Mark Angel

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

B_Little
Team Supported: Darlington

Mark Angel

Post by B_Little » Thu May 22, 2014 9:48 pm

Mark is coaching my son down this way in Cambridge.

He
mentioned that he played for Darlo after seeing my 7 year old wearing his Darlo shirt. I don't remember him. Does anyone remember him? Has anyone got a programme that got his name in it, that i could buy?

Thanks

B_Little

Darlobaz79

Re: Nark Angel

Post by Darlobaz79 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:01 pm

He played 5 times in 2000-2001 apparently

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu May 22, 2014 10:15 pm

His name does ring a distant bell. Wonder if he joined on loan. Not sure if it was around the time when we had Burke from wolves on loan too?

Wijnhard's_Schlong

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Thu May 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Pretty sure he was a winger that arrived in the Bennett era
from WBA.

Correct me if I'm wrong but thought he came with a decent reputation from a higher division club. Not sure why it never worked out at Darlo.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 23, 2014 12:04 am

He was signed around the same time as Richard Hodgson, post Wembley 2000 I think. From memory came from quite a big club, Everton maybe, and Reynolds talked him up as he did with every signing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri May 23, 2014 6:45 am

Came from WBA in 2000 and played 5 games then went to Queen of the South & settled in Boston for a while, left winger

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 23, 2014 7:12 am

He was quite highly rated when he joined us. He seemed to be one of those players we were linked to for a while, he was built up and when he eventually got here he was just disappointing. I felt similar about Jeff Smith.

He was quite good on Champ Man when he was at Oxford.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Fri May 23, 2014 7:33 am

It was the season after we lost the play offs I think. Reynolds published the wages, we had a mass exodus of our better players, and Angel was one of the signings, alongside Ton Kaak etc.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Fri May 23, 2014 8:02 am

He scored a really good goal in that 7-2 loss against Bradford in the League Cup after we'd beaten Notts Forest at the City Ground I remember.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri May 23, 2014 8:03 am

Comfortably_numb wrote:His name does ring a distant bell. Wonder if he joined on loan. Not sure if it was around the time when we had Burke from wolves on loan too?
christ I think I was about 10 years out!

I wonder if reynolds thought we were signing brett angel.

not that it would've made any difference. I hated that regime towards the end - we'd sign players with the most tenuous links to a prem club and we'd be told we were getting an ex premiership player.

and then there was the big signing of billy bubbles. sigh....

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri May 23, 2014 8:14 am

Thought Billy Bubbles was before Reynolds.

Anyway, Mark Angel, 3 starts and 5 subs. The 1 goal as mentioned above at Bradford in the league cup.

1st game was home v Forest in a 2-2 draw, team:

Van Der Geest, Reed (Campbell), Heckingbottom, Liddle, Aspin, Himsworth, Gray, Elliott, Hjorth (Angel), Williamson, Naylor.

Goalscorers were Elliott and Naylor.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Re: Mark Angel

Post by KCChiefs » Fri May 23, 2014 6:44 pm

Short profile on him here and look who happens to be below him...

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/squad02.html

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Fri May 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Did you also spot Michael Price and Richard Logan?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat May 24, 2014 8:43 am

Makka Pakka wrote:Did you also spot Michael Price and Richard Logan?
I don't think that was our Richard Logan. Peter Duffield, on the other hand....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC