Bring a family member or friend - new or lapsed fans

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

CiC Secretary
Team Supported: Darlington

Bring a family member or friend - new or lapsed fans

Post by CiC Secretary » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:07 pm

With the excellent start to the season we are encouraging fans to bring along a family member or friend as a new or lapsed fan to the Bank Holiday match against Kendal Town at Heritage Park.

As owners of our club, it's so important for us fans to get as many through the gate as possible.

Our club – Our future – Our choice

Darlington FC CIC

moodymonica

Re: Bring a family member or friend - new or lapsed fans

Post by moodymonica » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:54 pm

Yada yada yada
We've heard it all before.
The club, fans, cic need to promote the games more through whatever media.
one of the old blokes I take to the games didn't even know we were playing Monday. He's not likely to visit a website to find out so instead of getting lapsed people try keeping those going to turn up.
We as a football club seem to miss out on doing the obvious, well.
And before some jumped up scroat has a go, yes I go to each game, yes I buy a 50/50 ticket each week, yes I buy a minimum of three garments a year so I don't need to hear the usual armchair bullshit off here.
There's still loads of people in darlo haven't a clue who does what, where or when were heading to bm. So to come o here and ask for a friend to go to the games is the minimum the cic should be doing

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:08 am

So glad you have heard all this before, what do you want the CIC to do, we have just 4 entirely volunteered directors who all have jobs to hold down! Tell you what we will all go door knocking around the town (population 100,000+) and ask why they dont come to games.MM why dont you put your name forward to help out door knocking and drag the 99,000 people out of the house, your help would be much appreciated on top of all the other things you state in your post and yes YADA YADA YADA mate

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:19 am

moodymonica wrote:Yada yada yada
one of the old blokes I take to the games didn't even know we were playing Monday. He's not likely to visit a website to find out so instead of getting lapsed people try keeping those going to turn up.
And before some jumped up scroat has a go, yes I go to each game, yes I buy a 50/50 ticket each week, yes I buy a minimum of three garments a year so I don't need to hear the usual armchair bullshit off here.
There's still loads of people in darlo haven't a clue who does what, where or when were heading to bm. So to come o here and ask for a friend to go to the games is the minimum the cic should be doing
Which is exactly what they have done along with good Newspaper coverage and promoting fund raising efforts, congrats in winning fan of the year but what is the outburst in aid of?

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:16 am

... it's comments like that ... that make all of us on here 'jumped up scroats' .... However, if you think you've identified an issue that you mention, you should put yourself forward to help resolve it with a cunning plan, that you feel the rest of us aren't doing .... :problem: ........................ :roll:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:33 am

MM I won't have a go. Instead let's rationally solve the problem you have identified.

You say this person is taken to the game by you. Are you able to advise him when the next game is? What medium does he pick up his info from - as far as I am aware the Echo have mentioned the game, the next home game is announced over the tannoy, and that programme you buy has a fixture list at the back of it. You can relay this info if needs be.

If that still isn't enough. The CIC are actively encouraging fans to put a poster of the clubs home games up in their local newsagents/pubs/eateries and their workplaces. If you want to be on the distribution list for the poster then email the CIC* and I am sure they will be more than happy to help. You can then evaluate where your friend goes during their day and ask for poster to be put up for his benefit.

Will this help solve your issue?

*The only email I have for the CIC is membership@darlingtonfc.org. Try that but happy to be corrected.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:00 am

What happened to the family season ticket this year btw?
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Markodarlo

Post by Markodarlo » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:11 am

Feel free to drop me an email Moody, mark.adams@darlingtonfc.org you can outline exactly where we are going wrong and what you think we should be doing to resolve it. Were always looking for others to come on board who can do a better job or offer new ideas.

Mark

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:17 am

Ingleby wrote:What happened to the family season ticket this year btw?
Come on Ingleby you know what happened, it was removed no doubt due to a number of reasons including take up/revenue increasing reasons.

It cost myself an extra £55 this season for one adult and 2 children seasons tickets and I didn't even get a seated one this year, where last season I did. We all know a better season ticket offer would help but the boards job is to maximise revenues whilst at Bishop.

They maybe other things we could try but they all come with the risk of decreasing revenue, although a possibility of increasing footfall and maybe revenue.

charlie

Post by charlie » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:34 am

I also know that plenty of pubs and shops in Darlington Town Centre are displaying the match day poster as is a number of Arriva buses. I do think your being harsh, the CIC board are just supporters along with everyone else and instead of sitting there waiting for them to do something, get involved and do something yourself. Before anyone says anything, the level of comittment folk can give varies, however if he'd told his pal about the game , thats a start

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:36 am

Sorry, just cant believe that someone who says they go to the games, buys club merchandise and 50/50 tickets is not aware of the home fixtures and for what ever reason is not willing to share that infomation with someone he takes to the games. For some reason you are just having a pop at those volunteers who are doing a fantastic job in progressing our club back up the leagues and back to Darlo.
Look on here if want some info and pass it to your friend.
http://www.backtodarlo.co.uk/
http://www.darlington1883.co.uk/?page_id=425
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Dn1

Post by Dn1 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:34 pm

And before some jumped up scroat has a go, yes I go to each game, yes I buy a 50/50 ticket each week, yes I buy a minimum of three garments a year so I don't need to hear the usual armchair bullshit off here.
With living in Newcastle, working in Gateshead and rarely having any time off (especially at the weekend), I find it incredibly difficult to get to games, and nor can I justify the cost of doing so because other things are of bigger priority (family, saving for my wedding etc...), so I as a fan am currently an "armchair supporter" so to speak. However as this is the current circumstance that is why I rarely post on the main forum and instead choose to mainly read what is posted by others.

However given the efforts by the CiC, and how hard these VOLUNTEERS work for our club, they are people who cannot be faulted for their time, nor the commitment they have to the cause. Also owing to the timing of this "retort/reply" from MM, I will indeed imply he has done a DC and after a few too many shandy's down the local inn, has vented his spleen over something which didn't need venting about.

Anyway, that's my sixpence. Now I am off back into the background to catch up on happenings at the club, then have a go on the Xbox before going out for the afternoon/evening to the circus, where no doubt I will struggle to find a bigger more obvious clown than this eejit.

Dn1
"Paris and the fall. The last months of the year and the end of the milenium. The city hold many memories for me...of cafes, of music, of love....and of death...."

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:54 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Come on Ingleby you know what happened, it was removed no doubt due to a number of reasons including take up/revenue increasing reasons.

It cost myself an extra £55 this season for one adult and 2 children seasons tickets and I didn't even get a seated one this year, where last season I did. We all know a better season ticket offer would help but the boards job is to maximise revenues whilst at Bishop.

They maybe other things we could try but they all come with the risk of decreasing revenue, although a possibility of increasing footfall and maybe revenue.
That's fair enough. Not sure how worsening the offer for families will increase footfall.
Why not keep it for standing tickets if seats are the issue. Sends the wrong message to me.

Like the first reply says, look after the fans you already have.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:28 pm

The silence from MM is deafening. :roll:

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Ingleby wrote:

That's fair enough. Not sure how worsening the offer for families will increase footfall.
Why not keep it for standing tickets if seats are the issue. Sends the wrong message to me.

It doesn't but it increases revenue if you get the same number per match or keeps revenue level if attendances decrease.

It's pretty obvious the club are not willing to take a chance by reducing charges and hoping that footfall increases and you then get same revenues and then hopefully progress and get more revenue. Pretty much everyone says we won't increase attendances whilst in Bishop so we appear to try and squeeze more out of the regulars.

Don't get me wrong I am all for decreasing the cost of season tickets if we can but the club would have to be confident the revenue stays the same or increases.

This season prices are done really, hopefully we are back home in Darlington next season but depending on the costs of that move will depend on what room the club will have in prices. I know one thing is that MJ is well aware that we think attendances will go up back in Darlo but in terms of setting his season budget do we really want him to reduce prices and budget for an increase in attendances.

Budget wise I can see MJ doing similar to this year, where we get a % off dependant upon how many we sell.

moodymonica

Post by moodymonica » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:57 pm

Not silent at all jaques.
You think the crowd can be increased by taking a lapsed fan, when we can't get people to vote for the under 18's and for that people don't Have to get off their arses OR put there hand on their pockets to watch the team play.
Just face it people couldn't give a toss.
Lets hope this eejit keeps going to the games tho dn1 eh
So easy to sit on a forum contributing naff all (& that isn't to say you don't go to the games don't know you from Adam)
More for the thousAnd or so stay always

charlie

Post by charlie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:05 am

moodymonica wrote:Not silent at all jaques.
You think the crowd can be increased by taking a lapsed fan, when we can't get people to vote for the under 18's and for that people don't Have to get off their arses OR put there hand on their pockets to watch the team play.
So easy to sit on a forum contributing naff all (& that isn't to say you don't go to the games don't know you from Adam)
When you talk about the club, or the CIC you are actually calling your fellow supporters who have stepped up to the plate to do their bit. I'm not saying they are above criticism but come on seriously?

Instead of criticising, come up with ideas or suggestions which could improve what is already happening and if you have the time offer your services.

Incidentally you never responded to the fact that ...

The fixture list is in the programme
The fixture list is online
Match day posters are displayed on local buses
Match day posters are displayed in businesses around the town with quite a few in the town centre including both shops and pubs
Our next home game was mentioned on the tannoy at the end of the last game
Article in The Northern Echo
Star Radio publicity
Match day poster was sent out on the email mailing list of cic members
The club makes good use of social media

Would you like to tell me what else, the club or cic could do?

Markodarlo

Post by Markodarlo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:17 am

moodymonica wrote:Not silent at all jaques.
If they are a lapsed fan do really think they are going to be sat on uncovered reading threads about an under 18s vote?

I think your totally missing the concept of the bring a friend theme.

The idea is being someone who is no longer an active Darlo fan or someone who maybe has never been to a Darlo game.

I don't want this thread to turn into a thread for people to criticise each other I just want it to help OUR club.

You obviously feel passionate about the club so why not take me up on the offer of getting involved and email me?

Mark

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:28 am

Care in the community does not work!! Thanks again thatcher!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:44 am

Ingleby wrote:

It doesn't but it increases revenue if you get the same number per match or keeps revenue level if attendances decrease.

It's pretty obvious the club are not willing to take a chance by reducing charges and hoping that footfall increases and you then get same revenues and then hopefully progress and get more revenue. Pretty much everyone says we won't increase attendances whilst in Bishop so we appear to try and squeeze more out of the regulars.

Don't get me wrong I am all for decreasing the cost of season tickets if we can but the club would have to be confident the revenue stays the same or increases.

This season prices are done really, hopefully we are back home in Darlington next season but depending on the costs of that move will depend on what room the club will have in prices. I know one thing is that MJ is well aware that we think attendances will go up back in Darlo but in terms of setting his season budget do we really want him to reduce prices and budget for an increase in attendances.

Budget wise I can see MJ doing similar to this year, where we get a % off dependant upon how many we sell.
I agree with everything you said. I guess I'm slightly concerned with the ongoing plan of taking more from regulars rather than being able to attract/keep more numbers. This year we have already seen from the noises made, the increasing need for initiatives to increase numbers. Primarily because season ticket numbers are down, and this doesn't bode well if we get a bad winter.

But as you allude to hopefully this plan is mainly based on the fact we are still out of the town.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:21 am

"taking more from regulars" ........ please tell me that the use of the word highlighted was a thoughtless error on your behalf ...... If not ... it tells us everything ! This is a community club ffs ..... We contribute to it in any way we can or want to .... Not always financially but time wise too. The mentality is to subscribe, contribute and offer .... we aren't being fleeced ... we either support Darlo or we don't .... ;)

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:21 am

Problem you have got is, if for example (rough estimates) you reduced season ticket prices by on average £30 per person at say 500 then you are now 15k down on your budget. However you may increase season ticket sales turning perhaps a 16 game pay on the day fan into paying for a ST, will this increase revenue through or are you just moving it to an upfront payment rather than a drip feed payment.

So with 15k gap in budget and average pay on the gate say £7 (rough average figure again), then we need to increase attendances by 102 per game to just stand still. Figures would be 15k divide by 21 games and average price of £7.

With that in mind your choice is reduce your budget at the start of the season in case you can't make up the shortfall and reduced squad size/skill level of team. This however may have a knock on effect to your attendances though and if not as good a team you will reduce attendances.

Or you can take a chance and spend this year and if it doesn't work take it out of next year’s budget, again you could end up in a vicious cycle of reducing budget, reducing quality of squad/team and likely to reduce attendances. I guess this is also the one thing we don't want our club to do, budget on a positive attendance figure that may not materialise.

Good football, winning results and being in a Championship winning battle are the only things that will keep our attendances up at the moment. When we get to a position where we are back in Darlo and can manage any payments we have on the ground, we do need to try and build our fan base back up.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:29 am

AIDO wrote:"taking more from regulars" ........ please tell me that the use of the word highlighted was a thoughtless error on your behalf ...... If not ... it tells us everything ! This is a community club ffs ..... We contribute to it in any way we can or want to .... Not always financially but time wise too. The mentality is to subscribe, contribute and offer .... we aren't being fleeced ... we either support Darlo or we don't .... ;)
Asking/charging. This isn't about your mentality. This is about increasing overall support.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:32 am

AIDO wrote:"taking more from regulars" ........ please tell me that the use of the word highlighted was a thoughtless error on your behalf ...... If not ... it tells us everything ! This is a community club ffs ..... We contribute to it in any way we can or want to .... Not always financially but time wise too. The mentality is to subscribe, contribute and offer .... we aren't being fleeced ... we either support Darlo or we don't .... ;)
It was more me who wrote it Aido, and to be honest if I stand back and look at the strategy the club is using, it largely is the plan. Probably due to the difficulties the club has in increasing attendances, I can't see that much more they can do to increase attendances to be fair to them.

I didn't suggest anyone was being fleeced but to keep the club with a decent budget to ensure we have a strong team/squad then we need to pay more. Will everyone be happy with this, sadly not? However I don't see a different way at the moment, playing out of town and at the level we are has seen numbers slowly reduce (precedents do show this should be expected for clubs playing out of town).

The plus side though is we have again assembled a squad/team that will be there or thereabouts this season and the work in the background continues on BM which will give us such a boost when we get there.

A good cup run this year will massively help us, I am hoping for an FA Cup run that can bring in much needed funds but also boost the club with some great excitement/publicity.

CiC Secretary

Post by CiC Secretary » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:45 am

Despite the negativity of some on this thread, I'm glad to report I know of 5 Sunderland fans who are coming tomorrow after I reminded them we had a game. Three of them who live in Darlington will likely become regulars again. As the adage says "If you don't ask you don't get"

moodymonica

Post by moodymonica » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:33 pm

It might be negativity in your eyes. Maybe reality in others.
Maybe that's why the crowd has halved since at HP.
By the way this negative one is taking two old season ticket holders to the game.
Lets hope everyone does that and we'll have a sell out

Markodarlo

Post by Markodarlo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:28 pm

moodymonica wrote:It might be negativity in your eyes. Maybe reality in others.
Maybe that's why the crowd has halved since at HP.
By the way this negative one is taking two old season ticket holders to the game.
Lets hope everyone does that and we'll have a sell out
Well done! Good to see the idea you initially rubbished you've now acted upon :-/

moodymonica

Post by moodymonica » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:54 pm

I guess Marko I dont explain myself very well.
What I had meant was that Im sick of hearing the same stuff on the board - nothing ever changes (I also guess that using a newer phone hasnt helped either, as some of the stuff I thought had been deleted hadnt).
There will still be a poor turn out tomorrow, we wont get near to 2000 (probably not near 1500).
What I was more annoyed at I guess was that how are we supposed to get more people to come to a game and spend there cash when they cant be bothered to simply vote (Mars - Under 18's) when it costs them nothing and doesnt mean they have to shift from their PC or phone etc.
I will reply in private to Charlie and the CIC Secretary.
But as a quick reply on here and without wanting to be berated - for publicity purposes, I dont buy a programme, used to when I was a kid, havent for years as I collect to much crap.
Adverts on a bus, I dont use the bus service, I drive everywhere. When I am in town, I am in Taylors, Any bookies, Tanners, DBS, 3, Next, Indoor Market (when club had a stall) and in all of those places I have NEVER seen a poster advertising the club.
Dont listen to Star, more of a Heart, Capital listener myself,
I dont buy the Northern Echo, but I do sometimes read online about the club.
I personally disnt hear the game being mentioned at the last game - however I did hear the announcer say that non season ticket holders should take an 'abandoned' voucher with them for the next Warrington game, if it was after that I may have missed it.
Im not a member of the cic therefore wont be on a mailing list. Hopefully Charlie that gives you an answer to all of your 'questions'

So I still stand by what I said, that the person who I went with last match, wasnt aware of us playing Monday, he would be described as a pensioner and although a lot of people use the web a lot of silver surfers arent too clever!

I do have ideas and will share them with others, some may think they are crap as well.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:26 pm

If you're interested in something you make a point of finding out when that thing is on. It works for all walks of life.

We're not perfect, far from it, and I agree with the sentiment that posting on here 3 days before a game and then expecting an extra 500 or so to turn up is relatively pointless (but better than nothing with the current resource).

But saying regulars won't turn up because they don't knos when games are on is taking it a bit too far.

charlie

Post by charlie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:57 pm

I have personally walked around the town, I dropped posters off at

The Diner Indoor Market
Guru
Voodoo cafe
The Olde English Gentleman (formerly the tap )
The George
The Newsagents just down from the art shop, the name escapes me but Andys auntie owns it
The Fruit & Veg Stall in Queen Street
The Red Lion
Buzz Cafe
The Golden Cock
The Boot & Shoe
The Pennyweight
Hole in the wall
Tanners

And I also dropped off posters at Arriva, which I have seen displayed on buses

I haven't posted this for pats on back, just to show that posters are out there

Only independent shops will take them as larger companies have policies and procedures you have to contend with