Arena Hotel

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Andrew Wilkinson

Arena Hotel

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:04 pm

I see that plans have been submitted for a hotel on land next to the Arena. Can't remember what the planning restrictions on the site were when Darlo played there.

RUMPLESTILTSKIN
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arena Hotel

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Whatever they were they are now different. The rugby club do things correctly and they also have intelligent, business-wise professionals. Something we never had.
Good luck to them.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:00 pm

The plot of land they are talking about is the triangular area near the a66. Reynolds never actually bought that land as the owner was wanting too much, acces to the hotel will be via the stadium car park but I am unsure if the rugby club own that land as I don't think the football club ever did.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Isn't it strange how the development taking shape at the Arena is very similar to that planned by G***** H******* and he was met with several roadblocks by the council.

Mowden already have new pitches round the back and now it looks likely this hotel will go up along side it.

This isn't say to I begrudge Mowden being there, it is good the arena is being put to good use and is still a sporting asset for the town. It is better than having it go to rack and ruin as I initially feared would happen after we left.

I have to admit it does annoy me that things have progressed so quickly for Mowden when DFC were not with alot of red tape.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

carver30

Post by carver30 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:24 pm

I think it's Scott & Sizer who own the land and always had plans for a hotel. With the economy picking up it's not a bad time to develop, the Arenas always busy now and depends on type of hotel I suppose they plan to build.

Twintowers

Post by Twintowers » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:31 pm

Rumplestiltskin has got it spot on.The Crooked Combover got the councils back up from day one and the next two got no better.Things are obviously being done in the proper way now .Good luck to them.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Great to see the northern Echo supplying the news, eh Andrew... Top local news paper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:53 pm

Well, I've got to admit that I'm jealous and bitter about Mowden having the Arena, about them having all sorts going on there and making it work, about them planning a hotel, about them building pitches, about them having millions in the bank from the sale of their previous ground...

I'm jealous and bitter about the cricket club basically getting millions for Feethams, about the destruction of Feethams...

I'm jealous and bitter about us having inherited hundreds of thousands in debt after being shafted by previous chairmen, to be then called a new club and being put in the Northern League ...about us being homeless without a pot to piss in because of that debt, which we shouldn't even have, if we were a "new club".

I just cannot bring myself to say "good luck to them", "it's good for the town" or any other such psuedo-supportive nonsense, why - because I'm bitter and jealous as fuck

I can't take it that two minor sporting clubs in comparison to what we once were, are minted even though they've got about 40 fans between them - and are well above us in the town's sporting pecking order. I mean fucking hell, come on.

There, said it. Feel much better for that.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

carver30

Post by carver30 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:02 pm

I know what you mean Quakerz, the fact they refused us a friendly which could have made a huge financial difference is also disappointing. However they have made a success of the Arena so far, which previous chairman never did.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:11 pm

I remember a few years back Mowden were considered the poor relations when it came to rugby in the town. Darlington Rugby Club had just sold their ground and had a nice tidy sum to invest in Blackwell Meadows. Wind on a few years and DRFC have spent up and willing to take in a lodger to help pay the bills and Mowden have a tidy sum of money to invest in a ground. Wonder what the outcome will be?

fat tony

Post by fat tony » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:13 pm

quaker4life wrote:Isn't it strange how the development taking shape at the Arena is very similar to that planned by G***** H******* and he was met with several roadblocks by the council.

I have to admit it does annoy me that things have progressed so quickly for Mowden when DFC were not with alot of red tape.
I'm not usually one to defend the asset-stripping cuntmask but Houghton DID get outline consent from the council for a mixed-use scheme like this one. It's still on the DBC planning portal - 100 bed hotel, public house, coffee shop, office facilities etc.

This was early-08 on the cusp of the credit crunch. He claimed he couldn't get financing to build it in a skin-crawling party political broadcast video for the Northern Echo on the day he shat us out into Admin 2.

carver30

Post by carver30 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:17 pm

One things for sure with an election next year for both national and local elections jobs and new developments will be high up the agenda.

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:10 pm

carver30 wrote:I know what you mean Quakerz, the fact they refused us a friendly which could have made a huge financial difference is also disappointing. However they have made a success of the Arena so far, which previous chairman never did.
Which friendly are we talking about? People do realise don't they that the hotel has got nothing at all to do with DMPRFC, it's not even their land that it's planned for.

TS3

Post by TS3 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:45 am

I'm guessing he means the Sunderland match

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk 4

Jamm

Post by Jamm » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:01 am

We just have to make sure that we make the facilities at Blackwell Meadow a success, for ourselves, the rugby club and the town. Sod the Arena and Feethams, some decent facilities at the former, many happy memories at the latter, but time to move on and build a successful future at our new home. In time the cricket club and Mowden will look on with envy at what we achieve in the town. That's my optimistic opinion anyway, and I also have similar thoughts to what Quakerz said above, so sod 'em. http://www.backtodarlo.co.uk/

Andrew Wilkinson

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:13 pm

You're right Jamm - the future is what counts. Good luck to Mowden, and Darlington Cricket Club. As for DFC, the future will be what the fans make it.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:37 pm

carver30 wrote:I think it's Scott & Sizer who own the land and always had plans for a hotel. With the economy picking up it's not a bad time to develop, the Arenas always busy now and depends on type of hotel I suppose they plan to build.
I believe you are incorrect here Carver, as I understand it Scott & Sizer sold the whole thing lock stock and barrel to Mowden as they met the asking price, they wanted rid of it.

And as has been said above the proposed hotel development is on adjacent land which is not owned by them.

I reckon some arses will have been twitching in the town hall when Darlo moved out and they were left with this large disused stadium on the edge of town, it could well be a derelict ruin by now much like Feethams was in the end.

I understand where Quakerz and Jamm are coming from but personally my bitterness is directed at those parties who combined and ultimately engineered our demise.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:44 pm

I thought the council gave some additional land to the rugby club as well?

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:05 pm

lo36789 wrote:I thought the council gave some additional land to the rugby club as well?
They sold the area they've put the training/junior pitches on

carver30

Post by carver30 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:46 pm

quaker4life wrote:
carver30 wrote:I think it's Scott & Sizer who own the land and always had plans for a hotel. With the economy picking up it's not a bad time to develop, the Arenas always busy now and depends on type of hotel I suppose they plan to build.
I believe you are incorrect here Carver, as I understand it Scott & Sizer sold the whole thing lock stock and barrel to Mowden as they met the asking price, they wanted rid of it.

And as has been said above the proposed hotel development is on adjacent land which is not owned by them.

I reckon some arses will have been twitching in the town hall when Darlo moved out and they were left with this large disused stadium on the edge of town, it could well be a derelict ruin by now much like Feethams was in the end.

I understand where Quakerz and Jamm are coming from but personally my bitterness is directed at those parties who combined and ultimately engineered our demise.
Not incorrect as I suggested From the DBC planning web site

Applicant Name Mr Phillip Scott
Agent Name PlanArch Design Ltd

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:54 pm

quaker4life wrote:I understand where Quakerz and Jamm are coming from but personally my bitterness is directed at those parties who combined and ultimately engineered our demise.
This is my view too :evil:

However my views re Mr G. Reynolds have mellowed. George, I feel had good intentions - he was a maverick who played by his own rules, but in my view wasn't as bad as the snakes that followed. And don't get me going about Feethams/covenants/Cricket club!

Good luck to Mowden Park. They've seen an opportunity and taken it.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlobp

Post by Darlobp » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:10 pm

Quakerz wrote:Well, I've got to admit that I'm jealous and bitter about Mowden having the Arena, about them having all sorts going on there and making it work, about them planning a hotel, about them building pitches, about them having millions in the bank from the sale of their previous ground...

I'm jealous and bitter about the cricket club basically getting millions for Feethams, about the destruction of Feethams...

I'm jealous and bitter about us having inherited hundreds of thousands in debt after being shafted by previous chairmen, to be then called a new club and being put in the Northern League ...about us being homeless without a pot to piss in because of that debt, which we shouldn't even have, if we were a "new club".

I just cannot bring myself to say "good luck to them", "it's good for the town" or any other such psuedo-supportive nonsense, why - because I'm bitter and jealous as fuck

I can't take it that two minor sporting clubs in comparison to what we once were, are minted even though they've got about 40 fans between them - and are well above us in the town's sporting pecking order. I mean fucking hell, come on.

This, this,this & this, I'm complety pisses off with it all. If some football god wanted to brake my love of Darlo and football then he has, I give up, I can't see a way back for DFC I think we are doomed to years and years of non league obscurity.

Maybe if we ever get back to Darlo my views may mellow, can't even see that happening any time soon.
Ding,ding home time...somehow DFC have to get back to Darlo.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:34 pm

Darlobp wrote:
Quakerz wrote:Well, I've got to admit that I'm jealous and bitter about Mowden having the Arena, about them having all sorts going on there and making it work, about them planning a hotel, about them building pitches, about them having millions in the bank from the sale of their previous ground...

This, this,this & this, I'm complety pisses off with it all. If some football god wanted to brake my love of Darlo and football then he has, I give up, I can't see a way back for DFC I think we are doomed to years and years of non league obscurity.

Maybe if we ever get back to Darlo my views may mellow, can't even see that happening any time soon.
You not heard about Blackwell Meadows? :eh:
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:35 am

Talking of Blackwell, what is going on?

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:52 am

Think people are assuming a December return. But not sure what anyone knows as nobody's saying much.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Mrs_Money_Penny

Post by Mrs_Money_Penny » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:06 am

There is a lot going on behind the scenes and I have heard December being mentioned but nobody will announce anything whilst meetings etc are ongoing

charlie

Post by charlie » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:14 am

Martin Gray said on the late kick around Xmas but no official announcement been made

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:33 am

Sure there are many things going on behind the scenes, not least getting adequate funding in place.
As for practical / physical progress, then not a lot , if anything has happened.

Stu_1

Post by Stu_1 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:25 pm

There is a lot going on behind the scenes, unfortunately the process' are all quite long and drawn out