Season Tickets - prices announced

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Fibonacci0112358
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season Tickets - prices announced

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:24 pm

Spyman wrote:
Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
Darlobp wrote:
TS3 wrote:1.55 matches "free", based on £9 a ticket. Looks like pay as I go again

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk 4
For the next few years a season ticket means more than getting 1.55 matches free, its giving the club some revenue to keep the football side going whilst we rebuild a "home" back in Darlo.

Whilst that is correct, it is just as important having a steady income from gate receipts throughout the season.
Correct on both counts - people need to get over the mentality that a season ticket needs to be a 'deal' for them.

We're in the position where we just need to support our club if we want it to exist - buying a season ticket should be about putting a lump of revenue in upfront, if you can afford to do so. This allows the club to set budgets a little more accurately.

If you can't afford to pay upfront, you pay on the day. Potentially you spend a tiny bit more if you attend every game.

The way I see it, most of our support is now hardcore, and go to most games when they don't have other commitments. Paying on the day is the new paying in instalment for those that can't pay upfront - but almost everyone who goes is in essence a season ticket holder in their mentality so there's very little saving to be made by paying upfront.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Darlobp

Post by Darlobp » Mon May 19, 2014 9:26 pm

As a club we have so much to do, put a team on the pitch capable of winning this league, finish paying off historic debt and try and build a home at Blackwell in partnership with DRFC who also have limited funds, its been a hard few years and we do not have a financial backer so its all down to us, TBH I can only see years more, but once we are back 2 darlo we may see some light at the end of the tunnel.
Ding,ding home time...somehow DFC have to get back to Darlo.

Dfc Dfc Dfc

Post by Dfc Dfc Dfc » Mon May 19, 2014 9:31 pm

AIDO wrote:... Yep no surprises there .... If we want a footy club, we need to support it in a positive fashion as much as we can. A big year coming up and then another one after that etc .... Was at a CIC meeting recently and was dismayed to hear guys talking about "donations" with regard to the CIC yearly "subscription" ... :o We need to realise that this is a lifetime consistent commitment for us all. Not a few quid in the bucket here and there once in a while when we feel like it or when we're flush!

Our club needs us guys .... Lets just hope we need it .... just as much :think:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The more people take this attitude the better. We are not in a 'normal' situation whereby massive discounts and financial incentives are what should matter to the owners (i.e. Us the fans)
Every penny we get back as an incentive is a penny not paying for a ground, a player, travel for the team, their training kit etc etc etc we have to fund all of it so we don't have another fat cat owner to sell us down the river.

However if financial incentives is what is wanted, this is how I see it. The more season tickets the collective (ie all of us) buy the higher the % reduction so it's in our hands to ENCOURAGE others to join the season ticket holders. Then we can just hope that everyone just donates the money back to the club.
However........
Again, some on here are full of what they would have done that is better........ I presume these people are already volunteers, giving their ideas and working for the club in the real world as well as on here?

divas

Post by divas » Mon May 19, 2014 9:35 pm

Trouble is, convincing someone who isn't already a ST holder to buy one on the very small chance they save 5 - 10 quid is nearly impossible.

The discounts could have been structured so that both parties benefitted if there had been a large take up which would only happen when casuals who maybe attend 10 or so games were converted to buying a ST

Trike1

Post by Trike1 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:38 pm

I bought one last yr knowing I wouldn't make many due to my back.....as it turned out I made the first game and playoff semi. Again I'll buy knowing the Same will prob happen till we are back in darlo.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Mon May 19, 2014 9:50 pm

As hopefully many of you are aware I am involved with the CIC as a director and also part of the "steering group" of B2D, we have to realise what an enormous task we are ALL facing over the next few years to get back into town and funding a football team.

Fans have done and will continue to support the club on the field and financially, but please remember how far we have come in 2 years, if it means a bit longer at Bishop then so be it, without the debt we have had to pay off we would be in so much of a better position but the facts are we have had to deal with the cards we have ( and no criticism of the whys and wherefores of how we ended up with debt please).

Remember we have a club to follow we are what we are, but one day we will show the football world what we are about...a fans owned club with a future, we all pull together and be proud to stand together Darlo till we die!

Now come on guys and girls stop any negativity, and always remember this... when the alligators are biting your arse its difficult to remember the object of the exercise was to drain the swamp!

Enjoy the journey many downs but more ups !

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon May 19, 2014 9:56 pm

divas wrote:Trouble is, convincing someone who isn't already a ST holder to buy one on the very small chance they save 5 - 10 quid is nearly impossible.

The discounts could have been structured so that both parties benefitted if there had been a large take up which would only happen when casuals who maybe attend 10 or so games were converted to buying a ST
Well then don't.

Convince them to come along game by game - they'll essentially pay the same as they would by paying up front, but instead they get to pick and choose. And once they see us steamroll most of the division, they'll decide to pay in weekly instalments more often than not.

Everyone wins.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Mon May 19, 2014 10:02 pm

It's an offer designed to maximise the revenue from our usual hard core fans.

Not pretty, not attractive but mercilessly realistic considering the continuation of Raj Singh induced austerity.

I plan to forget all about it until I get some sense of interest back, at which point I will no doubt complain briefly before purchasing as usual.

The incentives are unfortunately irrelevant unless we were to magically end up at BM for August. There's no danger of us even matching last seasons sales at the moment.

No blame attached to the board, I'd probably do the same given the circumstances.

divas

Post by divas » Mon May 19, 2014 10:11 pm

Spyman wrote:
divas wrote:Trouble is, convincing someone who isn't already a ST holder to buy one on the very small chance they save 5 - 10 quid is nearly impossible.

Well then don't.

Convince them to come along game by game - they'll essentially pay the same as they would by paying up front, but instead they get to pick and choose. And once they see us steamroll most of the division, they'll decide to pay in weekly instalments more often than not.

Everyone wins.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Then why even bother with the incentive. IMO it's clear the club want to try and increase ST sales and have the right idea but the wrong execution.

As we've seen last season guaranteed revenue far outweighs speculative, especially in our situation with very little financial headroom, all it takes is some cancelled Saturday games to be replaced with Weds night and straight away you lose thousands out of the budget and end up coming calling for cash.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon May 19, 2014 10:23 pm

"Again, some on here are full of what they would have done that is better........ I presume these people are already volunteers, giving their ideas and working for the club in the real world as well as on here?"[/quote]

Personally I don't like the above! What is being said is - if you can't volunteer (there are a multiple of reasons why you can't, living out of the area would be just one) then you can't express any opinion about how the club is run. It's a football club - with fans - some of whom exchange ideas on here, positive and negative. Many go to every game and put a lot in. But shock of shocks, don't volunteer!

The prices are what they are - the trouble is, people will look "for a deal" and if the club really want to shift more season tickets they should be priced a little downwards accordingly. Perhaps it adds up better financially this way with more pay on the day sales, I doubt it though.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Mon May 19, 2014 10:54 pm

It's the price of being a fan-owned club, that fans will ALWAYS be required to "dig deep" in one way or another. I'm not sure that if a season ticket was around the £160 mark it would attract any greater sales to those who were only considering buying. It's guesswork really from all of us. Even the instalments plan from last year should be something people can do through their own efforts.

It's always struck me as odd that some fans would look for a "deal" in terms of saving themselves a few quid when the club needs every pound it can get. Granted, there are those who can't afford to buy a season ticket up front or give generously all the time - I just think that at least the season ticket price, irrespective of whether you're able to attend all games, is your commitment to the club.

The problem with pay on the day is that bad weather, postponements, Sky football, etc., have often had an adverse affect on attendances and, therefore, revenue - it's not guaranteed income like a season ticket.

And, if you want to continue to support the club in other ways but can't afford the investment schemes, things like the half time draw at £1 a ticket have brought in thousands of pounds (thanks to Glenn & Mary Bowes and their team's selfless efforts each game). Or there's the £5 a month revamped Club 1883 draw with x3 £50 weekly prizes plus a monthly jackpot of around £400 - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21985

Even the club's car parks over the last 2 years - £3 entry or £50 season ticket - have raised thousands of pounds, in spite of those fans knowing they could have parked a few yards away on the road or in Tesco's car park for nothing - they committed to doing something extra. The price of a pint every fortnight.

So unless we can get mega donations from rich backers (with no strings attached as we're fans-owned), then we'll need to look at how important the club is to each of us in the grand scheme of things and how we, as individuals, can play our part. I'd really love to see a thriving mindset of fans not needing a "deal".

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue May 20, 2014 6:08 am

as per usual, I am happy paying my season ticket. The only small criticism is that the % saving isn't really worth much. I think we could of stretched a bit more.

At the level we are at, if we had a few more season ticket holders (even at a much less average), if they are buying a 50/50 ticket, a pie, a pint etc, then we can increase total revenue.

Understand about the car parking, shouldn't be a massive problem

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue May 20, 2014 9:21 am

Talking of needing every pound, can somebody from the club have a word with the chubby chapster on the turnstile who thinks it's OK to let kids in for nowt every game.

Sure, he thinks he's doing fans a favour, but the club needs money and it's not his decision to make.

I apologise if the club have actually instructed him to do so.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Tue May 20, 2014 9:25 am

An incentive should be to entice possible lapsed fans and this incentive does not. I myself will be getting a season ticket this year and did not last year so assuming we won't increase tickets is guess work. I appauld the board/volunteers continued efforts with our club however this season ticket offer lacks any incentive for the non hardcore fan.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue May 20, 2014 9:48 am

I'd be pleased if we sold around 500 season tickets. The discount scheme is no incentive & prices have effectively increased again this season. Support will inevitable decline each season we play out of town as well. Its turning into a real slog playing at Bishop.

Yes I know the financial constraints we operate under but we should be pricing season tickets at a level that is fair & reasonable, not relying on the concept of overpricing because the club needs funding - only % of our fan base buy into that idea. Its a short-sighted view.

I sincerely hope that the in first full season we are back playing in Darlo we consider a real innovative season ticket pricing scheme, like the one FC United have operated successfully since 2009 to capitalise on our return.

divas

Post by divas » Tue May 20, 2014 10:22 am

Robbie Painter wrote:I'd be pleased if we sold around 500 season tickets. The discount scheme is no incentive & prices have effectively increased again this season. Support will inevitable decline each season we play out of town as well. Its turning into a real slog playing at Bishop.

Yes I know the financial constraints we operate under but we should be pricing season tickets at a level that is fair & reasonable, not relying on the concept of overpricing because the club needs funding - only % of our fan base buy into that idea. Its a short-sighted view.

I sincerely hope that the in first full season we are back playing in Darlo we consider a real innovative season ticket pricing scheme, like the one FC United have operated successfully since 2009 to capitalise on our return.
:clap:

The hardcore have shown time and time again that when asked for money for a specific project they are happy to put their hands in their pockets. That is how raising additional funding should be done, not by putting at risk future supporter numbers.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Tue May 20, 2014 10:56 am

Robbie Painter wrote:I'd be pleased if we sold around 500 season tickets. The discount scheme is no incentive & prices have effectively increased again this season. Support will inevitable decline each season we play out of town as well. Its turning into a real slog playing at Bishop.

This.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Tue May 20, 2014 12:11 pm

I would be interested to know the level at which season ticket prices should be set by those in this thread advocating a further reduction, along with any evidence of how much the extra revenue and / or numbers sold will be as a result. We can all guess but the reality is often different.

What should the threshold for adult tickets be - £160, £150 . . . less? Are any of these prices likely to swing the undecided into purchasing a season ticket and, if so, in what numbers?

billieloid

Post by billieloid » Tue May 20, 2014 12:26 pm

Disappointed that, once again, existing season ticket holders have not been given the opportunity to reserve their seats for the coming season.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 20, 2014 12:28 pm

I was planning to get a ST this season as I wasn't in a position to get one last season, but as I will probably miss around 6 home games, I just can't justify buying one.

love it!
Team Supported: Darlington 1883

Post by love it! » Tue May 20, 2014 12:33 pm

billieloid wrote:Disappointed that, once again, existing season ticket holders have not been given the opportunity to reserve their seats for the coming season.
Try not having a seat for the third season in a row...

Mrs_Money_Penny

Post by Mrs_Money_Penny » Tue May 20, 2014 12:41 pm

People I know and have spoken to are happy to pay for a ST even if any financial gain is lost having a 2 week holiday during the season as they understand it helps the club with forward planning. As there is no room for financial headroom and those on here would like some incentive to increase ST sale perhaps allowing ST holders to buy 2 advance tickets for big(all ticket) games would help sell more.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue May 20, 2014 2:35 pm

QuakerPete wrote:I would be interested to know the level at which season ticket prices should be set by those in this thread advocating a further reduction, along with any evidence of how much the extra revenue and / or numbers sold will be as a result. We can all guess but the reality is often different.

What should the threshold for adult tickets be - £160, £150 . . . less? Are any of these prices likely to swing the undecided into purchasing a season ticket and, if so, in what numbers?
Those are the big questions and the club I guess have gone with the option of "best to charge the higher end and expect the lower end ST holder numbers" as opposed to "charge cheaper and take a chance the increased numbers make up the deficit and increase incomings".

I don't think anyone would question the prices if they knew the financial situation and for example they knew £50 was going BM and say 600 sales would pay for fence and turnstyles etc.

If it's any consolation to most I do believe we will have a better team this season than last year and we will be gunning for promotion again.

charlie

Post by charlie » Tue May 20, 2014 2:41 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
QuakerPete wrote:I would be interested to know the level at which season ticket prices should be set by those in this thread advocating a further reduction, along with any evidence of how much the extra revenue and / or numbers sold will be as a result. We can all guess but the reality is often different.

Those are the big questions and the club I guess have gone with the option of "best to charge the higher end and expect the lower end ST holder numbers" as opposed to "charge cheaper and take a chance the increased numbers make up the deficit and increase incomings".

I don't think anyone would question the prices if they knew the financial situation and for example they knew £50 was going BM and say 600 sales would pay for fence and turnstyles etc.

If it's any consolation to most I do believe we will have a better team this season than last year and we will be gunning for promotion again.
Season ticket sales will surely go on running costs not funding the move ?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue May 20, 2014 2:43 pm

charlie wrote:Season ticket sales will surely go on running costs not funding the move ?
Possibly but not surely.

If you could add a little in and help make the move easier it would be a sensible thing to do.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue May 20, 2014 3:00 pm

Mrs_Money_Penny wrote:People I know and have spoken to are happy to pay for a ST even if any financial gain is lost having a 2 week holiday during the season as they understand it helps the club with forward planning. As there is no room for financial headroom and those on here would like some incentive to increase ST sale perhaps allowing ST holders to buy 2 advance tickets for big(all ticket) games would help sell more.
I thought the whole point of the Equity was to give financial headroom along with Dan Burn money. Appreciate we are now putting ourselves in a better position and looking to move but after 150k we should be ok in regards to current headroom unless it's all gone.

Personally I will still be buying ST's but the problem still stands that we are paying over the odds each season, which most of us accept for the many reasons but as some point out this does make it difficult to attract new customers and turn floaters into longer term fans.

We are lucky as we should receive a bounce when back in Darlington but I wouldn't be surpirsed to see attendances reduce whilst in Bishop.

Mrs_Money_Penny

Post by Mrs_Money_Penny » Tue May 20, 2014 3:21 pm

Quakerz wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Not many other clubs are having to fund a new ground so an increase isn't really the end of the world - so long as there is something a bit more forward on money being allocated to B2D - I assume that some is going there?
Pie in the sky, head in the sand assumption.

ST ticket prices are similar, sales will probably be lower, as will total crowds and sponsorships - though I hope not by much. Where is the extra revenue that can be set aside to go towards BM?

Surely ST sales, gate takings, sponsorship and match day income, plus most off field revenue will simply see the club through the season, go towards debt etc.

I meant financial headroom on ST pricing to cover costs as mentioned in Quakerz post not long term aims
We need to get real here. Taking aside any money from Dan Burn that we've managed to funnel towards BM and any of the Squareknot money... raising money for BM is a separate issue, and funding will not come from day to day income, unless it massively increases. Therefore there are always going to be calls to raise funds throughout the next few years.

Mrs_Money_Penny

Post by Mrs_Money_Penny » Tue May 20, 2014 3:24 pm

I meant financial headroom on ST pricing to cover costs as mentioned in Quakerz post not the long term aims of the equity scheme

divas

Post by divas » Tue May 20, 2014 3:29 pm

IMO not increasing them stealthily by the amount that was used for CIC membership last season (£20 was it?) the excuse given last season was that part of the increase went towards CIC membership. Now we're told price is the same but no CIC membership so poorer value. I think the club could have been quite cute here by saying each ticket had a £20 "Back to Darlo" levy which would replace the £20 CIC membership from last season

It wouldn't bring any more numbers in, but will maybe stop p 50 or so people from not renewing instead picking and choosing games which won't add up to anywhere near what they'd spend on a ST even at £20 cheaper.

You've got to consider midweek games and the fact that crowds are 20% lower and many people with season tickets won't go, and therefore it costs them more to have a ST than pick and choose - If it's not a priority to have guaranteed income regardless of the supporter attending then fine

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue May 20, 2014 4:08 pm

There is a space on renewal form for you to put your seat number from heritage park
It ask,s who do want to sit near,put seat number in that box along with who you sit
With,