Match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Re: Match thread

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:31 pm

The Echo are quick out of the blocks with their report on the game tonight...

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... lington_2/

Nice to see Scarborough get off the mark this evening too.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

quakerray
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by quakerray » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

lets hope we get given a 3-0 win and jump straight to the top.

joejaques wrote:
Comfortably_numb wrote:God I hate being this far down the leagues. First the Warrington debacle and now the basic inability to report scores etc.

It's an insult to Mickey Mouse to sully his name with this lot!
They've corected it now, and we're 6th in the table with a game in hand. :roll:

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:34 pm

Just got back fantastic result, well played lads, great support aswell :clap: :clap:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:45 pm

I thought Spenny looked poor first half, expected a lot better from them considering the money they have invested in their sustainable squad. They did improve second half but didn't deserve anything from the game.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Great stuff! I was expecting a tough, tight game. We made it look easy. Pulverized them in the first half and kept them at arms length in the second without breaking much of a sweat. Hopefully there was a video camera, Armstrong's first goal was tremendous. It's not just the quality and class our lads play with at times or the efficiency at the back, it's the constant, unrelenting work rate and commitment. That's made me very optimistic for the season ahead! Get in! :D

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:53 pm

Great performance, led by an unbelievable work rate which just rocked Spenny in the first half. They're a good team, but we just didn't give them a second on the ball.
Armstrong looks like a great box player, who comes alive when there's a chance, two great finishes. Midfield three were excellent, Mitchell particularly effective, two wide attackers worked their socks off.
Whitey strong at the back and really we dominated the game.
Credit to MG who has seemingly had to balance the books by not bringing in big numbers but who has managed to improve last seasons squad with some great additions. Adam Reed looked very promising too.
I expected nothing tonight so am impressed with what I saw. I was also surprised by the number of Darlo fans too, way more than I was expecting, well over a thousand I'd have guessed.
Great start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:57 pm

Where do I begin with the positives.

Nice to have another belter to look at on the replays, and well done to Armstrong to get 2.

We out-played them we closed them down in midfield and we stopped them from playing. Portus looked excellent with Scott, he has that something we were missing ;ast season, very happy about his performance, along with Dowson too, they both pressed the spenny players down and it worked.

Jameson made some worldy saves and he looked confident, give him more starting games, with in respect to Bell.

Defence looked good, and didn't let the pace of the spenny strikers dictate them.

We could of had about 4/5. We played amazing, and i cannot find one negative from today.

Hope Purewal isn't injured.

Good game lads, carrying on from saturday, let's bring that on the next saturday.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:57 pm

Managed to get a blog up from tonight

http://simonhahn89.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... le-rivals/

Fantastic performance all round from the lads carrying on from Saturday.

Spenny will improve but tonight was a big result, could have easily won by 4/5 and they couldnt have had many complaints

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Chuffed with the lads. Best performance in a long long time.

First half Portas, Scott and Mitchell ran the show. Army looks class. Second half the defence looked so strong. and for me I have to give MOM to Alan White. He won everything all night. I never had a doubt we'd concede.

Everyone played so well.

Leon looked on his feet by the end. But I suppose that was to be expected.

Just wondering if Thommo will play on Saturday. Lol.

Was a good time to play Spenny. Like us it will take them a bit of time to adjust. And they showed that they'll be there or thereabouts at the end if the season. But for the most part we made them look ordinary.

Well done lads.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Good point made about us being fresher for our 30 mins on Saturday. As much as we moan about effectively losing Thompson for another game, it may have been a fair trade off having 11 fresh players.

We were 20 odd points better than Spenny 2 seasons ago, and looking at the two sides, we've strengthened more than they have since then.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:02 pm

"Amar Purewal ‏@P70AMA 35s
Good result tnyt, hopefully many more to come. Ps if u can find a hammy in spenny I'd appreciate it"

Looked like he'd done a hamstring when he went off and he's just confirmed it. Looks like he'll be out for a bit :thumbdown:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:03 pm

I think Purewal took a bit of a knock tonight, if he's not fit for Saturday it's a case of keep the same formation and a straight swap for Thompson.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:07 pm

Well - what a performance in the first half. Everyone was superb. Second half we were happy to keep things solid. Spennymoor rarely looked threatening. It could have been 5-0. Gray completely outwitted Ainsley in the tactical stakes tonight.

I was somewhat pessimistic about this season, but the signings we have made have strengthened our team massively. Portas is absolutely quality - a strong tackler, quality on the ball and can drive forward with it. Armstrong looks like he will score plenty of goals. Mitchell's work rate is superb, and he's got plenty of talent as well! Credit to Dowson too - didn't have his usual role, but his work rate and attitude were so important to us to keep Spennymoor quiet. I was really impressed with Fisher when he came on - I'd love to see him stay if he can keep that level of performance up. We were playing the ball into his feet, so he could turn and get at players - much more his game than longer balls pumped up to him. Reid (spelling?) looked like he had something about him when he came on - although not convinced by that haircut! Great to see Hatch back too.

Overall, we look a much more balanced team, and just generally better, than last season. And we have Thompson and Robinson to come back in - on that performance I'm not sure who Thompson would replace, but a good dilemma to have. Obviously if Purewal is injured it's an easy decision!

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:10 pm

On the basis of the first two games Portas and Armstrong are two great signings. Armstrong in particular is superb as the central striker. Both holding the ball up and being a threat in the box. He is also very adept at winning free kicks in and around the box.

Exciting to think we still have Thompson to bring into the side.

Fisher was also good when he came on, I do hope he stays and gets a chance.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:15 pm

Thompson is going to have to match the work rate of the rest of he team if and when he gets a chance in this system. Whilst probably still our most dangerous player the whole ethic of the team is about hard work, so he'll need to adapt to that.
He was able to have the luxury of being in a free role last season without the pressure on working hard off the ball so much. If he can match that, he could be devastating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:15 pm

Just got back and am totally buzzin ..... Could talk forever about the positives from tonight but I won't .... Truly fantastic! ...... The support too .... Amazing .... Who mentioned a "malaise"? .........

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:16 pm

Old fashioned out of tens

Jameson 8 - good performance. Needs a bit more composure.
Galbraith 8 - got done a bit in the second half. But all round excellent.
Hunter 8 - never put a foot wrong
White 10 - us best game for us.
Brown 9 - stopped their winger every time. What a ball for the 1st
Portas 9 - he was brilliant
Scott 9 - you know what he brings. And he delivered.
Mitchell 9 - His link play was key in the first half.
Purewal 7 - I'm a massive fan. And it's not he had a bad game. But he was outshined.
Dowson 8 - legs legs legs. Classic Dows performance.
Armstrong 9 - two great goals. Intelligent. Could. Should have had at least three.

Hatch 6 - didn't really get into the game. But helped out massively holding the ball
Fisher 7 - good performance. Looks better wide. Should have scored.
Reed 6 - looks promising. But by the time he came on the game had changed.

Only my opinion

DarloDean

Post by DarloDean » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:18 pm

Haven't seen spen666 in a while.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:19 pm

That first goal was superb football. Great build up, a wonderful ball in by Brown (who looks more and more comfortable at right back), and a great finish.

Darlo Fonz

Post by Darlo Fonz » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:31 pm

Don't even know where to begin about tonight...

We completely outplayed Spenny from start to finish.

Portas was outstanding for us, won everything in midfield and broke up every attack. Can quickly distribute the ball or even charge forward with it and start an attack.

I'm just over the moon :)
Darlo Fonz
DARLINGTON FC

Runwithit

Post by Runwithit » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:42 pm

I honestly thought purewal had a good game and when he went off we where different up front not as good I would say. Anyway a absolutely fantastic performance by everyone and it could of been a lot more. Armstrong and portas look quality signings but the whole team was fantastic and Scott Is a complete man mountain so strong on the ball

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:54 pm

Fantastic by Gray tonight. Set the team up brilliantly with a real effective midfield three and everybody worked their socks off from the off. Best performance I have seen since Warrington away last season. The squad is looking really strong now. Armstrong looks pure quality as does Portas. Not a weak link tonight. We could have 5/6 to be honest. The only downer was Purewals hamstring injury.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:07 pm

DarloDean wrote:Haven't seen spen666 in a while.

Yeah. Did it without Thompson. PMSL!!!

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:09 pm

I loved our fluidity from a 4-3-3 into a 4-5-1 to a 2-5-3. A lot of work has gone into it in training. And some of the through play, runs and passing was as good as we've seen under Gray. Considering how we finished last season we look a compete ly differnt team. And this is without Thommo. Gray must be a very happy boss st the mo.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:19 pm

Just got back, fantastic performance. Spennymoor who?

darlogent

Post by darlogent » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:49 pm

Great performance so early on in season! Well done lads!!

aveda

Post by aveda » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:02 am

Just brilliant. The workrate was phenomenal. It must be a nightmare trying to play it out from the back against us. If you get past Dowson then Mitchell is in your face, then Scott, then Portas, then White, then Dowson again. The volley from Armstrong was excellent and the ball from Galbraith for the second was quality. I don't remember a better team performance since we dropped down the leagues.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:17 am

Fantastic game last night, it was definately men against boys. Very impressed with the support at the game, certainly over half the crowd were from Darlo. On the other hand given Spennymoor's first result of the season, their support was pathetic, a bit like their team. :)

Darlo will

Post by Darlo will » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:39 am

What a goal from Armstrong that first one was! I was right behind it!

As for Amar, I have always had my doubts about him but in that left wing/left striker role he was quality. Much better with the ball played to feet!
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:43 am

Looking back at last night now, i think it was the best performance since we got demoted. We create chance after chance against one of the best teams we have faced without giving away much at the other end.

Just hope we can keep this up against the weaker teams, starting with Burscough on Saturday