Gray just named a team, and expected them to go and win. Just like Wenger does against the top teams. I was shocked by the inability to string a few passes together. It was just hoof it up the pitch. Thompson was anomymous in the first half. We knew Ramsbottom were gonna attack down the wing. We should have stuck Ward up front and played with 5 across the middle, with Tommo having a free role. This would have given us a solid start. Then after half time we could have gone for the win. The team didn't look up for it. I don't blame the appalling ref we were useless and I blame Martin Gray for the debacle. We were lucky it wasn't 4 or 5 nil and that Ramsbottom took their foot off in the second half. What annoys me most is that we didn't compete from start to finish. Ramsbotom weren't world beaters. They just had a game plan, to get stuck in and wind the Darlo players up, and attack down the wings.Rant over!

knoxy5000

Re: Martin Gray - No Tactics

Post by knoxy5000 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:36 pm

Bit harsh, but if that's your feelings let them be. The book stops with the manager, so MG should stand up and be counted and gracefully accept it. I just hope he learns from it

cuppabovril

Post by cuppabovril » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:45 pm

Now looking back I have to agree with what your saying, I'm now going to bed because this message board isn't making me any happier!

divas

Post by divas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:45 pm

Whilst I agree with Gray being found wanting tactically tonight to say play 3 across midfield to nullify the wingers is absurd - that would just leave the fullbacks even further exposed.

I actually thought he would go 4-3-1-2 tonight and we'd get done by their wingers so was pleased to see him go 4-4-2. Problem is ,if you play wingers you need to use them. Despite playing with a formation of 4-4-2 the style of play was as if we were playing 4-3-1-2 with the two target men - I.e hit and hope.

Against Farsley when we switched to 4-4-2 we changed the style of play and it all worked well.

Possibly we were thrown by the early injury to Scott and the lack of options to replace him with which meant that as no CM had the ability to go past a man we resorted to punting the ball long. It was far too early to then make another change to bring on Ward.

The failure to bring in a central midfielder who can retain possession is what has cost us and must be top of the shopping list.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:50 pm

divas wrote:Whilst I agree with Gray being found wanting tactically tonight to say play 3 across midfield to nullify the wingers is absurd - that would just leave the fullbacks even further exposed.

I actually thought he would go 4-3-1-2 tonight and we'd get done by their wingers so was pleased to see him go 4-4-2. Problem is ,if you play wingers you need to use them. Despite playing with a formation of 4-4-2 the style of play was as if we were playing 4-3-1-2 with the two target men - I.e hit and hope.

Against Farsley when we switched to 4-4-2 we changed the style of play and it all worked well.

Possibly we were thrown by the early injury to Scott and the lack of options to replace him with which meant that as no CM had the ability to go past a man we resorted to punting the ball long. It was far too early to then make another change to bring on Ward.

The failure to bring in a central midfielder who can retain possession is what has cost us and must be top of the shopping list.
We stood off as well, I think we would have been happy to go in at HT 0-0. The second goal the lad should have been tackled/fouled stopped, we let him keep running.

We never put a tough tackle in until we were 2-0 down, sometimes you have to batlle and earn the right to play, we just didn't do it in the first half.

davidcurrieclass

Post by davidcurrieclass » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:08 pm

basically no plan B have we not learned anything from the Ramsbottom, Curzton and Lancaster league games. God the shock and disbelief leaving the game has left and its now a feeling of anger at a disaster of a night all round. The five across the midfield was to make it harder for them to attack us as midfield is our weak spot .We played right into their hands with our predicatable tactics

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:14 pm

Another year in this league will not kill us.

That said, gates will be further down on this season until we get back to Darlo, so we need to get a move on with that.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:52 pm

Who knows the management team at "Rammy" might be destined for bigger and better things in the future. They've certainly out smarted us this season - three times.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu May 01, 2014 5:22 am

divas wrote:Whilst I agree with Gray being found wanting tactically tonight to say play 3 across midfield to nullify the wingers is absurd - that would just leave the fullbacks even further exposed.

Nail on head. We looked best when Ramshaw was here. An actual centre mid and not a centre back playing centre mid. Two destroyers doesn't work, they need to be able to pass the ball and gets others involved.

Chris darlo1883

Post by Chris darlo1883 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:59 am

Let's put things straight last nights performance wasn't good enough.lets not blame referees or make excuses all night we had max 3 shots on target and created nothing all game barring a few long balls turning in to half chances. The one good chance we did have first half dowson missed the target from 8 yards out. The central midfield last night just wasn't good enough. Last season Gott and Galbraith were a great partnership with Gott playing the deeper role and Galbraith the more advanced since Gott leaving we haven't replaced him. Full back areas also we look weak and down the sides barring Thompson. I carnt re call a good cross coming in the box last night or even any through balls for the forwards to get on on to in defence of the strikers. But a good season all round coming second is an achievement hopefully can push on and win the league next year.

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Thu May 01, 2014 7:02 am

Gray has been found out all to often in the big games this season. Still can't understand the hoof ball football on display last night. Why did Thompson kick out at that lad for the first yellow? I'm pretty certain he didn't dive for the second yellow but he should never have been on a yellow in the first place

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Thu May 01, 2014 8:13 am

It was a daft first yellow, he did trip the player who conveniently ran right across in front of him. The pair had tangled seconds earlier and the Rammy player agressively pushed out at Thommo. I think the ref should have had a word with both of them and no cards, but, as was the norm, Thommo got a card and the other player wasn't even spoken to. But yes, it was daft to give the ref an excuse.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu May 01, 2014 8:21 am

Stupid reaction from Thompson, but I think he's remarkably cool for the amount of bad challenges he's on the end of over a season.

I don't think we should criticise the players or management too much. We've still had a very good season. We played poorly last night, and I've not been a fan if our tactics over the last few months. I'm sure gray will be on the lookout out for some ball playing midfielders for next season. We had one of the best defences and one of he best attacks in the league this season. We aren't that far off for next season.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu May 01, 2014 8:23 am

Quakerz wrote:Another year in this league will not kill us.

That said, gates will be further down on this season until we get back to Darlo, so we need to get a move on with that.
Pretty much my conclusion. i think we are probably one or 2 players short of a title-winning outfit to give us more options and that needs revenue The quality of this league has surpassed my expectations.

It might have been worth sticking Galbriath in midfield last night but then we needed somebody strong to watch their dangerous winger.

HairyJ
Team Supported: Darlington FC and now DRUFC

Post by HairyJ » Thu May 01, 2014 10:24 am

Starting team selection was poor as Gray seems to have fallen out with White who would have not allowed Rammy to engage in their style of play without some retribution. He is the one 'old pro' who could have held the defence together and does a much better job as captain than Brown who seemed to have a fixation on the big hoof up front. Purewal does not have the physical bulk or skill to cope with animals like Rammy and should have never started the game but let Ward put himself around (as he did to some effect when he eventually came on BUT WHY THE F*** TAKE DOWSON OFF as he was one of the few who was giving as much back?). It did not help that Rammy set out to provoke key players including Thommo and he then fell into their trap, eventually getting himself sent off following an unbelievable refereeing decision. The ref was inconsistent and should be reported to the FA for his ineptitude. It was so bad on key decisions that it spoilt the match for everyone except the few Rammy fans who bothered to turn up. How he never red-carded the yob who broke Leon's leg was unimaginable. It was like playing against 12 men for the whole match. This kind of game came a bit early for a couple of the lads with Jordan Robinson and Jack W being shown up as lacking experience. Galbraith had a nightmare and almost unrecognisable as the usual cool head and schemer we have seen during the season. Bell was adequate but contributed to the big hoof mentality, giving away possession too easily and should look at some of the best keepers who throw the ball out and vary distribution when appropriate. He had little chance with either goal but someone should have clattered their lad during his run and taken a yellowfor the team (which White would have done). Finally, a word of praise to Mitchell and Dowson who were prepared to chase down lost causes. They must be offered some inducement to stay with us next season. Blackwell Meadow is only a distant twinkle and one of the few things which could sustain interest in the club, given the lack of footballing ambition. I have seen a number of games this season where we chose to knock the ball around on the floor and it looked good, so why on earth MG allowed the lads to resort to the big hoof is unforgiveable.......
Rant over and now back to the bottle, (Rams)bottoms up!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 01, 2014 10:43 am

These are M.G's comments re his sending off at half time, from the Echo

"Gray offered his opinion too and was sent to the stand. He explained: “The ref said I spoke to him in an aggressive manner, but I’m hardly going to speak to him nicely when I’ve got a player in hospital – how could I be happy about that?”

In my view this was a big mistake. He should have spent all his time with the players getting them refocused instead of getting involved in ref abuse. At this point we were 2 nil down but still in the game and there were enough people in the crowd losing their heads/not thinking straight/getting irate without our manager joining in. We needed him to keep cool, to be out on pitch side for the second half, looking for weaknesses in the Ramsbottom team and getting involved.

"losing it" was just playing into their hands and M.G needs to wise up.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Thu May 01, 2014 10:48 am

we need to remember that martin gray and the team finished 2nd, scored 101 goals and got to 90 points, it was a sour way to finish the season but overall its beena very good season and one we can build on, were a few players away from being a title winning team, central midfield is in most need of improvement, sort this out in the summer and we'll be theres abouts to the title next season

divas

Post by divas » Thu May 01, 2014 10:59 am

HairyJ wrote:Starting team selection was poor as Gray seems to have fallen out with White who would have not allowed Rammy to engage in their style of play without some retribution. He is the one 'old pro' who could have held the defence together and does a much better job as captain than Brown who seemed to have a fixation on the big hoof up front.
White isn't out of favour, there's quite simply two better in form players in Hunter & Tait who have performed really well over the past few months.

If one man encapsulates losing his rag when things are going against us it's White. He wouldn't have seen the first half out.

davey247

Post by davey247 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:18 am

Few points...

Whatever our game was at the start of the match, losing Scott that quickly was a massive blow and the lack cover through injury to likes of Hopson and Davies was always going to mean some sort of botch job in the middle.

With regards to White playing or not - personally I think it was a stronger back line with Hunter and Tait playing and at a few minutes in he would have been my choice of sub over Walker, retaining Brown at RB and moving Tait forward. While White clearly wouldn't have kept his cool very long given how the match turned out, you would have known at that stage

Walker was poor and looked out way out of his depth, though their number 11 looked a superb player and wouldn't surprise me if he was a key factor in their massive goal tally this season.

In terms of playing a passing game - although I do was frustrated with the number of long balls, the pitch in the middle is not one to be rolling a ball. You saw plenty of times in the 2nd when they did try a few passing moves, the ball bouncing up to shin height and losing the ball. Having said that we had the same pitch last season where Gott (most under rated player last year and massively missed this) and Galbraith were controlling games with a passing game.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu May 01, 2014 11:32 am

davey247 wrote:Walker was poor and looked out way out of his depth, though their number 11 looked a superb player and wouldn't surprise me if he was a key factor in their massive goal tally this season.
I have yet to see what Walker brings to the team, he's not the worst player going but isn't a patch on Harrison. Looked like a fish out of water last night and was caught well out of position for their second goal.

divas

Post by divas » Thu May 01, 2014 12:14 pm

Unlikely that Harrison would have been available last night which was probably one factor in the thinking.

I'd imagine he's probably cheaper too - binning Harrison probably allowed us to bring in Walker and Ward.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Thu May 01, 2014 1:04 pm

From the few games I've seen Walker play I'm not convinced he's good enough for a team going for promotion, right back, central midfield and the right side of midfield is where I see our weaknesses, unless of course we can keep hold of Mitchell

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 01, 2014 1:39 pm

I've only seen Walker once - against Padiham. Granted, not the most challenging opposition, but he was the best player on the park that day.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Thu May 01, 2014 2:26 pm

davey247 wrote: In terms of playing a passing game - although I do was frustrated with the number of long balls, the pitch in the middle is not one to be rolling a ball. You saw plenty of times in the 2nd when they did try a few passing moves, the ball bouncing up to shin height and losing the ball. Having said that we had the same pitch last season where Gott (most under rated player last year and massively missed this) and Galbraith were controlling games with a passing game.
Gott was there last night in the crowd stood alongside Spennymoor's manager Ainsley. Heard rumour's he hasn't been offered a contract as of yet at Marske, don't be surprised if he signs for Spenny next season

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:33 pm

love it! wrote:Gott was there last night in the crowd stood alongside Spennymoor's manager Ainsley. Heard rumour's he hasn't been offered a contract as of yet at Marske, don't be surprised if he signs for Spenny next season
Marske (in the NL) won't offer him a new contract so he will sign for Spennymoor. That logic adds up for you?

He left us because of work commitments, if those work commitments have gone away I see absolutely no reason why he would choose Spennymoor over us.

Any news on how Jason Ainsley is going to cope with the games next year by the way. Am I right in thinking he is a teacher? Can he always get away from Spennymoor at say 16:30 for a midweek away game?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu May 01, 2014 2:36 pm

He never really left us for Work commitments, he basically wasn't getting a game and didn't fancy travelling whilst not playing.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:44 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:He never really left us for Work commitments, he basically wasn't getting a game and didn't fancy travelling whilst not playing.
Is anyone guaranteed a spot in Spennymoor's squad? They must have atleast 22 players?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu May 01, 2014 2:53 pm

lo36789 wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:He never really left us for Work commitments, he basically wasn't getting a game and didn't fancy travelling whilst not playing.
Is anyone guaranteed a spot in Spennymoor's squad? They must have atleast 22 players?
Yeah and it's a long way to travel every other week if your not even in the 16. Keeping people happy could be the Spenny challenge, although other than not having the travelling the last few years they have still had the squad size.

cherryred

Post by cherryred » Thu May 01, 2014 4:53 pm

Devastated about the result but have to say the signs have been there.

We've been in a great position all year and could have challenged for the title but have been toothless for most of the season against the better sides in the division. Either lack of striker power or creative midfield? Probably Both.

We got rid of AJ and got Fisher, on the surface great business. But still struggled to finish teams off. We sign a target man in Ward as cover then all of a sudden when he plays we start scoring goals, even Fisher looked at his best. Amar and Dowson have played most of the year, work really hard but end product limited. Why start them in the clubs biggest game? I would like to see us play 4-4-2, with 2 fast wingers and Thommo in behind Ward. Out left he doesn't effect the game enough, he is by far the best player in the division and need him to get on the ball as much as possible.

Last year papered over the cracks, we won the league with a great team ethic but we only had the league to play for, Spenny were in far more comps and then concentrated on the Vase. I think we need a few players coming in in the areas already mentioned but from players from higher divisions.

divas

Post by divas » Thu May 01, 2014 5:28 pm

Last year papered over the cracks.....

Hahahaha are you for real?! Absolute WUM

Some people forget we're not a league team anymore and the level we're playing at is the level we're at.