Graeme Armstrong - New signing

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TDS
Team Supported: Darlington

Graeme Armstrong - New signing

Post by TDS » Wed May 07, 2014 4:50 pm

Striker! That was quick work!

Experienced forward who scored vital goals for Gateshead and Harrogate and then had a spell at Blyth Spartans. Graeme then joined Whitby Town and is now joining us. "We are really pleased with this signing, Graeme has been someone we have been chasing for a couple if years and Graeme will be an asset to club. With ambition and success and we look forward to the new season and welcoming him to the club" Martin Gray says.

MikeinBlack2

Re: Graeme Armstrong - New signing

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:52 pm

Does this mean we may be letting one of our current strikers go do we think?
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 07, 2014 4:53 pm

Ridiculously good signing for this level - I had a feeling we may go after him if we were promoted but getting him at the level is great work by the club

Wouldn't be surprised to see fisher depart.

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed May 07, 2014 4:54 pm

I can't find much information about him? He a goal getter Divas?

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Yeah banged em in for fun for Whitby last season. Last time I checked he was among the top scorers

30 league and cup goals in the league above....magic.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Wed May 07, 2014 4:56 pm

divas wrote:Ridiculously good signing for this level - I had a feeling we may go after him if we were promoted.

Wouldn't be surprised to see fisher depart.
I'm sure he's a 1 in 2 man and regularly gets 20 - 30 goal seasons

Wouldn't surprise me one bit Fisher leaving us, unfortunately hasn't worked out for him.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed May 07, 2014 5:09 pm

On paper it sounds like a good signing. Anyone know what type of forward he is?

I would expect one of our strikers to move on. I still think fisher could come good for us, but at the moment he seems a likely choice, although I think he does have 2(?) years on contract still. Any of the strikers not currently signed for next season?

I think we still need a couple of midfielders, and maybe a full back, but this sounds like a very good (and quick!) start

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Wed May 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Sounds good.

But does this mean we're getting rid of a striker?

Maybe this is too put less pressure on thommo getting most the goals, maybe.

Tbh didn't think we were in massive need of a new striker, but, it's done

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed May 07, 2014 5:33 pm

I can see Dowson or Purewal going tbh, think Fisher may stay

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Wed May 07, 2014 5:41 pm

Talking to a Whitby Town supporter, by what he's told me, and what i think , i would relate his style of play to Dowson with the work rate. Might obviously though be a tad better in the goals department.

Interesting signing.

I cannot say who would leave, but realistically, someone has to, that's 4 strikers now essentially. If i had my own opinion, and it's a tough one, i would say Purewal (because of Ward) or Fisher (sadly i don't think he's done enough this season) But let's see how Fisher does the start of next season.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 07, 2014 5:59 pm

From my memory of Armstrong he is big powerful forward. I also believe he only left Gateshead because he wanted to stay part-time.

I'm pretty sure he played in our first friendly with Whitby (before the Northern League season).

He scored plenty last season.

I think it's a step in the right direction and happy with the signing. Well done Martin

If we sign 2 CMs and a RB of the same quality, I'll be delighted.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Wed May 07, 2014 6:09 pm

:clap: The first new wheel on the Darlo "steam roller" is fitted
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 07, 2014 6:33 pm

If Purewal does leave it'll be because a team from higher up the leagues have come in for him.

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed May 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Purewal and dowson miss too many chances for me so I'm glad that Gray sees the need for improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed May 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Excellent signing. The strikers we have are all good players but not one of them is an out and out goalscorer, hopefully Armstrong will fill that hole.

Experienced player who will be 31 in June, opinion seems to be he is big and strong but didn't start fantastic at Whitby instantly but with time got better and better.

A few rumours of midfielders at the moment, so I can see this happening soon enough. Gray got all his transfers done early enough last season and can see the same now. Hoping budget balancing from last season is not needed this season and we can stick with a squad of about 18/20 strong players.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Wed May 07, 2014 6:48 pm

divas wrote:If Purewal does leave it'll be because a team from higher up the leagues have come in for him.
Totally agree divas .... and it would be a big blow in my eyes. Would hate to lose any of our forwards actually but Fisher has struggled to make a mark!

Twintowers

Post by Twintowers » Wed May 07, 2014 6:50 pm

divas wrote:If Purewal does leave it'll be because a team from higher up the leagues have come in for him.
Got to disagree there Divas.Much as I like Amar I think he has come up slightly short this year in spite of his goal tally.I just don't think he's "robust" enough for this level.Can see him and Fisher,who has really underachieved,both leaving.

magic1

Post by magic1 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Sounds promising. Anyone know where he lives/works? Just thinking of availability for evening matches and wondering why he's dropped a level (other than to play in front of a crowd and the clubs potential)

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed May 07, 2014 7:00 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Excellent signing. The strikers we have are all good players but not one of them is an out and out goalscorer, hopefully Armstrong will fill that hole.

Experienced player who will be 31 in June, opinion seems to be he is big and strong but didn't start fantastic at Whitby instantly but with time got better and better.

A few rumours of midfielders at the moment, so I can see this happening soon enough. Gray got all his transfers done early enough last season and can see the same now. Hoping budget balancing from last season is not needed this season and we can stick with a squad of about 18/20 strong players.
Care to share who you've heard? Someone has mentioned Gell at Guisborough and McCready (but he might be wishful thinking)

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed May 07, 2014 7:02 pm

magic1 wrote:Sounds promising. Anyone know where he lives/works? Just thinking of availability for evening matches and wondering why he's dropped a level (other than to play in front of a crowd and the clubs potential)
Lives Newcastle way. Part of the reason given for him leaving Whitby (from Whitby) was the travelling and wanted to play closer to home.

Dropped a level for the challenge of winning the league and probably playing in front of bigger crowds and maybe a bit more money.

Gray tried to sign him in NL apparently but he didn't want to drop to that level, a bit of ambition.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed May 07, 2014 7:05 pm

This is what Armstrong (dubbed 'Army' for those who like their nicknames) has posted on the Whitby forum.

Due to personal circumstances and work commitments I've had to sign for a club closer to home. I'm not one for writing on forums and things like that, but I just wanted to thank you all for making my time at whitby so enjoyable. I haven't been able to send a message to everyone and just wanted you all to know before it come out on forums or newspapers. Thank you all again, hope to see you all soon. All the very best for next season.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed May 07, 2014 7:17 pm

D_F_C wrote:Care to share who you've heard? Someone has mentioned Gell at Guisborough and McCready (but he might be wishful thinking)
Gell is one that has been mentioned from a couple of people in the NL world, have heard one other name but not from the club so time will tell (easy way out for me but true).

Fairly confident Gray will know what we need and think he will get the players in he wants this year, I don't believe we will have the unsettled first half of the season we had this year.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Wed May 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Does anyone know what is happening with Tait? Love to see him stay at the club and partner Hunter next year.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Wed May 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Agree with SLM ... and as such we need to hit the ground running ala Curzon .... We were a bit wet around the ears pretty much from the off, and it was still evident in the play off tbh

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed May 07, 2014 7:41 pm

quakerste wrote:Does anyone know what is happening with Tait? Love to see him stay at the club and partner Hunter next year.
I would imagine he is looking for a full-time opportunity, Tait will still believe he can make it at a professional team.

We should have Brown, Hunter and White as central defenders next season and I can't see our budget stretching to four.

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 07, 2014 8:29 pm

Regarding midfielders would love for us to try and get someone like Stephen Turnbull who was at Blyth - one real piece of quality.

Speaking of Tait, anyone know where Michael Tait is playing at these days?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed May 07, 2014 8:34 pm

divas wrote:Regarding midfielders would love for us to try and get someone like Turnbull at Blyth - one real piece of quality, but he's probably beyond us at the moment.

Think he started the season at Shildon but moved quickly to North Shields winning the 2nd Division.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Wed May 07, 2014 8:48 pm

Cracking signing by all accounts. And shows that Gray is aware of shortcomings but hasn't been able to do anything until the budget permits. Or was able to but wanted to hold out for the right man rather than a stop gap.

Talk of Amar was always going to happen. Will be interesting to see what happens. I think he'll stay. With fisher moving on if we have to lose someone. Wardy may also move on because I see him more of a conlon and that will always be a plan b for Gray. Can also see Amar playing wide again next season when needed.

Midfield is what really needs work though. Too many times we haven't bossed the game this season.

divas

Post by divas » Wed May 07, 2014 8:52 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
divas wrote:Regarding midfielders would love for us to try and get someone like Turnbull at Blyth - one real piece of quality, but he's probably beyond us at the moment.

Think he started the season at Shildon but moved quickly to North Shields winning the 2nd Division.
Cheers - seems to have really drop down the legates over the past few seasons, he was flying when playing under Mick Snr at Blyth a few years back

darlodave1974

Post by darlodave1974 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:41 pm

Great signing