New Lens....

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Big Tim
Team Supported: Darlington

New Lens....

Post by Big Tim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Right, I said from the start that I wasn't going to do this, however, due to a lack of funds (like everyone else I know) I have not been able to get a good rhythm of income in to save up for a new lens I so desperately need in order to take pics in bad light. What I would like to ask as politely as possible and I'm only asking as I've already had several people come up to me asking to do so, is that if anyone IS WILLING to donate any money, be it just £1 or anything else, that would be a massive help and I'd be extremely appreciative to any who has done so. Now all I need is £160, tops! This amount would allow me to put down a deposit and purchase this lens:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/pro ... oCXznw_wcB

By purchasing this new piece of equipment I will be able to bring you, the fans, good quality pics in any light.

The rest I will be paying for it monthly out of my own pocket.

Like I said if you're not willing and/or cannot afford to part with any amount of money at this current time, I fully understand and appreciate that.

Details are as follows:

Paypal info: timothy.hickman@ntlworld.com

I you would like to donate straight into my account, just give me a quick PM and I'll provide you with the appropriate info.

Regards

Tim
Last edited by Big Tim on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlie

Re: New Lens....

Post by charlie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:32 pm

I can understand you wanting the right equipment however my only problem I personally have with this is the following...

The club still isn't on it's feet totally yet and any funding at the moment should be for the club or the move back to Darlo. If the lens would then belong to the club I wouldn't have a problem but from I'm assuming from your post the lens as only partially funded would then become your lens?

I'm not trying to be negative but that's my view point, the others I'm sure will have their own one way or another

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:46 pm

charlie wrote:I can understand you wanting the right equipment however my only problem I personally have with this is the following...

The club still isn't on it's feet totally yet and any funding at the moment should be for the club or the move back to Darlo. If the lens would then belong to the club I wouldn't have a problem but from I'm assuming from your post the lens as only partially funded would then become your lens?

I'm not trying to be negative but that's my view point, the others I'm sure will have their own one way or another

Fair point, but like I said the only reason I have actually asked is due to a fair amount of people offering to donate.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:11 pm

Not being massively into photography I'm obviously no expert but the pics so far have been of good quality

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:19 pm

divas wrote:Not being massively into photography I'm obviously no expert but the pics so far have been of good quality
The current lens' I have work great during day/good light, however I haven't got the aperture to take good quality pics during bad light I.e evening games. But thanks for that comment :thumbup:

divas

Post by divas » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:32 pm

Ah okay gotcha!!

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:57 pm

I'll stick a tenner in Tim, and it won't affect what I would have given to the club, I'll just do without my takeaway on Friday! I'll sort it out for you in the morning.

The Big Dawg

Post by The Big Dawg » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:14 pm

What a crass request.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I give a penny to Big Tim, the infamous West Auckland turncoat.
I AM JAZZ MAVERICK

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:59 pm

The Big Dawg wrote:What a crass request.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I give a penny to Big Tim, the infamous West Auckland turncoat.
..... that comment swayed me ..... count me in Tim .... ;)

TSQuaker

Post by TSQuaker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:14 pm

I'll stick a few quid in too. Send me the details Tim and I'll sort it when I'm next in the office.
Northern League Champions 2013

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:23 pm

I don't think this would negate from club fundraising in any way.

I'm happy to support any of our credible volunteers to provide us with the fantastic media coverage they facilitate.

Tim and Kev do a fantastic job and it is appreciated.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:38 pm

Beano wrote:I don't think this would negate from club fundraising in any way.

I'm happy to support any of our credible volunteers to provide us with the fantastic media coverage they facilitate.

Tim and Kev do a fantastic job and it is appreciated.
Ditto. PM sent.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

eek

Post by eek » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:43 pm

It may be worth looking round at the second hand dealers (note I don't say ebay) but London Camera Exchange , digitaldepot and a few of the others may have stock and save you a fair bit of cash. LCE have 1 nikon 70-200 OS available for £600 at the moment..

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Just sent a tenner.
Don't care who owns the lens. Volunteers and true supporters are what has kept our club alive. Unlike some boring, exiled, negative,abusive non entities.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:40 pm

charlie wrote:I can understand you wanting the right equipment however my only problem I personally have with this is the following...

Very little point in the club owning a lens if it doesn't own the camera it is compatible with, and no point buying the club a camera when Tim voluntarily uses his own and doesn't charge the club for the pictures he takes.

If the lens allows Tim to continue taking good quality photos once the light levels drop over winter and as evening games start building up, then it seems like a fair 'payment' for the services he's offering us.

Maybe he'll one day use the lens to become a we'll paid professional photographer and will in turn be able to commit more donations to the club?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

cameron-darlo
Team Supported: Darlington, newcastle

Post by cameron-darlo » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:30 am

:wtf: Are you honestly trying to begrudge Tim his own lens (which he's paying most of it himself) After the brilliant service he gives to the club free of charge? he's just a normal fan like every other volunteer of the club, he doesn't have to do it. How about the club gives something back to the people keeping it alive instead of take take take. £160 is hardly going to make a huge difference is it lets be honest. The least he deserves is a helping hand to provide us with even better quality Pictures.

I'll give you a tenner towards it next time i'm at a game with you Tim.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:28 am

cameron-darlo wrote:

:wtf: Are you honestly trying to begrudge Tim his own lens (which he's paying most of it himself) After the brilliant service he gives to the club free of charge? he's just a normal fan like every other volunteer of the club, he doesn't have to do it. How about the club gives something back to the people keeping it alive instead of take take take. £160 is hardly going to make a huge difference is it lets be honest. The least he deserves is a helping hand to provide us with even better quality Pictures.

Im pretty sure Charlie wasn't trying to begrudge Tim his own lens at all.

From my own point of view, I don't care about the photos, its a nice extra, but one I would happily do without, so I wont be contributing.

Tim, how much would you be paying a month? Id worry somewhat that you've been unable to get the deposit together, but can commit to a fixed monthly payment, I would hate for you to find that you are struggling.

(please note, Im not judging or having a go, you would be better getting a bank loan for the amount and buying it second hand, there are a few reputable dealers)

charlie

Post by charlie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:46 am

cameron-darlo wrote:

I don't begrudge it at all, and as I said in my post everyone has their own opinion and I gave mine or am I not entitled to do that?

tezza

Post by tezza » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:03 am

The Big Dawg wrote:What a crass request.

Swayed me also, will give direct. This Saturday at FA Cup Game,

Where big dawg bollocks Maverick will not be in attendance

moodymonica

Post by moodymonica » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:36 am

If the lens allows Tim to continue taking good quality photos once the light levels drop over winter and as evening games start building up, then it seems like a fair 'payment' for the services he's offering us.

Maybe he'll one day use the lens to become a we'll paid professional photographer and will in turn be able to commit more donations to the club?[/quote]

^ this.
Totally agree with spyman
I assume the club can use the photos Tim takes so technically they are getting some benefit along with the fans (as long as he doesn't catch my ugly mug too many times)

Just read back the request Tim
Fiver sent via PayPal.
Hope you get enough to not have anything to pay monthly if you're on a tight budget
Last edited by moodymonica on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:38 am

Well I was going to do something about TBD's post (regardless of what we may think of what happened with West two years ago, Tim is now doing a great service for the club and deserves our support for that), but since it's inspiring people to donate I think I'll just leave it there :lol:

Tenner from me next time I see you!
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

moodymonica

Post by moodymonica » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:45 am

Two posts inspired me to pay mikky and yes one of them was tbd's

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:47 am

The photo's Tim takes are used in the programmes, club advertising and in things like the non-league paper which advertises our club externally in one sense.

He does it free of charge and I think it's an excellent opportunity and a great learning curve for him in something he may wish to progress.

I would suggest contacting one of the players also to see if they would be willing to do a whip round, nearly all of them use Tim's photos as profiles pictures on Facebook/Twitter. Even if 20 players/management put £5 in each it covers a £100 of the cost.

I do see the issue in the fact Tim owns the lens and in theory could stop taking photos and just walk away, that's a choice each person has to make and accept when putting in.

In regards to West Auckland then I think Tim made a mistake in going as he didn't stick with the majority for what was seen as the greater good. However time moves on and perhaps he would think differently now about that decision, who knows but the job he does now is excellent for the club and we do all benefit in one way or another.

charlie

Post by charlie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:50 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:The photo's Tim takes are used in the programmes, club advertising and in things like the non-league paper which advertises our club externally in one sense.

He does it free of charge and I think it's an excellent opportunity and a great learning curve for him in something he may wish to progress.

I would suggest contacting one of the players also to see if they would be willing to do a whip round, nearly all of them use Tim's photos as profiles pictures on Facebook/Twitter. Even if 20 players/management put £5 in each it covers a £100 of the cost.

I do see the issue in the fact Tim owns the lens and in theory could stop taking photos and just walk away, that's a choice each person has to make and accept when putting in.

In regards to West Auckland then I think Tim made a mistake in going as he didn't stick with the majority for what was seen as the greater good. However time moves on and perhaps he would think differently now about that decision, who knows but the job he does now is excellent for the club and we do all benefit in one way or another.
I think you've worded what I was trying to say a bit better than I did thanks x

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:33 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:The photo's Tim takes are used in the programmes, club advertising and in things like the non-league paper which advertises our club externally in one sense.

I don't think you could have written a more patronising post if you tried.

I know you mean well but this post comes across dreadfully.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:01 am

Seems fair Tim. I will see what I have come next pay day. The photos do add a lot of value and are used quite widely.

Tell you what I'll do it on one basis (it would need to be based on trust though!)! Once the lens is paid off you continue to pay the same monthly repayments up to £160 back to darlo (hopefully into a new stand fund!).

I kind of echo others though if you are struggling to get together the deposit, are you confident on the monthly repayments?

Do the Echo and other papers pay to use them? Or are they given free in order to get coverage? This is just out of interest more than anything.

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:04 am

A massive thank you to all who have donated or offered to do so, so far. Really appreciate it. To those who have expressed a concern over the monthly payments I'll be making towards it, I'm more then confident all will be fine.

Big Tim

Post by Big Tim » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:08 am

lo36789 wrote:Seems fair Tim. I will see what I have come next pay day. The photos do add a lot of value and are used quite widely.

Tell you what I'll do it on one basis (it would need to be based on trust though!)! Once the lens is paid off you continue to pay the same monthly repayments up to £160 back to darlo (hopefully into a new stand fund!).

I kind of echo others though if you are struggling to get together the deposit, are you confident on the monthly repayments?

Do the Echo and other papers pay to use them? Or are they given free in order to get coverage? This is just out of interest more than anything.
What you have suggested is actually a great idea, something I will definitely be doing. The money I have already received from the NLP has been spent on minor improvements and on software etc..

satchboy69

Post by satchboy69 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:45 am

Big Tim wrote:Right, I said from the start that I wasn't going to do this, however, due to a lack of funds (like everyone else I know) I have not been able to get a good rhythm of income in to save up for a new lens I so desperately need in order to take pics in bad light. What I would like to ask as politely as possible and I'm only asking as I've already had several people come up to me asking to do so, is that if anyone IS WILLING to donate any money, be it just £1 or anything else, that would be a massive help and I'd be extremely appreciative to any who has done so. Now all I need is £160, tops! This amount would allow me to put down a deposit and purchase this lens:

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/pro ... oCXznw_wcB

By purchasing this new piece of equipment I will be able to bring you, the fans, good quality pics in any light.

The rest I will be paying for it monthly out of my own pocket.

Like I said if you're not willing and/or cannot afford to part with any amount of money at this current time, I fully understand and appreciate that.

Details are as follows:

Paypal info: timothy.hickman@ntlworld.com

I you would like to donate straight into my account, just give me a quick PM and I'll provide you with the appropriate info.

Regards

Tim
Hi Tim,

Slightly off topic, but I've noticed you're just starting out on your photographic 'journey' as they say. I think you're doing a great thing for the club, and your pics have been very decent so far, but as you say, we are rapidly heading into the depths of dark nights and cold weather.

Whilst I don't think you'll have 'too' many problems if you get that lense (it'll be the IS that will be of more benefit than the F stop as IS is usually good for 3 stops of light), if you need any help or advice then just drop me a line as a solid 95% of my photos are taken in low light. Fair play if not, but the offer is there. I don't get over to the club much these days but I'm more than happy to help indirectly where I can.

JB
ishootgigs.com

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Tim, well done for the pictures so far. Watching you at work on Saturday I think you need a padded stool for those winter months too! Happy to put a tenner in and ignore Deputy Dawg's comments-keep up the good work!